Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 years, 5 months, 2 weeks and counting since I've spent $ on a new MMO...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Thx DCUO for the $35 box (with promo and 30 days of free sub that persuaded me). You were a great 3 month experience. I did come back over the years as well to enjoy it for free and spending $5 on few expansions with more promos.

Anyways, back on topic...My $ are useless when I got nothing interesting to spend em on. Is making a MMO a very big challenge over the years or in general are we seeing more newbies than ever involved developing this genre?

So I'll make this lovely poll...I already know that I'm not the target audience companies go after "maximum level experienced" when it comes to gaming. I must admit, I've managed to spent my time over the year catching up on other things life has to offer, but it's sad overall that the technology has been avaliable out there and still there is no experienced developers that can succeed in attracting veteran players like me with overall great product.

Everquest Next got 35% chance to take my $ in 2014 with current info avaliable.

Star Citizen got 25% chance to take my $ in 2014.

Titan got 40% chance to take my $ in 2016

Insert random MMO here (World of Darkness, Arche Age, Black Desert, etc) that might turn into a miracle got 5% to take my $.

So that means there is a 105% chance that a developer will release a MMO sufficient enough to take my $ until end of 2016... I can share few hints that all these developers should take for getting my $

#1 Pure sandbox (Themeparks get quickly abandoned after you ride the same rides over and over)

#2 Keeps me busy. Be able to develop a single chr for year+ (playing it from morning till evening)

#3 Must not be a repetitive grind (doing this task) Must be different experience.

All these 3 things already been done multiple times in the past, so they are not impossible. Combined with strong security, minimum bugs and no methods to exploit the economy will result in one enjoyable MMO that I have not seen since WOW came in the market.

Comments

• VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    What a useless thread.  Please close this thread, close your mmorpg.com account and go away.

-Verenath-

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

You will spend monies on FFXIV. 

Why?

Cause you will not be able to resist the magic. 

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by vission
    What a useless thread.  Please close this thread, close your mmorpg.com account and go away.

Helping developers to take my $ and in general helping the majority of the community one day to enjoy one MMO for a year + is far less useless, than replaying and ranting with trolling and negativity in random threads.

That being said, you are the last troll I'll be able to replay to. Only constructive replays that are actually related to the thread posted above will deserve my response.

Originally posted by Braindome

You will spend monies on FFXIV. 

Why?

Cause you will not be able to resist the magic. 

Hehe, there was a time when I went to future shop and stumbled "and changed my mind" right before I entered to buy the game. It was a close call, but I managed to dodge that bullet. I did buy FFXI thu and as a huge FF fan, I really hope the best for FFXIV Reborn. I just don't see it thu, not as a themepark, raiding MMO with achivement system and many other things already been overdone in this genre.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Well, first, adding percentages doesn't work anything like that :P

I doubt Titan will suit your needs, blizzard has never made a game like that. EQNext could be.. but so far it's just talk so who knows what's going to happen there. Star Citizen looks like it's going to have themed zones aplenty..

I think Black Desert looks the most promising for you so far.. in that we've actually seen the game. Still little proper info about it though.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

I'm sure developer's are now wringing their hands trying to find a way to meet your needs.  I know I'm riveted. 

Will they succeed?  Will the industry finally come together in a show of solidarity and pull this one off?  If not, will the sun rise? 

Governments across the globe are pouring money into this effort in a last ditch attempt to get you the game above all games!

WAIT!  HAVE THEY PRAYED TO KOPOGERO YET???!!!  HAVE THEY GOTTEN HIS BLESSING???!!!

Can I have my 45 seconds back that I took to actually respond to this?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

I'm sure developer's are now wringing their hands trying to find a way to meet your needs.  I know I'm riveted. 

Will they succeed?  Will the industry finally come together in a show of solidarity and pull this one off?  If not, will the sun rise? 

Governments across the globe are pouring money into this effort in a last ditch attempt to get you the game above all games!

WAIT!  HAVE THEY PRAYED TO KOPOGERO YET???!!!  HAVE THEY GOTTEN HIS BLESSING???!!!

You type fast.

Also, narcissism.

Not you, him.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Just so you know:

35/100

25/100

40/100

5/100

=

105/400

= about a 25% chance. (26.25%)

That's not me trying to flame you.. but that's how you add percentages :)

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor

Well, first, adding percentages doesn't work anything like that :P

I doubt Titan will suit your needs, blizzard has never made a game like that. EQNext could be.. but so far it's just talk so who knows what's going to happen there. Star Citizen looks like it's going to have themed zones aplenty..

I think Black Desert looks the most promising for you so far.. in that we've actually seen the game. Still little proper info about it though.

The biggest irony is how I managed to actually enjoy the WOW era after the great Ultima Online and SWG sandbox experience, but Cataclysm was simply the nail in the coffin for Blizzard.

Wrath of the Lich King was one epic lore. I did manage to find ways to enjoy that game as long as I could, through side competitive PvP'ing in arenas and RBG's, mount collecting and more, but the lack of initiative from Blizzard to merge dying servers, and add incentive for successful hardmode raiding ruined it. That combined with the win trading and massive ladder abuse that's been going on and allowed made WOW overall an unenjoyable experience.

I do hope Titan is success as sandbox or themepark experience and wish the best for Blizzard. They will just really have to ask themself how much greedy can we be without shooting ourself in the knee at the end and let a great product once vanish slowly in the abyss.

Originally posted by Pale_Fire

If I was on your place I would actually invest 45 more sec to read MMORPG's policy, cuz they aren't too kind when it comes to involving politics :)

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    You forgot the " who gives a shit " option in the poll.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Kopogero
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    You forgot the " who gives a shit " option in the poll.

Except you? Well pretty much just everyone else that is involved in developing MMO's or plans to in near future with the key word long, lasting "success", something I and many others had hard time withnessing with this particular genre.

How do you know what you want would create a long lasting successful mmo ? It'd be a game you'd play but can you really say you are somehow the benchmark for what players want in an mmo ?

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    This thread serves no purpose...
This discussion has been closed.