Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "You have no idea just how far we are going to make [factions] important..."

BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

I'm excited about this because of the potential for PVP.

Comments

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by Bidwood

Right...he's replying to a man who said he and his daughter played EQ and enjoyed the factions and wanted to know about EQnext, and you take out of it some sort of PvP context? WOW

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

With factions at least it wouldn't be ffa.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

With factions at least it wouldn't be ffa.

Not necessarily. Aren't there games where you can attack faction buddies with a penalty?

But friendly fire is annoying so I could settle for factions where you can only attack the enemy. Just as long as everyone has to be in a faction.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

So a possibility that this is factional warfare rather like PS2 with more mmorpg bolted on, well that certainly makes more sense than the full lot FFA opinions, which in my opinion don't make much sense for a game aiming for 10 year life cycle.

Only expressing that opinion after seeing the few FFA full loot ive played consume themselves in a  downward spiral of sub numbers once the game settle to 2 or 3 major clan/guild super blocks, then like a snake eating its own tail as in the legend, its pretty much over for that game, at the very least it will not gain sub numbers apart from the rare spike of a good patch, or a bored clan coming back for fits and giggles.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by kellian1

Right...he's replying to a man who said he and his daughter played EQ and enjoyed the factions and wanted to know about EQnext, and you take out of it some sort of PvP context? WOW

I agree, i think the people who didn't play EQ don't understand how faction worked in a PVE context lol.

Even learning another races language, it had nothing to do with PVP.

How it worked http://articles.eqresource.com/factionexplained.php

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I just hope it has artifacts, skill book masteries, and L&L's
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Exactly.  That tweet did not contain the letters PvP in sequential order, nor did it imply anything related to PvP... LET ALONE FFA PvP or non-consensual PvP.  I find it extremely funny that the mentality of that mindset would exhibit such horrible non intelligent rationale to force a point its funny.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by kruler

So a possibility that this is factional warfare rather like PS2 with more mmorpg bolted on, well that certainly makes more sense than the full lot FFA opinions, which in my opinion don't make much sense for a game aiming for 10 year life cycle.

Only expressing that opinion after seeing the few FFA full loot ive played consume themselves in a  downward spiral of sub numbers once the game settle to 2 or 3 major clan/guild super blocks, then like a snake eating its own tail as in the legend, its pretty much over for that game, at the very least it will not gain sub numbers apart from the rare spike of a good patch, or a bored clan coming back for fits and giggles.

Yeah...  factional warfare plus Minecraft-like creating of content, amazing graphics and combat...  would be AMAZING.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    another example of Smedley saying something that either side in the pve vs pvp debate can take as being pro-them. Well Played Smedley. 

Currently bored with MMO's.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    As a PvE player I might be able to get on board with strictly factional oriented PvP.  Players in the same faction would be allied and hopefully all working together and not fighting each other, but if you are out in the world and meet the opposing faction everything goes.  I look at this similar to the server battles in GW2 which I love.  Fighting with your team/faction against the enemy is lots of fun and PvP in this fashion I think I can get behind.  Of course this is all speculation on my part, but I can hope. 
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Oh god, I hope they arent going to take the WoW idea of a faction grind and expand it exponentially - that was one of the laziest "end game" ideas I have ever seen in an MMO.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

Originally posted by ElderRat
    another example of Smedley saying something that either side in the pve vs pvp debate can take as being pro-them. Well Played Smedley. 

Not really, remember EQ has a strong faction system so in a way it would be more in enhancing the faction system EQ had. Of course this is just my opinion but given the above it could hold more sway than the actually pvp side.

I think most of us vets don't care what PVP system is in as long as it's all server specific which i think Smed and co will do. I really can't see Smed forcing PVP down PVE's throats, Smed and Co have always been pretty good at giving us server choices.

I'll be playing ArcheAge or Age Of Wulin alongside EQN for my PVE fix.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    i  really enjoyed the velious faction thing the ring wars and the shawl now if they could mix pvp in tot hat mix  say someones doing the ring war  the giants ask you to make sure  the giants win it could be  cool as long as   its on a pvp server or an option
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I know, right?  These guys are grasping at straws with every tweet.  Quoting out of context to prove their point.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Kniknax
    Oh god, I hope they arent going to take the WoW idea of a faction grind and expand it exponentially - that was one of the laziest "end game" ideas I have ever seen in an MMO.

