Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

920,000 Beta Registrations

2»

Comments

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Is this game still in beta? I did some beta in it like 3 years ago or something, unbelivable.
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Vidir
    Is this game still in beta? I did some beta in it like 3 years ago or something, unbelivable.

It launched and utterly failed before one week was through

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59
    This game definitely needs a second chance. People are still writing it off, but I think you'll be surprised once you try the game out. It really has changed that much.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Keep in mind that people that originally bought the game didn't even have to apply for the PC test.  I don't know what metric their numbers work on, but I'm sure some original purchasers signed up for the PS3 beta, as you had to sign up for that separately.  There's bound to be some overlap, but it's good to see that there's some genuine interest.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Didn't  SWTOR have something like 2.2 million people signed up for beta. That turned out well in the end.
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Didn't  SWTOR have something like 2.2 million people signed up for beta. That turned out well in the end.

Aye, I think there is a direct correlation between SWTOR's beta tester numbers and the flop that resulted afterwards.

Seriously people, lol.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Aye, I think there is a direct correlation between SWTOR's beta tester numbers and the flop that resulted afterwards.

Seriously people, lol.

Sorry I didn't think I needed to spell that point out, it seemed really obvious but...

Large numbers of ppl wanting to be in beta in no way shows the games quality or that it will have mass appeal. All it means is that a large number of people want to try it because they've heard of the IP.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    yeah and that means absolutely nothing....Wartune, a crappy browser game, has over 50 million registered.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    yeah and that means absolutely nothing....Wartune, a crappy browser game, has over 50 million registered.

hey its just numbers

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

nothing gives away from this number about the game thats true, but the amount of positive feedback from people playing the beta is staggering. So I would assume since the cost of the game really cheap, SE is banking on getting the players play the trail period after buying the game and get them hooked by then. and combining the feedback above with the release plan, I would also bank the number of players will hit 1mil or close to it after release.

retention of players though is different story , depends on how much end game SE is preparing and the overall community. from 1.0 , the instances are overdone and average so I hope they add the 24 man raids and newer instances as well.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Sorry I didn't think I needed to spell that point out, it seemed really obvious but...

Large numbers of ppl wanting to be in beta in no way shows the games quality or that it will have mass appeal. All it means is that a large number of people want to try it because they've heard of the IP.

Well it wasn't obvious at all.

You made it seem like having a lot of beta testers is somehow a bad thing.

You're still wrong though. The original XIV had maybe half the amount of testers, and ARR is a much better game. Quality and the amount of testers goes hand in hand there.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by k11keeper
    What about people like me who applied with 5 different emails and still didn't get in? I'm sure there are plenty of people who applied multiple times so I don't really know what this indicates exactly.

i did with 3 accounts and got nothing. I got in thanks to a post in this forums with a link  to a russian(or german) site with a giveaway lol.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

What this # does mean is that beta applications have doubled in a pretty short time, especially since phase 3 and the NDA going down.

I understand people apply for big name IP's and AAA MMO's all the time.  But prior to phase 3, be honest most people on this site and elsewhere had written off FFXIV.  I think having a game become more popular AFTER people know more about it, rather than just when very little is known is a very good sign.

It is the opposite of how hype on this website usually works.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Well it wasn't obvious at all.

You made it seem like having a lot of beta testers is somehow a bad thing.

You're still wrong though. The original XIV had maybe half the amount of testers, and ARR is a much better game. Quality and the amount of testers goes hand in hand there.

No I made it seem like the number of testers signed up was totally irrelevant to the outcome of the game. Which makes the last part of your post, kind of..... /facepalm

• Anfere31Anfere31 Member UncommonPosts: 48

I tried the beta, loved it, pre ordered, made all my friends sign up for the beta, showed them the game from home, they were amazed and pre ordered too. 

The strenght of the game, is that it was pretty much going under the radar for a long time, and it's not their marketing or PR that made them gain people, but mouth to mouth and people talking about their experience and how awsome this game is turning to be. It's actually the first time for me that i get sucked in because of how good the game is instead of how good the PR of the game is. Usually i fell for the innovation ! new system ! crazy action fighting ! advertisement and just get led down in the end. This time, i stumbled by luck into a key, didn't know anything about the game, and just got to make my own idea about the game.

Most people i talked to about FFXIV didn't even know about the game being released again, they just remembered how bad it was, and that's it. Then when i tell them about it, they get curious and check it out, and they see for themselvs and just get sucked in too.

The efforts, dedication, and great ideas of the team behind FFXIV:ARR are getting noticed. They pretty much share all the information they have and their plans with the community. Even if you are not in the beta, you have so much informations and messages from Yoshi P about the game and the plans and all, that you can form you'r own opinion. You don't need to get fooled by crazy PR, just see for yourself. And i think people like it and trust their judgement over shady advertisement.