Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Number of skills and character advancement

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Just a small question, how many skills can characters equip at the same time and use realtime?

What means of character advancement is there except gaining new skills and raising your stats, is there something like AA or a trait system?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

You have access to all of your current classes skills, you then get access to a skill from another class for every 5 levels your main class has.

Level 15 Conjurer would have access to up to 3 skills from another class. (5, 10, 15)

Keep in mind though, that you can't use some skills.  For example:  A Pugilist can use the heals and buffs from Conjurer, but not the nukes.

Edit:  Revised to say current, not main, class

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

from your current class you can slot all your skills. They have standard hot bars like wow/rift and don't limit you in that way. What is limited is how many skills you can pull over from other classes. This is based on the level of your current class. So I can be a lvl 20 conj and have all those skills. When I am a conj, that is, when I have a wand equiped for a weapon, I will also be able to pull in 3 or 4 other skills from other classes that I have leveled. It will depend however. not every skill is available to be pulled in. If I switch over to being a gladiator, at level 1 it will only allow me to pull in 1 cross class skill. But that will go up as I level gladiator. I will also be able to pull in more things from other more martial classes. I noticed that 2 skill could be used from archery but I could only use 1 of those skills while I was a conj.

The closest you get to a trait system is choosing which cross class skills you will use at a time. And as you level other classes you will have more to choose from.

All die, so die well.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

from your current class you can slot all your skills. They have standard hot bars like wow/rift and don't limit you in that way. What is limited is how many skills you can pull over from other classes. This is based on the level of your current class. So I can be a lvl 20 conj and have all those skills. When I am a conj, that is, when I have a wand equiped for a weapon, I will also be able to pull in 3 or 4 other skills from other classes that I have leveled. It will depend however. not every skill is available to be pulled in. If I switch over to being a gladiator, at level 1 it will only allow me to pull in 1 cross class skill. But that will go up as I level gladiator. I will also be able to pull in more things from other more martial classes. I noticed that 2 skill could be used from archery but I could only use 1 of those skills while I was a conj.

The closest you get to a trait system is choosing which cross class skills you will use at a time. And as you level other classes you will have more to choose from.

Sounds like an AA system post release might be a great addition to this game (But then i am an addict to good AA systems)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

So how many different abbilies/skills (non cross class skills) will each profession have at max level?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

When you use a special, they all spool and cool down is on the action bar, synchronized with all skills. It's a fast cool down so the one action or skill you use each time is more defined on what you want to do. They don't have the 'specials' feel we are used to for good or for bad.

You will get quite a few between 1 and 50 but some will be passive, others will be multi class cross overs, some you get from Job unlock. Honest, you will get more than you will use, simply because of the no difference in cool down and the one at a time execution. I'd be surprised if a 50 char actually uses more than 5 or 6.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

So how many different abbilies/skills (non cross class skills) will each profession have at max level?

There is where it is a bit limited. I only saw about 20 skills or so for conj and some of those were upgrades. Cure II and so on. But keep in mind you will have 10 or 11 cross class skills slots when you reach 50 in a class. Also keep in mind the job system. Once you have a class to 30 and a specific secondary class to 15 you can slot a special item that will allow you to be a job class which have their own set of skill.

There are also new classes coming. There is already a place in limsa for a musketeer guild and Arcanist will be in by launch. also they have a ton of potential classes to draw from in FFXI and their other games.

All die, so die well.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Sounds like an AA system post release might be a great addition to this game (But then i am an addict to good AA systems)

Well, FFXI had an AA system called "Merits" so I would think that some sort of AA system is possible in the future.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

Skills are listed here:  http://xivdb.com/

Jobs have every skill of their corresponding class, plus 5 job specific skills, plus 5 cross class skills limited to two specific classes.

Classes have all of their abilities, plus 10 cross class abilities from any class that's not class specific.  (such as Cure, Protect)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Not that many. Like 20 and this includes things like Thunder II, Cure III etc. I'm afraid it might be not enough but maybe they are planning to release new one quite rapidly after release.
    Originally posted by nbtscan

Skills are listed here:  http://xivdb.com/

Jobs have every skill of their corresponding class, plus 5 job specific skills, plus 5 cross class skills limited to two specific classes.

Classes have all of their abilities, plus 10 cross class abilities from any class that's not class specific.  (such as Cure, Protect)

This would give characters about 30 to 35 skills at max level,  if they are all usefull thats more then enough to give some great variety, but if it ends up in rotatiosn of just 4 or 5 skills with the rest hardly being used, it might be to few...

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

If you ended up in a rotation of 5 skills anyway, it wouldn't really matter how many you have in total, would it? 

So far it seems XIV may not be the most varied MMO ever in terms of skills, but it certainly isn't the worst either. Most classes don't seem to fall into simple rotations at max level, but have priority system and conditionals/procs to watch, on top of the multiclassing. That should keep players reasonable engaged, once they've reached the level where all those mechanics come into play. Encounter design will play a crucial role in this as well.

Btw Bachus, you may need to clarify your signature with a version number :)