Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Division: The Division at E3 2013

13»

Comments

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by ironhelix

Originally posted by Zixizor And let the Console vs PC war begin... fps games in consoles are bad = fact   Anyways can't wait for this game it looks soooooo awesome!
    There is no war because the battle has been decided already, and consoles lost. PCs beat consoles in every possible way that you can compare them. Consoles are simply a way for a giant corporation to market last year's technology to children who's parents are stupid enough to buy it for them.
    You are wrong. There is actually 1 way that consoles beat PCs.

Sales.

Games that are released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC the PC version ALWAYS sells less than the console versions.

Also, because the console versions sell for more and have less piracy they have higher profit margins.

I can not wait to play The Division on PS4.

He's not talking about sales.  FPS play better with m&k.  Period.  It's not even close between a m&k and a game pad.  Ever wonder why console and PC gamers playing the same game can't play withagainst each other?  Well now you know.  Two players of equal skill, one on a console with a game pad the other on a pc with a m&k, are playing against each other in the same game, who wins?  Even if you left in the console player's advantage of aim assist and larger hit boxes which are present in most console fps, the pc player should do better most of the time.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298
    They need to introduce mouse and keyboard to attract the PC crowd. I just cant use controllers due to my hands. Its more easier with m and kb.

Not all games have to have it but games like these should.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It is a console game hence it immediately gets a -5.  Covering junk like this does not say much for the site.

Even if it eventually migrates to the PC, it will still have broken UI because it was designed for a controller.  

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

The last time I was this excited about a game it was when I watched "The Last of Us" trailer.

I really hope that the petition to bring this brilliant gem to PC succeeds.

• RoninOkamiRoninOkami Member UncommonPosts: 14

Seeing alot of comments regarding console cost versus pc cost. Gonna throw my two cents at this. This issue is completely opinionated and really doesn't have to be a this is better than that type of situation so lets take the pc  aspect first.

PC users - Typically they like to buy are stuff on PC because they put in the "time" to build a proper high end running pc. When some says they spend 600 plus to get a high end rig running they did spend it on one piece of equipment or even 600+ all at once. It's MORE than likely it was a upgrade to an existing spec for their machine they built from scratch. It's also even more than likely they were comparing console specs so they could match game requirements while they were upgrading. That's all this is.

In addition PC users take advantage of digital downloads and reduced game prices. This is useful because of things like steam and other forms of digital distribution that are "already established" allows us to take advantage of discount's (gaben's wallet squeeze) and sales.  That's not to say there's not disadvantages to this but generally a PC user will typically only snatch up a console for exclusives and there would need to be a significant amount to consider doing so. 

Console Users - Generally Interested in only playing games and media. The overall use for their console is to straight up play games and socialize with their friends list. Totally Nothing wrong with that. Whether its XBL or PSN(sorry nintendo i know nothing of your mii community my apologies) it's pretty straight forward. Typically console gamers are getting the most optimize machine affordable to the market that can generate high end graphics.

PC users will argue that their tech is dated and to a degree this is correct, with one slight difference the framework for the machine is dedicated to that product specifically so its output is significantly optimized to perform well out of its general specifications.  This is done to cut production cost and put out a cheaper product for the consumer and not lose alot of money in the process. 

In addition to this console users are brand oriented usually. Tied to a brand, they focus in on the best development features that a new console can offer as long as it isn't negative. Some may even buy multiple consoles to eliminate possible loss of content with exclusives and DLC content. But all of this is tied into the main point which seems to be pricing. High end graphics and entertainment for a reasonable price.

PC vs Console - Pro's and Cons

PC - Upon a multi-platform release PC has a (tendancy) to have a better visual fidelity and framerate.

Console - For multi-platform releases and (sometimes) exclusives, the visual fidelity is compromised small but its evident in some titles.

Console - Compatibility is never a problem. Ever. 

PC - Compatibility can be a issue with some mostly due to the multitude of PC specs and the ranges the developer would have to work in to make their product available. Which is why in some cases the software never comes to PC. (or it takes awhile)

PC- Online other than publisher or developer restrictions Free. No Memberships, No Subscriptions.

