Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you will get this on PS4 instead of PC or both?

123457»

Comments

• trojan99trojan99 Member UncommonPosts: 51

i wont game on a console. i use my ps3 as a media device for my "dumb" tv.

i will eventually buy a pos4..not a typo but ps3 had a hook when it was released. it had a blu ray player when players were a couple hundred bucks, so why not spend another 150 and have more features?

now they are basically free like old cd rom drives and dvd players were back then so what is the hook? controller gaming sucks. there is nothing that can make it not suck except a keyboard and mouse...or VR :)

and an mmo on a controller? i think im getting mad already. imagine sorting though tons of inventory using a direction pad. or what about macros and key bindings? without binding an action to a key, your mmo experience will be epic failure. pvp using a default UI? no thank you. curse client on ps4?

ill still buy the thing but the only time it will get any gaming use is probably for sports games with friends. but never for an mmo. even shooters make me throw that damn controller across the room. so bottom line, ill see you on pc. not a stupid ass tablet, not a "gaming" laptop, but a real pc, where i can game like everyone else with ADD, on multiple monitors so i can watch a movie, check email, lie to myself that ill study or work a bit, and have my game up on the center display.

thats assuming that any of these new games are any good. mmo's have been as disappointing as politics. ill admit to excitement about ESO, and even EQ is making me remember the previous EQ's fondly and forget the reasons i quit.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by jonrd463
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Those PS4 shots do look good, credit where it's due, but they're limited to the 2 or three detailed figures in the scene.

Ummm what?

Take this shot for example:

Nevermind that it was from a pre-rendered video that I could do myself with Maya and the necessary know-how on my own computer.  If it was an in-engine scene, the most you could expect to see is maybe 3 or 4 models with that level of detail on the screen at the same time on a console. Maybe even on a computer with today's tech. But a couple of months down the line, nVidia or AMD will have newer GPUs out that will render (no pun intended) a console's graphics power obsolete. Well within the PS4's lifecycle, and probably pretty early into it, computing power will exponentially increase, while the console will have the very same hardware it shipped with.

There's only so much firmware can do. A V6 isn't going to suddenly become a twin turbo V8 just because someone decides to put in a higher octane fuel. Same thing applies to firmware and hardware. It might run a little more efficiently, but you can't squeeze extra power into the hardware it just by wishing it into existence.

Have you actually SEEN the video that is from? It is not pre-rendered either. It is running live on PS4 hardware. It is in-engine.

They played it (again) at E3 during the Sony conference. They proved it in another demo of the engine by stopping the video, changing properties, lighting, moving the camera, etc. all flawlessly.

They did that on the PS4 live with the Unreal 4 Engine demo too.

Do some research first please.

For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHSGBh1z474

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Those PS4 shots do look good, credit where it's due, but they're limited to the 2 or three detailed figures in the scene.

Ummm what?

Take this shot for example:

Nevermind that it was from a pre-rendered video that I could do myself with Maya and the necessary know-how on my own computer.  If it was an in-engine scene, the most you could expect to see is maybe 3 or 4 models with that level of detail on the screen at the same time on a console. Maybe even on a computer with today's tech. But a couple of months down the line, nVidia or AMD will have newer GPUs out that will render (no pun intended) a console's graphics power obsolete. Well within the PS4's lifecycle, and probably pretty early into it, computing power will exponentially increase, while the console will have the very same hardware it shipped with.

There's only so much firmware can do. A V6 isn't going to suddenly become a twin turbo V8 just because someone decides to put in a higher octane fuel. Same thing applies to firmware and hardware. It might run a little more efficiently, but you can't squeeze extra power into the hardware it just by wishing it into existence.

Have you actually SEEN the video that is from? It is not pre-rendered either. It is running live on PS4 hardware. It is in-engine.

They played it (again) at E3 during the Sony conference. They proved it in another demo of the engine by stopping the video, changing properties, lighting, moving the camera, etc. all flawlessly.

They did that on the PS4 live with the Unreal 4 Engine demo too.

Do some research first please.

PS4 is still tech stuck in time for 5 years +. Its awesome tech now but 2 years from now it will be old news when compared to PCs. Think of how awesome xbox was when it first came out. Now think of scaling WoWs updates to xbox. Seems silly looking back now but all we see now is PS4 8 core CPU and go WOW why would I need to buy a PC again? But 5-7 years later it comes clear, WoW on the xbox in the end would have been left behind. Tech has many ways it can expand and again the PS4 will be stuck in time over the life of EQN. I love my console games but till tech really changes consoles will only be second rate when it comes to MMOs.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I remember when Everquest Online Adventures made it to the Playstation 2, however we saw what SOE did there.

