Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP compiled Info

first time poster, but long time lurker :P , I have posted it in the beta forums but posting it here for MMORPG members , there are no NDA broken from these information and so here it goes:

as the title mentioned, I will try to compile the information I have found about PVP in FFXIV since pvp information is scattered around the forum and websites. i have to give credit to all various posters in the forum who brought the information too. anyways here it goes:

[B][SIZE="3"]Quotes from Yoshida:[/SIZE][/B]

[I]"For A Realm Reborn‘s PvP we plan to implement two elements: the Coliseum for “casual” PvP matches and the Frontline for large-scale PvP battles. Frontline will feature epic battles among the three city-states and would be similar to a Realm vs. Realm which you can look forward to."[/I]

[I]" we are designing it so that players that do not wish to take part in PvP are not forced to. The battle framework we are currently working on takes into account future PVP contents. We are planning two approaches to PvP. The first are battles in the Coliseum where you can have a fair duel against an opponent. The second is a PvP area where you can fight for control of various influences with several players."[/I]

[I]" We are planning to have it so you can view the camera of the players PvPing, but we’re just barely progressing with this, so we will be looking into this as a feature to be released in the future"[/I]

[I]" as far as PvP goes, opposing players will take fall damage during a match."

" First off, let me introduce a few of the rewards players can obtain through PvP. This PvP exclusive equipment has been modeled after animals"

"A geographic anomaly near Limsa Lominsa was shown very briefly in the “A New Beginning” trailer, the inside of which has been converted into an arena. Players will register for PvP battles inside the ship out front. The first PvP arena we plan to introduce will include pillars, stairs and other obstacles that players can exploit when engaging their opponents."

"After registration, players will be matched up automatically against other players based on their PvP ranking. It will be very casual, so hopefully everyone at least tries it out!"

"I'm not planning to allow PK in the Coliseum. Please consider similar to a sports match where the teams hold a sports-like competition. However, with the other one that takes place in the PvP area, players may be attacked by others at any moment as long as they are in that area. So as long as you don't enter that area, you will be safe."

" We’ve actually expanded the battle team just recently. And there are quite a lot of them that have played PVP games with me. We’ve put a lot of work into the system, including the core design"

" What we've decided to do is create two separate sets of skills for that players will have the freedom to interchange depending on whether they’re playing PvE or PvP. These PvP actions will be obtained through participation in PVP"[/I]

[I]" I'm not sure how knowledgeable most people are about PvP, especially in the JP community, but the coliseum that we're planning to implement at launch is something like...a gathering place for the world's strongest warriors. When a PvP battle starts, you'll see four players from the opposing team on the other side. Once the signal is given, the battle starts. Now, if I was a black mage, I'd obviously focus on casting magic from a far while trying to keep my distance, since I'd be slaughtered in close combat. I might also hide behind pillars or other obstructions while attacking to prevent others from targeting me. 

Of course, I'm sure opposing warriors and paladins would attack me first because of my low defense, so I would probably try to cast sleep or repose to take them out of the fight for a short while. Depending on your role and the situation, you'll want to fight with a different style. And, as I mentioned in the previous live letter, you can use the environment to your advantage. These matches will be balanced around 4 vs. 4. Hopefully everyone can try it out and go from there. 

That's the general idea behind PvP. Of course, there will be situations where melee characters try to ensnare casters, or think of ways to prevent the opposing player from running away with sprint. Oh, and you'll be able to restore TP by using potions. I could go on and on about it. Anyway, you’ll receive points when you win a match.

And when you gain a certain amount of points, your PvP rank will go up. As you gain ranks in PVP, you'll receive a different type of points. These particular points can be used to obtain weapon skills, for example. PvP players can create certain builds by using these points. These points can also be used to purchase the PvP gear I introduced last time. 

So essentially, your goal would be to gain points through matches to obtain PVP skills, passive abilities, and gear to grow stronger. You can even buy—well, I might get yelled at by the Battle team for saying this but...

