Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN Preorder or not ?

Comments

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Telondariel

In SOE's past, you could pre-order up until the day previous to release.  IMO, that is a very generous amount of time to hear from honest previewers (not biased game sites like this one) and beta testers who have been fans of the EQ franchise.  There are still a few months to see how it will all really pan out.

Pre-ordering now?  Based on what?  The only thing we have are these silly crypic games Smed is playing with his potential customers.  That doesn't entice me:  it annoys me.  No way am I going to simply hand over $$ for a product I know nothing about, and have never even seen a snippet of in-game footage.

When beta begins and the reports start rolling in from the credible fansites, then I'll listen and make a decision based on real information, not hype.

Whats the difference between MMORPG/TTH seeing the game and you seeing the game, if you're seeing the same thing? What warrants as a "credible" fansite to you? One that agrees with your opinion?

Also, TTH has historically been pretty harsh towards SOE/Everquest, so the fact they're in nerd boners over EQN should prove as a credible sign. SOE hasnt been one to be big on advertising, so I highly doubt they paid off MMORPG.com or TTH to say good things about the game.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

yea..... i would order it... yeah...

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by hMJem

Dumb question, but isn't Everquest Next free to play?

As in, download it the day it comes out and you're good to go? Unless you mean bonus type subscriptions for $5-10 a month or something. I was under the presumption that there isnt even a box price to pay like Guild Wars 2. Although if that was the case I wouldnt care, just assumed it was F2P download the day it comes out type deal.

SoE F2P games have all had a pre-order package that came with lots of goodies and beta keys etc. DP was the latest and it was 19.99 to 89.99 to pre-order goodies. 

Seeing this is their flagship IP, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the only one of their games to have a sub fee and everything. Some barrier to entry wouldn't be bad. If it is free to play, I know I'll have more of my friends / family interested in it, so I guess it doesn't matter too much for me. If there's a sub option, I'll be using that anyways.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67

No I wouldn't. Not until there is more information.

After the announcements, if I like what I see and there are some benefits I want to preordering, then possibly.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Telondariel

In SOE's past, you could pre-order up until the day previous to release.  IMO, that is a very generous amount of time to hear from honest previewers (not biased game sites like this one) and beta testers who have been fans of the EQ franchise.  There are still a few months to see how it will all really pan out.

Pre-ordering now?  Based on what?  The only thing we have are these silly crypic games Smed is playing with his potential customers.  That doesn't entice me:  it annoys me.  No way am I going to simply hand over $$ for a product I know nothing about, and have never even seen a snippet of in-game footage.

When beta begins and the reports start rolling in from the credible fansites, then I'll listen and make a decision based on real information, not hype.

Whats the difference between MMORPG/TTH seeing the game and you seeing the game, if you're seeing the same thing? What warrants as a "credible" fansite to you? One that agrees with your opinion?

Also, TTH has historically been pretty harsh towards SOE/Everquest, so the fact they're in nerd boners over EQN should prove as a credible sign. SOE hasnt been one to be big on advertising, so I highly doubt they paid off MMORPG.com or TTH to say good things about the game.

If you don't know the difference between someone else giving you an opinion, and you finding out for yourself, then..

Bill is notorious for shining SOE in an unnaturally positive light.  Read his interviews with Dave Georgeson over the last 3 years and you'll see what I mean.  This makes him a biased source of information, and thus he loses credibility for what information/opinions he brings to the table regarding SOE.

So that leaves us with TTH.  One person and their opinion.  Not only that, but they are under a shroud of silence so they can't discuss anything. 

I guess if you want to pre-order based on that wealth of information, hey, fill yer boots.  Its your money.

For myself, I'm going to wait.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Trudge34

As in, download it the day it comes out and you're good to go? Unless you mean bonus type subscriptions for $5-10 a month or something. I was under the presumption that there isnt even a box price to pay like Guild Wars 2. Although if that was the case I wouldnt care, just assumed it was F2P download the day it comes out type deal.

SoE F2P games have all had a pre-order package that came with lots of goodies and beta keys etc. DP was the latest and it was 19.99 to 89.99 to pre-order goodies. 

Seeing this is their flagship IP, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the only one of their games to have a sub fee and everything. Some barrier to entry wouldn't be bad. If it is free to play, I know I'll have more of my friends / family interested in it, so I guess it doesn't matter too much for me. If there's a sub option, I'll be using that anyways.

Thats not SoE style. They have worked hard at a balance of getting people to play for free and give them just enough to get them to the point they can see what end game is like but just out of reach enough that you cant join till you pay 14.99 a month. It will be more of the same with EQN.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Trudge34

Thats not SoE style. They have worked hard at a balance of getting people to play for free and give them just enough to get them to the point they can see what end game is like but just out of reach enough that you cant join till you pay 14.99 a month. It will be more of the same with EQN.

