Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just DPS

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

What classes (I think I'm using the wrong term) can I look forward to playing that are pure DPS?

Thanks!

Comments

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Pugilist, Lancer and Thurmatage. you could say archer but its advanced class is the bard...so meh.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Thank you.  Looked up all three and they all seem interesting.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Also Arcanist and Summoner.

Though these haven't been released in the game yet, and should be in by launch.

So basically it's what city you want to start in:

Pugilist (Monk) / THM (Black mage) - Ul'dah (Desert city with a focus on a greedy society that puts gil above all else)

Arcanist (Summoner) - Limsa (Sea port with a focus on pirates and sea men who may not like land lubbers)

Lancer (Dragoon) - Gridania (Forest city with people distrusting of outsiders and who speak to forest spirits)

They all play differently, so if you don't like one just tough it out to level 10 to unlock the armory system and try another class.  You will also have access to the abilities of the class you just leveled to be used by the new class.  The game also kind've starts off slow and traditional, but a lot of people start getting hooked after the armory is unlocked as well as crafting and behest and such.  Especially at level 15 when they completed the level 15 quest and unlock airships and dungeons and the like.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Which offers the most stationary gameplay?  I'm not a huge fan of running around during combat...
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'd have to say the THM / Black mage is the most stationary in terms of DPS.  The Arcanist may also be when we have access to it.

This is because they have to stay still to cast their most powerful spells whereas melee and other range are able to strife when attacking.  They also have an ice spell that slows enemies.

Classes like the Pugilist have to stay behind the target to maximize their damage.  It's kind've stationary in that light, but may still require one to position themselves again if the enemy moves.  Some of their abilities are just more powerful when they attack from the sides or the back.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Is there a need to strafe in PvE?  I don't PvP very often.
  • itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by Vigg
    Is there a need to strafe in PvE?  I don't PvP very often.

Of course there is. You need to strafe in any MMO whether it be PVP or PVE. can't just stand in one spot the entire time, and soak up all those cone or AOE attacks, sometimes you need to move slightly to the left or right, forward/backward to make sure you're not taking unnecessary damage.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Iv played all those DPS classes, i think it vary's depending on the fight.

though my experience on the lancer(22 and 33 lancer) heavily out weights the pugilist(2 level 8s) and the thurmatage(played my GF's briefly...)

if you're in a position to just spam cast, thurmatage would be the way, but if you get attacked by multiple mobs looks like you will need to cast sleep and kite/reposition. for group/boss fighting, you should just be able to stand still on most fights and spam, bar the occasional moving for red stuff on the ground etc.

Melee solo you dont need to move around somuch, since the mobs are always facing you outside of your stun you can get off positionals so you just sit there and tank them using your combo moves. However on boss and group fighting you may want to move around alittle for flanking or chasing the boss as it needs to be moved. However most of the time on the lancer you can just stay on its flank, as of level 33, backstabbing is less DPS than the combo move that can be used anywhere and does not suffer the penalty of that sometimes you will miss a backstop extra potency because of a mob moving.

archer is obviously also range, but it does not need to cast, its much easier to kite.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by skyexile

Melee solo you dont need to move around somuch, since the mobs are always facing you outside of your stun you can get off positionals so you just sit there and tank them using your combo moves. 

You can still get off positional attacks solo, they don't turn immediately, so it is possible to get behind or flank them and attack before they turn to face you.

• booskAbooskA Member UncommonPosts: 79

You are going to want to develop a healer or tank class as well, or be prepared to get frustrated because you cannot get a group or level.

Originally posted by booskA

You are going to want to develop a healer or tank class as well, or be prepared to get frustrated because you cannot get a group or level.

Grouping doesn't follow the holy trinity and require DPS, too?  I understand that it's easier in most games to find a group as a healer or tank.

Also, can you not efficiently level as DPS?

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

Grouping doesn't follow the holy trinity and require DPS, too?  I understand that it's easier in most games to find a group as a healer or tank.

What BooskA is saying just like every other game DPS will be waiting in queues for a long time just because there will be thousands of players out there like you who will want to only DPS and not take a support role on.  So you will have to take a number just like the rest of the people.  The Key to wanting to just DPS is find yourself a group of friends who you can jump in with just about all the time as DPS.  You might need to do some what of a support role as a DPS like as a Black Mage you might have to CC targets before DPSing, however that is just knowing your class and what your role in the party will be.  

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by booskA You are going to want to develop a healer or tank class as well, or be prepared to get frustrated because you cannot get a group or level.  

Well, first off, there are a few things different here from ~most~ MMOs

There is DPS, but there is very little Pure DPS. Most all DPS classes come with some sort of utility function - be it buffs for the party, debuffs on the mobs, or something else. Soloing, you won't see much of this come into play (except Thaumaturge, which has a lot of resource management at it's core)- but in a group setting it will really come to shine, as your DPS isn't the only contribution to the group. You can see this in many classes Combo system - it really tries to break away from a route rotation and make it a bit more dynamic.

Secondly, in this game, like in FFXI and a few other games, every character has access to every class, and each character can do cross-class abilities for those classes they have leveled. That doesn't mean that you have to play every class, but it means that you have access to a vast array of "builds". This includes crafting and gathering, which are considered classes as well.

Third are "jobs", which are slightly different than classes. These are the advanced classes which get unlocked via a combination of two support classes sufficiently leveled, and then a follow-on quest. Examples of which are the Paladin, the Bard, the White Mage, etc.

A least of which - there are many ways to level. There are class-specific quests (every 5 levels roughly). There are achievements/hunting logs for each class. There are the zone/area quest lines. There is straight up grinding if you want. There are leves (initiated dynamic quests). There are dungeons (L15+ classes). There are Fates (dynamic zone events). And there's the main story line, which starts in whatever your starting city is. And there's probably 10 more ways I forgot to mention here. Even if you never wanted to be completely pacifist and never harm a soul, there are ways to level (crafting and gathering especially, and probably could do it as a conjurer too with a buddy). So can you level efficiently as a DPS? Sure. But you can level lots of ways, so DPS, and adherence to the holy trinity, isn't the end all beat all in ARR.

To close: it isn't necessarily a race to the top. Progression occurs more horizontally - the more classes you have leveled up, the more deep your character is. If you just take one class and race to max level, sure, you'll be max level, but you'll be missing out on a lot of synergistic cross-class abilities, probably 1/4 of the quest lines and maps, and it won't be a very fulfilling experience. I don't think the developers intend for each player to level each class to max in order to be competitive (that would be a lot of leveling), but I think they do expect you to have a couple of fall back support classes leveled up moderately in order to discover the synergy.

• EnsiferEnsifer Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Isn't Marauder / Warrior also considered a DPS class if they so wish to just DPS?
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Ensifer
    Isn't Marauder / Warrior also considered a DPS class if they so wish to just DPS?

I think Warrior is considered a tank Job

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• booskAbooskA Member UncommonPosts: 79

Yes, but an overwhelming majority of players think that, too. Basically, DPS are a dime a dozen and usually are the ones forming groups among themselves, looking for a good tank and healer. Because both people in those roles have to be accomplished to complete even the newbie dungeon.