Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are some people paid to post here ?

Comments

• nightowl79anightowl79a Member Posts: 26

The real question here is: Was the OP paid to post this post? WILL WE EVER KNOW? lawl. 

On a serious side note, I don't think it matters, I love reading forum posts about a game I'm excited about. It doesn't matter if someone was paid to post or not. 

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

To me it seems that certain games engender an inordinate amount of posts.

EQN at this time would fit that description for me.Yet, though we know practically nothing...there is an unceasing barrage of questions about what players like and don't like and would like to see in this unknown game.

CAMELOT UNCHAINED  displayed the same barrage of questions and statements which seemed designed to keep the game on page one of the forums sheet.

ESOL seemed to have the same questions and pov espoused over and over and over again.

Of course it's highly unlikely we would ever know...but I would be curious to see if others have had similar questions about the patterns of some posting.Perhaps some game company's are conducting market research/or push polling on the cheap ?

EQN and Camelot Unchained are successors to two of the best (IMO) games of all time (EQ the best PvE mmo and DAOC the best PvP mmo) of course you are going to have large numbers of people getting excited about their release.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if people were paid to post here, but probably by MMORPG.com to drum up site traffic.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I believe astroturfing is real.  However, it also strikes me as a fad that is bound to wear out in time.  I'm really not too worried about it, seems like it would be pretty obvious to spot (as others have said, a new user with 1 or 2 posts is more likely to be an astroturfer).  If I were a marketing director, I would be more likely to throw marketing cash at a well-established blogger to make an up-front, paid endorsement than to pay for some type of stealth/guerilla marketing campaign by unknown forum users.  (It might be great if that happens on its own, but not as a paid endorsement).  If someone were to offer me cash to write X about game Y without mentioning the sponsor, I would probably give them the finger and move on.

Originally posted by RollieJoe

Gamers who have found the "right" MMO for them tend to spend their free time playing that MMO, or at the very least posting on that MMO's boards rather than a place like this.  So what we end up with is a large base of gamers who want an MMO to play, or rather more than that, they want an MMO *to fall in love with* to really, really get into and enjoy long-term.  And they don't have one that suits their particular tastes.

I think there is a third option that you are missing; that is this site is a genuine community, and represents a variety of opinions and perspectives that sometimes create new lines of thought through discussion and the proverbial "meeting of the minds".  Call me optimistic, but it's certainly the reason I continue to post here.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Yes, 100% gurantee it.

Also, I suspect that there are people who work for online reputation builder/protectors that fill forums up with negative comments, then offer their services to the people its aimed at.  Makes for an easy sell : "just google your product or game, see all these negative comments and reviews...we can protect your online image from unwarranted negative attacks" ect

Believe it or not, this site use to have a majority of the threads and discussion being about the game itself.  Stuff to do in game, what people are doing, questions about mechanics ect.  I think it was around 2006 or so if my memory serves me, when things started to be 100% love the game vs 100% hate the game flame wars. 

Soon after this site kicked into high gear its banning of members (though I think that was to boost registerd memebers since they know people just make a new one and they never delete the old account that's banned).

Once the increased moderation happened they seemed to kick only the people who enjoyed the game but were baited into arguments.  One thing led to another and this site is 99% why a game sucks and the company is worse than hitler, and 1% super defensive fanclub and nothing inbetween...except for that one subforum for that one game that you get insta banned for anything negative...ehm...

Its basically a site for counter marketing/adspace now.  Same goes for steam forums and a few other 3rd party sites.  There are still a few sites that offer reasonable discussions and tolerant moderators...but im sure if those sites ever get enough people the hate will flood in.

I dunno I try to post a moderate viewpoint but im either a fanboi or a troll based on others opinions on how good or bad a game is here.  Sometimes its fun to wade in the sewers I guess.  If I had a game I certainly wouldn't want it listed here

this

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220

The company I work for currently has arounf 16 people who spend their days watching things like Twitter, facebook, Flickr etc...Their job is basically to generate interest in something they are trying to romote by having convesations between their accounts, to make positive comments when others get involved in a conversation about what they are promoting and to make it seem like there is a lot of interest in a subject when in reality there is not.

People are being paid to make things they are promoting hit that golden stage where things start going viral. Why?

Simply put the vast majority of people in this world are mindless sheep who just want to follow the crowd and look cool. And companies are now realising you can get people to do ANYTHING you want them to do simply by making them feel like other people are also doing it.

