Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need impressions from previous FFXI players...

Comments

• BananaramaaBananaramaa Member Posts: 34

From what little I know from playing 1.2 and a little of beta early levels I suspect this game will have some of the FFXI we knew back in the day.

Can you expect an experience that comes close to FFXI, (assuming you were one of those that both loved, appreciated, and played the shit out of this unbelievable game)? Hell no IMHO.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by KingAlkaiser

the combat is extremely flashy/ fast paced and more spammy meaning you have a combat where your character spends most times spamming skills non stop instead of relying on auto attacks as much.  This is the worst part of the game in my opinion as i prefer a slower more tactical and strategized combat instead of the new "standard" of herp derp spam all your keys at the enemy without needing to think and AoE spam anything in sight.  Remember the fun with skillchain/ magic burst/etc now completely replaced with flashy limit breaks.

It's funny. It tells more about XI than ARR that even with the fast pace ARR manages to be infinitely more tactical and strategic than XI ever wished to be.

XI has the right kind of playerbase though, always thinking that because it's slow, it's tactical and strategic. And because other games have fast combat, it is not tactical or strategic. These people would get absolutely wrecked in any of these games, because they demand both speed and fast thinking, It's okay though, because they won't ever play these games. They'll simply keep saying they're too simple for them.

The world is coming to an end.  I completely agree with Hyan.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

If you liked FFXI - this is not the game for you.

You will literally be torn to shreds for liking XI. Most of the XIV ARR community hates FFXI. It plays nothing alike, the world feels static and dead.

I'm so disappointed. FFXIV 1.23 was a better game than what we have now. Graphics were better, too.

Wait til they allow dx 11 for graphics.  And I loved final fantasy 11 was my first mmo too but i loved it back in the day and my taste in mmos gameplay has changed since then.  I could not go back to ff11 style gameplay especially waiting for hours and hours for a solid group to just grind experience points, thats not what i would call fun anymore.

• BananaramaaBananaramaa Member Posts: 34
    Like, because chess is for stupid people and all the smart people play bullet chess... right?
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Bananaramaa
    Like, because chess is for stupid people and all the smart people play bullet chess... right?

Yoshida actually compared FFXIV ARR combat to poker

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/10993-Development-Team-Post-Compilation-Thread?p=224581&viewfull=1#post224581

?FFXIV is Like Poker??
    This may be a stretch, but I'd like to take a moment to break down the combat system by comparing it to Texas hold ‘em poker

- There is little time where you will be sitting there doing nothing. (However, there's always enough time to strategize)
    - You won’t start with a full hand, overwhelmed by too many options
    - As more cards are revealed (as you level up and acquire more actions/traits), the number of options (skill combinations) available to you increases
    - Each weapon skill serves as a "card," with combos and triggered effects serving as "hands."
    - You change your "hand" according to how a fight plays out (but you’ll always have time to think on your strageies).
    - Limit breaks, which are planned for implementation in phase 3, will serve as "hands" shared by the party.
    - Auto-attack serves as one of your "cards" when all other options have been exhausted, as it's still a means of sustaining that base damage.

This is the premise of the battle system. I know poker wasn't the best analogy to describe how the battle system will work, but I hope you guys get the general idea.

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

Tactics and strategy don't necessarily mean the game has to be slow, it was just that way in FFXI. To those that think what most of us want is slower gameplay you are greatly mistaken. 

I don't mind faster gameplay, if it is a challenge then bring it on, I love my games hard as nails.  What I do mind is shallow gameplay, especially from a company that has a history of creating epic battles where the options were as deep as the ocean.

Maybe if they spent less time on character creator and voice overs we could have more depth, but that's what everyone wants I guess.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Proximo521

Sup everyone!

Well, I will try to keep this short and sweet. Just like the title suggests, I am looking for people who had played FFXI for a while and would like to know their impressions of ARR. I have never played WoW so comparing this to WoW for me doesn't really help. I have played SWTOR but that was a long time ago and I haven't touch another MMO since. Plus I didn't like the game. I did have some high hopes for some titles but the one that I did play consistently was FFXI. Played for 4 years and it was an amazing experience! That being said, I am really curious to the impressions of this. I would like to pick up a MMO hobby and I want to feel the immersion that I did with FFXI. I should specify that I am not looking for FFXI and know FFXIV ARR will be different. Just curious if FFXIV ARR can do the same? I have read all of the impressions on MMORPG, Massively and the like but every article started to compare it to WoW. Which is fair. I know a lot of people played WoW but I have not. If you guys could provide me comparisons based on the below bullets would be greatly appreciated! HAPPY FRIDAY!

