Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What do you think of GW2s end game?

Comments

• deveilbladdeveilblad Saint-Constant, QCPosts: 177Member
    Originally posted by Maelzrael

I absolutely love Guild Wars 2 as a whole.. its in the top 3 best games I've ever played for sure..

With that said, the endgame in gw2 is so ungodly boring that I can hardly bring my self to log in anymore after about 1000 hours played. Each new content patch that adds some achievements, some story, and some vanity items.. does not cut it for content that makes you WANT to log in an play. Until they add a real endgame progression and change the loot system to make people actually WANT to kill bosses in dungeons.. I can't say I'll be doing much more then Tournaments (love the pvp in gw2) and WvW.

The Token System in the dungeons would have worked fine if the bosses also had a chance to drop set pieces from the set that you get from tokens. The only loot off bosses system kind of sucks because you have to kill the same boss 800 times to get those damn boots (hello WoW) and the Token system sucks because you have to run the dungeon 18 times to get 3 pieces of the set. Combining the two systems however would have made the dungeons in Gw2 a lot more fun.. and it would have kept players from COF P1 Spamming all the time.

They need to add 10-20 man instanced raid content with a combination of both systems if they want to get players to stick around. Players who say they don't want a gear grind in Gw2 because they have that in ever other game.. don't even stop to think about the fact that if you want a good visual set in Gw2 you have to grind the same dungeon about 40 times to get the whole set. I'd call that a boring ass gear grind if I've ever seen one.

But I digress.. This shall fall upon deaf ears anyways..

Also they made it sound like Housing in gw2 was gonna be badass pre-launch.. then it turned out to be a horrible joke.. (off topic I guess but look at Wildstar for an example of what good endgame housing systems can be like.).

So you paid 60$ for 1000 hours of gameplay, that's an insanely good deal if you ask me. Why are you asking for more/better FREE updates ? I hate freeloaders with my whole heart...

• tyrlaantyrlaan Union, NJPosts: 17Member

Anyone complaining about the lack of endgame in this thread has also demonstrated they've already gotten their money's worth in spades out of this game.

I don't understand such folks really. It's not a subscription game. You pay once and that's it, unless you go for some microtransactions. ANet expects your money upfront and perhaps some along the journey, but they're business model for this game in no way lends itself to constant content patches to extend end game. In short, why would the spend dev resources on keeping level 80s around? They already have your money.

And on the flip side, this should be really easy to process to folks playing the game. If I go out and buy Mass Effect 3 for $60, do I throw a fit when I finish the game and there's nothing else to do? Do I even get 1000 hours out of it? The fundamental problem is people are assuming MMO has to mean "spend the rest of your life playing it" when that's just not how this game is built. 

Manage your expectations and suddenly the nerd rage dies out.

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

I really don't care.  At least, unlike with WoW, I know I'm playing the game because I enjoy the gameplay and the company of friends, and not because I'm tempted by the small odds I'll win some kind of super-gear in a raid I really don't even want to be in, simply because I'll sparkle more while I stand around town.  GW2 may not have the best end game, and I find myself wanting more of a feeling of power when you visit lower level areas, but it's also the most honest MMO I've played so far.

They just need to add more incentive to visit areas like Southsun cove, because I was there for the first time yesterday (yes, I know I missed its grand opening by quite a few months now), and it was pretty empty.  Adult Karkas are not really meant to be solo'd.  Then again, it was like 2 in the morning.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    If you think about it like that, your not going to enjoy GW2.  Im 80, and I dont constantly think about improving my gear, I think about going out and Doing stuff, and in the process guess what my gear improves.  This is one of those few games that you could literally just get lost in and enjoy it.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

• rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon
    I think the endgame is just fine.  I guess I am one of the many in ANet's target audience.   It's nice to finally have a game that fits my play style.  If  raiding is your idea of endgame then something tells me you will have no problem in finding that mechanic in the millions of other WoW clone MMOs.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rodingo
    I think the endgame is just fine.  I guess I am one of the many in ANet's target audience.   It's nice to finally have a game that fits my play style.  If  raiding is your idea of endgame then something tells me you will have no problem in finding that mechanic in the millions of other WoW clone MMOs.

what is the endgame?

• PWN_FACEPWN_FACE SeoulPosts: 670Member

I'm enjoying GW2 the way it is. I don't want to see a gear treadmill added.  

PvP and WvW are fun for me. I can also find other stuff to do if I don't feel like that. 