Think Big Brother here (tv series not tyranical social system). You get enough people to think being big, fat, ugly and stupid is cool and they will throw money just to be linked to it. Not only that but they will try and emmulate it.

I have absolutely no doubt the same thing is done with the gaming industry. A big company with thousands on employees could hire a couple of people, get them to create 20 or 30 mail accounts each, log into to a load of social media sites and start spamming their 'paid' opinions and the general population will eat it up, hype goes through the roof and hey presto, you have just generated enough interest in your product tha it is going to meet required sales estimates no matter how good the product is. 

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" ring any bells?

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

The word is Shill and I am quite certain there are more than a few.

It's not to say everyone is one. Many people post in a twitter like fashion and just drop links and topics in a pattern that doesn't really suit forum style cross over. It's an old style of communication, a cross between blog, chat room, email and a bit of a throw back to the days of Homestead and MSN website days.

The point being, it's difficult to narrow out a Shill and easier to just go case by case. I pay close attention to the community status here. Number of threads, join date and other user stats. A shill will often flip many accounts.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    There most probably are groups of people paid to post but lets be honest, it doesn't take all that much to produce unreasanable amounts of hype.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Yes, 100% gurantee it.

Also, I suspect that there are people who work for online reputation builder/protectors that fill forums up with negative comments, then offer their services to the people its aimed at.  Makes for an easy sell : "just google your product or game, see all these negative comments and reviews...we can protect your online image from unwarranted negative attacks" ect

Believe it or not, this site use to have a majority of the threads and discussion being about the game itself.  Stuff to do in game, what people are doing, questions about mechanics ect.  I think it was around 2006 or so if my memory serves me, when things started to be 100% love the game vs 100% hate the game flame wars. 

Soon after this site kicked into high gear its banning of members (though I think that was to boost registerd memebers since they know people just make a new one and they never delete the old account that's banned).

Once the increased moderation happened they seemed to kick only the people who enjoyed the game but were baited into arguments.  One thing led to another and this site is 99% why a game sucks and the company is worse than hitler, and 1% super defensive fanclub and nothing inbetween...except for that one subforum for that one game that you get insta banned for anything negative...ehm...

Its basically a site for counter marketing/adspace now.  Same goes for steam forums and a few other 3rd party sites.  There are still a few sites that offer reasonable discussions and tolerant moderators...but im sure if those sites ever get enough people the hate will flood in.

I dunno I try to post a moderate viewpoint but im either a fanboi or a troll based on others opinions on how good or bad a game is here.  Sometimes its fun to wade in the sewers I guess.  If I had a game I certainly wouldn't want it listed here

Would also add that along with the 'paid' comments/reviews/votes some games essentially bribe thier playerbase with free junk/beta access rather than outright pay people.  Not sure it's the case with egn though, as some people are quite happy to try and overhype a game without any encouragement(cu anyone?).

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I have literally seen one game run a competition of who could write the best "why their game is so great" on mmorpg.com forums and they'd reward cash shop items to the best "review".

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    A lot of my post are made during work time, does that mean i am payed to work here

This. I find it funny and sad that sooooooo may of you buy into shameful conspiracy theories to easily.  Look, EQNext is the next big thing so of course it is going to attract more attention. Camelot Unchained is the next "great white hope" for the sandbox crowd so that is why your are seeing the interest by that group. Do we have so short a memory that we forget what the forums looked like here when SWTOR was coming out? GW2?  

But lets indulge your flights of fancy: Let's say some nefarious group was paying people to post negative/positive things about a game. How much of an effect would that have since only a small percentage of gamers frequent sites like this? Add to that, since for any game you can find a ton of both positive and negative posts, wouldn't they sort of cancel each other out?

Look, I've been around this site for quite awhile. It has always been like this, will always be like this and it has nothing to do with some shadowy conspiracy but more with the fickleness and short term memory of us gamers. The only chnages I've seen to this site is stricter, more anal moderation but that's another story....

Oh, and the obligatory tin foil hat pic.... 

