Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I?

GGaFxGGaFx Member Posts: 151

Should i buy this game n why?

I like the skill base combat n stuff.  

love the FFA pvp system reminds of Vanguard FFA but VG had no safe zones just city guards n faction.

my quest is it a buggy game like VG n how is the pvp are the balances there no OP build.

Comments

• GGaFxGGaFx Member Posts: 151
    its is a combo of VG n RYL aka risk your life PVP system now that i think about it.  both games i loved. 
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

the pvp system is fun so long as you have the mindset that eventually someone is gonna kill you and take your stuff.  I never played on vg's pvp server so i cant speak to how similar they are.

i remember how buggy vg was when i played it and df is less buggy.  however it also has less depth in its systems than vg does by a lot.

i do feel very invested in my character in DF so i can endorse it in that regard.  it's not perfect but hey.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

No, you should not.

I've played on the tharridon server (vanguard ffa pvp server). Darkfall is nothing like vanguard. It gets old quick.

I played vanguard for over a year, but I quit Darkfall after the initial month.

--------------------------------------------
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    I like it.
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I can only speak to the original game.  I loved it.  Guilds/clans are important, so you if you are into teamwork that is a bonus.  The combat was not perfect in the first game, but it was fluid enough to be effective and fun.  I thought the AI for the mobs was well done.  I played for about 8 months.  I played it and nothing much else.  

In the end I realized I wasn't relaxing when i played because you do have to always be looking over your shoulder.  Ultimately I wanted something more low-key to help me chill out after a long day at work.  I miss it mostly for the cooperative element in the clans -- gathering materials, building fortresses, sieges, sea battles, etc.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by GGaFx

Should i buy this game n why?

I like the skill base combat n stuff.  

love the FFA pvp system reminds of Vanguard FFA but VG had no safe zones just city guards n faction.

my quest is it a buggy game like VG n how is the pvp are the balances there no OP build.

Every role has an OP ability that everyone bitches about.  Warriors are a bit more OP for 1vs1 duels though...duels are just that and for realistic pvp getting the jump on your opponent means more than role.  Also there seem to be occasional FOTM builds.  First there was a strength primalist (healer mage) now it seem a lot of people are going dexterity warriors.

Also instead of rerolling another character to try something else just start spending prowress (XP) on those skills,stats, and boosters and change roles.  Eventually you will get enough to be anything you want with a few clicks and gear change.

The FFA is tied to full loot, you will need to adjust your gaming habits for this.  Bank often and lose less.

Also the skill ceiling, while not nearly as astronomically high as the first game, is still quite steep.  You are going to be bad at the game for a while, especially if you don't practice and duel friendlies in clan holdings.  Gear and prowress level only helps give an edge.

Game has a rough learning curve mostly due to the fact you will get ganked.  Find a clan ASAP like right after the tutorial, get in voice comms (if you don't youll be accused of being a spy lol) right away you will have lots of questions and a lot of the need to know things are not obvious or clearly explained.

Also, I suggest swapping roles a lot before spending any prowress.  Give them each a try.  Your probably going to want to focus on one role the first month and stick with it, other roles after and will be quicker to fill out (your main stats eat a huge amount of prowress and most are benefitial to all classes)

Be prepared to lose, lose gear, be prepared for a company that's slow with updates and are silent in communication..however updates have come a lot quicker than in the past.  Also be prepared for a LOT of really negative and mad veterans from the first game.  They are mad over stuff that has no effect on you as a new player...unless you really care about how combat changed between the old and the new game.

Game is based on clan warfare politics, get into a clan asap.  You CAN go to sieges new and should go to everyone you can despite being new or sucky or under geared.

(also go hawks!)

thanks for the feed back fellas. I like the ideas they have and love clan wars sieging stuff.  brings me back to the old FFA days of Vanguard where we would invade guild halls and gank a whole guild or two.  we did lose money in VG but not loot so i would have to get used to that haha.  

the thing about these games is anything goes for the most part.  i remember when a player complained to a GM this is before SOE got ahold of VG and said he is griefing me.  the GM respond to the guy with sorry can't help ya its apart of the game. 

