Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy Trinity (Tank/healer/dps) question

massakremassakre Member UncommonPosts: 42

First of all, from what I've seen and from what I've been reading; the game looks/sounds like a blast. I have a question though, is it fairly easy to switch between being a tank/dps/healer? From what I understand, as long as you carry the main weapon (and it probably wouldn't hurt to have the proper gear) then you can switch between ALL the character roles? One thing I don't want to really run into is this:

LF1M TANK GTG

or

LF1M HEALER GTG

Personally, I do enjoy playing all roles and not just being limited to one specific role on any character. I think Guild Wars 2 did a decent job of eliminating this issue although it does feel a little awkward playing a dungeon in that game due to the fact that there isn't a trinity. 

Comments

• Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by massakre

First of all, from what I've seen and from what I've been reading; the game looks/sounds like a blast. I have a question though, is it fairly easy to switch between being a tank/dps/healer? From what I understand, as long as you carry the main weapon (and it probably wouldn't hurt to have the proper gear) then you can switch between ALL the character roles? One thing I don't want to really run into is this:

LF1M TANK GTG

or

LF1M HEALER GTG

Personally, I do enjoy playing all roles and not just being limited to one specific role on any character. I think Guild Wars 2 did a decent job of eliminating this issue although it does feel a little awkward playing a dungeon in that game due to the fact that there isn't a trinity. 

Yeah, you can level all classes on one character, and switch between classes simply by changing weapons. You need make sure you level the class you're switching to as well so that you are at the minimum level for instances.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Yes you can switch on the fly while out of combat. Switching weapons will change your class and you can then just select your gear set and it puts it all on automatically. Just need to remeber to save the set before switching or youll be busy searching through all your gear. Not worried about space either as there is a "bag" for each item slot your character can carry (head, chest, gloves, etc).
  • emistzemistz Member Posts: 54
    How does this work out in practice? Do you need to level each class like if you were leveling new characters from scratch or is there some benefit leveling-wise to leveling multiple classes in one character?

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by emistz
    How does this work out in practice? Do you need to level each class like if you were leveling new characters from scratch or is there some benefit leveling-wise to leveling multiple classes in one character?

You have to talk to the other guild masters' first to unlock the classes, once unlocked they get their own class quests and hunting log. You level each one from scratch but once a sidequest is done, it is done for good regardless of what class you are on. Leveling multiple classes gives you additional abilities slots that you share certain abilities between classes. For instance as a Pugilist I can use Conjurer's cure and protect while leveling Pugilist.

Well versatility I guess would be the only benefit. Classes can 'share' abilities so you can say, have a Conjurers basic heal while playing an Mage for example.

Not sure what the details and limitations are but im assuming thats a good reason to level as many classes as possible. There doesnt seem to be many benefits in leveling more jobs though ... other than being able to switch on the fly obviously.
  • massakremassakre Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by striderbob

You have to talk to the other guild masters' first to unlock the classes, once unlocked they get their own class quests and hunting log. You level each one from scratch but once a quest is done, it is done for good regardless of what class you are on. Leveling multiple classes gives you additional abilities slots that you share certain abilities between classes. For instance as a Pugilist I can use Conjurer's cure and protect while leveling Pugilist.

Sounds time consuming but fair. Would you suggest probably doing ALL the quests early on?

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

You will be stuck with the class you selected at character creation until level 10, when you finish your level 10 class quest you will earn permission to to learn from the other guilds. 

You simply have to go to the guild, speak to the receptionist, and then a quest will appear. You just have to talk to the receptionist again to confirm your desire to join the guild and VIOLA! That class is unlocked. 

From then on, equipping the weapon tied to that class will switch your class, your hotbars and deqeuip any gear that is not compatible. 

There are two inventories; regular inventory and the Armoury Chest. All gear will go into the Armoury Chest, and you cna hold 25 of each slot of item.

With Gear Sets, you can save entire sets of gear on the fly and be able to sqitch classes with the touch of a button.  

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174

You have to talk to the other guild masters' first to unlock the classes, once unlocked they get their own class quests and hunting log. You level each one from scratch but once a quest is done, it is done for good regardless of what class you are on. Leveling multiple classes gives you additional abilities slots that you share certain abilities between classes. For instance as a Pugilist I can use Conjurer's cure and protect while leveling Pugilist.

Sounds time consuming but fair. Would you suggest probably doing ALL the quests early on?

I'd probably wait till you get your airship pass from the story quests, I think that was around level 15? Getting to the other cities as a lowbie can be a chore, unless you feel adventureous and think you can dodge high level mobs. You could also rent a chocobo but that can get expensive.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I'd unlock everything you possibly can.  It unlocks more gear sets, so even if you have no intention of ever leveling say a crafter or gatherer, you can use that gear set to setup something for say some gear you only wear in town, or an alternative gear set for another one of your classes.

Also since it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, one restriction on changing classes is you can't do it once you enter a dungeon.  Once you enter, you play as that class and can only roll on gear that that class can equip.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

I can't help but think what this game is gona be like a year from launch. When alot of peaple have multiple jobs leveld. Guss party situation be like this

Tank                Tank leaves (no replacemet found)    replaced by DD

Healer                Healer leaves (no replacement found)   replaced by DD

DD                      Becomes a tank

DD                       Becomes healer

Support

Gona be alot easier to fill roles, with instant job changing, and the armory system.

