Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At this point...

MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I know there's a thread already, easier to gauge with a poll.

Comments

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    After 2 beta weekends now, there's no doubt left in my mind. I am loving 2.0 so much!
  • Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I agree as well although i wouldn't have last week. I found the first couple hours to be very tedious however once i got past all the tutorial BS and was able to start switching jobs... just awesome! Very innovative class/job system that will keep me entertained for years. I would however like to see less quests, so sick of feeling like I'm forced to do these quests in MMO's now a days, just annoying. Should only have a handful of meaningful quests, everything else should be group based combat imho
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Still undecided atm.
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Thunder073
    I agree as well although i wouldn't have last week. I found the first couple hours to be very tedious however once i got past all the tutorial BS and was able to start switching jobs... just awesome! Very innovative class/job system that will keep me entertained for years. I would however like to see less quests, so sick of feeling like I'm forced to do these quests in MMO's now a days, just annoying. Should only have a handful of meaningful quests, everything else should be group based combat imho

You can mix it up, though.

You can mix FATEs ,with Quests, with Story Quests (still quests, yes, but far more involved and more played out - and epic from what I've seen so far). While it's not the "intended" way to level, you can still fight regular world mobs.. just pick some a level or two above your own and have fun... get a bit of a challenge and decent xp... Once you hit 15 there's dungeons, which reward good xp and can be pretty fun. There's Levequests at level 10, which I've always felt are more like "tasks" than quests. Hunting log is another viable thing to do, helps learn the map, perhaps get to see some new places you'd missed previously, etc.

There's a variety of things to do, really. I deliberately skipped a lot of quests on my character just so I'd have them as an option still on other classes and I got along just fine.

'course, that all depends on which of those activities you find enjoyable, and in what quantity.

But anyway... back OT... Yes, I'll be playing and have pre-purchased the CE (again :).

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Even though the combat and questing are nothing new, at all, there is something intangibly fun about ARR I can't quite put a finger on.

The characters, the world, the stories, the dialog.. I actually read the quest text, the cut scenes and mini boss battles...  the animations and just feel to everything... when you hit with an ability it is just flashy enough to be "impactful" and really feel like it has weight. The sound design is incredible.

Everything just feels right, moves right, plays right, looks amazing...

Doesn't reinvent the wheel, but man it is a nice wheel.

In a world of clones, unorignal game design, poor production quality, or just a complete lack of addictive gameplay, FFXIV somehow manages to weave together juuuuuusssttt the right mix to deliver a unique and interesting game I can't wait to spend countless hours in.

I know many will not be able to look past the slower paced combat and kill/collect/fedex questing.

I understand some are just completely tired of it.

But the main story has thus far been worth the price of admission alone.

Throw in housing and grand companies and everything else I haven't seen yet, Guild leves and dungeons and raids are worth the price of subscription to me.

I think lots of people are so hell bent on "something new" and "something different" that they've forgotten what makes these games great. What makes these games worth subbing to.

To me, it's adventure. It's the feeling of awe and wonder and that push to keep going and see what is next, to hit that next milestone.

FFXIV:ARR has soul. It's classic, it's a bit old school, yet it's polished - refined. It's an evolution of the archetype, a step in the logical sequence.

I just need to find a good guild to pal around with. This is the kind of MMO experience best shared with others.

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

I own 1.0 CE, and I am contemplating pre-ordering the basic version so I can start sooner >.>

Yes, I will be playing.  

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

never gonna buy and pay sub for a mmo that is released for consoles also

becouse of dumbed down mechanic and other reasons

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by saurus123

Good luck with the 1-2 PC exclusive MMOs coming out in the future.

You're going to have to realize that many if not most MMOs will not be releasing on console now too with the PS4/XB1 being so MMO friendly and easy to port to/from.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Nothing is ever for sure but i am quite certain i will be playing it on a noob server.

I hope people get out of their solo phobia and start taking advantage of group play.You can do the Behests and +5 skill level of regular guild leves.Also i don't think anyone in Beta has tried Free Companies yet either as i don't think that content is in the game yet.Housing is still yet to come.

This game after 6 months will have all the content of other games and MORE,that is a really solid effort from a developer that has far less numbers than say 5-8 year old games like Eve for example that is still lagging in a finished product.

Seriously though,you won't have as much fun in any game unless you find some friends to play with,that is the key.With good friends to rely on you can do any content and not get bummed out.Square added quests story and adventure to open up the game to new players,i wouldn't expect that trend to continue throughout the game,it might but i would not rely on it,you are holding yourself back if not grouping.Even if 2-3 players it is much better than solo.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    This site seems to overall love this game.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Whats been dumbed down

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I will preorder this game i enjoyed it.  I got to level 20 on my lancer and for the last beta phases i'm going to learn about crafting jobs so i can get a understanding of everything before i decide what i'm going to do. Its the closest mmo to a turn based game i've seen in awhile so i hope to enjoy it and find a guild :D. There does seem alot of quest but i feel when your leveling 8+ jobs it wont be anywhere close to enough i just hope there is some great grinding.
  • PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

I pre-ordered the game.