Console - Subscription based Online for multiplayer game content. This hurts in 3 ways you're paying for the game, then paying for the subscription and then paying for your internet. Mind you the quality for the online is good and the structure is cool (use to have xbl and psn) but you're paying alot for that experience that is all running "computer based hardware"

PC and Console - Both have Digital Distribution, Both have Online Components and Both have issue with patching and occasional DLC distribution. 

The Verdict - who is better?

Neither. It's a choice. Depending on how you look at it and what your needs are this is a buyers decision. 

If i plan on doing more than playing games and watching media while talking with my friends online then i "need" a pc to do those things. No question.  If i am a confidnet pc user i have already made it to where my machine is ready for the "next gen" of games and for whatever exclusives i don't get i'll buy a console for them. That's It.

If  I'm only interested in gaming and my friends list and my library of games i have downloaded to my console, then I'm gonna just need my consoles.  I may need to buy several to cover my exclusives but i don't feel the need to tweek a pc or modify it when i won't be doing those other things like surfing for anime to watch or building pdf documents or checking my email. in some cases i can probably do some of that from my console to a degree so i'm partially covered.

Thanks for your times for those who read this is just how i feel since im have been in both sides of the grass. Now for those that couldn't read the mountain of text.

TL; DR,      PC and Console Compared,  Verdict, It's more about choice than what is better.

It's more about, what is better for you specifically.

Later folks.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

If this game comes out for PC at the same time as console I'll buy it.

If the Devs want to port it over several years down the road, then forget it.

Game looks like fun. Now make it for my PC.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by ironhelix Originally posted by Zixizor And let the Console vs PC war begin... fps games in consoles are bad = fact   Anyways can't wait for this game it looks soooooo awesome!
    There is no war because the battle has been decided already, and consoles lost. PCs beat consoles in every possible way that you can compare them. Consoles are simply a way for a giant corporation to market last year's technology to children who's parents are stupid enough to buy it for them.
    You are wrong. There is actually 1 way that consoles beat PCs.   Sales. Games that are released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC the PC version ALWAYS sells less than the console versions. Also, because the console versions sell for more and have less piracy they have higher profit margins. I can not wait to play The Division on PS4.
    He's not talking about sales.  FPS play better with m&k.  Period.  It's not even close between a m&k and a game pad.  Ever wonder why console and PC gamers playing the same game can't play withagainst each other?  Well now you know.  Two players of equal skill, one on a console with a game pad the other on a pc with a m&k, are playing against each other in the same game, who wins?  Even if you left in the console player's advantage of aim assist and larger hit boxes which are present in most console fps, the pc player should do better most of the time.

Yes, he is.

He said that "PCs beat consoles in every possible way that can be compared".

Well, you can compare PC sales to console sales and in that comparison PC loses every time. Period. Its not even close.

You ever wonder why more and more MMOs are being announced for the next gen consoles?

Well, now you know.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Not sure if it qualifies as an MMO rather than a coop rpg yet, but it looks good at least.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by ironhelix

Originally posted by Zixizor And let the Console vs PC war begin... fps games in consoles are bad = fact   Anyways can't wait for this game it looks soooooo awesome!
    You are wrong. There is actually 1 way that consoles beat PCs.   Sales. Games that are released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC the PC version ALWAYS sells less than the console versions. Also, because the console versions sell for more and have less piracy they have higher profit margins. I can not wait to play The Division on PS4.
    Yes, he is.

He said that "PCs beat consoles in every possible way that can be compared".

Well, you can compare PC sales to console sales and in that comparison PC loses every time. Period. Its not even close.

You ever wonder why more and more MMOs are being announced for the next gen consoles?

Well, now you know.