For example, you'll be able to purchase this one paladin PVP ability, and its effect changes depending on what grand company you've joined."[/I]

[B]Update 27/4/2013[/B]

[I]"The PvP Coliseum will be added during phase 4 of the beta, but all PvP points earned will be reset at release to be fair to those not participating to the beta test."[/I]

[B]Update 13/6/2013[/B]

UNOFFICIAL TRANSLATION

[I]on front line, we are planning to implement it on patch 2.2 or 2.3 we’re talking which one it’s going to be on, it has higher probability of it being on 2.3 but once you go in, depending on your grand company the starting point changes so, you’re going to take over forts against other players. there are parts where crafters also comes to play. the frontline zones will be open for PVP 24hrs [/I]

Update 10/7/2013

From Yoshida interview:

First of all, we are going to introduce one part of the PVP we're planning to make, Coliseum. This is going to be 4 vs. 4 or 8 vs. 8. With this next beta phase, 4, we're going to test that out - so you'll be able to find out what happens when different classes or jobs fight against each other within FF14.

This Coliseum will be introduced with patch 2.0, straight away after launch. Six months after launch, we're planning to also introduce another PVP called Frontline. This is more like a RvR - Realm versus Realm. This uses whole zones - it's a large-scale PVP.

Player-on-player battles are in the works, but some modes won't make launch. With this PVP system, there's going to be different character systems compared to the PVE version. If you win a battle in PVP, you'll earn points, and when you collect these points you can exchange for certain abilities or skills or equipment dedicated to the PVP system. As such, you can level up your character in a sense within the PVP system.

If you want to focus on PVE, that's absolutely fine, but if you do get a chance to try out PVP, please do so - you'll get to think about what kind of skills you want to use, what kind of gear you want to use - make sure you have good enough gear to stand up in PVP.

There's lots of excitement in the PVP - it's not just about hitting each other and things like that. If you haven't done PVP before, just give it a try and I hope you enjoy it. If you don't like the idea of hitting another player, then don't worry - you can concentrate on the PVE and try to become the Warrior of Light.

That being said, if you want to meet me in game, you have to come into the Coliseum or the Frontline - that's where I'll be! [laughs] That's my thing.

Comments

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

[SIZE="3"][B]PICTURES:[/B][/SIZE]

Arena

Front Lines

PVP gear:

new

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Im wondering how they will balance frontline, considering that the starting city states are dependent on class.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I REALLY hoped they didn't do pvp. It's going to be a half assed approach because they focus on pve much more.

Originally posted by svann
    Im wondering how they will balance frontline, considering that the starting city states are dependent on class.

you can only enroll in the grand companies at Level 20. and so you have the luxury to choose any of them. I would say more but it will spoil the storyline.

Also Yoshida was ranked 1st in a tournament for  DOAC or DOTA not sure. hardcore PVPer, so I still believe he will develop a good system. 

Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang

you can only enroll in the grand companies at Level 20. and so you have the luxury to choose any of them. I would say more but it will spoil the storyline.

Also Yoshida was ranked 1st in a tournament for  DOAC or DOTA not sure. hardcore PVPer, so I still believe he will develop a good system. 

Like Yoshida himself?! wow..

• Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59
    I wonder when PVP will be added for testing. Supposedly it will be available at launch, which means it must be available for testing soon. Surely they wouldn't release the game without testing PVP.
  • striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Like Yoshida himself?! wow..

He was hardcore into DAoC PvP so I think it will be decent at least.

• jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154
    I REALLY hoped they didn't do pvp. It's going to be a half assed approach because they focus on pve much more.

I guess if your the instant gratification short term judge a book by its cover type than yes.

However, logically speaking what example can you provide of quality pvp in an MMO that the dev team didn't start with PvE first?

I'll help you out, depending on your cup of tea WoW, GW2, FFXI, SWTOR, pretty much any big name big budget themepark MMO that i can recall with any sort of appealing pvp system focused on PvE first naturally since they are a business and not a Kuppa opinion pleasing firm.

Really tired of people comparing apples and oranges.

Just because a themepark MMO is PvE centric does NOT mean devs should just ignore spicing things up and developing pvp, especially since P2P models are contingent upon long-term development projects and content.

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Maik36
    I wonder when PVP will be added for testing. Supposedly it will be available at launch, which means it must be available for testing soon. Surely they wouldn't release the game without testing PVP.

Phase 4 will have the Coliseum. 

And I doubt that Yoshida, as an MMOFan and an amazing PvPer, would even allow the concept of a half-assed PvP system to get through development. 

Also, keep in mind PvP has their own sets of abilities, for the most part, for the purpose of not messing up PvE balance for the sake of PvP and vice versa.

I personally can't wait :)

Do they have a means to avoid everyone choosing the same team?

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

the three companies, at least in 1.0, were pretty well represented. It mostly boils down to personal preference, which characters you like more, which city is your favorite, what colors you prefer. 

