Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm a composer and this is my idea for combat music. What do you think?

Hi, this is my first post here, just trying to get some opinions. How would you feel if this was playing in your 500 player battle? The first part is the combat music and the second part quiets down a bit. https://www.box.com/s/fewzobnbk36ega7oyrzc

Comments

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

That is some epic combat music. 2 thumbs up!!

maybe someone from CU's audio department outta contact u!!

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Actually is pretty good, even though I tend to not enjoy combat music because it tends to turn off the zone music I was jamming to, ;D in games where zone music is awesome that is.  Maybe for boss fights I wouldn't mind so much, but for normal mob combat, I like zone music just fine.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Sounds great!

Two things.

One. The vocal are great, but I think if that plays loud it may drown out the ingame combat sounds or team chat.

Two. It needs to be longer, and especially longer with the war drums. Not many composers get the drums right, you hit spot on in my opinion.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    It's very epic. It reminds me a bit of JRPG boss fights. Not a regular boss, but the big bad end guy that looks like a cancerous jellyfish.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

First off, Welcome to the boards :)

The music was good combat music, in my opinion. The drums especially were very good.

The length of it may be in question, depending on the kind of game. Most games have short fights, which this works well for. If a game has longer fights, or a boss-type fight, that would be repeating quite a bit during one fight :)

Thanks for sharing :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

On a side note.

Have you ever thought of doing anything with French horns or Vienna horns. Something like a clarion call at the end/start of a battle, . Or an over the ramparts, thru the breach call.

I seriously love the absolute pure sound of that familys brass.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    I would love to hear that during an epic fight. Awesome music :D

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• reap3rzxreap3rzx Member Posts: 41
    Combat music is something I definitely want to see done right in CU. DAoC is the only game where I can remember the combat music because of it's epicness. Yours definitely catch that feel, which I like. For me personally, I don't like the chorus vocals and would rather have like some brass insturments in there, but that's just opinion. Very well put together though, and I'd like to hear that in game!
  • FruxyFruxy Member Posts: 32

This could fit in any game, really.

I'd be more impressed if a fantasy game had a virtual "live" band that would get fainter when further away.  And occasionally have mistakes.  Randomly, instead of perfect songs repeated.

Like a live band with heavy drum support.  The battlefield would be dirty, smoke filled, and stinky, but your factions drums could still be heard, off in the distance, depending how far you are.

The composition is well done though.  It inspires a sense of "NOW" and "DANGER". /tiphat

Camalot Unchained is going to be a niche game (excuse my assumptions), possibly lackluster.  So, to wrap up this post, that song can serve any game, and your talents are there for all to see.  Cheers!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

excellent.

i do wonder if the choral approach is optimum for one on one combat which most experience ingame. i could be off on that, im sure others will be sure to point that out, this is after all mmorpg.com

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Dude, you should be in the industry for epic music. This is awesome! Someone in the MMO genre should hire you immediately! 

However, I don't think it fits a 500 person battle. It fits more with an epic final boss of a main storyline of a game more than anything.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I liked it.  The drums could build a little more.  I loved the transition around 40 seconds in.  I thought the triple horn blasts sounded rough.  I like the placement of the horn sound, but the actual quality of the sound seemed rough.  It's hard to explain what I mean; I hoped that made sense.

This was a great treat to see this post in these forums.  Bring more!

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Actually, sorry to disappoint, but I turn off all in game music, combat or otherwise as I prefer my own sound tracks.

In game sounds, now that is a different story.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Actually, sorry to disappoint, but I turn off all in game music, combat or otherwise as I prefer my own sound tracks.

In game sounds, now that is a different story.

That is entirely irrelevant. He asked if it sounded good, and might fit a 500 person battle. Whether you turn your music off in games or not, what does the actual music sound like to you? Does it fit the scenario? Would it fit another scenario better? Just what do you think of it in general?

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

It's nice, but to me sounds a bit... generic. It's very well put together, but nothing really makes it stand out. This tune could belong to any number of games and / or TV shows out there.

It's a good, solid start though.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by MaxCastillo

Hi, this is my first post here, just trying to get some opinions. How would you feel if this was playing in your 500 player battle? The first part is the combat music and the second part quiets down a bit. https://www.box.com/s/fewzobnbk36ega7oyrzc

hey there,

I'm also a composer as well (degree in composition) If Im guessing correctly you are going from 6/8 to 3/4 and repeating it until you get to the lyrical part where you you stay in 3/4. I like that. Mixes it up. I wonder if you might consider 5/4 in order to keep that sense of "what meter am I in?"

I think that the "end" of the lyrical phrase needs to definitively "end" or go to a different place (or are you looping it back to the start?) It's unclear.

the first bit of motivic material is a minor second then going down a major 2nd in the voices and then rising min 2nd to maj 2nd in the brass. (and then maj 2ndto min 2nd the second time around in the brass).

so essentially bits of a scale wise passage. You then get to the lyrical part but I'm unsure where that is going. Still scale wise until your first leap to a perfect 5th. This feels like an "event" only because the rest of your melodic material has been scale wise. However, I dont' feel the lyrical part goes anywhere after this first significant leap.

My guess is that you've heard Carmina Burana by Orff and I wonder if you have heard "mars the bringer of war" by Holst?

If not I would give those bits a listen. That might help you expand what you have.

Nice job, are you using garritan or something else?

Mars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I

Carmina Burana: (go to 1:25) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEllLECo4OM

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

OP that's really amazing.  I'd like to hear more, and hopefully someone in the industry hears this and gives you some work!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think that is pretty epic.  Definitely professional quality. 

As I listened, I was in a dogfight though, zipping through space around asteroids, blasting tie fighters.  I kicked ass, lol.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Do you have anything on iTunes that is longer for purchase? 

If so, link please...

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Its extremely competitive in this field.  Honestly most music in video games can be epic and much better than it is.  Like anything else, many of the samples they hear and receive all sound very similar and it comes down to bids, reputation, who you know ect.  I can't tell you how often the best samples fail to make it into games and other things for that matter as well.   Don't enter into any agreement or negotiation if you are not familiar with industry standards and contractual language.  Good luck and I wish you well in your pursuits.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

What did you use to make this?  Did you create the vocalization or is that part of the application?

Yes it is ideal combat music.  I hired 5 composers from my local community college and got nothing that sounded that good.  I told them I was looking for stuff that sounded John Williams like and I got..  Nothing as close as you made to Williams. 

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Decent music to be sure but I'm actually getting tired of music in mmos. Most turn it off as they get tired of hearing the same stuff over and over again. I would love to see a game where music is only heard ... when there are actually musicians playing it nearby.

I still can't wrap my head around why an invisible orchestra appears out of nowhere when combat breaks out. What would be far more intense is the lack of sound suddenly occurring as birds, insects and animals become quiet or flee because war suddenly broke out somewhere. Imagine exploring and hearing birds singing then suddenly they stop ... sort of makes you wonder "Wait ... why the f%$& did the birds stop singing?". The actual sounds of battle then become far more intense if not drowned out by pointless and meaningless music.

On the RP side of things music actually only heard when others play it (be it npc or players such as in lotro) would enhance the game and make music meaningful and an actual mechanics that brings players together.

You stay sassy!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Originally posted by Konfess

Yes it is ideal combat music.  I hired 5 composers from my local community college and got nothing that sounded that good.  I told them I was looking for stuff that sounded John Williams like and I got..

Well, I hate to sound elitist but my first thought is "community college". go to the nearest conservatory or contact someone in the top 10 conservatories in the country and see what they have.

Always ask for an example.

However, keep in mind that part of the problem is that if they don't have an orchestra (and they don't!) they will have to use synthesized sounds. And of course that depends on what they have available.

Look at your cheapest shows on tv and listen to the music. If it's "orchestrall" in nature you can see how it might fail in comparison than something done on a higher budget with better sounds or a "real" orchestra.

This is the garritan orchestra and it generally sounds decent. But it's just not going to replace a real orchestra.

http://www.garritan.com/

Secondly if the composers you hired don't understand what makes up John William's music, meaning, what his influences are, then it's going to be hard for them. Also keep in mind that mr. williams has "borrowed" from other composers. One notable example is in Star Wars where he lifts a portion of "The Rite of Spring". However, he is influenced by holst and dvorak among others.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Sounds great, would love to hear that playing as I'm killing people in pvp!

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.