Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the top 5 classes you want to see in EQN?

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Jigawatts
    Originally posted by Palebane

Would be neat to have to scout for and disarm traps. I was always disappointed EQ didn't do more with this feature for rogues and the like. Also, please leave out the Frogloks. They are creepier than murlocks or mirefins.

+1

Anything they can do that adds more of the freeform and immersive elements of a tabletop D&D game in video game form, I am all for incorporating.

-50 for the Froglok comment though.  EQ1 Frogloks were badass.  

One of the strengths of Norrath is its diverse races.  Frogloks and Ratonga better be in.  Im also a big fan of EQ2 trolls.  EQ1 Iksar please, not EQ2.  I think playing EQ1/2, WoW and SWG spoiled me because when I load up a  game like Rift or LOTRO the lack of racial choices is depressing.  At least LOTRO supports theirs with robust racial cities/towns and they have a reason to only have those.  As far as Rift, starting your own fantasy rpg game world and only having basically 4 races just screams "lack of creativity".

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Shadow Knight

Bard

Druid

Beserker

Necromancer

And as for necromancer....OP is that what you meant by warlock? Or did you mean eq2 warlock? or...dare I ask, WoW?

• JigawattsJigawatts Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Roguewiz
    overpowdered rouges

My Ogre like powdered rogues, he wants to know if they come with sprinkles on top?

Yep, and if they're halfling, I hear they're filled with pie.

Mmmmm, pie. Halfling Anything's are the tastiest.

Just bash them over the head once or twice to make them go down easier.  I hear they bite, kick, and scratch if you don't.  You definitely don't want to be bitten by one.  Halflings carry a slew of diseases, much like rats, but worse.

Better than Dwarves...I hear they are infested with parasites crawling around their innards.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Only want 1.  Glass jawed Ranger.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Would be neat to have to scout for and disarm traps. I was always disappointed EQ didn't do more with this feature for rogues and the like. Also, please leave out the Frogloks. They are creepier than murlocks or mirefins.

+1

Anything they can do that adds more of the freeform and immersive elements of a tabletop D&D game in video game form, I am all for incorporating.

One of the strengths of Norrath is its diverse races.  Frogloks and Ratonga better be in.  Im also a big fan of EQ2 trolls.  EQ1 Iksar please, not EQ2.  I think playing EQ1/2, WoW and SWG spoiled me because when I load up a  game like Rift or LOTRO the lack of racial choices is depressing.  At least LOTRO supports theirs with robust racial cities/towns and they have a reason to only have those.  As far as Rift, starting your own fantasy rpg game world and only having basically 4 races just screams "lack of creativity".

I actually didn't mean to quote the Froglok part, as that was an edit add-on to his original post and I didn't read closely enough, only the part about rogues scouting and trap disarming was supposed to be included.

I concur, give me a metric ton of racial options.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

No classes.  SWG advancement system.

minus the light sabers

minus the blasters

minus the overpowered Jedi

But definitely must have overpowdered rouges :)

You will never have another swg.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

+1

I actually didn't mean to quote the Froglok part, as that was an edit add-on to his original post and I didn't read closely enough, only the part about rogues scouting and trap disarming was supposed to be included.

I concur, give me a metric ton of racial options.

Frogs belong in stew or on the end of a fishing hook. Seeing one wielding a sword or casting a spell is disturbing. Lizards and cats, fine. Mice, ok. But frogs? C'mon...

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Kw22Kw22 Member UncommonPosts: 21

1. Bard- the Original EQ1 bard, not Late EQ1/EQ2.  Twisting songs was a unique game mechanic, it made bards who wanted to develop carpal tunnel extremely valuable and lazy bards well.. less valuable.  The instruments affecting their songs was also great, there was nothing like running through zones with a Bard that had an awesome drum.  

2. Druid - EQ1.  They were truly the jack of all trades character.  Heals, buffs, damage, ports, charming, quad kite soloing.  They had everything.

3. Enchanter - Probably the most sought after class for groups, best CC, best mana regen.

4. Monk -  Splitting mobs/camps actually required some skill, plus I always love damage/tank hybrids.

5.  Every other class which brought unique playstyles and abilities to a party.  I smash my head against my desk when I read people wanting a "skill" system where any character can be anything.  

My favorite part of an MMO is deciding what class to play, the alternative of "Well i'm going to level as a damage dealer then around 40 i'll switch to a healer so we can do X____X then endgame ill switch to a tank" is despressing.   Pick a class you want to play, if it doesn't suit you... try something else.  

Keep the good ole days of seeing level 60 clerics with rez sticks running around and you could immediately identify who they are and they had invested time into a specific role.  I don't want to see that same person swapping between a healing mace, 2 handed axe, or a staff. 

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380
    <div cfbody"="">

Shadow Knight

Assassin

Ranger

Monk

Necromancer

Warden / Fury

Bard

Conjuror

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Necro

SK

Wiz

Dru

Shm

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215

Druid

Beastlord

Necromancer

Ranger

Wizard

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Controller
    Defender
    Brick
    Scrapper
    Blaster

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• EreanaEreana Member Posts: 2

Wizard

Chanter

Druid

And to the question/comment about fizzle?  

