Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voice acting coming for full NA release?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
I found a couple articles online talking about the Japanese voice actors they have hired for ARR launch but couldn't find much info on English voice acting.  I enjoyed the beta but I have to say it felt a little off when in a lot of the cut scenes it's miming sort of stuff.  What's the word on this?  Anyone know if it's something confirmed or that they are working on for NA release?

Comments

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

is confirmed for 4 languages. JP, EN, DE, FR

anyway, after seeing japanese voice acts.. probably i will use JP voice with subtitle.

English:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWeTxlVXVTE

Japanese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEmm6ZINrR0

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Are the JP sound even an option we can do? Ill probably to that as well. Its hard to notice bad voice acting when its in a completely different language, lol.
  • carthaccarthac Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Sad truth is that English speaking voice actors don't come close to the quality that Japanese voice actors do.  Japanese voice actors have a way to portray so much more emotion that seems genuine.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Margulis
    I found a couple articles online talking about the Japanese voice actors they have hired for ARR launch but couldn't find much info on English voice acting.  I enjoyed the beta but I have to say it felt a little off when in a lot of the cut scenes it's miming sort of stuff.  What's the word on this?  Anyone know if it's something confirmed or that they are working on for NA release?

Supposedly main quests only, the game would be fully VO if it wasnt hampered by lower tech systems (PS3)

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by carthac
    Sad truth is that English speaking voice actors don't come close to the quality that Japanese voice actors do.  Japanese voice actors have a way to portray so much more emotion that seems genuine.

Metal Gear Solid has some amazing english voice acting, David Hayter is solid snake

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

Supposedly main quests only, the game would be fully VO if it wasnt hampered by lower tech systems (PS3)

I doubt the PS3 has anything to do with this.  It's probably moreso how expensive VA talent is.  (despite if they're good or not)  Just look at KOTOR's budget...

• WKMitchellWKMitchell Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Voice overs for intro's and main quest will be in for release in 4 languages which you can switch between separate from the subtitles IE JP Voice, English subtitles.  They are not released yet do to contractual agreements with the voice actors.  Lastly there is some talk of them Voicing the class quests down the road a bit if ARR does well.
    Originally posted by nbtscan

I doubt the PS3 has anything to do with this.  It's probably moreso how expensive VA talent is.  (despite if they're good or not)  Just look at KOTOR's budget...

Actualy it is, the graphics were dumbed down from 1.0 as well for the PS3. Remember the PS3 is running on 10 year old tech.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Final fantasy has always had text unless it's a cgi cut scene,.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Ok the PS2 had fully voiced games like FFX, this has nothing to do with the PS3... I dont even.....

Its a simple matter of budget. Fully voicing an MMO costs tons ... not exactly something SE is prepared to invest in (again) on a rerelease of an MMO.
    Originally posted by Kayo83
    Ok the PS2 had fully voiced games like FFX, this has nothing to do with the PS3... I dont even.....

Its a simple matter of budget. Fully voicing an MMO costs tons ... not exactly something SE is prepared to invest in (again) on a rerelease of an MMO.

Part of the redesign of 2.0 was dumbing it down to play on PS3. Evidence is in numerous official relases and interviews. Hell remember when they had to scrap the 1.0 launch on PS3 the first time due to hardware issues?.

PS3

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't keep everything in gaming locked in my head but i do remember that in FFX the voice acting was really good.it was kept serious and in the mood of the scenes/game.Sometimes people feel the need to act korny or try to be funny but end up ruining it more than help it.In FFX they gave Wicca that bit of soft side humor and it did fit his personality and Yuna was soft spoken and kind again fit the personality,so they do know what they are doing.

Think about this,Square hires professional musicians,Orchestras to do their music,they take game design very serious.It is only budget that holds these guys back,same reason they want a sub fee to maintain a proper budget so they know what  they can and can't do.

I expect a solid effort on the voice acting,i have seen nothing to change my mind from past FF games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I don't keep everything in gaming locked in my head but i do remember that in FFX the voice acting was really good.it was kept serious and in the mood of the scenes/game.Sometimes people feel the need to act korny or try to be funny but end up ruining it more than help it.In FFX they gave Wicca that bit of soft side humor and it did fit his personality and Yuna was soft spoken and kind again fit the personality,so they do know what they are doing.

Think about this,Square hires professional musicians,Orchestras to do their music,they take game design very serious.It is only budget that holds these guys back,same reason they want a sub fee to maintain a proper budget so they know what  they can and can't do.

I expect a solid effort on the voice acting,i have seen nothing to change my mind from past FF games.

I agree FFX voice acting was pretty good - hope this game has it done well also.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

anyway, after seeing japanese voice acts.. probably i will use JP voice with subtitle.

English:

Japanese:

I agree, jp versions make your hair on your back stand. Its not like the english one is bad, its just JP is so much better

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

Actualy it is, the graphics were dumbed down from 1.0 as well for the PS3. Remember the PS3 is running on 10 year old tech.

100% false 1.0 was also designed with ps3 launch in mind, i'm so sick of hearing people randomly throw this about because this game is cross-platform and other shitty developers were unable to achieve such a feat.  I played 1.0 for 2 years on this same rig and not only does 2.0 run ridiculously smoother, but the visuals are better as well.

On PC this has the BEST graphics out of any MMO, and it is capable of running (obv lower quality b/c of lower hardware) on PS3 and PS4.  Can you explain that?

Its called an optimized in-house engine, not "dumbed down" just because you can make that speculative leap does not make it logical/true.

Originally posted by jskeets916

100% false 1.0 was also designed with ps3 launch in mind, i'm so sick of hearing people randomly throw this about because this game is cross-platform and other shitty developers were unable to achieve such a feat.  I played 1.0 for 2 years on this same rig and not only does 2.0 run ridiculously smoother, but the visuals are better as well.

On PC this has the BEST graphics out of any MMO, and it is capable of running (obv lower quality b/c of lower hardware) on PS3 and PS4.  Can you explain that?

Its called an optimized in-house engine, not "dumbed down" just because you can make that speculative leap does not make it logical/true.

They could never get 1.0 to work on PS3, hence why it never released. Yes they dumbed down the graphics, the max now is way under the max of 1.0, optimizing doesnt make your graphics worse. And you havent played many mmos if you think 2.0 has the best graphics around.

PS3

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

This is one case where the PS3 had nothing to do with it.  Some time ago Yoshi-P said that they had to make a decision on whether they wanted full on voice acting or just have it with the main story quests.  They chose the latter with the reason that employing full voice acting would extend the length patches would be released by a three to eight weeks (depending on how many extras they add that aren't a part of the continuing main story).  They are planning on releasing these patches anywhere between two and a half to three months apart from each other as a result of this.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Khebeln
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

English:

Japanese:

I agree, jp versions make your hair on your back stand. Its not like the english one is bad, its just JP is so much better

Hehe.  I actually understand a fair amount of Japanese, so I prefer the one in English.  It might be because I recognize most words, but might miss some and then have to look at the subtitles as opposed to the action and thus lose what immersion I had.

Most complaints I heard in the past were from those who thought the voice at the beginning was a Narrator, when in fact it was Gaius speaking as he does with his voice muffled by his helmet.  It actually sounded alright in 1.0 when you saw him in person talking.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by jskeets916

They could never get 1.0 to work on PS3, hence why it never released. Yes they dumbed down the graphics, the max now is way under the max of 1.0, optimizing doesnt make your graphics worse. And you havent played many mmos if you think 2.0 has the best graphics around.

SE stated from the begin that the PS3 version of FF14 1.0 would not be as good looking as it will be on PC.

So they told us right away that we could play it on a PS3 but we would not have the same quality as the PC version.

However since the game didnt sell they didnt even bother to finish the PS3 version.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Nothing against Japanese voice overs. But it's hard for me to get into a voiceover when I can't understand what they are saying. You can read it, but you can't really hear the words they are emphasizing etc. It's just not the same.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

Old interview.

"MP : Can we choose the voice language in the options?

Yoshida : Yes you can.

We had to make a choice, do you prefer having 10 quests with a four-language voice over or 200 quests in each version update? Most likely, you will want the 200 quests."

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    French voice overs have the best Garuda in my opinion.  It is almost perfect... but French.
  • Anfere31Anfere31 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    OMG OMG here come JP voices with English subs ! There is no way i'm passing on this exellent JP voice acting. It gives me chills pretty crazy. English one is just meeeeh.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I bet people who actually understand japanese like the japanese themselves prolly think the japanese voice acting in most games or anime is bad.  I think Gaius sounds way cooler in english.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

You think square enix has budget problems? On their biggest franchise(final fantasy) They have full vo in all their games. It just isnt necessary in anything but the main story line, voicing every fetch quest is just a waste of resources.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson