Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift has full control over your pc-everything is monitored

2»

Comments

  • mastersomratmastersomrat Saint Charles, MOMember Posts: 368
    Wow, that cat looks pis***!
  • BigmamajamaBigmamajama Houston, TXMember Posts: 198
    If you had learned to read even earlier in life you would of know that this is pretty standard fair for an MMO.
  • DihoruDihoru ConstantaMember Posts: 2,731
    [mod edit]

    image
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAMember Posts: 10,910 Common

    It's not clear in the EULA, but they are going to check your computer's configuration and the chat sessions in game. Both of which should be a fairly obvious thing and shouldn't surprise anyone.

    They are not going to record your ventrillo chat sessions and they are not going to go through the contents of your hard drive.

    ** ** **

    If you don't believe me, install the game as an admin, then run the game as a limited user. Only games or applications that try to root your system with security software will require you to run the application as an admin. Games that don't require admin to run may complain about what they can't do, but they aren't trying to monitor or track external applications.

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • AcidonAcidon behind you..Member Posts: 795 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Well the monitoring was a necessary evil because of the insane abundance of Fishing Bots .. People would openly admit it because they thought it was okay.  They've had to combat that by looking for programs like AutoHotkey and such. The rest seems to me like the average legal covering of their asses when it comes to cyber-bullying.   Lastly, I can only see someone being worried if they have something to hide.  I'm not worried.

    So you don't mind people peeking through your window, because you have nothing to hide, right?

    That's actually kind of a turn-on. 

    I hear you, and I see your point, but I really don't care. =)

  • AcidonAcidon behind you..Member Posts: 795 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Malvious

    LMAO..  That cat.. "Of all the owners, I get THIS one"

  • WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTMember Posts: 3,652 Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Yep its been known since launch - and it paid off for them - have you ever seen a Rift Grey shard server? It doesn't exist. They monitor for any programs that scan Rifts memory space while the game is running, any tampering with memory offsets sets off red flags, so good luck trying to run cheat engine. The chat stuff is standard - if NSA(not that they would haha) or FBI ask for the chat logs, they will hand them over - just like Blizzard, Sony etc... Also your title is highly misleading  Rift does NOT have full control over your PC - that is pure misinformation

    These days No Such doesn't need to ask anyone for anything... ^^ Trion is just doing the usual CYA. Nothing special.  As for the other, Jay Leno said the other night " The American people have always said they wanted a government that listens to them. Now they have one..."  ^^

  • doodphacedoodphace Vancouver, BCMember Posts: 1,858 Uncommon
    Originally posted by makii
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by makii
    Well they have full access to your hard drive. good or bad?

    This is wrong, Rift does not have *full* access to your hard drive, they have extremely limited access. Rifts client has access to your hard drive to read and write game data and log file.

     

     

    No it says clearly,*without any limitation to your harddrive*

    I can't believe I have to clarify this, but they gather information ABOUT YOUR HARD DRIVE...not whats on it....IE..."Western Digital 500 gig" etc......i really cant believe that needed to be said.....

  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXMember Posts: 3,400 Uncommon

    This is in just about every EULA....the EULA is an acronym for "We can do whatever we want to you, your computer, family, anything you know, anything you own, and there's nothing you can do about it."

     

    People used to call me paranoid, but these days I get to say I told you so....they're watching shhh!

  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAMember Posts: 5,386 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    Originally posted by Acidon
    Well the monitoring was a necessary evil because of the insane abundance of Fishing Bots .. People would openly admit it because they thought it was okay.  They've had to combat that by looking for programs like AutoHotkey and such. The rest seems to me like the average legal covering of their asses when it comes to cyber-bullying.   Lastly, I can only see someone being worried if they have something to hide.  I'm not worried.

    So you don't mind people peeking through your window, because you have nothing to hide, right?

    My windows are covered with reflective film. It keeps out the alien mind control transmissions. You should try it. image

    "Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

  • chaintmchaintm Chicago, ILMember Posts: 972 Common
    simple, just never use any electronic devices and you got no worries.

    "The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXMember Posts: 3,400 Uncommon
    Originally posted by chaintm
    simple, just never use any electronic devices and you got no worries.

    Serial numbers on money is tracked by the government also...so if you use cash, you're SOL too...

  • tank017tank017 Glendale, CAMember Posts: 2,192

    its the NSA!!

     

    derrrr evvverrrywheerrrrrrrrrr!!

  • SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAMember Posts: 2,341 Uncommon
    Originally posted by rensta
    In the near future you will have 2 computers,one for gaming,and another one for child porn.

    In the future? HOOHAA!

    That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderMember Posts: 9,356 Rare
    Originally posted by makii
    by agreeing theyr EULA in the install process, you give every bit of your privace to them on a silver plate. In EU this is highly illegal.   A. WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) AND/OR CPU PROCESSES (INCLUDING MAC ADDRESS, SYSTEM OR CONFIGURATION FILES, CRASH DATA, ETC.) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH A GAME. AN “UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM” AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE THAT, WHEN USED SIMULTANEOUSLY OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE GAME, WOULD CONSTITUTE A VIOLATION OF SECTIONS 1, 2 OR 11. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, TRION MAY (I) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO TRION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE ACCOUNT INFORMATION, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM WAS DETECTED; AND/OR (II) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER ANY TRION AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.

    B. WHEN THE GAME IS RUNNING, TRION MAY OBTAIN CERTAIN IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR HARD DRIVES, CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT, IP ADDRESS(ES) AND OPERATING SYSTEM(S), FOR PURPOSES OF IMPROVING THE GAME AND/OR THE SERVICE, AND TO POLICE AND ENFORCE THE PROVISIONS OF ANY TRION AGREEMENT.

    C. Trion may, with or without notice to you, disclose your Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), personal information, chat logs, and other information about you and your activities: (angel) in response to a request by law enforcement, a court order or other legal process; or (beer) if Trion believes that doing so may protect your safety or the safety of others.

    D. TRION MAY MONITOR, RECORD, REVIEW, MODIFY AND/OR DISCLOSE YOUR CHAT SESSIONS, WHETHER VOICE OR TEXT, WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU, AND YOU HEREBY CONSENT TO SUCH MONITORING, RECORDING, REVIEW, MODIFICATION AND/OR DISCLOSURE. Additionally, you acknowledge that Trion is under no obligation to monitor your electronic communications, and you engage in those communications at your own risk and with no expectation of privacy."

    think logical.

     

    B, is used to set up your graphics with best settings, and to find illegal programs used for cheating.

    D. Is used to keep the chat channels at bay and to catch gold sellers and people misbehaving in chat.

     

    Both are needed to keep the game running at a decent level.  Don´t make it look worse then it is.

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • fyerwallfyerwall Member Posts: 3,240 Uncommon
    Originally posted by makii
    by agreeing theyr EULA in the install process, you give every bit of your privace to them on a silver plate. In EU this is highly illegal.   A. WHEN RUNNING, THE GAME MAY MONITOR YOUR COMPUTER'S RANDOM ACCESS MEMORY (RAM) AND/OR CPU PROCESSES (INCLUDING MAC ADDRESS, SYSTEM OR CONFIGURATION FILES, CRASH DATA, ETC.) FOR UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS RUNNING CONCURRENTLY WITH A GAME. AN “UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM” AS USED HEREIN SHALL BE DEFINED AS ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE THAT, WHEN USED SIMULTANEOUSLY OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE GAME, WOULD CONSTITUTE A VIOLATION OF SECTIONS 1, 2 OR 11. IN THE EVENT THAT THE GAME DETECTS AN UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM, TRION MAY (I) COMMUNICATE INFORMATION BACK TO TRION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE ACCOUNT INFORMATION, DETAILS ABOUT THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM DETECTED, AND THE TIME AND DATE THE UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTY PROGRAM WAS DETECTED; AND/OR (II) EXERCISE ANY OR ALL OF ITS RIGHTS UNDER ANY TRION AGREEMENT, WITH OR WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE TO THE USER.

    B. WHEN THE GAME IS RUNNING, TRION MAY OBTAIN CERTAIN IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR COMPUTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR HARD DRIVES, CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT, IP ADDRESS(ES) AND OPERATING SYSTEM(S), FOR PURPOSES OF IMPROVING THE GAME AND/OR THE SERVICE, AND TO POLICE AND ENFORCE THE PROVISIONS OF ANY TRION AGREEMENT.

    C. Trion may, with or without notice to you, disclose your Internet Protocol (IP) address(es), personal information, chat logs, and other information about you and your activities: (angel) in response to a request by law enforcement, a court order or other legal process; or (beer) if Trion believes that doing so may protect your safety or the safety of others.

