Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Duty Finder

2»

Comments

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

Dungeon Finder is one of the best features every mmorpg should have. It connects people and makes teams possible cross-server. You can't search for ppl on other servers, when yours is empy, can you?

If you dont want to use it, then go ahead and look for members yourself, it's an optional feature.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Think you also have to remember that FF XIV ARR is a pretty heavy group oriented game, like the games of old. So, having a feature that allows people to quickly hop into a group and do something is pretty important for making the game playable for those who log on for an hour or two to do something. Nothing worse than getting roadblocked by some group content and struggling to find a group for it (this is even more pronounced once a game is older too).

Like you, I tried the WoW cross-server dungeon finder and found it a soulless experience. But that is the fault of the people participating and not the finder itself. Yes it adds further anonymity giving people even less reason to even speak to each other, but this is pretty much the same position as playing with people on your own server in many MMOs these days. The social aspect is largely gone.

That said, I had a couple of experiences with the WoW dungeon finder where we stayed together as a cross-server party all night just running together, chatting and having a laugh.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Actually I think this tool is more needed in this game because of the requirements of basic job at higher levels. You need 30 levels of archer or gladiator and a gaziilion others are running about wanting to group as those as well if this feature did not exist you would be up the creek without a paddle. So this way you can train to your white mage or bard with less stress and begging.
    Chamber of Chains
  • rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    It's the number one thing that kills a community in an mmo. People will now just sit in cities waiting for a dungeon to pop.

Ridiculous.

Free companies and the housing system will ensure a strong community between players on the same server.  What you and the OP fail to recognize is the Duty Finder is just a tool to run a standard dungeon in a timely manner.  People who will be using that feature aren't there to chat it up.

• tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I agree with OP. I dislike group finders that automatically take people to the desired instance. Instanced dungeons already make the world feel less populated, and this only compounds the problem. 
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Group finders have made MMOs much more enjoyable for me. I had left both SWTOR and GW2 but when group finder and lfg.com came out I got back into them for quite a while.

MMOs inherently separate people by levels and content tiers. In this day and age its next to impossible to maintain equal progression with your peers in real-life or in a guild. The number of solo players is also much higher. The games that allow these people to easily access content keep players for a lot longer.

Group finders solve way more problems than they create and are now an industry standard. I get that people like to feel 'special' because they can access content that solos or less-organized people cannot, but that era is gone in a world where retaining players is the number one goal.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Create a guild that is opposed to using the duty finder, and only do runs with your friends.

Should be easy to find 8-9 people who feel the same as you.

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

If any game needs a DF, it is this one. The reason is because once you hit 15 you will find that in order to progress the main story. You will have to run dungeons no way around that dungeons are tied to the  main story line, trust me without a DF FF 14 would lose players faster than SWTOR did. No one wants to be doing a main story line and than hit a brick wall because they cannot get a group that's associated with it, and no one wants to be sitting in town or at a dungeon entrance spamming LFG just to progress the story. I almost wrote the game off when I got to that part, since I felt that there no point to playing after experiencing all that awesome story.

Only to have my progressed walled off behind a group dungeon, however I have played FF since the very first game and realize that they are based around parties even if they are sprgs. However without a DF tool a lot of players would be turned off by this aspect of the game.It is good to have options, like people have mentioned before, those that do not like the tool do not have to use it. Nothing is stopping them from getting groups the old way. Those people that are so against DFs are just selfish players that I wouldn't want to play with to begin with anyway.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    The only people against dungeon finders are the elitists who think it should take all day to find a pug for an instance ala FFXI. Really people, move into the 21st century

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Its high on my list of required features... shouting 2 hours in general chat to get a group is not my idea of fun, and has nothing to do with community building.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Its high on my list of required features... shouting 2 hours in general chat to get a group is not my idea of fun, and has nothing to do with community building.

And thats what everyone is doing right now, spending hours shouting in the zone for xxxx dungeon instance. Thats why we need dungeon finders. As a poster above mentioned, if they did not include it, the game would sink after month one as the masses get frustrated by being halted.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

Personally, I do not want a dungeon finder tool in the game. I am actually really really excited right now, that this may be the game that finally has some type of decent server community. 

If someone is trolling your group, it's very easy to blacklist them from your party, put them on ignore, and inform your server about it, so they don't get into anymore groups. It definitely makes people think about their actions on their server, knowing if they screw around too much, they know the entire server will eventually blacklist them. 

