Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN & StoryBricks: Putting The RP Back In MMORPG

2»

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Storybricks will be developing the world in EQN, not providing software to have players do it.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Storybricks will be developing the world in EQN, not providing software to have players do it.

You have to admit, though, that providing players with some kind of toolset a la PWI's Foundry to create content would be pretty interesting. But I'm much more interested in seeing what professionals can do with the tech.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• DandalusDandalus Member Posts: 13
    This peaked my interest in EQN enough that, after all the years of just browsing MMORPG and never posting, I decided to. Heck, hard to find any other forums that talk about the game this much. I watched a few vids about Storybricks and, I must say, if SOE does this right...really cool.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

I dont know about this.

I get the feeling we will be building towns, and populating them.  i think its the answer to the enormous issue with all open world housing ever:  its always a ghost town outside of possibly peak guild times.  This will make player-made towns alive.

Imagine SWG towns with NPC going about their daily business and evolving based on your interactions with them.

Originally posted by jonrd463

You have to admit, though, that providing players with some kind of toolset a la PWI's Foundry to create content would be pretty interesting. But I'm much more interested in seeing what professionals can do with the tech.

This might say more about the NW team, but the good foundry quests blow away the developer made content

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    Everquest 2 has Dungeon Maker. EQ and EQ2 also have Heros Forge. Everquest players are already used to building things.

I can see this easily being provided for the players. Then the developers can utilize the Heros Forge where they review submissions and then offer the quests or dungeons or whatever content for sale:

"Selected items will be offered for sale in the SOE Marketplace alongside items created by staff artists, priced in SOE’s Station Cash virtual currency. Revenue from the sale of these items will be shared back with the creative player."

https://www.everquest.com/player-studio

Then for free we will be offered the usual list of a million quests made by a million people with a rating system of some sort as we already see in EQ2 with Dungeon Maker and in Neverwinter with their Foundry.

Who knows the implementation but it is very clear to me that SOE wants players to make the content to the point of having the Heros Forge where you have to be a graphic designer and have Maya or some other 3D mega expensive program and different layers etc etc.

I certainly hope StoryBricks is more accessible. I assume it will be because it was designed with the same principle as MINECRAFT, as a means to make your own game, in the case of StoryBricks make your own MMO.

Check out the Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/storybricks/storybricks-the-mmorpg-storytelling-toolset
  • ReznechekReznechek Member Posts: 11

Who know's if SOE is using the tool set just for themselves or if they plan to allow it for player's to use. We'll just have to wait until Aug. 2. 

My guess is that players will be able to hire an NPC and that they may become available depending on your skill level, achievements, or the building you've created (like civilization?) i.e. build your own mansion and you get an option to hire a butler or maid. Maybe then the player can assign the NPC to perform a particular task and give them their own desires/duties upon creation.

Just spit balling here, but whether or not faction based PVP is incorporated in EQN it would really help city/castle defenses when players are away. 

Originally posted by strangiato2112

This might say more about the NW team, but the good foundry quests blow away the developer made content

In an open world, it just won't work like that.

I've personally never been impressed with the whole player made content thing.  Not in ryzom or any game since.  I like the classic RPG feel where I'm a character in the world, not someone designing it from the outside.  If we do get to somehow create content, I see it being done in a way that promotes normal interactions with npcs and the world itself rather than a set of tools like you see in storybricks videos.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Sigh...here we go again people thinking the RP in MMORPG means players acting out their character in chat or voice chat.which it doesn't and never has.

But anyways the storybrick system does look good for all players not just RPers,it's great for them if they can create set pieces to base their RP in,but people who like to create are serviced by it as are gamers looking for more content.

If it works out at least.

Sorry to burst your balloon here but there are whole guilds of people who do exactly that today in WoW, EQ and EQ2.  When the term MMORPG was coined the RP in there meant exactly that.  Now I am not saying that RP was ever a majority persuit but on some servers in EQ it got close in the early days.

I've personally never been impressed with the whole player made content thing.  Not in ryzom or any game since.  I like the classic RPG feel where I'm a character in the world, not someone designing it from the outside.  If we do get to somehow create content, I see it being done in a way that promotes normal interactions with npcs and the world itself rather than a set of tools like you see in storybricks videos.

But look back to my post about building towns and populating them.  Maybe we cant directly add NPCs to the town but we can influence the ones that arrive.  Perhaps if we build a house near a forge a blacksmith will move in.  Build a house right outside the edge of town?  maybe a cranky hermit can move in.

Im really hoping SoE thinks very creatively like this.

How about the players find a nice ore deposit, and dig a mine out...uh oh, gnolls move in and take over the mine.   

But look back to my post about building towns and populating them.  Maybe we cant directly add NPCs to the town but we can influence the ones that arrive.  Perhaps if we build a house near a forge a blacksmith will move in.  Build a house right outside the edge of town?  maybe a cranky hermit can move in.

How about the players find a nice ore deposit, and dig a mine out...uh oh, gnolls move in and take over the mine.   

That would be awesome.  Sort of like a sim city type of thing.

That would be awesome.  Sort of like a sim city type of thing.

Really, shouldnt the genre's biggest sandbox really be SimNorrath?  

The trick is to make it not all world building though, there needs to be some kind of meaningful, reliable PvE content.  But man, the possibilities are endless.

What if Solusek Ro started demanding tribute from your town...and if you resisted he would come down and try to burn it to the ground...unless players banded together to force him back to his tower

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I can see StoryBricks being useful for developers.   But many of the original EQ quests were a) give guard a biscuit b) get miniscule amount of faction c) repeat 10.8 blujillion times.   I have the horrible feeling that this will enable the developers to add in a thousand variations on step a with ease.   Give the guard a biscuit, an apple, a bottle of milk, etc. for the miniscule sliver of faction.   SoE doesn't seem likely to address the real problem here, step c.

As for pushing this out to the customer, I'd like to see SoE take an approach similar to the system they use for Hero's Forge -- everything must be submitted to SoE for publishing.  This would reduce the chances of a dungeon that would simple give out an Uber Sword of Gnoll Whacking to anyone who walked in.  It would require substantial 'reviews' for appropriateness by SoE before it would hit the user community.   That might generate a bit more work than SoE expects.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by jagd241
    There are better videos on SB technology.

indeed there is........going to be interesting on how this will play out.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by TheJoda
    Originally posted by jagd241
    There are better videos on SB technology.

indeed there is........going to be interesting on how this will play out.

There's a couple of videos on /r/eqnext