I used to camp cities and gank for infamy which was cool way to show who was the best ganker.  does DFUW have something like that RYL had a point system too they didnt give anything it was all about bragging rights. the one thing I like about RYL point system was it had a tab to see the ranks n a little icon to see their rank so you kind of knew who to avoid if you saw him/her. 

I kind of wish they had like a 14 day trail thing.  I dont want to waste my money it seem like all you do these days is waste money on fail mmo's. 

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

thanks for the feed back fellas. I like the ideas they have and love clan wars sieging stuff.  brings me back to the old FFA days of Vanguard where we would invade guild halls and gank a whole guild or two.  we did lose money in VG but not loot so i would have to get used to that haha.  

the thing about these games is anything goes for the most part.  i remember when a player complained to a GM this is before SOE got ahold of VG and said he is griefing me.  the GM respond to the guy with sorry can't help ya its apart of the game. 

I used to camp cities and gank for infamy which was cool way to show who was the best ganker.  does DFUW have something like that RYL had a point system too they didnt give anything it was all about bragging rights. the one thing I like about RYL point system was it had a tab to see the ranks n a little icon to see their rank so you kind of knew who to avoid if you saw him/her. 

I kind of wish they had like a 14 day trail thing.  I dont want to waste my money it seem like all you do these days is waste money on fail mmo's. 

The game is on the way down right now and I know half of my clan has unsubbed and this will be their final month.  Our ally has only half their members even logging in - they ONLY log in for sieges if that, lol

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/view/forums/post/5801208/thread/388463#5801208

damn well lets hope this decline will get them to lower the price or make a trail day period. 

in a pvp game you need a health play pop or it just gets boring real fast. 

this is what happend to VG since they neglected us so much most people left the game. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    My clan is still going strong and I'm still having fun.  Last night was pretty crazy.  Went into the new dungeon yesterday for awhile and then we killed a few people.  When I left the dungeon I was killed, but this is why I love Darkfall.  You get the high highs and the low lows.  I will take that over a flat line experience anyday of the week.
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    My clan is booming. Unrealistic df1 vets are quitting and they are being replaced by fresh new blood

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    My clan has been going from strength to strength, the game is definately worth a try if you're interested in the features offered :)
    Great to hear peoples clans are doing well. i'm not sure why all these vets are trying to hurt their beloved game.  its only been a few months since this game has been released. give it some time.  well hopefully i can start playing soon.  it'd help if steam has a sale for DFUW maybe next month crossing fingers. 
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

No, you shouldn't.

It's not a sandbox - there is more sandbox in WoW.

DFUW is a giant PvP arena. It is like a big monkey cage - with no sand, just ......... to fling at each other.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

No, you shouldn't.

DFUW is a giant PvP arena. It is like a big monkey cage - with no sand, just ......... to fling at each other.

While I agree that Darkfall is a giant pvp arena, it's still a sandbox.  Damn good one too...with lots of room for improvement.   

Great to hear peoples clans are doing well. i'm not sure why all these vets are trying to hurt their beloved game.  its only been a few months since this game has been released. give it some time.  well hopefully i can start playing soon.  it'd help if steam has a sale for DFUW maybe next month crossing fingers. 

Oh the ans is simple.  DF1 Vets thinks if they can kill DFUW then AV will bring back their precious DF1.  They are delusional.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

No, you shouldn't.

This is exactly how I felt when I played. Also, I personally felt the combat was crappy but that is a completely different issue. If you're looking for an open-world sandbox this game is not for you at all. Literally you're only activities, especially at first, will be kill and craft with one of the most boring crafting systems I have ever seen buried into the most horrendous UI I've ever seen. I was always told that later on with clans and sieges it gets fun, but I never understood why a clan would fight over holdings other than good fights?

