Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Division: The Division at E3 2013

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Tom Clancy's The Division is an MMO with a twist. We checked the game out at this year's E3 event. Read on for our full report!

Ubisoft raised eyebrows at this year’s E3, joining in on the slew of console MMO announcements at the show by introducing gamers and press alike to Tom Clancy’s The Division. The Division is an upcoming online third-person open world RPG (with an MMO twist) in development over at Ubisoft Massive (the fine folks who brought us World in Conflict).

Read more of Michael Bitton's The Division: The Division at E3 2013.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

This is one of the coolest games showcased at E3.  The integration with mobile, how they did it, is truly innovative.

I'm not really part of the PC master race, but I can't see shelling out 500 bones for a gimped piece of hardware and mediocre software service that require a subscription to play online games.  The first release of the console generation is never their best and worth waiting for the improvements.

Being Devil's advocate, I wouldn't want to shell out $2500 in order to play the game on a PC when I could pay $500 and get a console that is optimized for it already (and where the manufacturer is taking a hit and selling it to me at less than cost). Maybe that's outlandish, but if we're talking about a system that can run even a cryengine 3 game on high settings, you're looking at at least $1000 just for graphics card and processor. 

As far as hardware woes, ummmmmm yeah, those suck, but I'm sure that it will be better this time around because they always learn from their mistakes, HA! Make sure to make use of your warranty! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Personally, I just want it on the PC for the controls.  If the PS4 edition allowed M+KB hookup, I'd be okay with that.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

This is the only MMO I am stoked to play in the 2013-2014 lineups.

I agree with Bill too, this will be my first real Console experience. I am going to pickup the Xbox one for this since I am a Microsoft fan and there is not much difference hardware wise between the two system.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Personally, I just want it on the PC for the controls.  If the PS4 edition allowed M+KB hookup, I'd be okay with that.

Well, with the line-up of MMOs coming to PS4 I REALLY hope that M+KB support is going to be added to more games. Seems like a natural progression to me. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

This is one of the coolest games showcased at E3.  The integration with mobile, how they did it, is truly innovative.

I'm not really part of the PC master race, but I can't see shelling out 500 bones for a gimped piece of hardware and mediocre software service that require a subscription to play online games.  The first release of the console generation is never their best and worth waiting for the improvements.

Being Devil's advocate, I wouldn't want to shell out $2500 in order to play the game on a PC when I could pay $500 and get a console that is optimized for it already (and where the manufacturer is taking a hit and selling it to me at less than cost). Maybe that's outlandish, but if we're talking about a system that can run even a cryengine 3 game on high settings, you're looking at at least $1000 just for graphics card and processor. 

As far as hardware woes, ummmmmm yeah, those suck, but I'm sure that it will be better this time around because they always learn from their mistakes, HA! Make sure to make use of your warranty! 

Arguement kinda falls down because you don't have to spend $2500..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Well, no, you might not HAVE to. However, if you look at something like a Titan as a graphics card then you're talking well over $1000 alone. Add in a couple quad processors (like i7s) and you're talking about another $600-$800. 

Remember we're talking about running The Division on MAX settings on PC. I don't even know if a $2500 system would do it. Sure, I'm sure they could bring it to the PC with some gimped settings, but why? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a system that runs something like The Witcher 2 on Ultra settings that is below $2000. 

It could just boil down to art style and how they want their game displayed. Maybe they don't want the graphics to be dulled for lesser PCs. The market that could run it on PC would be super small, too (aboslutely no numbers to back that up). 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Except for the fact your argument is completely wrong.

I spent $983 on my computer 2years ago, and it still blows the PS4's stats out of the water by years to come. The PS4 is already 2years behind my 2year old $983 PC.

I haven't upgraded in those 2 years a single piece of my rigg, and I can play BF3 on Ultra settings with 60+FPS.

You know nothing John Snewwww

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Watching the video, you can see the clunkiness of the gamepad in action. Who would WANT to play this on a console with controls like that? Consoles should stick to sports games, and leave the rest to the PC.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Two negatives for me.

-not on PC

-Player looting

The game really got my attention but..................................

Well, no, you might not HAVE to. However, if you look at something like a Titan as a graphics card then you're talking well over $1000 alone. Add in a couple quad processors (like i7s) and you're talking about another $600-$800. 

Remember we're talking about running The Division on MAX settings on PC. I don't even know if a $2500 system would do it. Sure, I'm sure they could bring it to the PC with some gimped settings, but why? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a system that runs something like The Witcher 2 on Ultra settings that is below $2000. 

It could just boil down to art style and how they want their game displayed. Maybe they don't want the graphics to be dulled for lesser PCs. The market that could run it on PC would be super small, too (aboslutely no numbers to back that up). 