I think you mean EQ's faction grind idea. WoW copied the idea, but completely ruined it.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

It seems to me that whatever this guy says, ends up in a 20-page debate here. It's funny because I find all the "information" this guy gives extremely ambiguous. He actually says nothing clear. All he says is "everything is gonna be soooo great, you cannot imagine how great it will be", and people start creating their own scenarios.

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53

Reading the threads on here the last week or so it seems every comment made by any of the dev team is taken completely out of context on this site and turned into meaning something it didn't or doesn't, I'm surprised your surprised!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Zolb

it seems every comment made by any of the dev team is taken completely out of context 

I've been following info on this game for about a year.  I have to say I've seen something completely different.  I'm seeing facts come out and fanboys of the old IP deluding themselves that EQ Next is going to be something that it's not.  They went that route and changed it 2 years ago because that old system of MMORPG is dying.  Does that mean Hardcore FFA PvPers are going to get what they want?  Probably not.  But anyone whom thinks EQ Next is going to be like the games before is deluding themselves.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

I know, right?  These guys are grasping at straws with every tweet.  Quoting out of context to prove their point.

Where did he say that it was going to deal with PVP?  He said potential for PVP.  That's not quoting out of context.  That's reading into something that may or may not be there.  Which is what we are all doing based on the vague information we've been given so far.

Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Zolb

it seems every comment made by any of the dev team is taken completely out of context 

I've been following info on this game for about a year.  I have to say I've seen something completely different.  I'm seeing facts come out and fanboys of the old IP deluding themselves that EQ Next is going to be something that it's not.  They went that route and changed it 2 years ago because that old system of MMORPG is dying.  Does that mean Hardcore FFA PvPers are going to get what they want?  Probably not.  But anyone whom thinks EQ Next is going to be like the games before is deluding themselves.

And we have been following the game so perhaps you can tell us what "facts" you are talking about?

Nope it's a new game but it's still going to be very familiar to EQ players.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Where did he say that it was going to deal with PVP?  He said potential for PVP.  That's not quoting out of context.  That's reading into something that may or may not be there.  Which is what we are all doing based on the vague information we've been given so far.

[mod edit] yes, he's quoting out of context in order to support his belief that the game will potentially have pvp.  Someone could use the same argument proving the potential for no pvp and I guarantee you there would be 50 replies screaming bloody murder at such an assumption.

Thanks

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

And we have been following the game so perhaps you can tell us what "facts" you are talking about?

Nope it's a new game but it's still going to be very familiar to EQ players.

It will be sandbox.

It will have Open World PVP.  Smed doesn't specifically say EQ Next about this, but it's a response to a true Sandbox game having Open World PVP.  Some have deluded themselves into thinking that the man in charge is going to agree wholeheartedly in a public forum that he agrees that Sandbox games need to have Open World PVP, but not put it in his own game.  As if he has no control to tell his subordinates anything or that he would make public his own opinions about something that his very own game lacks.

It will be a parallel universe.

It will have a lot of involvement with Factions.

It will be on the PS4.

Crafting will play a large role.  (Read player related content)

It will be closely aligned with the feel of the original EQ.

There's other stuff that's more vague (like the burning down forests, etc.)

Oh I think he said we like permadeath for EQN once too.   so there's that.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

You have taken the bait from smed and let your imagination run wild.  What would be best, smed's little tweet, or a blog explaining the specifics in detail?  He is playing you.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WololoWololo Member Posts: 72

If you had ever played an EQ title, you would know that factions are NPC based and have nothing to do with PvP within their(SoE's) uses. 

When they have 'faction' based PvP, it is always referred to as 'Team' PvP, not faction pvp.

Dont get over excited because I fear you and the rest of the PvP-Gung-Ho-Squad are going to be sorely disappointed when EQN is revealed/released.

*EDIT* Clarified *EDIT*