I wouldn't doubt it that SOE will pull the trigger and port it to console, especially the other mmo games that will be arriving for PS4. But would I get it for the console if it does comes out? Only if the PS4 console comes with a keyboard and mouse to host EQN :)

Originally posted by 7imelord

I remember when Everquest Online Adventures made it to the Playstation 2, however we saw what SOE did there.

I wouldn't doubt it that SOE will pull the trigger and port it to console, especially the other mmo games that will be arriving for PS4. But would I get it for the console if it does comes out? Only if the PS4 console comes with a keyboard and mouse to host EQN :)

I love my Razer Naga and Blackwiddow mouse and keyboard. Cant use gaming peripherals like that with a PS4. Unless sony lets them program an interface for their console but what if you like the logitech gaming peripherals. Then they have to write one as well. Question is will they? So many advantages on the PC.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

There should be a limit to how many times you can quote. I literally have to scroll through pages when people are in nerd raging quote wars. Makes it not even read worthy a lot of the time too because it's frustrating

Probably play on PC most, but not against playing sometimes on PS4 because my first ever MMO was EQOA on ps2.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Should have an option of neither as well.

Not sure if I will be or not, if I was it would be PC cos I don't own and never will own a console

• nightowl79anightowl79a Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by khameleon

By the time EQ Next is released, PS4 will be out. This game is going to also be on PS4. (ok not offcially announced, but it will be on there). PLanetside 2 is on PS4, elder scrolls online is on it, FXIV is on it, etc. EQ = sony = on PS4.

Want proof? http://www.projectnorrath.com/everquest-next-on-the-ps4/  Look at that smile, that is pretty much a yes, but they can't announce it yet.

So, will you be able to play this game on your current PC? If so, will you only play on PC?

Will you have to invest in a $1,000+ PC to play it with no problems? Or upgrade your GPU for $400?

Will you spend the $400 and just get the PS4 and then be able to play FFXIV, EQ Next , ELder scrolsl online on there?

Will you play on both so you can enjoy it on your PC but then when you want to relax, also be able to play on couch/bed with PS4?

http://www.tentonhammer.com/planetside2/news/john-smedley-on-playstation-4-planetside-2-and-everquest-next  Also has Smedley talking about the PS4 version. They just don't outright say major stuff about the PS4 version yet. I'm sure they will at the SOE live event and in the near future.

If my PC wasn't a beast already I would rather upgrade my PC to play this game, If I played this game. 

Sure you can by a ps4 for only $400, and have a good game library to play, but I have yet to regret the $1600 I spent on my PC. Not only can I play all the MMO's mentioned but I can also play Skyrim with as many mods as I want, Day -Z, WildStar, Emulators, Every Steam game, Witcher 2, or 3, Darksouls 2, Dota 2, all kinds of Indie games. The only games I miss out on are the exclusives. Not to mention, I won't have to deal with all my old games becoming obsoleate because PS4 is not backwards compatable. That and plenty of the ps4 Xbone titles will also be relesed for PC. And don't forget if you only have a PS4 you have to deal with all the crappy(in my opinion) social fetures they throw at you, including paying for Internet, and PS4 online. With my PC there are just so many more options as to what I play and how I play it. 

Top that off with the fact that PC graphix are definatly going to be better than PS4 graphics, and my PC will last longer.

So yea, I'd have to go with PC here, its worth the bit of extra money to have my own custom gaming experiance. 

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

If they do the controls well on the PS4 controller that may convince me to buy a PS4.  As of now and probably anyway I will be playing this on my PC.

The alternative would be if they released this on the XBox One.  Then I would probably play it on both the PC and Console. 

Originally posted by Kuanshu

Sony better bolster its servers if Playstation 4 is going to have a few MMORPGs...

I plan on getting the PS4 as Elder scrolls and Everquest Next are going to be on it

Would rather compete against other players without having to deal with disadvantages due to constant hardware upgrades for PCs and players having any kind of advantage or edge because their gaming rig is much better. Also consider most players who persist in PC gaming are older and yes our time is dawning as we must acknowledge the age of the console gamer is upon us and we must come to terms with this being a reality.