Rotoki

- Combat

- Scale of the World (Does it feel like you have a long way to go?)

- Crafting

- Overall feel

Combat is basically the same as ffxi.

Scale of world, zones arent all that big, though they are numerous.

Crafting is way easier than ffxi, almost boring in simplicity.

I like the feel, but it is a clone of that game you have not played

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I can't make any comparisons at the moment because I have yet to get my hands on FFXIV and even if I did I wouldn't be at endgame lvl at this point so I don't know how people can make comparisons unless they played version 1 and endgame is unchanged in ARR.

I will say this, all those saying that ffxi was more strategy based because it is slower have not played ffxi for a few years. Gone are the days where you need different strategies for different fights. Now it is just perfect defense, embrava, zerg to death. Nothing hard about that. Seekers of adoulin just has superficial changes to make things more of a nuisance then difficult. I think a lot of people, including myself at times, look back at ffxi with rose colored glasses.

Originally posted by k11keeper

I can't make any comparisons at the moment because I have yet to get my hands on FFXIV and even if I did I wouldn't be at endgame lvl at this point so I don't know how people can make comparisons unless they played version 1 and endgame is unchanged in ARR.

I will say this, all those saying that ffxi was more strategy based because it is slower have not played ffxi for a few years. Gone are the days where you need different strategies for different fights. Now it is just perfect defense, embrava, zerg to death. Nothing hard about that. Seekers of adoulin just has superficial changes to make things more of a nuisance then difficult. I think a lot of people, including myself at times, look back at ffxi with rose colored glasses.

I liked ffxi, an all time fav, but the grinding, the wiping 15-20 times before completing despite running it perfect, I can happily live without that.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59
    How can so many people overlook how much more user friendly and modern FFXIV is compared to FFXI? Some things just won't work in today's MMO. if you want FFXIV to be successful  then it needs modern conveniences. The core ingredients for FF are there. Any true FF fan can't help but notice those ingredients.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Ehllfhire

Sup everyone!

Well, I will try to keep this short and sweet. Just like the title suggests, I am looking for people who had played FFXI for a while and would like to know their impressions of ARR. I have never played WoW so comparing this to WoW for me doesn't really help. I have played SWTOR but that was a long time ago and I haven't touch another MMO since. Plus I didn't like the game. I did have some high hopes for some titles but the one that I did play consistently was FFXI. Played for 4 years and it was an amazing experience! That being said, I am really curious to the impressions of this. I would like to pick up a MMO hobby and I want to feel the immersion that I did with FFXI. I should specify that I am not looking for FFXI and know FFXIV ARR will be different. Just curious if FFXIV ARR can do the same? I have read all of the impressions on MMORPG, Massively and the like but every article started to compare it to WoW. Which is fair. I know a lot of people played WoW but I have not. If you guys could provide me comparisons based on the below bullets would be greatly appreciated! HAPPY FRIDAY!

Rotoki

- Combat

- Crafting

- Overall feel

What? Have you played FFXI & FFXIV? The two combat systems could hardly be MORE DIFFERENT.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

If you liked FFXI - this is not the game for you.

You will literally be torn to shreds for liking XI. Most of the XIV ARR community hates FFXI. It plays nothing alike, the world feels static and dead.

I'm so disappointed. FFXIV 1.23 was a better game than what we have now. Graphics were better, too.

I loved FFXI. Played it for over 7 years, had a great time overall (with some aggravating times mixed in of course), and don't regret it at all.

That said, while I'm not crazy about all the decisions made for ARR, I'm really enjoying it, too. Largely because I'm playing each MMO as its own entity. I don't play ARR comparing it to XI (even though there are many FFXI elements in there already). I play ARR as ARR. Just as I did with FFXIV 1.0 up through 1.23, and until the end.

My entire linkshell/FC in ARR came over from FFXI - and I met them with FFXIV, so it's not like we're a group who mete in a previous game and all moved over together. They all played for years and love(d) it as well.

So, you really can't make generalizations like that.

Also, I don't believe most of the XIV community hates XI. Having played and (at least in many cases) enjoyed FFXI is what made many want to come over to XIV in the first place. Some come over with fond memories of XI, others with bitter memories. Either way, FFXI brought them here.

Don't let the vocal minority who bash anything that's FFXI fool you; they're not as numerous as they seem. They're just very, very loud and extremely obnoxious. And if you want a good example of extreme irony, consider this. Anytime something is brought up in the form of a suggestion that entails "FFXI", those people lose their minds and, as you put it, rip that person to shreds.