I don't why they'd be massively imbalanced. 

But there is also the feature where you can undergo some quests to switch your Grand Company later so...

Originally posted by jskeets916

I guess if your the instant gratification short term judge a book by its cover type than yes.

However, logically speaking what example can you provide of quality pvp in an MMO that the dev team didn't start with PvE first?

I'll help you out, depending on your cup of tea WoW, GW2, FFXI, SWTOR, pretty much any big name big budget themepark MMO that i can recall with any sort of appealing pvp system focused on PvE first naturally since they are a business and not a Kuppa opinion pleasing firm.

Just because a themepark MMO is PvE centric does NOT mean devs should just ignore spicing things up and developing pvp, especially since P2P models are contingent upon long-term development projects and content.

Most mmos(almost all) have pvp tacked on, this is a pretty easy assumption to make since there aren't any big pvp tournaments that use mmo pvp. There are a handful though that have pvp permeated throughout the design of the game. You can see that in GW2 and DAOC. You definitely do not see that on FFXVI. Even looking back at FFXI their focus has never been pvp, they emphasize their pve experience. When they end up tacking on pvp they just create a lousy pvp experience and affect pve in the process.

If you are one of those that don't care how good the pvp is then I can see why you won't care.

Most mmos(almost all) have pvp tacked on, this is a pretty easy assumption to make since there aren't any big pvp tournaments that use mmo pvp. There are a handful though that have pvp permeated throughout the design of the game. You can see that in GW2 and DAOC. You definitely do not see that on FFXVI. Even looking back at FFXI their focus has never been pvp, they emphasize their pve experience. When they end up tacking on pvp they just create a lousy pvp experience and affect pve in the process.

If you are one of those that don't care how good the pvp is then I can see why you won't care.

You actually make a great point and I would agree with the notion that from what we've seen pvp is not permeated throughout the design of the game to that of the emphasis of GW1/2 and DAOC, however we have yet to even see the beta testing of ARR's pvp to make such a claim that it will be half assed.

Keep in mind WoW's arenas at their height of their popularity > DAOC or GW.  I didn't even play WoW really, and i'm not stating that it was more quality, but it was clearly appealing to a successful mass of people so lets at least give them a shot.

This game's development philosophy is more akin to WoW's than DAOC or GW, so at least give it a similar window, remember arena's in WoW came long after initial launch, and it seems they already have more dynamic pvp such as frontlines at least in the pipeline.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

If GW2 is an example of solid PvP then we truly are screwed.

You actually make a great point and I would agree with the notion that from what we've seen pvp is not permeated throughout the design of the game to that of the emphasis of GW1/2 and DAOC, however we have yet to even see the beta testing of ARR's pvp to make such a claim that it will be half assed.

Keep in mind WoW's arenas at their height of their popularity > DAOC or GW.  I didn't even play WoW really, and i'm not stating that it was more quality, but it was clearly appealing to a successful mass of people so lets at least give them a shot.

This game's development philosophy is more akin to WoW's than DAOC or GW, so at least give it a similar window, remember arena's in WoW came long after initial launch, and it seems they already have more dynamic pvp such as frontlines at least in the pipeline.

They haven't released info on pvp that is much relevant yet and haven't shown it. The release is in two months, if pvp was core part of the design it would have been easily noticeable at this point. But, like you mention we don't know. They might pull a rabbit out of the hat when release comes around but I highly doubt it.

WoW's pvp was popular not because it was particularly good but because there were TONS of ppl playing the game. You don't think back to WoW and say man that was a good pvp game. GW, DAOC are games built from the ground up with pvp in mind. I don't believe FF is the same and like all the other mmo games the overall quality will suffer for it. I also highly doubt this game will ever be as popular as WoW.

Originally posted by redcapp

If GW2 is an example of solid PvP then we truly are screwed.

Mainly arena pvp. Yes, compared to all the other arena mmo pvp games out there it's pretty much as solid as they come.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

FRONTLINE got my attention ! I love world class faction conflict.

Now I have dig out more details.

It's easy to be pessimistic about this games faction conflict.That would be the logical thinking. But consider ...the person calling the shots is a hard core DAOC player---(translation)...he knows world class rvr and loves it.

DAOC is a 11 year old game. Its technology and graphics are certainly not up to todays standards...yet it still has people paying $15/month for the experience...with almost no customer support or game development.

So for me......I have another possibility for my  faction vs faction fetish....and there's no evidence(just conjecture) that its poorly done.