Also, being considered an old timer in comparison to much of the gaming community I have much wisdom and experience to pass on playing MMORPGs and FPSs from the very beginning online when there was only dialup, til present. Consider the next huge MMORPG success will be successfully run over a console and you can bank on that being Playstation 4. Much of the community on a PS4 will be younger generations which need mentoring, support, and balance as the world around us and within us is getting utterly ridiculous in comparison to what old timers refer to as being the good ol days, heh.

The old days of MMORPGs are over and so is the ridiculous timesink, mindless grind, poor graphics, poor MOB AI, heroes, griefers, gankers, themeparks, banks, Fuhrers, Wannabes, being pretty/sexy, nerd rage, etc...and so on

Its high time we realized the future of MMORPGs is all about immersive graphics, dynamic environments, seasonal change, dynamic AI, community, collective, teamwork, sandboxes, economies, cooperation, diplomacy, bartering, trading, exchanging, sharing, and yes caring ;), being accepted for who you are and what you contribute, and being cool :) and so on

So lets all just relax, breathe easy, and learn how to properly work as a team as we bring balance and harmony back to the world of strife and conflict and disharmony and distraction/preoccupation on the next great console of our era:

Sony Playstation 4 :)

What in the world are you smoking? Every MMO I've ever played has had a mindless grind, and all the new ones will have the same mindless grind. They have to put it in there, because its a MMO and it wouldn't do If you completed all the content too fast, so they drag it out. Therefore all mmo content is basically diluted, watered down so that people can not complete it fast. In fact, your whole sentence about "The old days of MMORPGS" is completely wrong. Those things aren't just going to magically go away just because PS4 has a mmo on it... Your post just defies logic. I lol at the ps4. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I love my Razer Naga and Blackwiddow mouse and keyboard. Cant use gaming peripherals like that with a PS4. Unless sony lets them program an interface for their console but what if you like the logitech gaming peripherals. Then they have to write one as well. Question is will they? So many advantages on the PC.

Amen, after playing the FF14ARR beta on my friends ps3, I found my self literly screaming in frustration. The UI was made probably the best they can for a console, I'm sure. When I went to a group of people saw them all low, and tried to heal them, and guess what? I Couldn't target the right guys and they died. If I had my mouse that wouldn't have even been on my mind.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Vlacke

OP seems to be some sort of a console fanboy, eh?

PC definitely, everything that can be played there i will play it as i don't really care very much for these new generation consoles since i am not all that impressed with their hardware as some others seem to be.

I might pick up one of them eventually but again, PC for me is a superior platform and overall a gaming platform of my primary choice.

This is the biggest issue I'm seeing right now. The whole "hardware" with the new consoles. It's very clear that no one around here will accept the truth. Consoles are a different beast and should not be compared part by part to pc's. It's not the hardware... it's the development and tools and code written specifically for one set of hardware... Not millions of scalable systems.

To drive this point home, I'll say this.. I have seen some pretty impressive games on Xbox and ps3 that didn't look much worse then my PC, which is currently running an Intel i7 and a Radeon 7970. Point is.. it was doing this on 512mb of ram a tri-core processor and a graphics chipset that was years... I mean YEARS behind what I was running. The entire system was 6-7 years behind my hardware, yet the games still looked ridiculously respectable and for a fraction of the money I spent on my pc.

This new hardware in the consoles being what it is, will make for some IMPRESSIVE visuals. Mark my words folks.

Originally posted by nightowl79a

Amen, after playing the FF14ARR beta on my friends ps3, I found my self literly screaming in frustration. The UI was made probably the best they can for a console, I'm sure. When I went to a group of people saw them all low, and tried to heal them, and guess what? I Couldn't target the right guys and they died. If I had my mouse that wouldn't have even been on my mind.

Ya DCU was my last MMO I played that was designed to play on both PC and console. The UI was so dumbed down to work on a console that as a PC user I felt like I was wrestling with the UI to try and do the things I am used to doing when playing with my PC. Wife and I dropped that game in a matter of days.

Originally posted by Praetalus

PC definitely, everything that can be played there i will play it as i don't really care very much for these new generation consoles since i am not all that impressed with their hardware as some others seem to be.

I might pick up one of them eventually but again, PC for me is a superior platform and overall a gaming platform of my primary choice.

