Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just had this horrible worrying feeling -- EQN the FPS MMO

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

I don't know why.  Maybe because I was reading over some of the "PVP" threads, and I saw multiple times where different people said, "PVP sucks in mmos".  And I got to thinking, when compared to something like CoD or Battlefield, yeah, it does suck. 

So I had this horrible thought that what if they are designing a fast paced Everquest that's very PVP and war focused? 

Some might like it, but I think I'd hate it. :( 

Comments

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
     Originally posted by Vhayne

I don't know why.  Maybe because I was reading over some of the "PVP" threads, and I saw multiple times where different people said, "PVP sucks in mmos".  And I got to thinking, when compared to something like CoD or Battlefield, yeah, it does suck. 

So I had this horrible thought that what if they are designing a fast paced Everquest that's very PVP and war focused? 

Oh good lord no! 

Now I am going to have nightmares :(

Shame on you for even suggesting that! 

:p 

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I just watched the interview MMORPG did with Dave at Pax East. He mentioned in it games lately focus so much on the combat, but combat does not make the MMO great. He goes on to talk a bit about what does and that's community and friendships in game. I'm thinking, like the first EQ, individual combat will be set on the back burner in favor of other systems.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

It's going to reinvent "old school" MMO combat. Every time you press a key, SOE will send you letter via snail mail telling you how much damage you did. It's EXTREMELY tactical.

Or they could go "super modern" and you literally have to bash your head into the keyboard harder than the enemy.

They could take the WoW/SWTOR etc model to the extreme and bundle the game with a Whack a Mole controller.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

While PvP isn't necessarily a curse word...FPS is to most EQ vets.  Lol can you imagine the hate they would have to endure if they release this with FPS or the even more lame 3rd person shooter.  The Red Bull slamming 14 year olds trash talking 40 year old EQ people hahaha.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

It's going to reinvent "old school" MMO combat. Every time you press a key, SOE will send you letter via snail mail telling you how much damage you did. It's EXTREMELY tactical.

Or they could go "super modern" and you literally have to bash your head into the keyboard harder than the enemy.

They could take the WoW/SWTOR etc model to the extreme and bundle the game with a Whack a Mole controller.

lol.

But I won't lie. I'd try it even still!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Mardukk

While PvP isn't necessarily a curse word...FPS is to most EQ vets.  Lol can you imagine the hate they would have to endure if they release this with FPS or the even more lame 3rd person shooter.  The Red Bull slamming 14 year olds trash talking 40 year old EQ people hahaha.

Whats so lame about 3rd person shooter, Mass Effect and Resident Evil series is awsome

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    I would be in heaven if the action was done that well!
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    No. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

The clutch Murphy reply. I bet he laughs at what a lot of people talk about. Or I wonder if anyone has actually nailed the right combination the game is going to be/play like.

Also, dont get me wrong, I hate COD.. But uhh.. I dont think ANYONE plays Call of Duty for campaign.. And I'd assume they still have insanely large casual player numbers online at all times so, I'd assume they're doing well for themselves

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    No. :)

Tsk tsk you big tease. Although I assume Smed will hunt you down and kill you if you elaborate.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

This system in EQN, no thanks even though i did like this game a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tbUy1Z5lI

The game also had some fantastic music for the record.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Wasn't EQ  first person ?

I don't ever recall playing it in 3rd person

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Im still having PTSD from 2000 on a telephone dial-up connection when I first walked the wooden ramps in Kethlin and fell to my Death.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Nah that wont happen...They jsut made a game like that (planetside 2) so I doubt it is anything like that......I think what most of us fear is taht it wont be anything like classic EQ and it will be just another themepark that should have been alot better..... I know Smed has been throwing around the sandbox word with this game, but the last time they had a true sandbox (SWG) they destroyed it and never went back.
  • ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

as a 40+ year old...

I'd like to see a FPV MMO RPG.  I think the outrage we seen with TESO fans demanding it be put in, that there is a viable market for it.

Thing is...people think FPS when in actuallity it would be FPV(*view)...one denotes twitch....the other denotes camera perspective.  Like Skyrim, it isnt twitch based, if I can play it, that is proof it doesnt have to be reflexive combat just becuase it is first person view.

But...this isnt the game that is going to happen in.....good old tab target, which will be a let down if so.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I don't think that would ever be the case.  EQ has always been very PVE-centric with a lot of focus on adventuring, crafting and (in EQ2) housing.  PvP was relegated to one or two servers, so people who wanted to do that could merrily stab each other in the face without bothering the blue (PVE) servers.

I wouldn't put too much into the speculation threads here.  We'll have solid information in 6 weeks.