Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fanbois vs. Trolls - which group is more annoying?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So folks, in the wonderful world of mmo forums, who do you find more annoying? 

How about those trolls, who love to post negative and bashing comments on games that they have decided they don't like, for whatever reason.  Do they play them?  No!!!  But they still love to take time out of their day to post about how crappy a certain game is that they don't play anyway.  Usually there are no constructive or objective arguments, but childish insults and generic "this game will fail!" comments. 

Or is it the head-in-the-sand fanbois?!  You know them well folks, there isn't a single argument or critique you could make of their favorite game, no matter how well presented or on the money, that won't have a rebuttal claiming it just isn't true!  Nothing is more important to them than the idea of their "perfect game" whose image they must uphold at all costs!!!  Defending their sacred game of choice endlessly, they are apt to turn a blind eye to anything that could tarnish the image of their savior..... ahem... game.  Favorite quote:  "haters gonna hate"

Comments

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

Hahaha, nice poll.  For me it is fanbois.  

At least trolls are out for a reaction and a little attention; fanbois are just blinkered, and lacking in objectivity.   

In conclusion being wantonly irritating is better than being wantonly ignorant.  

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Both are equally annoying.

I play SWTOR.  I know there are many flaws, but as long as I am enjoying it, it's ok.  I come to MMORPG and see people that are making  the "Game is dead!" jargon, and I also see the other side where peeps say there is nothing wrong with the game and the whole community is very happy.  Both sides annoy me.

I know there are flaws,  you can't stick your head in the sand and say there are none, and, on the hand, I notice that there is quite a few players still playing, so I really don't think the game is dying either.  As long as I enjoy it, I'll play it.  After all, isn't that what games are for.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Both are annoying.

But even tho they are annoying it dont bother me much, just ignore them, that means i don't reply to them.

Openmind and objectivity is something many don't have im affraid.

There are also the moralist who just point to every one if its not there taste or view on the matter call them fanboi's or trolls they annoy me also hehe.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Trolls are more annoying because they are usually the ones who initiate the flame wars. Fanbois at least have a reason for being there as they are a fan of the game, trolls just want to start shit.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Fanbois are more annoying, especially those who tend to troll other and/or competing games.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

most trolls have no idea what talking about , their opinion are usual based on zero times spend  playing game(or only tutorial & one two missions).

Fanboyz are not objective but they know what talking about!

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Fanboy is overly used and even tho you're being objective and you comment on topic with your own opinion, you'll still end up as being a fanboy because someone doesn't agree with your opinion.

Mostly those people who call out the "fanboy labels" are usually "the haters".. the haters are those who always participate in threads for games they don't care in the slightest and they just bash everyone who likes some aspect of the game or just states something which seems to be good in game.

If you ask me, this group is the winner of this poll :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Fanbois are worse than trolls, but fanbois who troll are the worst.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Fanbois.

They are the most blind because they have played the game. Blind followers are kind of scary in general.

I rarely see trolls. Maybe the OP meant fanbois vs haters. A troll can both present him/herself as hater or fanboi. They do whatever gets the most rise out of people, but are not really interested in the game itself.

I can easily ignore the doom and gloom haters. Fanbois are more annoying because if there are many loud ones they can prevent improvement in a game that you like. While haters are basically ignored by gamedevs, so they are mostly harmless imo.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    most trolls have no idea what talking about , their opinion are usual based on zero times spend  playing game(or only tutorial & one two missions). Fanboyz are not objective but they know what talking about!

I beg to differ, fanboi's dont know what they're talking about because they're so delusional in their misguided following of whatever POS game some developer is thrusting down their throat.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    On MMORPG.com, it's the haters, because there's more of them.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

most trolls have no idea what talking about , their opinion are usual based on zero times spend  playing game(or only tutorial & one two missions).

Fanboyz are not objective but they know what talking about!

See I was going to say that fanboys are way more annoying with their blind faith and ludicrous hopes, and worst if all they call anyone who criticizes or dislikes they game a troll. Just like this guy does preemptively.

Yes there are uninformed haters, but that does not make them trolls. Trolls bait people knowingly, there has to be intention.

Fanboys aren't objective and they rarely know what they're talking about, all they know is that there game is amazing and lalalaI can't hear you lalala.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Fanbois - by far. 

Really good trolls are hilarious.  People tend to throw around the word 'troll' a lot these days - often confusing it with a hater or just your typical douchebag.  But really good trolls are different.  They do it for the lulz.  Of course, you can have bad, fail trolls, who are just..well..fail trolls and are caught bullshitting with no humor attach.

Trolls deliberately post things that they know will be provocative and incite rage or confusion.  Good, successful trolls will do it in a way that subtly exposes the ridiculousness of the people that respond to the post, whether that be their views, their manners, or whatever.  Bad, fail trolls will post something, but since the bait is so crappy, the other posters will not fall for it and will call out the bullshit.  Nothing underlining will be exposed.

So just remember: just because somebody is a hater and/or douchebag doesn't mean they are instantly a troll.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

Voted both, but fanbois are slightly higher. A true fanboi, when presented with a view that differs from theirs, even if it is justified and cited with facts, will take it as a personal attack and respond in kind.

me- I played and didn't like GameZ and it has poor reviews.

fanboi- The reviewers lie and your mother is an inbred mule that got knocked up by a sloth!!!!! GameZ is the greatest game ever!!!! You just suck at it, because you are stupid and dogs go out of their way to piss on your children!!!

true story.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

imageimageimage

The mistake is thinking they aren't three symptoms of exactly the same disease.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    You forgot to add the option of "People who make posts that give attention to the attention starved furthering the problem."

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Fanbois clearly the worst of the lot.

since in an MMO, the devs listen to feedback, however, if there enough fanbois roaming the forums they will remove any feedback and encourage a feature which may not be good for personal taste reasons or actual impractical reasons.

Trolls are easy to ignore, but fanbois are serious and get in the way of useful feedback potentially helping to shape an mmo into something you dont like.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Originally posted by Icewhite

imageimageimage

Nice.  But I would argue that haters question where as fanbois blindly accept.  Both can be trolls but the former is more acceptable than the latter.  

Originally posted by BrucyBonus

Nice.  But I would argue that haters question where as fanbois blindly accept.  Both can be trolls but the former is more acceptable than the latter.  

I would argue that the haters are generally fanbois of another game(s).

Who hates themeparks the most? Why, sandbox fanboys do. Who hates WoW the most? EQ1 fanboys.

Repeat x100000.

Haters, in the classic sense, are formed from a cynical overreaction to forum personal dislike of fanboys. The other player, standing on the opposite side of the same "forum pvp" tennis match.

"Troll", in the frequently-reported sense, is "just someone I really don't like".

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

imageimageimage

I would argue that the haters are generally fanbois of another game(s).

Who hates themeparks the most? Why, sandbox fanboys do.

So the poll should read, who are worse, fanbois or fanbois? 

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    At least trolls are amusing sometimes.......Hang on! So are Fanbois but for other reasons.......Oh I can't decide.
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    You forgot to add the option of "People who make posts that give attention to the attention starved furthering the problem."

Ohhhhh BURN!!  got me!!!!! 

So the poll should read, who are worse, fanbois or fanbois? 

The poll should read: Awaiting moderator shutdown? (Yes/Yes)

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Both are cancer.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I hate the people that want to try a new game without reading up on it. Then when they find out the game was not trying to be a genre breaker, they come to forums and cry about it.
This discussion has been closed.