I agree here.  Their other MMO's are tiered, so I imagine EQN will be as well.  I didn't mind paying a sub as the sheer vastness of the game and its depth was well worth $15 a month, not to mention the 500 SC they'd give as a bonus every month.  While many people did choose the F2P option, I tried it for a day or two and I found there were enough limitations here and there to really give me incentive to just go for a Gold membership.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    To me EQN is like the Xbox One and PS4 I don't have enough information to make an intelligent decision and I'm not gonna preorder based on the story being told by the people who want my money.
  • MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    The EQ world is a lot of fun so just toss me a sweet Collectors Edition worth buying and I'm in for a little while at the very least.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by aerinndis

After the announcements, if I like what I see and there are some benefits I want to preordering, then possibly.

Same boat here. We know basically nothing, aside from rumors and conjecture. After the reveal and subsequent media blitz, then I'll have a better idea of how truly interested I am in this game.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Fool me once.. Fool me twice.. I forgive you Smed!  Take my money!!!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Originally posted by aerinndis

Same boat here. We know basically nothing, aside from rumors and conjecture. After the reveal and subsequent media blitz, then I'll have a better idea of how truly interested I am in this game.

Wait and see is better than spend and see for me. Got burned once spending and seeing.  Made a decision to wait and see from then on. Now all you trusting souls who can afford to gamble that EQN will be both what they allude to and what you want - go for it. That means more sources of info, once info is available and the beta begins, for me to base my decision on. I have no problem waiting. Seems to me though that some of you get mad because people want to wait and see. Not sure of the logic of that. do with your money as you see fit and so will us cautious ones. peace.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Amazed at the results so far. Have people learned nothing after the recent debacles like SWTOR and GW2? To each his own but I would suggest that pre-orders come with a form stating "I realize I am pre-ordering with little to no information as to the final product. By signing this form, I forfeit the right to go to any gaming related forum and bitching when the product does not live to my overblown expectations". 

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Grahor

Oh, oh, remember all those times you've preordered? SWTOR? SimCity? I'm sure a hundred of other games?

But this time it will be different! He _loves_ me! He said he'll change! He was just tired and I was getting on his nerves, I was probably a very bad wife, I'll be good, he'll never hit me again!

this site needs a thumbs up button.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Grahor

Oh, oh, remember all those times you've preordered? SWTOR? SimCity? I'm sure a hundred of other games?

But this time it will be different! He _loves_ me! He said he'll change! He was just tired and I was getting on his nerves, I was probably a very bad wife, I'll be good, he'll never hit me again!

So what they are just games, if they are crap just move on.

People act as if buying a crappy game is the end of the world.  I would pre-order right now and if the game turns out to suck then i'll just move on, i won't cry for months like most people seem to do.
  • kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    People act as if buying a crappy game is the end of the world.  I would pre-order right now and if the game turns out to suck then i'll just move on, i won't cry for months like most people seem to do.

Good for you! I agree: if you pre-order and it is crap, your forfeit the right to go on forums and complain. BTW, I have a great idea for a killer MMO. You can pre-order now for $50.... image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Buying a crap game isn't the end of the world.

However by handing over your money at the pre-order stage you are relinquishing your power in the process.  People complain about how many crap games are being produced today, but where is the incentive for companies to really push the boat out when people will throw money at them for a promise.

Equally though it's the person's money and their choice.  I would however advocate making an informed choice before shelling out money, and that, at the moment, isn't possible.

Originally posted by Miblet

Buying a crap game isn't the end of the world.

However by handing over your money at the pre-order stage you are relinquishing your power in the process.  People complain about how many crap games are being produced today, but where is the incentive for companies to really push the boat out when people will throw money at them for a promise.

Equally though it's the person's money and their choice.  I would however advocate making an informed choice before shelling out money, and that, at the moment, isn't possible.

Well i will see what kind of game they have in store for us on august 2. If i like the idea i will support it and if not then i'll go find something else to play.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Heck no.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There are very very few companies that i would pre-order from, and SOE is not one of them, now its more than probable that i will end up buying the game, but i won't risk a penny until i know a hell of a lot more about the game than is currently available, which honestly is far too little to base a purchase decision on. EQ1 was a great game, but to counterbalance this, EQ 2 was horribad, now maybe the next incarnation of the game is epic, i hope it is, but SOE need to show me first. image
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Tentative "maybe".  Vegas will decide it all (pass bought, hotel reserved, vacation scheduled)

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Grailer

IF EQN was available right now with the limited information we have would you pre order the game ?

I could have sworn that Smed already said it would follow the Planetside 2 payment model (F2P with a sub for perks).  I guess you could have a pre-order with perks associated with it like Neverwinter or Marvel Heroes.  I don't really think of  those as pre-orders though since you aren't really ordering the game but a bunch of junk to use when the game goes live.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Yes,I have played most of their games and am currently playing EQ2, Vanguard and pop on PS2 occasionally. The All Access Pass helps me out a lot !
  • JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Not a chance; unless I get in the beta and like it there is no way I would preorder any MMO.