Yes,  I know it!!!   Guildies set up a meeting  and we played Fizzle Strip Poker  in a Qeynos bar - every time you fizzled -off with a piece of clothing.  As a h/e ranger at the time....I never did stop fizzling ... and was soon nakkie.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I agree there will probably be classes although I hope they take some inspiration from systems like Rift, FFXI, and TSW and incorporate flexibility.

I took issue with you thinking EQ should be the primary inspiration.  Both games have a lot to offer.  EQ isn't a better game than EQ2 especially as they age.

And note Smed mentioned Druids, he said nothing of EQ vs EQ2.  That was something you made up.

Please no Rift system.  i dont want to be an amoeba able to completely change my focus at any time.  

Multiclassing in general is good though but as far as multiple specs, I think WoW has it correct:  2 specs is more than enough.  plenty of WoW classes have 3 or more viable options but WoW has chosen to keep with 2 specs because they know that it gets silly if your character can do everything.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Controller
    Defender
    Brick
    Scrapper
    Blaster

+1

but -1 : its Tank not Brick

so I guess you're even.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Controller
    Defender
    Brick
    Scrapper
    Blaster

What about mastermind?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jarrishijarrishi Member Posts: 6

Shaman

Berserker

Monk

Bard

Enchanter

^^^ very unique classes from EQ1

Originally posted by Kw22

1. Bard- the Original EQ1 bard, not Late EQ1/EQ2.  Twisting songs was a unique game mechanic, it made bards who wanted to develop carpal tunnel extremely valuable and lazy bards well.. less valuable.  The instruments affecting their songs was also great, there was nothing like running through zones with a Bard that had an awesome drum.  

2. Druid - EQ1.  They were truly the jack of all trades character.  Heals, buffs, damage, ports, charming, quad kite soloing.  They had everything.

3. Enchanter - Probably the most sought after class for groups, best CC, best mana regen.

4. Monk -  Splitting mobs/camps actually required some skill, plus I always love damage/tank hybrids.

5.  Every other class which brought unique playstyles and abilities to a party.  I smash my head against my desk when I read people wanting a "skill" system where any character can be anything.  

My favorite part of an MMO is deciding what class to play, the alternative of "Well i'm going to level as a damage dealer then around 40 i'll switch to a healer so we can do X____X then endgame ill switch to a tank" is despressing.   Pick a class you want to play, if it doesn't suit you... try something else.  

Keep the good ole days of seeing level 60 clerics with rez sticks running around and you could immediately identify who they are and they had invested time into a specific role.  I don't want to see that same person swapping between a healing mace, 2 handed axe, or a staff. 

Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Since this is a new game with maybe not so nailed down a class I would pick as follows.

Druid::: The standard one everyone knows but allow more directions to go within the template without locking it to a specific calling.

Alchemist/ Poison Rogue::: Would be sick to sneak up and toss a chemical field in a large group of enemy players and then bomb them with a root grenade so they can't escape. Then go stealth again and use a poisoned dagger on those that make it out of your trap.

Mage Tank:::So basically a caster that can wear plate with no deductions and use a good chunk of spells. Some that are direct nuke while others are force push or aoe damage etc.

Shaman/Beastlord hybrid::::Would mostly use pet to taunt and take turns getting hit. Would have access to slows and hastes and dots and heals and hots.

Bard/Enchanter:::Would be able to play instruments to do all sorts of things like the original bard. Would also have access to a large assortment of trickery. For instance could make it look like a full group of players is running toward you and casting spells and about to kick your booty. Or cast a spell and suddenly you have switched locations with the target. Many other crazy things could be done with this class.

There are many many more I would like to see or maybe just the full selection of the old style classes would do just as well. Just would be quite fun to dabble in skills to create your own unique subclasses.

• SneakyTurtleSneakyTurtle Member Posts: 41

Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.

+1 I like that perspective 

- SneakyTurtle

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by MajiinX

Obviously not naming all of them but what are the 5 classes you really want in EQN. 

1.  Shadowknight

2.  Beastlord

3.  Enchanter

4.  Shaman

5.  Rogue

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

1. Necro

2. Shadowknight

3. Paladin

4. Bard

5. Beastlord

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Praying they dont go with a classles system and too snadbox, dont want everyone tpo be the same character.

if it is a real EQ game then it needs diversity and classes.

Ranger and four other classes for me :)

• HrethHreth Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Telil Praying they dont go with a classles system and too snadbox, dont want everyone tpo be the same character. if it is a real EQ game then it needs diversity and classes. Ranger and four other classes for me :)
    That statement is extremely contradictory. If anything, a classless system encourages diversity, because everyone makes their own custom class, and there would literally be millions of different possible combinations. The class system is the one that makes everyone a copy-paste of everyone else (of the same class).
  • KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90

Every other class which brought unique playstyles and abilities to a party.  I smash my head against my desk when I read people wanting a "skill" system where any character can be anything.  

The only game i've ever played with a skill system was Ultima Online and even though it added options, 90% of players had the same build because it was the best.  The most diversity was among the PvE players where people still rolled a fighter or archer type character, or even a bard or animal tamer.  The PvP players were almost all Halby-Mages because it was a very difficult build to defeat, unless you were the same.