• kyssarikyssari Tipton, IAPosts: 142Member
    GW2 endgame is PVP and grinding for fashion to dress up your toons, its definitely not for everyone lol
  • DestaiDestai Detroit, MIPosts: 574Member

After 500+ of gameplay, I don't think much of it. Most of those hours were spent exploring the open world and working towards a dungeon achievement. I guess the game doesn't really explain much of what to do once you're 80. And with ArenaNet outright stubbornness in any permanent meaningful end game, it doesn't seem like it will improve soon. We've got 8 dungeons. Hell, Rift has more than that. We've yet to get basic functionality like a LFG tool and the group PVE content is limited to 5 man dungeons or open world events. 

The game could really benefit from some raids, even without gear progression, and some basic tools to help players get together. The dynamic event system is stillborn - I've no reason to go through more than half of the zones. It doesn't tie into any advancement and as a result, no players are flocking to them. The living story is further proof ArenaNet is still deciding on what they actually want their game to be. Personally, I think it's wasteful to have drops of content like the Living Story events. The dungeons are so well done, but then disappear from the game world. There's rumor they might be reborn as fractals - but those are not fun whatsoever, at least to me. 

My problem with the game is that there is too much left undone at this point. It needs time to mature and ArenaNet needs time to settle on what exactly their vision is. Until then, I'm not spending any more money in the shop and my playing time is reduced; I've no reason to log in right now. 

• rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by rodingo

what is the endgame?

For me and others like me who PvP, it's WvW and sPvP.   What other end game is there, raiding for gear?  Haha, no thanks. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,396Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maelzrael

With that said, the endgame in gw2 is so ungodly boring that I can hardly bring my self to log in anymore after about 1000 hours played.

GW2 has been out for exactly 300 days now, so you've clocked more than three hours per day on average. For almost a year. If I played a single game that much, I'd be bored, too.

• AldersAlders Jack Burton'sPosts: 1,857Member Uncommon

PVE is severely lacking for guilds to do together and guild missions are not on par.  The 5-man content and the inability to form parties/groups any larger really annoyed the hell out of me.

I was initially against raiding but now see it as an important aspect for stability and giving guilds something to do.  I realized that the majority of my play time was spent grinding the same speed run dungeons and grinding mobs over and over for mats for another legendary while doing the dailies.  That's just not fun to me and i've been playing less and less.

I would love some content that i can get 10-20 people for and fight some tough bosses.  Call it raiding or give it another name but it's something missing that i forgot how much i enjoyed.

I really love everything about the game, except what i get to do at 80.

• TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member
    Originally posted by kyssari
    GW2 endgame is PVP and grinding for fashion to dress up your toons, its definitely not for everyone lol

It's not that different for raiding MMOs, people want to show off their epics to other people by trotting around with chin up "hey look at me I've raided same dungeon for 245 times I'm better then all you noobs"

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    GW2's Endgame is non-existent. 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member
    And the game feels better for it.
  • KinadoKinado lisbonPosts: 198Member

Me, I have too much free time, fortunely. Still, didn't have the patience to get a legendary which is or was an insane FARM.

Everything in this game is a huge farm. I even read in the chat once: " OMG I love this game, my favourite part is that I can actually farm with friends!" . All you can do is farm basically, there is no higher and long range goal, no sense of belonging.

The game is pretty epic specially when leveling up, after that there is no reason to keep going.

Arenanet is amazing with their constant updates though, too bad that their mentality for a MMO isn't what I'm looking for.

Carbine with Wildstar seem to have their head in the right place for a MMO, even though I don't plan to raid.

• SiugSiug TallinnPosts: 1,236Member Uncommon
    Is there end game in GW2 now? Tried even Mists but zerging around got boring very quickly.
  • NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Is there end game in GW2 now? Tried even Mists but zerging around got boring very quickly.

There are still the same long-term activities for lvl 80 players than there were at launch, the only addition since then would be the Guild Objectives. If that doesn't count as end game for you, then there still is no end game in GW2.

• MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Where the hell did you get 30g playing very casually?  You clearly hated the game to play enough to get the karma, dungeon tokens and pvp tokens....give me a break.

OP, the "endgame" I've found in the game is playing a bunch of alts.  There isn't much else out there that isn't a full loot pvp no pve crapfest or linear quest hub themepark suckage.  This is about the only option other than TSW, which you can finish in a couple months...no alts needed.

I play the game casually, EVE is my main game, I am not in a guild, I don't do dungeons.

I play alone in pugs spvp and WvW pvp.

I use a program called Temple and in a few hours of being online I get to a event, Jormag, Maw, Behemoth, Shatterer whatever and with the loot I get there (exotic/rares) I earn like 1g/day easily by selling it.