I like the different options available at level 10+. Changing classes around, mixing some abilities from different classes, regular quests, FATE, hunting logs, guild leves, and dungeons. With MMOs I usually end up playing a lot of alts but I like how I can stick with one character and do almost everything.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Ive put undecided, which i am, atm im about 50/50 whilst i played over the weekend, (see my own thread on it)

There are some things i would like to see in open beta,  before i decide. I do like what i see, but i also dont like some aspects, if the dont likes can be smoothed out, heck even downgraded to MEH wish it wasn'ts

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Then you will never play an MMO again.

FFXIV, EQ Next and Elder Scrolls online are all on PS4 lol. Every new major MMO will be on consoles as well.

Good luck waiting for better games than these.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• lavosslayerlavosslayer Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by khameleon

Then you will never play an MMO again.

FFXIV, EQ Next and Elder Scrolls online are all on PS4 lol. Every new major MMO will be on consoles as well.

Good luck waiting for better games than these.

lets not forget DC Universe Online, Free Realms, Dust 514, Warframe, Destiny and Planetside 2. (Most of which are exclusive to PS4) All they need to do now is add mouse and keyboard UI support options and compatibility and MMOs exclusively on PC will be a thing of the past.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Probably not.

I'm gonna give it another shot when it gets into OB and I won't have to worry about my char just being wiped, but, as it stands I doubt I'll fork over fifty bucks.  Maybe later on down the road, though. 

Some parts are so well done, others just don't jive with me.  In reality I think I just don't feel like bothering with another themepark. /shrug

Not a fan of the combat so far.  Don't like the invisible walls everywhere.  Don't like the questing, but apparently that's not such a big part of the game. 

Love the atmosphere.  The visuals and music are excellent.  Really love the anime feel of everything too.  Actually that's probably the one thing that might draw me in.  You can at least tell, despite its flaws, that the devs actually care about their world and worked hard in putting it together.  That's worth a lot.  That's half of what's appealing to me about a virtual world / sandbox, so even though this may be considered a themepark it still has some appeal. 

We'll see I guess.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by redcapp

Probably not.

I'm gonna give it another shot when it gets into OB and I won't have to worry about my char just being wiped, but, as it stands I doubt I'll fork over fifty bucks.  Maybe later on down the road, though. 

Some parts are so well done, others just don't jive with me.  In reality I think I just don't feel like bothering with another themepark. /shrug

30 bucks

• WATSKIWATSKI Member Posts: 37

I'll be playing at launch, and hopefully for the majority of the game's existence. I'm clearly biased for this game, but looking at a lot of the community I've met so far, the mechanics, the dungeons, the grand companies, and the fact (just like in FFXI) you can have multiple linkshells, this game has a great infrastructure. The only thing I'm not excited about is the group finder, but that's because I'm still in favor of putting yourself out there and asking someone over just waiting to be paired with them.

This last weekend alone I managed to pick up three new friends while working on dungeons, ones I never would have met before if I just paired up with randoms and never talked with them as we tried to clear the dungeon as quick as possible. I love the fact I had to call out for people and go through that awkwardness people used to know as "conversations".  And since it seems 4 is going to be the magic number for groups, it really shouldn't be that hard to gather people together.

As for combat, I've heard mixed things from friends and other players, but I overall like it. Most spells have a decent cast time so planning needs to be done in tight situations. Many of the DPS classes have to move into position and (hopefully) use the right skills for status effects/maximized damage. Tanks should be repositioning themselves and the party as needed, making sure others don't get hit by line attacks and that they get away from some of the more damaging effects. Healers should be able to heal, position, kill status effects and help the flow of the battle (I called out and caught on to a lot of different events the party may not have been aware of since it was everyone's first time going through the dungeon). People can call it simple or samey, but the action is what you make of it, and I find that I'd rather be optimistic and remember my positives then complain that it's like every other MMORPG in X or Y way (which I never understood that argument, since isn't that what makes a genre a genre? If I wanted an FPS, shouldn't I want to shoot things and hope my twitch reactions pay off? Why wouldn't I want my MMORPG to have good strategy and team building?).

And as for the themepark talk, I can understand the implications, but I think that this game has many elements that don't coincide with that label. Mount raising, additional skills, attribute point allocation, on-the-fly class changing, while much of the game could be considered "themepark", there are just as many elements to make your character and your experience unique, and if you're argument is "well, of course there is going to be a best build," then you're just cheating yourself out of the experience of making your own character. I say that completely straightfaced, if you just jump on a website and just find a build and use it exactly how they say, then complain that everyone is the same, then you're part of the problem.