But here's the thing; there already are a number of features and content in XIV that come directly from FFXI. Knowing this, it's hysterical to me to see how any small suggestion made that is inspired by something in FFXI is met with cries of "stop trying to turn this into FFXI-2!".

I'll make the point of this by asking a question. Two, actually.

Question One: How many individual elements - be it content, creatures ,systems, etc - can you identify in ARR that are either taken directly from FFXI, or clearly inspired by or derived from it? I can think of quite a number, right off the top of my head.

These are things that have been continuously revealed to us throughout the game's progress, through videos, live letters, beta tests, and such.

This leads me to...

Question Two: Does ARR feel like "FFXI-2" to anyone here when they're playing it? Does it feel like a clone of that game, or a "HD remake" or whatever else people have predicted it would become if Yoshi-P implemented ideas from FFXI?

Speaking for myself, I give an emphatic no. It definitely doesn't. Further, though this is anecdotal, I haven't seen anyone remarking that it does, either.... including  members of the FFXI Hate Brigade whom you know would be all over that if it did..

Know why they're not saying that? Because the ideas and concepts themselves aren't what made them "FFXI". It's their specific implementation within that game world, in that setting, with those characters, creatures, gameplay, lore, etc. Likewise, they fit into ARR because they've been implemented in a way that fits with ARR's setting, characters, creatures, gameplay, lore, etc.

The whole FFXI hate thing is a ridiculous overreaction, by people who are just looking for an excuse to be outraged, so they can lash out, make a big scene and be noticed on a message forum. It's ridiculous, pointless posturing.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Sup everyone!

Rotoki

- Combat

- Crafting

- Overall feel

This, I think I would have enjoyed FFXIV:ARR far more if I had never played WoW. 

My sense from the beta forums is that FF vets who have not spent a significant amount of time playing WoW are by in large really enjoying ARR, so I would definantly recommend it for the OP.

Sup everyone!

Rotoki

- Combat

- Crafting

- Overall feel

What? Have you played FFXI & FFXIV? The two combat systems could hardly be MORE DIFFERENT.

The UI is different, the combat is basically the same, Auto attacks with cooldown timered abilities

PS3

You must not have played.

FFXI is auto-attack with abilities in between, rarely, if at all, and used to massive success if used properly, it required strategy and timing, proper planning.  If your attack missed an enemy - that could be it for you. Fighting an enemy 10 levels lower than you could get hairy.  You get to take in the sights and have engaging combat.

FFXIV is slam buttons as fast as you can. No single enemy is a challenge, ever, everything is soloable. Fight something 5 levels tougher than you? Might be a challenge, but most likely not. During the Alpha & Beta, I've known several people to solo a monster 12 levels higher than them. I miss that sense of danger. It's missing from FFXIV. Everything is super fast and flashy, you don't get to appreciate any of the details

It's a huge difference.

FFXI is auto-attack with abilities in between, rarely, if at all, and used to massive success if used properly, it required strategy and timing, proper planning.  If your attack missed an enemy - that could be it for you. Fighting an enemy 10 levels lower than you could get hairy.  You get to take in the sights and have engaging combat.

FFXIV is slam buttons as fast as you can. No single enemy is a challenge, ever, everything is soloable. Fight something 5 levels tougher than you? Might be a challenge, but most likely not. During the Alpha & Beta, I've known several people to solo a monster 12 levels higher than them. I miss that sense of danger. It's missing from FFXIV. Everything is super fast and flashy, you don't get to appreciate any of the details

It's a huge difference.

Its a timing thing, not a different system. All they did was speed it up and you are claiming its the new sliced bread. It is not really different then XI. I wonder if you have even played it.

PS3

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584

ARR is amazing . I played XI for 7 years and I myself never played WoW . This game is not like XI but has some things from XI ( other people will say it is from other games but in fact  they are from FF XI and V1.0 )

Let me start with FATEs . Fates are like XIs Campaign Battle but happen more often and happen all over the map . You can join by running up and being there . No need to talk to a NPC to get tags . Some FATEs you need to talk to a NPC but that is to hand in FATE objects the NPC wants to finish the FATE.

Other FATEs include defending strong holds from attacking mobs . This will remind you of besieged in White Gate . A horde of Mobs will come and try to take over a camp . Any NPCs at the camp if not defended will be taken away and held prisoner . Later you will have to reclaim the area and free the NPCs.

There are no HNMs or NMs other then FATE mobs giant boss battles with a named NM that everyone can fight but has no loot . A lot of us want NM or even HNMs but im not sure it will happen .