If all you want is chaotic open pvp in a game where literally everyone who is not blue is kill on sight, DFUW is for you. But honestly I think you'd get more bang for your buck looking into a fighting game.

The only real sandbox option is still EVE, in my opinion. Wushu comes close but is still a bit too themeparky and I don't like the setting, but the game is growing on me.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• B1mbleB1mble Member CommonPosts: 148
    I would go with Mount and Blade Warband with either cRPG mod or Nord Invasion (If you want a permanent toon).  Large battles, castle sieges etc etc.  Plus if you want real PvP turn auto block off :P
    Originally posted by svandy

No, you shouldn't.

This is exactly how I felt when I played. Also, I personally felt the combat was crappy but that is a completely different issue. If you're looking for an open-world sandbox this game is not for you at all. Literally you're only activities, especially at first, will be kill and craft with one of the most boring crafting systems I have ever seen buried into the most horrendous UI I've ever seen. I was always told that later on with clans and sieges it gets fun, but I never understood why a clan would fight over holdings other than good fights?

If all you want is chaotic open pvp in a game where literally everyone who is not blue is kill on sight, DFUW is for you. But honestly I think you'd get more bang for your buck looking into a fighting game.

The only real sandbox option is still EVE, in my opinion. Wushu comes close but is still a bit too themeparky and I don't like the setting, but the game is growing on me.

Irony, you want sandbox yet you want AV to layout the structure for you...

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71

thanks for the feed back fellas. I like the ideas they have and love clan wars sieging stuff.  brings me back to the old FFA days of Vanguard where we would invade guild halls and gank a whole guild or two.  we did lose money in VG but not loot so i would have to get used to that haha.   the thing about these games is anything goes for the most part.  i remember when a player complained to a GM this is before SOE got ahold of VG and said he is griefing me.  the GM respond to the guy with sorry can't help ya its apart of the game.  I used to camp cities and gank for infamy which was cool way to show who was the best ganker.  does DFUW have something like that RYL had a point system too they didnt give anything it was all about bragging rights. the one thing I like about RYL point system was it had a tab to see the ranks n a little icon to see their rank so you kind of knew who to avoid if you saw him/her.    I kind of wish they had like a 14 day trail thing.  I dont want to waste my money it seem like all you do these days is waste money on fail mmo's. 

The game is on the way down right now and I know half of my clan has unsubbed and this will be their final month.  Our ally has only half their members even logging in - they ONLY log in for sieges if that, lol

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/view/forums/post/5801208/thread/388463#5801208

OP, don't listen to this guy. Aside from the people complaining about the game being on the decline, I haven't seen anything pointing towards that. I still get constant pvp and clan politics seem to be at an all time high since launch.

No, you shouldn't. It's not a sandbox - there is more sandbox in WoW. DFUW is a giant PvP arena. It is like a big monkey cage - with no sand, just ......... to fling at each other.

How is there more sand in wow?
  • RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    It's worth a sub for a month. I had fun for almost a full month and i unsubed right after. The end game part of DFO is boring as hell. Farming and kill players time to time is fun, but pvping and pvping time to time is not fun at all.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    It's worth a sub for a month. I had fun for almost a full month and i unsubed right after. The end game part of DFO is boring as hell. Farming and kill players time to time is fun, but pvping and pvping time to time is not fun at all.

Depends on what you want. It's a very skill-based game. So if you enjoy getting better and like competitive games, you'll like it. Also the politics are an ongoing phenomenon as well. There's always ways to improve your clan's holding, hurt enemy clans etc.

ya $15 would be nice. 
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

If they just added all the stuff from DF1 and made some more depth It'd be a solid game, but literally all there is to it is 

1. Mindlessly grind PVE mobs

2. Mindlessly farm mats, donate to guild crafter so you can get siege gear

3. Have epic seige, but for no reason since the games a huge deathmatch.  

Repeat back to one.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL