Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone recommend a USB wirless adaptor?

KilawuaKilawua Member Posts: 52
I need a wireless adaptor. :P I need it to be USB also, I don't know how to install one myself, and preferably it would be cheap. Thanks.  ^_^

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I highly recommend getting a WiFi bridge rather than a USB adapter.

It has the following benefits:
    * Uses your ethernet port, rather than a USB port (freeing up the USB port for other stuff)
    * Requires no additional drivers
    * Set it up once, works with ~any~ device with ethernet (computer, laptop, XBox, TV, toaster, etc)
    * Can be used in addition to a hub/switch to give several devices WiFi access over a single bridge

They are a bit more expensive than a USB adapter, but seeing as how they work with anything, and one can give an entire room full of hardware WiFi access, they are well worth it.

Something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704048

I've not tried that particular one, I have a very old Linksys G that I've been using for around 5 years now (they don't make them anylonger).

If you are still set on the USB adapter:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2970RU2161
    Can't get much cheaper than that, but your mileage may vary - that's very off brand, and driver support even for big dollar name brand adapters is very spotty to say the least.

• KilawuaKilawua Member Posts: 52
    Is the WiFi Bridge relevantly easy to set up? I'm looking at it and it's got a couple parts. :P Haha
  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    I had a USB wireless adapter once, used it for a bout 3 days and stopped. I had VERY slow connection speeds and everything I did whether it be playing games or surfing the web, it'll load things really slow.
  • MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166
    I have Tp- LInk Model TLWN727N is is really cheap and dont have any problem for now i play HC Diablo 3 no lag or disconnection

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Why do you need a wireless adapter?

If you can't run a wire, I'm assuming you are too far from the modem and it would be a major construction project in the home to run one.  Wireless has many issues with interference.  Microwave ovens, cellular phones, and cordless phones are going to ruin your gaming experience if you use wireless.  

If at all possible, use power-line ethernet adapters before you use wireless.  I bought a pair at a Staples for $60 and they worked well for me.  They added about 10 milliseconds to my ping to the  to my modem as opposed to being wired, but they were much better than being on wireless.  They are easy to set up, too.  Just plug them in and they work.

If for some reason, a power-line ethernet adapter isn't an option, just make sure your wireless adapter has a real antenna.  The micro-adapters are convenient, but only for their size.  Performance is horrible without an antenna.  Also, the better you can position the antenna will help the signal greatly.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Kilawua
    Is the WiFi Bridge relevantly easy to set up? I'm looking at it and it's got a couple parts. :P Haha

First off - a few people have said If you can run a wire, run a wire - with which I agree. CAT5e will be miles better than anything else. I understand not everyone can do that though, especially renters or dorm residents.

I have used Powerline Ethernet before - there are caveats with that. It can work very well, but it's a bit pricey. The signal won't go through UPSes or surge protectors, and really degrades if the two units are on different circuits (if it has to jump through circuit breakers). GFI circuits (bathroom/kitchen/outdoor outlets usually, sometimes in other places) in the path can cause problems. It can be better than WiFi, but not always.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704164 I haven't tried this one, it was one of the least expensive sets - most are around $60+.

Second off - bridge setup: They set up very similarly to a router. They have an internal web page you go to, you just tell them to Bridge (many of them can act as Base stations, access points, repeaters, range extenders, or routers as well, but the Bridge function is what you want them for in this case), and you just put in your wireless info (SSID, password, that's pretty much it), and they are setup. Usually they will come with some sort of setup program to help set it up for the first time if you aren't an expert at going directly to the device with http: Not a big deal, and you only have to do it once (unless you change your WiFi setup). After that everything just works over normal ethernet - the bridge takes care of all the WiFi stuff. They are about the size of a paperback book or small portable hard drive, and some units have detachable antenna (those are nice - you can upgrade them with high power or directional antenna later on if needed, but otherwise it's just simple screw-on antenna, no harder than a soda cap).

I always set mine up with a static IP, and then write that IP on a sticker on the device. Then if I need to change the configuration, I just type in that IP in a web browser and your there - don't need the setup program each time.