You still have the base party set up . Tank , DDs , Healing or Tank , DDs , DoT/Buff , Healer Dungeons are 4 man at the start then 8 and up to 24 I think ( could be wrong )

There are Classes that turn into Jobs . There is no Sub job in ARR . But you can take abilities from any class and add them to your current class. Jobs are different in that the skill set is the same for that job , no mixing of other class or job abilities . Jobs are the advanced class .

The LS is now a place for people to hang out and chat . The Free Company ( FC ) is the new LS . Free companies can have a large housing area for all the members along with your own house .

Trash mobs are not the best way to exp in ARR. So party grinding on mobs is a thing of the past . The best way to level in order from best to least is this . Dungeon>Guildheist ( group based guildleves/quests) > Guildleves > FATE > Monster log > Questing > trash mobs ( just my opinion )

The  AH is set up now so that when you hit a level in the game ( right now its 20 ) you get a retainer . A retainer holds items for you that you can sell or keep as a storage . To sell your items you add a price to the item and your retainer will see it on the market boards . Your retainer can also buy things for you . So if you wanted to buy a brass waraxe . You would go to the market boards look up the brass waraxe and buy it . Retainers can do other things also .

The battle system is like this . You start out with full TP . Your Chr. will auto-attack but it is just to fill in the space in time to do attacks . you can burn abilities at will ( just about at will ) some abilities are on a timer most attacks are on the same timer and its like .5 seconds if that . so example your a Pug . You engage a mob your Chr. will do an auto-attack wile it is doing that you press an attack ability then you press another attack ability then you press another attack wile you pressed the third attack ability your Chr. has been auto-attacking . At low levels TP is not an issue . But the higher level the more you have to think about TP . TP will generate back wile you auto-attack so will MP and if you don't get hit HP . You no loner have to /rest for MP or HP it just regenerates .

Limit breaks are like ultimate weapon skills . The party fills a bar or set of bars the more bars that are filled the stronger the effect . A mage can cast a meteor on the mob , a healer can cast like a advanced form of benediction witch can raise and heal players . Pld can make a wall of defense for all players . Any player at any time can activate the LB . But what class activates it determines what LB the party will do .

Off the top of my head that's really all I can think of . But as I said I love this game . hands down one of the better MMOs that have come out in a long long time

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

I actually despise the "Trash mobs",  FFXI was my favorite MMO because every fight wasn't a joke and was tough.

I dislike RAIDING, I find FATES boring, and the removal of NM's insulting. Removing the need for Sneak / Invisible is also just an absurdity.

This "Dash" skill we all have is such bullshit. It basically means you can run away from any Enemy, ever.

They've removed the heart and soul of what made the game unique!

Yoshi-P is one of the worst things to happen to the franchise...and christ, they added Jumping, for absolutely no reason - and now there a ton of invisible walls that break immersion everywhere. It's so awful.

You can walk from major city to major city in 10-15 minutes. So quick, or you can just pay a cheap fee and warp there. Also, boats and airships are instant-travel. No travel-time. YOu just fade to black and appear at the other port. Say goodbye to Pirate attacks, sea-fishing, and a real sense of world.

I really hate how people saying they don' want "Time-wasting mechanics" in a MMORPG...it's a VIDEO GAME, it's ALL A WASTE OF TIME, you are PLAYING THEM -TO- WASTE TIME.

Why, why did the Casuals have to come and ruin our genre? We didn't go to their games and demand they be made more hardcore - no, we said "There is a market for them.", and we left em alone.

But they came to our Market and are destroying it.

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Loved FFXI back in the day, moved on since and have been looking for an MMO....been playing phase 3 and I feel in love, Final Fantasy with a combat system that is of this century and a great leader behind it...haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. FFXI was great for the time being but, its system are def extremely dated and FFXIV brings FFXI to the modern era
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Its a timing thing, not a different system. All they did was speed it up and you are claiming its the new sliced bread. It is not really different then XI. I wonder if you have even played it.

That's like saying a Prius is the same car as a Ferrari, only the latter is a bit faster ...

• UoriUori Member Posts: 8

I played FFXI since it was released in the US when Zilart was the only expansion. I love the UI of FFXI, not having to use the mouse for anything. I especially like the menu system, and listing of magic and abilities. Not needing a hotbar, and simply being able to scroll through an ability (or asign them to the macro bar which is basically the hotbar) I thought was great.

I've played in each phase of ARR beta, and I will say that I actually really like the UI. There is no abilities or magic menus like in FFXI, but the new UI does let you assign keys to the point where the controls are basically from FFXI. You can tab through enemies, PC's, NPC's, and world items just like in FFXI, and there is an interact button to select/interact with things just like in FFXI. You can move the character and camera with the keyboard as well. 