Granted, I do not like spending hours on end looking for a group for a dungeon, but I do prefer looking for a group, as opposed to the dungeon finder.

Originally posted by itsTort

Personally, I do not want a dungeon finder tool in the game. I am actually really really excited right now, that this may be the game that finally has some type of decent server community. 

If someone is trolling your group, it's very easy to blacklist them from your party, put them on ignore, and inform your server about it, so they don't get into anymore groups. It definitely makes people think about their actions on their server, knowing if they screw around too much, they know the entire server will eventually blacklist them. 

Granted, I do not like spending hours on end looking for a group for a dungeon, but I do prefer looking for a group, as opposed to the dungeon finder.

Technically you are looking for a group with dungeon finder, minus the all day saturday shouting for a group

PS3

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

This is a nice option to have when people within your local circle nor other random people on your own server aren't available/willing to do the content you're trying to do.  The duty finder works cross server, so rather than shouting for an hour for a healer (which has happened so far), the duty finder should be able to find you one from another server much more quickly.

Also, I think this is only going to work for the leveling dungeons (i.e. nothing endgame related) and guildhests, so I don't think this system will ruin Free Companies, like it seemed to do for a lot of guilds in WoW.

Originally posted by nbtscan

This is a nice option to have when people within your local circle nor other random people on your own server aren't available/willing to do the content you're trying to do.  The duty finder works cross server, so rather than shouting for an hour for a healer (which has happened so far), the duty finder should be able to find you one from another server much more quickly.

Also, I think this is only going to work for the leveling dungeons (i.e. nothing endgame related) and guildhests, so I don't think this system will ruin Free Companies, like it seemed to do for a lot of guilds in WoW.

I hope they allow it for endgame content. If endgame is anything like XI the game definately needs it as finding a group that runs at a time you can is hard/impossible.

PS3

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

Technically you are looking for a group with dungeon finder, minus the all day saturday shouting for a group

Incorrect, technically, I am queued into a lobby, silently awaiting for a queue to pop, so I can instantly get ported to a dungeon, rather than having to actually talk to my server community, to see who wants to group up, then we get to make our way over to the dungeon on foot, fighting things along the way, and thus giving the world it's feel back.

Like I said, I prefer looking for a group, rather than queuing. Quyeing, to me, ruins the immersion of the game. I miss the days of trying to find a party to go do something, then going in as a group. The whole dungeon finder thing just makes people really anti-social for some reason.

Incorrect, technically, I am queued into a lobby, silently awaiting for a queue to pop, so I can instantly get ported to a dungeon, rather than having to actually talk to my server community, to see who wants to group up, then we get to make our way over to the dungeon on foot, fighting things along the way, and thus giving the world it's feel back.

Like I said, I prefer looking for a group, rather than queuing. Quyeing, to me, ruins the immersion of the game. I miss the days of trying to find a party to go do something, then going in as a group. The whole dungeon finder thing just makes people really anti-social for some reason.

Weii I wish you luck, I think you will find few who do it that way anymore.

PS3

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

I feel the same way Ehllfhire, Dev's/Studios work so hard on making such a beautiful game world to explore, only to be trumped by a DF.  Not to mention DF's can promote the insta-gratification attitude. witch honestly after playing many mmos, and reflecting back on FF11(My first MMO). I miss earning my loot, it just felt much more rewarding.

Dont get me wrong I like to use a DF  IF Im short on time and JUST feel like doing a few dungeons or something along those lines. Plus as a family man, sometimes I dont have time to go on the grand adventures {grins}. 

it only takes one to change the world so to speak :)

Originally posted by zaylin

I feel the same way Ehllfhire, Dev's/Studios work so hard on making such a beautiful game world to explore, only to be trumped by a DF.  Not to mention DF's can promote the insta-gratification attitude. witch honestly after playing many mmos, and reflecting back on FF11(My first MMO). I miss earning my loot, it just felt much more rewarding.

Dont get me wrong I like to use a DF  IF Im short on time and JUST feel like doing a few dungeons or something along those lines. Plus as a family man, sometimes I dont have time to go on the grand adventures {grins}. 

it only takes one to change the world so to speak :)

I wouldnt call a need for daily progress as instant gratification. Why cant my 13 dollars a month go towards me progressing, rather than standing around praying I get a group. This is why duty finder is needed. Most mmo players don't have the time to take two hours to form a group up, I know I dont.

PS3