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

Yes, 100% gurantee it. Also, I suspect that there are people who work for online reputation builder/protectors that fill forums up with negative comments, then offer their services to the people its aimed at.  Makes for an easy sell : "just google your product or game, see all these negative comments and reviews...we can protect your online image from unwarranted negative attacks" ect Believe it or not, this site use to have a majority of the threads and discussion being about the game itself.  Stuff to do in game, what people are doing, questions about mechanics ect.  I think it was around 2006 or so if my memory serves me, when things started to be 100% love the game vs 100% hate the game flame wars. Soon after this site kicked into high gear its banning of members (though I think that was to boost registerd memebers since they know people just make a new one and they never delete the old account that's banned).Once the increased moderation happened they seemed to kick only the people who enjoyed the game but were baited into arguments.  One thing led to another and this site is 99% why a game sucks and the company is worse than hitler, and 1% super defensive fanclub and nothing inbetween...except for that one subforum for that one game that you get insta banned for anything negative...ehm... Its basically a site for counter marketing/adspace now.  Same goes for steam forums and a few other 3rd party sites.  There are still a few sites that offer reasonable discussions and tolerant moderators...but im sure if those sites ever get enough people the hate will flood in.I dunno I try to post a moderate viewpoint but im either a fanboi or a troll based on others opinions on how good or bad a game is here.  Sometimes its fun to wade in the sewers I guess.  If I had a game I certainly wouldn't want it listed here

%% %% %%

This has been my experience as well. And since I said that banhammer incoming but its the truth. The thing is though this flame war od game vs bad game is a good thing for all.

$$$$ $$$$$ $$$$$

The pro f2p crowd is definitely a paid bunch. They want us to buy into f2p like f2p is the new norm. F2p is bad for consumers. The writing is on the wall.

. (Protest against f2p continues as the f2p authorities bust down Battlerocks door, he narrowly escapes completely naked and seemingly mad but perfectly sane in speaking the truth, he yells out one last time before dissapearing into the shadows, "F2p is the destruction of quality games!!!)
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    I belive in (((lot of free time)+( don't want to compromise with truth))*(opinion+hype%)) = bad comment(be fanboy or hater)

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    To any game manufacturers: I am for sale ( edit: to post on public gaming websites)

Hey, I can be bought too for the right price..... keep me in mind devs.

Sure would like to give up this darn day job and just shill for video games all day long.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Judging by how many threads were started about Ubisoft's upcoming Division (or whatever it was) I have no doubt somebody is on someone's payroll. I don't think anyone gets payed for posting tho.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Yes.

Its common practice called "viral marketing"

Its been done for years now.

Company I was working at was one of early adopters. We basically made it big trough fake "hype". And we had one guy on payroll especially for that.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by ElderRat
    I don't think people are paid to post. However, when I see rabidly pro-game posts by someone who has just registered and has only 1 or 2 posts, I do wonder.

Some actually are. Microsoft actually has hired a few firms that do this kind of thing in the wake of the Xbox One fiasco and have been outed for doing so. Its not an uncommon practice by any means though. Sony, EA, even Funcom as well as others have done the same and will continue to do so. 

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    It's common practice and has been going on for quite some time now, I wish I had more options to screen responses on these forums. 
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by kakasaki
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    A lot of my post are made during work time, does that mean i am payed to work here

This. I find it funny and sad that sooooooo may of you buy into shameful conspiracy theories to easily. 

Hate to tell you this sport but the mods on this very site has confirmed it as well. I'll gladly dig up a quote if you like

If the OP suspects a poster being a shill then report it.

As for this thread, it will most likely get locked the same way other threads on the subject has been. It's not a popular discussion apparently

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by StonesDK

It's not a popular discussion apparently

It tends to create discussion-killing paranoia when you're constantly wondering if the person disagreeing with you is doing it because they genuinely disagree or because they have a completely disingenuous motive to create/ruin discussion on certain topics.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    If anyone wants to start paying me to post, I'll gladly send you my PayPal account name.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by maplestone

Originally posted by StonesDK It's not a popular discussion apparently
    It tends to create discussion-killing paranoia when you're constantly wondering if the person disagreeing with you is doing it because they genuinely disagree or because they have a completely disingenuous motive to create/ruin discussion on certain topics.

Is there an application for this job? I think I can do this.

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK! >:O

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    If anyone wants to start paying me to post, I'll gladly send you my PayPal account name.

Make that two of us.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

It's possible that some are.

Some people here Evangelize their choice of game(s) whilst demonizing everything else and so it's easy to imagine them being paid shills.If most of us named names we'd likely all come up with the same ones.

However I believe it just people being Myopic and extremist in their passions whilst behind the anonymity of the internet and nothing sinister.You see this kind of One eyed,intolerant attitude on all subjects on the net especially political ones.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

There are definitely some people that are paid to post here:

Bill Murphy

Suzie Ford

Garrett Fuller

Michael Bitton

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

This discussion has been closed.