Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't you think the combat is very dull?

124»

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I guess the part of the combat that irritates me at the low levels was that I pretty much have to tank every mob.  At least in EQ1 I could kite (fear or aggro) or root rot.  WoW destroyed kiting for the most part and forced everyone to stand stationary toe to toe with the mob...it wasn't fun in a solo situation.  I understand that there is more to the group combat game but I'm talking about solo combat.

I assume when you get to higher levels and have access to more powerful CC abilities things could get interesting.  As it stands the early level combat is dreadful.  I like to push the limits of soloing ability but when a game pretty much forces you to tank everything there isn't much you can do to push the limits.

Why can't you kite as a THM/ARC/BRD/BLM or even as a LNC/DRG/GLA/PLD?

They all have ranged abilities which is all you need to kite, many have snares/roots/slows to make it easier as well.  Personally I think Archer/Bard needs some adjustments as currently for mobs with no decent ranged attacks they are very overpowered through kiting (though honestly it doesn't matter as long as more meaningful encounters take it into consideration).

Are you kiting in circles within the leash range?  I'd be glad to give you some tips on how to kite if you explain what you are struggling with.

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

Can't say PvP has yet to be implemented, might be a whole different mechanic, it's definitely a whole new set of abilities for each class. Obtained only by PvPing. Just love critiques of unfinished works. The PvE side I am happy with, however housing still is not available yet, neither are the new classes. Hopefully open beta will shed some new light on alot of missing things.

Personally I think Yoshi-P is teasing us, giving us a little to chew on atta time, and saying ha ha wait til you see what I do next. It's the very kind of mindset that makes people come back for more.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Yea i started up a new character this weekend and levelled lancer to 33 and afew other classes with it for cross class abilities. I can certainly say its not as boring...The reason its not is because you have alot more abilities off the CGD and you will want to weave these abilities in.

these are the ones i used:
    Blood surge for next attack crit and heal
    legsweep for extra damage, or reserve it for interrupt.
    raging strikes from archer level 4 obvious for 20% damage for 20 sec.
    Bloodbath from warrior for healing on hit.
    invigorate for TP regain.
    second wind for crutch heal
    and i think flurry for more parry in those oh shit moments.

you will also get full thrust which makes your damage alittle bit more noticeable, you will want to be shifting positions on mobs to make use of positional attacks, keep your dot up, etc.

Also at more of an endgame level i think your GCD could be reduced alot more because of better gear, mine was down to 2.42.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    its a lot worse on the magic classes like say the conjurer....12345 every 1-2 seconds all day long...i dont think any1 can stand to pay for that =_=

hallo ~_~

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Ayulin
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by Lukavk
    Game is barely starting at 15. I had a buddy groaning about it being boring until we hit the dungeons then he was completely hooked. Though, honestly, it could just be this game isn't for you. I'd continue to the Ifrit fight and make my decision there at the least.

Yoshi-P gave a very long write up on the design philosophy of the game and actually mentioned in there that the early levels are designed to be easy (aka boring) because they wanted to appeal to a broader audience early on and hopefully convince people  to dive deeper. I personally didn't make it far enough to test content above 15 but I also have played enough MMO's to know the beginning levels are going to be slow. As a huge fan of FFXI, the combat itself did not bother me because I am a little tired of all MMO's feeling like they have to push the pace to get good combat. I know this isn't XI, but the skillchain system is what kept that games slow combat from feeling boring to me, so hopefully the group mechanics of XIV has something in place to sprucen up the slow pace. Either way I found the game enjoyable and can't wait for re-release.

Oh and here is that long read by Yoshi.... 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/388196/yoshida-explanations.html

I know you're trying to clear things up, but the way you summarize it here sounds really awful lol.

You're basically summarizing it as: "He made the beginning slow and boring to appeal to more people, in hopes they'd be convinced to dive in deeper".

If you were someone unfamiliar with this game, and you read your post, would it make you want to try it? Not bashing you.. just saying lol.

The way he explains it is that the beginning levels are simpler and less complex to allow new players, unfamiliar with MMOs, to ease into the game and learn the basics. In the meantime, by providing an interesting storyline, and some otherwise entertaining, but uncomplicated content, they might be compelled to stick with the game and get farther into it.

He acknowledged it might be boring to people who are already experienced in MMOs and don't require that early training. He included himself as someone that - as a gamer - wants to get past that stuff as fast as possible. He also realizes - as a producer/director - that throwing people in at the deep end by making the beginning content more like later level content would intimidate and push a lot of new people away. Pushing new people away is not what he wants to do.

It's a trade-off that has to be made. He was explaining it so people who look at it as many do (including him) would keep that in mind.

As you can see in this thread, and many others.... there's a lot of people who fit his exact description. They play through the early levels, see that it's not "complex, open and varied" as the later level content they're used to, and are ready to dismiss the entire game over it.

