Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this game demand you group ?

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
When I have looked into Final Fantasy games in the past I was told the games were VERY group oriented .That grouping was required to advance your character beyond the lowest levels. Is that the case with this game or can you solo and advance your character without mandatory grouping ?

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Yes, you must group. You must group for early on Story missions, and to get any respectable gear you will group for dungeons(only got to 34Glad/17Conj during the beta, so thats the extent of my knowledge)

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    For leveling up you don't need to group if you really don't want, but for dungeons, and advancing the story quest early on you will have to group at times.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Grouping isn't entirely mandatory in that you can still get things done if you don't have a group.  You just won't get the best items in the game without a group, and most story elements will be too difficult to get past without some people to help you out with it.  There will be outlets to do solo when you don't have any friends on, but the most efficient stuff will likely come from being in a group (as well as advancing the storyline).

"Yes. There is some solo content but higher up and for your second/third class you will need to look for a experience group." - Taus01

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    You dont need to group however if you group up with people you will optimize your leveling by grouping with people.  For example I got more EXP out of fate running with friends than I did solo.  Instances also give you more EXP than questing solo.  Also there are guildhiest which can only be done by a group and give good EXP vs just quest.  I will be honest this is why myself and several of my friends are moving to this game.  We are also setting aside 2 maybe 3 days a week where we will play together and level faster and in a more enjoyable atmosphere than in other MMOs.
  • Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584

Short answer YES.

Long answer . You only really need to group as stated above IF you want to advance parts of the story ( main story quests) If you want the BEST exp you will find it in dungeon parties . Next best is solo FATE . If you want the better to best gear you will need a party ( again dungeons ) To do dungeons you need parties ranging in size from 4 or 8 to as many as 24 max I believe ( EG?) As for solo dungeons as of now there are none . And I don't see them adding any . After all this is a MMO . You should play together that is the main reason to play a MMO. If you want to solo all the time then stick to RPGs like Skyrim and Dragons Dogma . Just sayin

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Yes you have to group to progress at several key missions. Im hoping SE will make a solo option to complete duties. Luckily there is a dungeon finder in the works, cross server even

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

I am certainly not trying to disagree with everyone in thread because there is a good chance they are farther than me in the story.

As a level 17 gladiator I have yet to need a group to complete the story line quests.  I completed the level 15 quest this past weekend and a did about 8 quests in the line after that, most of them were just "run here, talk this guy" type quests after a big plot quest at 15.

Like I said, I am not trying to disagree, just shedding a little more info.  I am pretty sure Square has said that grouping won't be needed for the story quests until 15, so there is a good chance I was about to encounter my first quest needing a group.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Yes. There is some solo content but higher up and for your second/third class you will need to look for a experience group.

For your first job/class you will not need to group to around level 15. But if you do the main quest and your class quests you need to team up for the dungeons and later missions for the grand companies.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by Inigo_Montoya

Short answer YES.

Long answer . You only really need to group as stated above IF you want to advance parts of the story ( main story quests) If you want the BEST exp you will find it in dungeon parties . Next best is solo FATE . If you want the better to best gear you will need a party ( again dungeons ) To do dungeons you need parties ranging in size from 4 or 8 to as many as 24 max I believe ( EG?) As for solo dungeons as of now there are none . And I don't see them adding any . After all this is a MMO . You should play together that is the main reason to play a MMO. If you want to solo all the time then stick to RPGs like Skyrim and Dragons Dogma . Just sayin

MMO does not mean being tied to the hip of other players just to get stuff done. I don't know where people come up with this meaning of mmos means you must group with other players. [mod edit]

massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. Many games have at least one persistent world, however others just have large numbers of players competing at once in one form or another without any lasting effect to the world at all.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres.

No were in that definition does it says that you have to group with other people. Interaction can range anywhere from grouping, to trading and chatting or just seeing other players out in the world. To OP in order to advance your main story line you will need to group for 3 starter dungeons. Final Fantasy games have always been single player games up until 11, but they have always revolved around a party based system. The only thing is that you controlled all of the members of your party.

• shal.ffxishal.ffxi Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Grouping isn't entirely mandatory in that you can still get things done if you don't have a group.  You just won't get the best items in the game without a group, and some story elements might be too difficult to get past without some people to help you out with it.  There will be outlets to do solo when you don't have any friends on, but the most efficient stuff will likely come from being in a group.

No. You need to group if you want to do the main quest. You need to get into dungeons to finish the quest. And...... You need a party of 4 to be able to enter the dungeon.

So, you do need to group. But grouping is FUN. That's why you play mmo for in the first place, yes?

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    As others have said, you can solo a good deal of the game, but there are key plot points that send you off to do dungeons or instanced encounters which will require a group.  (right now that's 4 person parties)  I only had 4 instances during playing through what's available of the story in beta that I had to group with anyone.  I imagine this will become more prevalent as I get further through the story.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    When I have looked into Final Fantasy games in the past I was told the games were VERY group oriented .That grouping was required to advance your character beyond the lowest levels. Is that the case with this game or can you solo and advance your character without mandatory grouping ?

No, you can solo exp your character from 1-50 on all classes.

There are group activities, some are tied to the story, but there is a duty finder that automatically matches you for them if you can't find a party.