You're grasping at straws if you think he was talking about sales.  Besides, what sells the most doesn't always mean its good.  Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus sell lots of albums.  Are they good?  My point still stands that for a FPS, the PC with m&k is superior to a console with a game pad in almost every way that matters when it comes to game play.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by Ginaz Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by ironhelix Originally posted by Zixizor And let the Console vs PC war begin... fps games in consoles are bad = fact   Anyways can't wait for this game it looks soooooo awesome!
    Yes, he is.   He said that "PCs beat consoles in every possible way that can be compared". Well, you can compare PC sales to console sales and in that comparison PC loses every time. Period. Its not even close. You ever wonder why more and more MMOs are being announced for the next gen consoles? Well, now you know.
    You're grasping at straws if you think he was talking about sales.  Besides, what sells the most doesn't always mean its good.  Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus sell lots of albums.  Are they good?  My point still stands that for a FPS, the PC with m&k is superior to a console with a game pad in almost every way that matters when it comes to game play.

So "every possible way that can be compared" is completely restricted to controls?

Or maybe he meant that PCs look better and smell better too. Taste better? Yeah, thats it. You ever try eating an Xbox? They taste horrible.

I mean, thats only logical because comparing sales when someone says "every possible that can be compared" is stupid right?

Then you trot out the old gem of "sales dont equal quality" and use Justin Beiber as an example. Well, atleast you didnt use McDonald's I guess.

And I'm the one grasping at straws?

LOL ....uh ...yeah ...right.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Bottom line, when a game is written for a console the UI is always dumbed down because they have to design it for the controller.  While not a big problem in a FPS, it is when you get to a game that is a MMO.  

Of course there is a significant group that likes simplistic controls so they won't mind.  The problem with that is people just don't play a simplistic game very long.  Hence console MMO's for the most part will never be AAA games, more like a B or a C class.  You can't afford to invest a lot of development time into a game people won't play long.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Bottom line, when a game is written for a console the UI is always dumbed down because they have to design it for the controller.  While not a big problem in a FPS, it is when you get to a game that is a MMO.  

Of course there is a significant group that likes simplistic controls so they won't mind.  The problem with that is people just don't play a simplistic game very long.  Hence console MMO's for the most part will never be AAA games, more like a B or a C class.  You can't afford to invest a lot of development time into a game people won't play long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hqbg9_ZJLw

you can have up to 32 skills slotted on the cross-hotbar system with gamepad

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Personally, I just want it on the PC for the controls.  If the PS4 edition allowed M+KB hookup, I'd be okay with that.

I'd say there is a solid chance at seeing that considering one can play Dust 514 MMOFPS on PS3 with M+KB.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

This is one of the coolest games showcased at E3.  The integration with mobile, how they did it, is truly innovative.

I'm not really part of the PC master race, but I can't see shelling out 500 bones for a gimped piece of hardware and mediocre software service that require a subscription to play online games.  The first release of the console generation is never their best and worth waiting for the improvements.

Being Devil's advocate, I wouldn't want to shell out $2500 in order to play the game on a PC when I could pay $500 and get a console that is optimized for it already (and where the manufacturer is taking a hit and selling it to me at less than cost). Maybe that's outlandish, but if we're talking about a system that can run even a cryengine 3 game on high settings, you're looking at at least $1000 just for graphics card and processor. 

As far as hardware woes, ummmmmm yeah, those suck, but I'm sure that it will be better this time around because they always learn from their mistakes, HA! Make sure to make use of your warranty! 

You can get ALOT of mileage out of an $80 PSU and a $250 GPU, just sayin....

Unless you haven't gotten a new computer in like the last 10 years, in which case image

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The way you made this sound was as if you'd be playing with a handful of other people at a time. If that is the case how is this an MMO?

People need to stop using MMO for anything where 1000 or more people aren't existing in the world at the same time where everyone could possibly run into each other at once. LoL and any other MOBA is not an MMO. Any lobby based game where you group up as 5-10 to go do an instanced mission is not an MMO.

So unless the article was misleading and in fact 1000 players will be running around the same NYC at the same time coming across each other, then this isn't an MMO.

• GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

Consoles were made to be a less expensive way to play games than PC's.  The Xbox is $500 which is about $400-$500 less than a decent gaming PC. 

Console makers (Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony), would like gaming to be primarily on consoles and PC's are for work.  Microsoft in particular wants this because they feel touch is the next thing.  Have consoles be for games, tablets and phones be for simplistic games and addon's to console games and PC's for work, internet browsing and and maybe some games that are difficult to do on consoles (like certain MMO's).

