Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am sort of bummed about how Jobs work

rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

When I first read about 1.0 FFXIV I was a little disappointed that they didn't bring back traditional FF jobs, such as Black Mage, White Mage, Thief, and so on.  Eventually they brought them back and I think everyone is happy they did.

However, I am somewhat bummed about the class system and how it is used to unlock jobs.  Some of them make sense, like Paladin is Gladiator and Conjurer.  But then there is Black Mage which is Thaumaturge and Pugilist.  What does hand to hand fighting have to do with a glass cannon magic user?

It is not a deal breaker by any means and I like that the Jobs are something you to work for,  I guess some of the combinations seem a little off.  Just a random thought.

Also, at what level does a newly unlocked job start?

Comments

• ZayonZayon Member Posts: 13
    Your job mimics the level of the main class for it. Meaning a Paladin will always be the same level as Gladiator. So assuming you do the quest for Paladin at level 30 your Paladin will begin at level 30.
  • rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117
    Originally posted by Zayon
    Your job mimics the level of the main class for it. Meaning a Paladin will always be the same level as Gladiator. So assuming you do the quest for Paladin at level 30 your Paladin will begin at level 30.

Ah thank you.  So then Paladin is not something to level separately then?  It will always just be the same level as Glad?

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by rhavok
    Originally posted by Zayon

Ah thank you.  So then Paladin is not something to level separately then?  It will always just be the same level as Glad?

Yes, it is an extension of Gladiator.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ZayonZayon Member Posts: 13
    Yep, no matter if you play GLD or PLD they will both earn experience towards the same goal and be the same level.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    So to be a Black Mage I need to have both required classes to 30?
  • striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Margrave
    So to be a Black Mage I need to have both required classes to 30?

THM at 30, the other class at 15

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Thanks!
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Im confused.  How does any of this thread address the OP concern that a black mage draws some abilities from pugilist?  It does seem odd.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Where it's this class mapping? It's not obvious on the main site.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Kuppa

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/wiki/Category:Jobs

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117
    Originally posted by svann
    Im confused.  How does any of this thread address the OP concern that a black mage draws some abilities from pugilist?  It does seem odd.

They are just answering the last question in my post.

I agree, it is odd.  I guess there are only so many combos you can use though and with a smaller number DoM classes you will have to borrow from the DoW classes.

Isn't that from 1.0?

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

As far as the Pugilist thing, it's just what they chose to give it some healing ability without giving it abilities from Conjurer, because they didn't want Thamuaturge/Black Mage to be a healer again.  Pugilist had abilities such as Second Wind, which was a self heal, and Featherfoot, which was a buff that let you evade the next attack, and restores some MP when the buff was consumed or wore off.

The beta is currently not showing all of the correct info because right now I can only take abilities from one class, Archer.

Isn't that from 1.0?

Not sure about the other information but the class requirements look correct.

Originally posted by striderbob

Isn't that from 1.0?

Not sure about the other information but the class requirements look correct.

How would one know? There is no Archanist, Scholar or Summoner on that link.

• WKMitchellWKMitchell Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I was pretty sure BLM was Thm30/Archer15 not pugilist.  Beyond that I would expect them to switch that to Thm30/Arcanist15 when we get the new class in game as that would make the most sense to me as you can only pull 3 skills from Archer for BLM and it is questionable wether they will work for BLM do to tooltips(my memory vs a website that isn't quite right either and nobody really tested the skills with BLM).
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399

I agree, pugilist seems odd for a Black Mage. Maybe they'll switch it to Scholar when its released? Scholar is going to be the class of the Summoner right? Or is it the other way around. Scholar makes a lot more sense to me for Black Mage, IMO.

Also I couldnt help but notice how Archer isnt a secondary class for any job .... HATERS! image

Originally posted by Kayo83

I agree, pugilist seems odd for a Black Mage. Maybe they'll switch it to Scholar when its released? Scholar is going to be the class of the Summoner right? Or is it the other way around. Scholar makes a lot more sense to me for Black Mage, IMO.

Also I couldnt help but notice how Archer isnt a secondary class for any job .... HATERS! image

Arcanist is the class Summoner and Scholar are the jobs.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Isn't that from 1.0?

Yes but it shows you how the jobs work.  They are doing some reworking of classes/jobs in 2.0 but they will still work the same as displayed on this website.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

Isnt Bard require archer?

It's the primary, not secondary.

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399

Isnt it a 1:1 ratio on Class vs Jobs? Hmm ... well Arcanist sounds like a good match for Black Mage secondary anyway. Better than Pugilist at least.  Im assuming Conjurer will be the class of choice for Summoner?

When do they plan on releasing those classes/jobs?

Isnt it a 1:1 ratio on Class vs Jobs? Hmm ... well Arcanist sounds like a good match for Black Mage secondary anyway. Better than Pugilist at least.  Im assuming Conjurer will be the class of choice for Summoner?

Other classes will have more than one job eventually, Arcanist is just the first. No one knows yet what the secondary class will be for those jobs. If I had to guess I'd think that THM for Summoner since its DPS and CNJ for Scholar since it's a HoT healer.  They should be in at launch.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

Arcanist is the class, and summoner or scholar are the jobs of Arcanist. They will be released soon.