Originally posted by redcloud16

the three companies, at least in 1.0, were pretty well represented. It mostly boils down to personal preference, which characters you like more, which city is your favorite, what colors you prefer. 

Typically the problem in other mmo's has been that people tend to choose the winning side.

They haven't released info on pvp that is much relevant yet and haven't shown it. The release is in two months, if pvp was core part of the design it would have been easily noticeable at this point. But, like you mention we don't know. They might pull a rabbit out of the hat when release comes around but I highly doubt it.

WoW's pvp was popular not because it was particularly good but because there were TONS of ppl playing the game. You don't think back to WoW and say man that was a good pvp game. GW, DAOC are games built from the ground up with pvp in mind. I don't believe FF is the same and like all the other mmo games the overall quality will suffer for it. I also highly doubt this game will ever be as popular as WoW.

So your argument is that since its not been revealed as a mainstay in the initial core design > PvE, that games such as GW2 or DAOC with it in mind thus have greater pvp?

That's incredibly subjective as well since you assume your opinion as to what constitutes greater pvp is > than that of an EXPONENTIALLY larger population such as those who played WoW's arena pvp.

I'm sorry but how is GW2 and DAOC's pvp doing today?  Oh i'll tell you one went under and the other i just queued for a tournament 2 hours ago, it took 15 minutes to pop and we went against a premade but did well, 500-432.  You can't crown an MMO king of pvp just because it was designed initially for it, especially when both have been a failure and GW2 caters to its WvW and PvE crowd more than they initially planned.

Yes this game prolly won't have WoW numbers, but it's obvious as a subscription game to follow a similar development path in which PvP will be more integrated after it's initial launch. 

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Separate PvP and PvE skills.  Finally someone with a freaking brain.  All hail based Yoshi-P.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by aionix
    Separate PvP and PvE skills.  Finally someone with a freaking brain.  All hail based Yoshi-P.

While I support doing this, it really only works for instance pvp. If you have world pvp this type of thing doesn't really work well.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by redcloud16
    Originally posted by svann Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang Originally posted by svann Im wondering how they will balance frontline, considering that the starting city states are dependent on class.
    you can only enroll in the grand companies at Level 20. and so you have the luxury to choose any of them. I would say more but it will spoil the storyline.   Also Yoshida was ranked 1st in a tournament for  DOAC or DOTA not sure. hardcore PVPer, so I still believe he will develop a good system. 

But there is also the feature where you can undergo some quests to switch your Grand Company later so...

do you keep your rep when doing this or have to startover?

i presume it would be a good idea for our guild to pick the same grand company?

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    the pvp gear looks more badass than the artifact armor
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

Kuppa I wouldn't be so quick to judge, if I were you. To date Yoshi-P has been teasing us little by little, it could very well be he is saving the best for last. Which is a good thing, if they nail PvP, we're in for one hell of a game. Not only is he a hardcaore PvPer but the people designing the PvP have also PvPed with him.

Each test has been more impressive than the last, and I can't help but feel like he's saying wait until you see what I do next. With that kind of mindset, I have no doubt, that it's the very thing that will keep people coming back for more. He's keeping PvP very hush hush, right until the end.

With both solid PvE and solid PvP, you can't loose.

updated the pictures with Leo armor.

too many quotes to reply to, but here are some points of clarification:

1. There will be 2 elements of PVP, one which is an instance 4v4 will be there in phase 4 of this Beta, the other front lines which is RvRvR will be in patch 2.3 which is further down the road after release that is 2.0.

so for the argument that they are trying to implement PVP into the game late, its far from truth, they have been developing PVP side of the game as soon as ARR project started. you can notice even the maps have the locations ready, and even the character stats shows PVP DMG  reduction stats etc.

2.  the separation of PVE and PVP skills is a good thing even outside of instances, as the info released, we will have one or more PVP zone, but to complete the formula, the armory system in place gives you the ability to hit 1 click and your whole keybind and gear changes to PVP gear/skills. so I don't think its bad outside the instances.

3. I am still worried on grand companies issue being imbalanced, as one said players will just switch over the winining team. and i completely agree, I wonder how will they resolve this issue and what sort of conditions they will put to control it.

Finally, I know it might be funny to look for good PVP system in PVE centric game, but part of me want this part to succeed so that I can finally settle in this MMO for the longer term, as they  got an awesome Dev team that are pro-actively engaging with community ( hello witcher ) which is rare to find in an MMO market right now.