I can't wait to see how this turns out :) should be a good one.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Dzone

I can't help but think what this game is gona be like a year from launch. When alot of peaple have multiple jobs leveld. Guss party situation be like this

Tank                Tank leaves (no replacemet found)    replaced by DD

Healer                Healer leaves (no replacement found)   replaced by DD

DD                      Becomes a tank

DD                       Becomes healer

Support

Gona be alot easier to fill roles, with instant job changing, and the armory system.

I can't wait to see how this turns out :) should be a good one.

At first you will not be able to switch jobs using the duty finder however later on they will let you.  Thats ok because later on most people will have more than 1 job so people can switch as needed.  

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Yeah, I'm definitely happy about the way roles are going to be interchangeable in this game.  I was stubborn in FFXI and ONLY played my DRK/THF combo, which of course naturally meant that I got frustrated sitting around town for hours on end desperately trying to get a group.

That whole issue could've been resolved by me playing a tank or healer or support guy during those slow times when nobody needed more DPS.

In FFXIV: ARR, I'm starting as a conjurer and guna ride it (plus gladiator) all the way up to WHM, then Glad farther up to PLD, then Archer up to Bard.  At that point I'll have a tank, a healer and a support toon, and can then focus in on a DPS if I wana after that.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Yeah, I'm definitely happy about the way roles are going to be interchangeable in this game.  I was stubborn in FFXI and ONLY played my DRK/THF combo, which of course naturally meant that I got frustrated sitting around town for hours on end desperately trying to get a group.

That whole issue could've been resolved by me playing a tank or healer or support guy during those slow times when nobody needed more DPS.

In FFXIV: ARR, I'm starting as a conjurer and guna ride it (plus gladiator) all the way up to WHM, then Glad farther up to PLD, then Archer up to Bard.  At that point I'll have a tank, a healer and a support toon, and can then focus in on a DPS if I wana after that.

Thats the direction I am going, healer first, tank next support after that then DPS.  

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

In final fantasy 11 it sucked to start over from level 1 because of how long it takes to level up one job so a lot of people just stayed in one roll and leveled up their subjob that best support their main.  After 55 it took like half a day of grinding to get 1 level up and past 60 even longer.  And i dont even wanna get started on how difficult it was getting each jobs artifact armor.  So really it was very understandable to be stubborn in that game but ARR is a whole different story.  And even now i still dont have any interest in being a tank or healer maybe a Bard since its still good dps.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Actually the groupfinder will take care of the LFM spamming...  Just sign up, continue your doings untill you get your invitation to a fully made group.

There needs to be a system to add depth to the gameplay, in this case thats gonna be the wellknown trinity. The power of a group is that its supposed to be stronger then the sum of the inidviduals..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Gona be complicated setting up all those hotbars for all those classes. Gona be hard for some peaple to learn how to play multiple classes. Prolly will for me, since i was only 1 job for years in ffxi. That was the only thing i was experianced at. I was whitemage, but now since i started vanguard, i've just been paliden.

I didn't mind playing just one role, but times have changed, and so must i.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

1. You can level all classes/jobs on ONE character

2. You can switch to any job/class as long as you have the weapon/soul on you.

3. The Gear Set System lets you define armour and skill sets for all your classes. When you switch it automagically equips all gear and skill bars.

4. The armoury system let's you store Armour and Weapons. This gear is available for gear set quick switching and does not take inventory space.

5. You can put all your weapons/souls on a skill bar and switch with one click. You can also put gear sets on the hot bar to switch. It's very smart and takes one click to switch form fully geared Tank to fully geared healer.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

This is awesome! In the beginning I'll definitely be rolling around has a tank first and DPS second. 

So you level them all up individually? So If I level say...a Gladiator to level 25 and I decide I want to play my Lancer, will the 'soul' be level 1? 

I figured I'd solo as a DPS and group as a tank. Perhaps later down the road I will try healing as well

EDIT: I just looked up the classes again. So I figure the best way for me to go about this is to level up a Dragon/Lancer and a Gladiator/Paladin at the same time?

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

This is awesome! In the beginning I'll definitely be rolling around has a tank first and DPS second. 

So you level them all up individually? So If I level say...a Gladiator to level 25 and I decide I want to play my Lancer, will the 'soul' be level 1? 

I figured I'd solo as a DPS and group as a tank. Perhaps later down the road I will try healing as well

All classes are leveled individually, but all jobs like Paladin, Dragoon etc. are equipped to their main class and share it's level (Gladiator, Lancer).

Originally posted by Murugan

All classes are leveled individually, but all jobs like Paladin, Dragoon etc. are equipped to their main class and share it's level (Gladiator, Lancer).

Cool thanks. So to actually become a Paladin (tank), I need to level the Gladiator to 30 as well as getting Level 15 as a Conjurer? I hope things like this don't become TOO time consuming as I also want to be a Lancer/Dragon :D

@massakre: Yes theyre leveled individually. After level 30 youll be a Paladin and Dragoon but its the same idea.

You will have to level other classes as well to get the specific jobs but thats it.
    Oh and youll only be able to level 1 of them until youre allowed to travel to other capitals around level 15.