They (Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony)  wouldn't mind if most games were made on consoles only. 

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553
    Originally posted by RoninOkami

Seeing alot of comments regarding console cost versus pc cost. Gonna throw my two cents at this. This issue is completely opinionated and really doesn't have to be a this is better than that type of situation so lets take the pc  aspect first.

PC users - Typically they like to buy are stuff on PC because they put in the "time" to build a proper high end running pc. When some says they spend 600 plus to get a high end rig running they did spend it on one piece of equipment or even 600+ all at once. It's MORE than likely it was a upgrade to an existing spec for their machine they built from scratch. It's also even more than likely they were comparing console specs so they could match game requirements while they were upgrading. That's all this is.

In addition PC users take advantage of digital downloads and reduced game prices. This is useful because of things like steam and other forms of digital distribution that are "already established" allows us to take advantage of discount's (gaben's wallet squeeze) and sales.  That's not to say there's not disadvantages to this but generally a PC user will typically only snatch up a console for exclusives and there would need to be a significant amount to consider doing so. 

Console Users - Generally Interested in only playing games and media. The overall use for their console is to straight up play games and socialize with their friends list. Totally Nothing wrong with that. Whether its XBL or PSN(sorry nintendo i know nothing of your mii community my apologies) it's pretty straight forward. Typically console gamers are getting the most optimize machine affordable to the market that can generate high end graphics.

PC users will argue that their tech is dated and to a degree this is correct, with one slight difference the framework for the machine is dedicated to that product specifically so its output is significantly optimized to perform well out of its general specifications.  This is done to cut production cost and put out a cheaper product for the consumer and not lose alot of money in the process. 

In addition to this console users are brand oriented usually. Tied to a brand, they focus in on the best development features that a new console can offer as long as it isn't negative. Some may even buy multiple consoles to eliminate possible loss of content with exclusives and DLC content. But all of this is tied into the main point which seems to be pricing. High end graphics and entertainment for a reasonable price.

PC vs Console - Pro's and Cons

PC - Upon a multi-platform release PC has a (tendancy) to have a better visual fidelity and framerate.

Console - For multi-platform releases and (sometimes) exclusives, the visual fidelity is compromised small but its evident in some titles.

Console - Compatibility is never a problem. Ever. 

PC - Compatibility can be a issue with some mostly due to the multitude of PC specs and the ranges the developer would have to work in to make their product available. Which is why in some cases the software never comes to PC. (or it takes awhile)

PC- Online other than publisher or developer restrictions Free. No Memberships, No Subscriptions.

Console - Subscription based Online for multiplayer game content. This hurts in 3 ways you're paying for the game, then paying for the subscription and then paying for your internet. Mind you the quality for the online is good and the structure is cool (use to have xbl and psn) but you're paying alot for that experience that is all running "computer based hardware"

PC and Console - Both have Digital Distribution, Both have Online Components and Both have issue with patching and occasional DLC distribution. 

The Verdict - who is better?

Neither. It's a choice. Depending on how you look at it and what your needs are this is a buyers decision. 

If i plan on doing more than playing games and watching media while talking with my friends online then i "need" a pc to do those things. No question.  If i am a confidnet pc user i have already made it to where my machine is ready for the "next gen" of games and for whatever exclusives i don't get i'll buy a console for them. That's It.

If  I'm only interested in gaming and my friends list and my library of games i have downloaded to my console, then I'm gonna just need my consoles.  I may need to buy several to cover my exclusives but i don't feel the need to tweek a pc or modify it when i won't be doing those other things like surfing for anime to watch or building pdf documents or checking my email. in some cases i can probably do some of that from my console to a degree so i'm partially covered.

Thanks for your times for those who read this is just how i feel since im have been in both sides of the grass. Now for those that couldn't read the mountain of text.

TL; DR,      PC and Console Compared,  Verdict, It's more about choice than what is better.

It's more about, what is better for you specifically. 

Later folks.

Finally, a post with someone saying something completely intelligent and not way off in left-field.  Geesh

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.