This is the biggest issue I'm seeing right now. The whole "hardware" with the new consoles. It's very clear that no one around here will accept the truth. Consoles are a different beast and should not be compared part by part to pc's. It's not the hardware... it's the development and tools and code written specifically for one set of hardware... Not millions of scalable systems.

To drive this point home, I'll say this.. I have seen some pretty impressive games on Xbox and ps3 that didn't look much worse then my PC, which is currently running an Intel i7 and a Radeon 7970. Point is.. it was doing this on 512mb of ram a tri-core processor and a graphics chipset that was years... I mean YEARS behind what I was running. The entire system was 6-7 years behind my hardware, yet the games still looked ridiculously respectable and for a fraction of the money I spent on my pc.

This new hardware in the consoles being what it is, will make for some IMPRESSIVE visuals. Mark my words folks.

I have had a very different experience. Few mods and my PC always looked way better then my console. I find some game developers will get lazy and use the same textures on the PC that they made for the console. Where others do not and really make the PC run the game like it only can on a PC. 

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Op needed another line .... 'Will not purchase a game that's made for pc and console' then I could of voted.

Originally posted by Praetalus

I have had a very different experience. Few mods and my PC always looked way better then my console. I find some game developers will get lazy and use the same textures on the PC that they made for the console. Where others do not and really make the PC run the game like it only can on a PC. 

Waaaat? Of course if the developers just throw a exact port from a console to pc it will look pretty much the same. The point is if they spend the time and money to actually use the full power of your PC for that game it would look  better, Like  Nanfoodle said, fans make mods that try to actually use your PC and improve Graphics. Look at Skyrim,  the ps3 version of skyrim looks no where near as good as my modded Skyrim. Hell even with just beth's HD texture packs and ultra graphic settings it looks way better. Try running that on a ps3(if it were possible) you would lag like crazy. Development tools and coding can eventually only do so much. Ofc consoles are cheaper, but the advantages of PC make it worth the money, to me at least. 

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    I'm still holding on to hope that this might be a PC-only game. If it turns out to be a console game (i.e. multi-platform) then I might not get it at all. 
  • thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I would be SUPER surprised if the game did not come out on consoles, infact... I wouldn't know what to think.
  • Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Most likely just PC.   But that depends when the game is actually released and how my current PC is doing.  The vague "est 2013" release date posted here on MMORPG.com I think is off by a year or maybe even two. If the latter, then probably on PS4.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

if they confirm its coming out on PS4 i can consider it on console only if the PC version is limited to tab target and the console version is action (reticle). I dont know what system they will use (tab target or action based) but if the PC uses a gamepad-friendly system ill get it on PC, if not, PS4 will be. I usually prefer tab target over acion based in mmos, but the fact that a console version (if available) would have gamepad-friendly controls gets my undivided atention.

EDIT: i forgot it will be a free game. Whatever system it comes out ill play it everywhere

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    I have an amazing pc. I am happy with it.  Still debating on getting the next gen console. 
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    PC because master race!

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Flaming_MMO
    Most likely just PC.   But that depends when the game is actually released and how my current PC is doing.  The vague "est 2013" release date posted here on MMORPG.com I think is off by a year or maybe even two. If the latter, then probably on PS4.

It's a good thing you're not their business associate then.

Why would they take the blackbox off the game if the game was a year+ away from finishing? They said they could have showed everything they're showing at SOE Live at E3. June, July, August.  They saved it for closer to release + for their fans (A wise move in my decision, E3 just all becomes a blur with everything that is shown, August 2nd will be Everquest Next's day all for itself) I also believe Everquest Next is (confirmed?) to be playable at SOE Live by those who attend.

The whole point of blackboxing is they think they're changing the MMORPG genre and how it will be viewed/played as a whole, so they want to release this information as a bombshell closer to the games release so every other developer/business are playing catch up. I think Project Titan and Everquest Next had their first remodeling because they saw the flops of games like SWTOR/Tera/etc and their games were probably similar in execution/playstyle to those and they needed to change it. EQN changed their game, now it's Project Titan's turn.

Blackbox and unpolished games are two very different things. I think SOE whole-heartedly wants to release the game this year, and will do so barring any serious bugs occuring in the beta. I think beta will start a week after SOE Live. I assume as a bonus they'll grant every attendee into the beta right when it starts. So they'd have all of August, September, October, November to beta test, they can even beta test part way into December and release around Christmas and have some Christmas bundles and stuff or something for subscribers or just pre-launch goodies to help you out since it's a F2P game.