Interacting with the various menu screens, such as inventory and the character sheet, can also be done through the keyboard. It's not as intuitive as in FFXI, but it can be done. The whole test this past weekend, my goal was to just use the keyboard. I was able to progress from level 1 to 10 through quests, talking to NPC's (and partying), as well as equipping gear and selling items at shops all with just the keyboard.

If you're an old school FFXI gamer that is adverse to the concept of using the mouse, I think you'll be fine with simply customizing the keyboard controls to be very close to what you had in FFXI.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

It's a huge difference.

I got overwhelmed attempting a Fate on my own this weekend solo.  3 mobs and they wiped me and I was only 2 levels lower and a marauder at that.  Not sure how far you got, but I'm thinking you might be making things up.  The game has it's challenges and gets tougher as you delve deeper into the game.

About the combat, yes you can spam buttons, but I found the best way to win fights was to hit my DOT, Hit my main attack, let auto attack take a swing and then immediately hit my main attack again or a different one, thereby creating a nice rhythm to combat in the very early levels.  It's miles above FFXI where you literally use one skill every time the TP meter fills and just sit and watch as you auto attack, pretty slowly I might add, until you can use a big hit.  Nothing tactical or strategic about that type of combat. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED FFXI for it's time but it's old now and this FFXIV has gotten rid of all the nuisances that made FFXI such a pain in the butt to play let alone get into. 

Can't wait for Open Beta!  Finally a FF MMORPG that is modern and that I can just sink into.  Really excited to see what they have planned post launch.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I actually despise the "Trash mobs",  FFXI was my favorite MMO because every fight wasn't a joke and was tough.

I dislike RAIDING, I find FATES boring, and the removal of NM's insulting. Removing the need for Sneak / Invisible is also just an absurdity.

This "Dash" skill we all have is such bullshit. It basically means you can run away from any Enemy, ever.

Yoshi-P is one of the worst things to happen to the franchise...and christ, they added Jumping, for absolutely no reason - and now there a ton of invisible walls that break immersion everywhere. It's so awful.

You can walk from major city to major city in 10-15 minutes. So quick, or you can just pay a cheap fee and warp there. Also, boats and airships are instant-travel. No travel-time. YOu just fade to black and appear at the other port. Say goodbye to Pirate attacks, sea-fishing, and a real sense of world.

I really hate how people saying they don' want "Time-wasting mechanics" in a MMORPG...it's a VIDEO GAME, it's ALL A WASTE OF TIME, you are PLAYING THEM -TO- WASTE TIME.

Why, why did the Casuals have to come and ruin our genre? We didn't go to their games and demand they be made more hardcore - no, we said "There is a market for them.", and we left em alone.

??? Really?  Name me ONE Final Fantasy that is exactly the same as the one before it.(Obviously the spinoffs don't count) Why would they keep NMs or Invis/Sneak?  Those are staples of FFXI.

I'm thinking that if you hate this game that much, then stay in FFXI and don't try ANY more games from here on out.  Nothing comes close and nothing will be like it, EVER.  Enjoy the past, since that's where you seem to be stuck.

And are you really upset over them adding a Jump feature?  I think that's the first time I've ever heard a complaint about what is considered a common mechanic in just about every video game since 2004.

• Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59

There are challenges in FFXIV. Just the other day I saw several threads on beta forum of people complaining about difficulty of main story battles and that's at level 10-15. Fates can also be challenging if you attempt them solo, especially when NMs spawn. I'm not aware of all the endgame content, but from what I've read the fights against Ifrit and Garuda are also very challenging. There will be even more avatar battles at launch.

Having to cast sneak and invisible was an inconvenience. If by unique, you mean the annoying aspects of FFXI? Then yes, you're right.

There are certain things that are expected from all modern MMOs and all the features you mentioned are features players have come to love and expect in their MMOs. SE wants this to be more than a niche game. They want mass appeal.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I only got to level 6 and I never played the original, but it is such a MAJOR turnoff to see a city divided into zones and that the map doesn't show the entire city unless you click on that zone from a drop down. The zone crampiness so far feels just like AOC. I prefer the more open feel of WOW, LOTRO, even SWTOR felt less cramped and cities weren't divided into zoned sections. The other turn off for me is the PVE so far is so generically boring. I feel like it went backwards as far as wall of text wtih no voice that nobody cares about. Anyway, I'm going to try to continue playing this weekend and am hoping that it changes and that I am just in a training type of area lol. I am reporting bugs so Im trying to contribute :-).

Graphics are amazing, like the music, animations are fine, but I am waiting for more.

There Is Always Hope!