Where are you even getting these numbers? Have you not seen the hardware stats on the PS4, and then realize that the Division's Demo was done on a PC to make it look prettier than it will on the Ps4.

Take all of that into account, and the PC version (if any ever existed, ever) would far outperform whatever the PS4 can do. My $983 PC I built 2years ago would easily run the demo presentation they did that demo-video from.

I have a hard time believing you know anything about building or speccing out PC's sir.

A new $700 PC would easily run The Division just fine on High or Ultra with 40 to 60 fps.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

a) you dont need alot of players, since you have eve online running already

b) you seriously give a shit, and think that there is a niche not used so far, and that all those million users just wait for an mmo to be released for your syste,

yeeeeaaa... right, b) sounds completely logical eh? not having mmos for about 10 years, playing your little sport titles and action shooters... and all you wanted is an mmo... surely you didn't just get a pc by now and play your mmo there :P

how many subs does defiance have again? and how many of those are for the consoles?

seriously..... are those guys drunk?

i won't beg for sth that actually is the only right thing to do ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• AstrumNivalAstrumNival Member Posts: 19
    So every game with multiplayer..is called MMO now ?
    Originally posted by Thane

a) you dont need alot of players, since you have eve online running already

b) you seriously give a shit, and think that there is a niche not used so far, and that all those million users just wait for an mmo to be released for your syste,

yeeeeaaa... right, b) sounds completely logical eh? not having mmos for about 10 years, playing your little sport titles and action shooters... and all you wanted is an mmo... surely you didn't just get a pc by now and play your mmo there :P

how many subs does defiance have again? and how many of those are for the consoles?

seriously..... are those guys drunk?

i won't beg for sth that actually is the only right thing to do ^^

Defiance is a B2P game, and thus has no subscribers. I'd be interested to see what the current active player count is though as everyone I know whom even tried it gave up on it within the first month.

From what I know Defiance isn't doing well whatsoever, and they're worried about its future right now.

Originally posted by AstrumNival
    So every game with multiplayer..is called MMO now ?

No, but I'm hearing ya. 

This game specifically states that it's persistent, open-world + PvP. We'll have to wait and see what the first M represents. Shoot, if anyone can define what the first M actually represents I'd be impressed. Define in what constitutes "massive"

@BearKnight kudos, and I'll concede that argument. Completely just pulling $$ from the Goog so I have no idea what you COULD get a good HW setup for that would run it. If $700 would do it then, yes, sure, why not PC?

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I'm more than likely keeping my pc unless I can sell it for a profit (very plausible considering what I paid for it) never the less, after watching that trailer, i'm pretty stoked for this game. When I watched the trailer, I thought about what games I currently play. I just thought man the games I am playing now just suck compared to the Division and BF4. Can't wait to get my hands on this, it's definitely my cup of tea, now if I can just get my friends to all agree to buying the same platform - whether its pc, ps4, or xbox one (leaning toward ps4)
  • LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Well, with the line-up of MMOs coming to PS4 I REALLY hope that M+KB support is going to be added to more games. Seems like a natural progression to me. 

Exactly my thoughts!

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

i add to this.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Finally next gen mmo on pc, we have enough games with crappy graphic
  • WellusWellus Member Posts: 13
    They should do it on pc, i didn't liked any of those pvp with loot mmos, because they were just fantasy, sword bashing crap, kinda boring, most of mmos are fantasy and i mostly like modern, sci-fi, especially cyberpunk. This game is something new, there will be players, ofc not everyone will like pvp with loot, but look at EVE, they don't have problem with money. Btw all demos are made on pc, even the PS4 is with PC architecture and Linux, most of ppl can build their own cheap rigs, which can run those demos, my current rig(made it half year ago) was made from parts for 300$, every game works perfectly and mostly on High, not Ultra but good enough for cheap rig, i will invest 300$-400$ and it will be enough to play any game on high.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I really need to hone my controller skills because this game looks bad ass.  I'm playing Need for Us on PS3 currently and my muscle memory and ability to control the reticule with accuracy has given me a lot of problems.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195
    *Signed petition*
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    The game remind me of freedom fighters, i cant wait until this comeout.
  • EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Oh yeah and watch dogs look so badass.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I can build a PC for under $700 that'll run any game available today on max settings, and this same PC will be upgradeable for the next 5 years.

Back on topic. I really want to play this game, but I also really don't want to buy a console when I have a perfectly good PC to use.

Joined - July 2004

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by remyburke

I can build a PC for under $700 that'll run any game available today on max settings, and this same PC will be upgradeable for the next 5 years.

Back on topic. I really want to play this game, but I also really don't want to buy a console when I have a perfectly good PC to use.

We all can get our hands on an e-machine that can 'run' any game today on max setting.

But you are kidding yourself with $700 if you want quality...unless you are only talking about MMOs