When I actually play the game for a few hours, like pvp I get same loot when having fun and I am up to 20g in 2w of casual play.

So yes, it can be done and no, you don't need to buy gems as a casual player.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Vladamyre

Some form of a treadmill is a good idea to a point. Wow based gear treadmills are bad, very bad. Player upgrade treadmills like Dark Age of Camelot's realm ranks were great, and GW2 dropped the ball when they didnt go with that flow, but instead went with a Wow like gear treadmill called fractals. I gave my input on fractals, I told them to remove them before Christmas, or I would be getting a refund.

What an odd post. It makes me wonder if you've played the game at all to be honest. Getting ascended rings (and only rings) in Fractals is of no resemblance to a WoW styled treadmill. You can get rings with slightly better stats than exotics. Period. And if you don't want to do Fractals you can do your dailies and get the rings that way.  WvW in GW2 does have ranks now which you can use to unlock WvW specific skills in addition to getting titles the other servers can see. 

I'll give you credit though... your last sentence made me giggle.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Ellicott City, MDPosts: 157Member
    level to 80 and move on

gameplay > graphics

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,098Member Uncommon

So far it has kept me interested.

Which is saying something since most MMOs can't even keep me interested enough to get to end game.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• tomis16tomis16 Buenos AiresPosts: 9Member

I bought GW2 in November, and kept playing it till late april, when I left for two reason's: Lack of time, and because I also hit 80 in my main.

In my opinion, the End-game is casually oriented. You can do some dungeons, but you are not obliged to grind them. You can do som sPvP which is fun, but then it gets boring with the same 4 maps. You can do some WvW, this is something that i liked a lot at first, but then i realized that it was nothing but zerg-groups running against more zerg-groups. That's not fun. I find little if something strategy in that.  My point is, you can do loads of things, but you don't get a "end-game progression" at all. You just play till you get bored. I did that, had fun, and then left. Were my sixty bucks worth it? Well, I have more than 250 hours in it, and had plenty of fun in those hours, so yeah, it was worth it. Plus they continue to upgrade the game, and I can jump in from time to time to check the things out. I started playing again last week since the Dragon-bash event. The Dragon Ball arena is PLENTY of fun to me. At least for now. Also looking forward to checking the balance patch. I want to see how that affects my thieft.

My problem and why I didn't get really trapped by the game, except for the lore, which is kind of cool to me, is because when i finally got to 80 with my first char, I felt the same that being lvl 40. The scale sistem is major mistake for hardcore players, because it provides no satisfaction at all at being 80.

Another thing I didn't liked is that you practically look the same for what, 60 lvls? You don't have a sense of progression either by looking the gear (I'm not even talking about stats here). You have to play dozens of levels with the same looking armor. Yeah, you can die it, but I want better armors as a sign of beign Higher level that those that are just beggining the game. It's a sign of status. But no, they removed this. So, what I look forward to while leveling? Since most of things can be done from level 1, not much. Sure, the trip to 80 was cool, I enjoyed it, but I think that GW2 lacks something to keep you playing, and lacks a sense of being stronger at lvl 80.

Just my two cents. I keep playing very casually, but I'm looking for a new MMO right now. Shame, It had potential. Love'd the world.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon

Unless your a spvp tourny champ, full best in slot gear, gotten a legendary weapon, have done every dungeon, 100% world completion, maxed out all craftings, finished the storylines, and seen every dynamic event, or dominate WvW for your server, do not tell me this game has nothing to do at level 80.  

Seriously, theres a ton to do in this game.  Lets break out of the moar dungeons = more content mindset because that's an awful one and should only be saved for degenerate WoW clones.   

Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

• PiechunksPiechunks ProvincePosts: 136Member
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Unless your a spvp tourny champ, full best in slot gear, gotten a legendary weapon, have done every dungeon, 100% world completion, maxed out all craftings, finished the storylines, and seen every dynamic event, or dominate WvW for your server, do not tell me this game has nothing to do at level 80.  

Seriously, theres a ton to do in this game.  Lets break out of the moar dungeons = more content mindset because that's an awful one and should only be saved for degenerate WoW clones.   

Not the point of this thread at all. A lot of people gave a lot of good responses, particularly how the end game does not progress the actual power of your character, but just aesthetics.

The problem with what you mentioned is that it's completion for the sake of completion and not progression. You will be decked out in exotics by the time you're anywhere near 60% completion, so that 40% remaining (besides the luck in WvW required for it)  is just tedium and not challenging.

Completion for the sake of completion and nothing else is "achievement".