Maybe this game won't be for the majority of the MMO market today, and it certainly won't be a "WoW-killer" or anything like that, but I find it solid enough already to be my new MMO for a while, and I think the community that sticks around will be happy with their decision. I'm not looking for a sandbox where I can have dreams of shaping and trying to take over the world in my own image. PVP is not the major reason I play. Hardcore raiding and endgame never appealed that much to me, I like the idea that if I have decent plans on any given night, endgame can take a day off and it'll still be there tomorrow. What this game does have, is what I'm hoping to be a solid community that enjoys the gameplay and wants to work together, in a setting I like with characters I enjoy. And that's enough for me.

Aim Small, Miss Small.

• lavosslayerlavosslayer Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by WATSKI

I'll be playing at launch, and hopefully for the majority of the game's existence. I'm clearly biased for this game, but looking at a lot of the community I've met so far, the mechanics, the dungeons, the grand companies, and the fact (just like in FFXI) you can have multiple linkshells, this game has a great infrastructure. The only thing I'm not excited about is the group finder, but that's because I'm still in favor of putting yourself out there and asking someone over just waiting to be paired with them.

This last weekend alone I managed to pick up three new friends while working on dungeons, ones I never would have met before if I just paired up with randoms and never talked with them as we tried to clear the dungeon as quick as possible. I love the fact I had to call out for people and go through that awkwardness people used to know as "conversations".  And since it seems 4 is going to be the magic number for groups, it really shouldn't be that hard to gather people together.

As for combat, I've heard mixed things from friends and other players, but I overall like it. Most spells have a decent cast time so planning needs to be done in tight situations. Many of the DPS classes have to move into position and (hopefully) use the right skills for status effects/maximized damage. Tanks should be repositioning themselves and the party as needed, making sure others don't get hit by line attacks and that they get away from some of the more damaging effects. Healers should be able to heal, position, kill status effects and help the flow of the battle (I called out and caught on to a lot of different events the party may not have been aware of since it was everyone's first time going through the dungeon). People can call it simple or samey, but the action is what you make of it, and I find that I'd rather be optimistic and remember my positives then complain that it's like every other MMORPG in X or Y way (which I never understood that argument, since isn't that what makes a genre a genre? If I wanted an FPS, shouldn't I want to shoot things and hope my twitch reactions pay off? Why wouldn't I want my MMORPG to have good strategy and team building?).

And as for the themepark talk, I can understand the implications, but I think that this game has many elements that don't coincide with that label. Mount raising, additional skills, attribute point allocation, on-the-fly class changing, while much of the game could be considered "themepark", there are just as many elements to make your character and your experience unique, and if you're argument is "well, of course there is going to be a best build," then you're just cheating yourself out of the experience of making your own character. I say that completely straightfaced, if you just jump on a website and just find a build and use it exactly how they say, then complain that everyone is the same, then you're part of the problem.

Maybe this game won't be for the majority of the MMO market today, and it certainly won't be a "WoW-killer" or anything like that, but I find it solid enough already to be my new MMO for a while, and I think the community that sticks around will be happy with their decision. I'm not looking for a sandbox where I can have dreams of shaping and trying to take over the world in my own image. PVP is not the major reason I play. Hardcore raiding and endgame never appealed that much to me, I like the idea that if I have decent plans on any given night, endgame can take a day off and it'll still be there tomorrow. What this game does have, is what I'm hoping to be a solid community that enjoys the gameplay and wants to work together, in a setting I like with characters I enjoy. And that's enough for me.

+1 to you! I feel the same way!

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Still undecided at this point.

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by lavosslayer
    Originally posted by WATSKI

+1 to you! I feel the same way!

+2

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I've gone from the biggest hater of 1.0 to completely shocked at how much the game has improved in 2.0.

I do have some issues:
    • Needs more emphasis on group play
    • Invisible walls hinder exploration
    • Needs more classes (Dark Knight, Thief, Samurai)
    • Needs a better character creator (hairstyles are limited)
    • Being locked to 1 weapon is a bummer

Some of these can obviously be expanded on and will at some point, so i can look past them for now.  I'm thoroughly impressed with how far the game has come and will be supporting it come release.  Hopefully the housing system and raiding are fleshed out because i could see myself doing either for a long time.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

I've already got my pre-order.

That being said, I don't think this game will retain as many people as it attracts. I'm betting on like a 40% retention rate. You can just see the shift in attitudes on a lot of the forums, and the luster of "NEW GAME!" is wearing off for a lot of people, and the reality of "We've done a lot of this before in other games..." is setting in.

Regardless, I'm going to roll my character on ULTROS when P4 begins, and start a free company. I'm in it for the long haul, and if you are going to be too, then feel free to join me :)

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...