At any time however you can log in and solo.  Even after you have done all the quests, on your 2nd/3rd class.  Some people playing FFXIV really like grouping (I am one of them), and for some reason some of them are spreading the rumor that you will run out of solo activities to do and be forced to group for decent exp.

This is not true, it is just them trying to combat the criticism that this is a "WoW-clone" and convince FFXI veterans to play the game for forced grouping.  It really isn't the case, grouping is an option, and group content is a key feature of the game.  But you can always gain your XP solo if you don't want to group.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Murugan

There are group activities, some are tied to the story, but there is a duty finder that automatically matches you for them if you can't find a party.

At any time however you can log in and solo.  Even after you have done all the quests, on your 2nd/3rd class.  Some people playing FFXIV really like grouping (I am one of them), and for some reason some of them are spreading the rumor that you will run out of solo activities to do and be forced to group for decent exp.

This is not true, it is just them trying to combat the criticism that this is a "WoW-clone" and convince FFXI veterans to play the game for forced grouping.  It really isn't the case, grouping is an option, and group content is a key feature of the game.  But you can always gain your XP solo if you don't want to group.

If you dont want to take 3 years to get to 50 on a second class you will need to group, so what you are saying is misleading. If you want to experience the story, you will HAVE to group. You do run out of solo quests at 15. Now maybe they will have more in at launch, but this reminds me of AoC starter zone, when you got out no more quests. And before you flame, repeating the same 5-6 leves for 5 levels is a grind and not  enough to do for soloers, this is what killed 1.0. Unfortunately for all the massive improvements they made, they didnt improve that.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    Originally posted by Murugan

If you dont want to take 3 years to get to 50 on a second class you will need to group, so what you are saying is misleading. If you want to experience the story, you will HAVE to group. You do run out of solo quests at 15. Now maybe they will have more in at launch, but this reminds me of AoC starter zone, when you got out no more quests. And before you flame, repeating the same 5-6 leves for 5 levels is a grind and not  enough to do for soloers, this is what killed 1.0. Unfortunately for all the massive improvements they made, they didnt improve that.

I leveled solo just fine with FATE/Guildleve/Hunting Log/Class Quests.  So did plenty of other people I saw.  3 years?  Come on, it will take you practically the same amount of time as people who group.  It is nothing at all like FFXI was when people referred to it as forced grouping. 

Also it clearly says on the beta forums in multiple places that you should have read before playing Beta (but of course you didn't because as you admitted you aren't playing this as a beta, but as a demo) where many quests are not included or placeholders due to potential spoilers, and that quests are only available up until a certain level during this phase of beta.

Originally posted by shal.ffxi
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Grouping isn't entirely mandatory in that you can still get things done if you don't have a group.  You just won't get the best items in the game without a group, and some story elements might be too difficult to get past without some people to help you out with it.  There will be outlets to do solo when you don't have any friends on, but the most efficient stuff will likely come from being in a group.

No. You need to group if you want to do the main quest. You need to get into dungeons to finish the quest. And...... You need a party of 4 to be able to enter the dungeon.

So, you do need to group. But grouping is FUN. That's why you play mmo for in the first place, yes?

Is that not what I said?

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

[mod edit], grouping is mandatory as you have to do main story quests past lvl 15~  which starts as 3 instances in row, at around 20 lvl you get another instance and another group quest, cant recall if that one was story quest, either case if you wont follow story quests all that awaits you is grind, so yes grouping is mandatory,

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Smikis

[mod edit], grouping is mandatory as you have to do main story quests past lvl 15~  which starts as 3 instances in row, at around 20 lvl you get another instance and another group quest, cant recall if that one was story quest, either case if you wont follow story quests all that awaits you is grind, so yes grouping is mandatory,

[mod edit]

It will be very easy to skip the main story if one is determined to do it.  They could just become crafters or focus on levequests or even the side quests that are scattered about.  In addition to using FATES as a means for leveling.  Even good old fashioned grinding at points.

The point most were trying to make is that this isn't the most efficient way, as even doing FATES in a group yields more experience.

[mod edit]

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

How could you even attempt to make claims like these and expect it to be taken seriously? Or at the least, called out on it?

I've been skipping over entire sets of quests in Gridania/Twelveswood. Between the quests I've been doing, FATEs, Hunting Logs, Leve Quests and just general killing mobs, I've been leveling just fine... up to, and well beyond level 15.

For subsequent Classes, I have more quests to do in the Grid/Twelveswood area. I haven't even touched the quests for Uldah/Thanalan or Limsa/LaNoscea yet. And for each subsequent class, I'll have FATEs, LeveQuests, Hunting Logs (each Class has its own Hunting Log) to do as well.

All of that is solo.

And on top of that, yes... dungeons which I can do with a group.

Oh yeah, there's also Class Guild quests, Grand Company quests, Guildhests... even more content to help you progress.

It's one thing to not like a game. That's your right. If none of those other activities sound fun to you, again... your right and you're free to not play the game. But when you delve into the realm of hyperbolic conjecture and misinformation - as your post does (unless you've time-traveled 3 years into the future somehow?), you're going to be called out by folks who actually know what they're talking about and aren't just making shit up to bash the game.