Yeah sorry I was on patrol when I decided to add my 2 cents. BTW it was supposed to be 2 cents and not a detailed review. This is also why I included a link to the actual thread that had the blog so anyone who actually had a legitimate question could read it for themselves rather than having others interpret it for them. If it sounds awful then I apologize but I don't feel the need to sugar coat it. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I think there's more than enough room in the world for action mmo's, tab targeting christmas tree mmo's, along with everything else. 

Sure, I enjoy faster based skill play. But I like the standard old mmo formula from time to time. Clearly, plenty of others do as well. 

• superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190
    The pvp skills you acquire are they for pve too or just to be used in pvp?
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Kayo83

Its MMO combat. I really dont understand what people want from MMO's anymore. You tab target, click/press on the shorcuts, stuff happens ... MMO. Developers have tried different things and have failed miserably yet you want the next one to revolutionize combat again. WTF? Has anyone ever whined about CoD being just another point and click shooter? God of War for being just another "tap the attack button 100 times" game? Uncharted for being another "climber." No! Almost everyone is happy just to get another iteration of the same damned thing with a new story and different maps to do the same damned thing on. Not MMO's though, those need to change the face of gaming for every new release or ... well its doesnt really matter because even the new, 'fresh' ones always fail anyway.

I think its time all the WoW converts go back to consoles. Whatever "MMO-magic" attracted them to Warcraft in the first place is only ever accepted in WoW and is going to die with WoW.

I was going to say, this is like the 4th thread. Lol

FPS(CoD, Halo,ModW,Borderlands) Cross hairs, Left click=fire, Right Click=Aim,R=reload, G= throw grenade,SpaceBar=Jump.

Wish more people would get it too. All the Revolutionairy mechanics are pretty much thought up at the moment. The only thing left is VR rooms or fully free of hands, voice activated stuff.  And FF XIV is a FF game so it is going to be geared toward that crowd, nothing wrong with that.  And Honestly the MMOs has devs freaked. just look at the reactions to some of the last mmos that have come out in the last 2-3 years. 

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by zaylin

FPS(CoD, Halo,ModW,Borderlands) Cross hairs, Left click=fire, Right Click=Aim,R=reload, G= throw grenade,SpaceBar=Jump.

Wish more people would get it too. All the Revolutionairy mechanics are pretty much thought up at the moment. The only thing left is VR rooms or fully free of hands, voice activated stuff.  And FF XIV is a FF game so it is going to be geared toward that crowd, nothing wrong with that.  And Honestly the MMOs has devs freaked. just look at the reactions to some of the last mmos that have come out in the last 2-3 years. 

You obviously have not played Bohemia or Frictional games.

And think of tab-targeting vs action combat like this: it's like comparing the mechanism of classic Dooms style shooters vs Modern shooters, I believe Modern shooters have far more potential for deeper gameplay than classic Doom style shooters. Just like  I believe action combat have far more potential for deeper gameplay than traditional tab targeting combat.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by SnarkRitter
    Originally posted by zaylin

You obviously have not played Bohemia or Frictional games.

And think of tab-targeting vs action combat like this: it's like comparing the mechanism of classic Dooms style shooters vs Modern shooters, I believe Modern shooters have far more potential for deeper gameplay than classic Doom style shooters. Just like  I believe action combat have far more potential for deeper gameplay than traditional tab targeting combat.

I dont think anything really of Tab vs Action. I enjoy both styles personally, it just depends on what Im in the mood for :^).

I guess a better way to have said it :Whats Dull to one , is potentially exciting to another.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

The combat is painfully slow.

I got to 29 on Marauder. I had a 2-3 button tanking threat rotation or a 2-3 button dps rotation with a few situational defensive or offensive steroids.

I really don't see how people can claim this is tactical. Depending on if I was tanking or dpsing I would press the same 2-3 buttons 90% of the time. Occasionally I had to step out or interupt a red circle.

The only semi-challenge came from making sure I did not waste a GCD on a dps skill when I actually needed to do something else like generate threat or stun.

Also be aware that there is only 1 spec per class and everyone gets exactly the same skills. Every marauder will be exactly the same as any other aside from some minor stat allocation choices. 0 room to buildcraft i.e. make tactical decisions about how to build a character.

As far as cross-class skills, you only get 4 slots and there are not that many that actually make much of a difference. I suspect everyone will use the same optimal cross skills. Jobs themselves have extremely limited cross class skill options.

Even though I hate the combat / buildcrafting, which I feel is vastly superior in GW2 and TSW, ARR does offer an immersive world and should have some good group content that is lacking in many MMOs.

One final note on FATEs: These are going to be exactly like how farming Orr was in GW2. At late game or levelling alts, a huge group of people will run from event to even collecting seals (Karma in GW2) which they can trade in for gear and other stuff. Braindead faction farming, just be aware.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Combat reminds me of TSW, with Aion special effects

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3