    D. TRION MAY MONITOR, RECORD, REVIEW, MODIFY AND/OR DISCLOSE YOUR CHAT SESSIONS, WHETHER VOICE OR TEXT, WITHOUT NOTICE TO YOU, AND YOU HEREBY CONSENT TO SUCH MONITORING, RECORDING, REVIEW, MODIFICATION AND/OR DISCLOSURE. Additionally, you acknowledge that Trion is under no obligation to monitor your electronic communications, and you engage in those communications at your own risk and with no expectation of privacy."

    Pretty standard EULA you have there.

    Wanna see scary?

    Download the EULA from an Apple product....

    There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"


    image

  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Ul''dah, CAMember Posts: 1,746 Uncommon

     

    I believe this is also illegal in the U.S. in accordance with the Patriot Act.  Though it's been a long time since I've read that -- probably like ten years -- so I might be mistaking that for something else.  This issue once came up with FFXI and people changing the .dat files so that they could make the game look better and this act was referenced as to why Square would never be able to ban you for editing these files since it's illegal to detect.  That is of course unless someone admits to using them in game.

     

    Though I'd be interested in reading the full EULA of Rift now.

     

    As a whole I don't know how I feel about it.  It kind've sucks that companies have such a hard time detecting cheaters simply because of these laws, but on the other side they do protect some kinds of rights.

     

  • evilastroevilastro EdinburghMember Posts: 4,270
    I like how people think they have any sort of privacy online. If your computer or device is connected to the internet, the government alraedy knows exactly what is on your device and what you are looking at.
  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAMember Posts: 5,386 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk
      I believe this is also illegal in the U.S. in accordance with the Patriot Act.    

    The Patriot Act nullifies your fourth amendment protections. It doesn't make anything anyone does to you illegal.  

    Originally posted by evilastro
    I like how people think they have any sort of privacy online. If your computer or device is connected to the internet, the government alraedy knows exactly what is on your device and what you are looking at.

     

    They would if they had time to wade through 150 million plus hard drives every day and continuously monitor all internet connections in real time. It would be like sifting through a garbage dump looking for a clean spoon. Without knowing something about who they're targeting they're flying blind.  If you're an honest citizen once they decide to target you though you're pretty well screwed. If they were all that good at catching bad guys all the Anonymous hackers would be in jail. Think about it.

     

    "Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

  • shalissarshalissar Member Posts: 453 Uncommon

    Now there's a glut of monkeys howling about privacy from 3rd party program detection software.

    A few million hackers and script kiddies are NOT WORTH YOUR PRIVACY.

    Thanks, Snowden.

  • ArthasmArthasm LoznicaMember Posts: 780 Uncommon

    Nothing to worry about. If you played Wow, you sure know about Warden http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warden_(software).

    Also, it's in Blizzard's EULA. It's somehow normal for them to fight against cheaters, gold sellers, etc.

    I would worry about other F2P games, mostly made in China, which installs shits on your computer without EULA/ToS, like AeriaGames and other moneymilk bastards companies.

     

    If you cheating, doing illegal RMT, you should be concerned.

  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember Posts: 3,125 Uncommon
    It's the...ILLUMINATI!!!!

    RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! THEY WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND US THERE...

    p.s. I live in the Nuclear Fallout Bunker(NFB). Dam nobody's coming in unless invited! You gotta try a NFB once-you haven't lived until you tried it ;)
  • PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulMember Posts: 670
    Originally posted by saurus123
    hey OP maybe you should check your mobile phone company   they monitor every world you are saying also they can track you down anywhere you are :)

    This.

     

    And dude, do you even use facebook?

     

    Privacy in this day and age? If you want that, you're going to have to go completely offline and analog. Otherwise, assume Big Brother is watching and listening to you everywhere.

     

     

     

  • GaoxinGaoxin GermanyMember Posts: 198 Uncommon
    Originally posted by rensta
    In the near future you will have 2 computers,one for gaming,and another one for child porn.

    made my night

  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOMember Posts: 2,732 Uncommon
    Originally posted by shalissar
    Now there's a glut of monkeys howling about privacy from 3rd party program detection software. A few million hackers and script kiddies are NOT WORTH YOUR PRIVACY. Thanks, Snowden.

    Not sure I understand your post, but I'll leave this here for anyone interested:

     

    “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety” - Ben Franklin

    I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.