Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

nothing out of the ordinary

GGaFxGGaFx Member Posts: 151

its better than 1.0 for the most part but still has issues n they may be small to some those can make or break a game.  for me the intro sucks so bad.  also the sliding was big on the forums as with a quest being very difficult at such a low lvl. idk when they said whole new game blah blah i expected more but it feels like all they did was half ass it again.  fixed the issues that made the first one fail. not impressed as much as i love FF i can't say this game is amazing but will see. 

16 PUG

Comments

• GGaFxGGaFx Member Posts: 151

anyways: lets try this again. 

intro to the game sucks cinematic w/e it sucks.  the dialogue to get to the city n cut scenes suck.  all it makes you want to do is skip all of it. 

animation when in combat tends to do a  sliding motion when you jump around cast n move. 

a quest at lvl 14 is very difficult annoying for most but its an issue.

the game imo is not much different than the first. i played both 1.0 2.0 and when squire enix said new game better this better that they failed to do so imo.  

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633

Had no issues with the cutscenes, would be nice if they were voiced, but not a dealbreaker.

Havent noticed any sliding, but do you really need to jump mid cast?

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by GGaFx

intro to the game sucks cinematic w/e it sucks.  the dialogue to get to the city n cut scenes suck.  all it makes you want to do is skip all of it. 

animation when in combat tends to do a  sliding motion when you jump around cast n move. 

the game imo is not much different than the first. i played both 1.0 2.0 and when squire enix said new game better this better that they failed to do so imo.  

place holder with no voice over yet

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

Had no issues with the cutscenes, would be nice if they were voiced, but not a dealbreaker.

Havent noticed any sliding, but do you really need to jump mid cast?

i think the main story will be voiced

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I like the opening cut scenes. Can't wait until I can hear them voiced. The one thing I don't like is since it is beta, I'm making a lot of characters, so seeing it repeatedly. Wish I could skip it after seeing it once, lol. I won't have that problem when it is live though since I will only have 1 character.

Complaining about a quest being too hard? lol. Talking about that bugged one where you can't even get help because it won't work. Ya, I'm pretty sure that won't be a problem later on.

• bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52

So since a quest is difficult for most it is an issue? The posters on the forums was stating that they wanted a challenging experience. 

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

It took me seven tries to complete the level 15 story instance and I was so happy when I beat it. I will be very disappointed if they lower the difficulty level of that fight. It was the first time in a long time in a MMO I felt like I accomplished something. 

(mod edit)

Vivik-Cerberus
  • nottykidnottykid Member UncommonPosts: 23

More or less I agree with the original poster; the game IS final fantasy so the graphics were expected to be nothing less than substantial and the cut scenes delivered. Final Fantasy is known for compelling story lines and once again I found FF14 took a good shot at making an MMO have a compelling story line (really isn't easy with MMO's.)

HOWEVER!

The gameplay is what it boils down to and for me the combat was so very lack-luster. In a comparison I'd say playing FF14 was like playing Defiance, it feels like it's all been done before and it might have new "ideas" but the gameplay tasted old and a flavor anything but not new.

I've seen quite a few videos that looked amazing in combat so I asked myself why do they tease with videos like these but then have you play a game that has your first hours of gameplay suck so bad. Here is how it goes;

Talk to npc, go talk to another npc, go talk to another npc, go kill 10 of these, go collect 5 of these, go talk to 10 more npcs....

You'd think MMO's had out grown this by now.

My major regret is I never did get to hit higher level gameplay so in a sense I am biased though to that regard; I dont see much sense in getting to late game content if I have to FORCE myself to play through the early-mid!

I gave it a good run but there's nothing "new" here and my attention couldn't stick any longer; truly disappointed considering how excited I was to play beta.

I would love to give this game another go around and maybe get more "action" this time and possibly be more "interested" yet at the same time from my experience so far I would only be about 25% likely to pay for it retail...no chance in paying a monthly which happens to be the case...

Again...didn't MMO's out grow this? (Free to play = OK; Pay to Win = Not OK; Retail = Best; Pay to Play = Worst!)

But that's a whole 'nother nut shell!

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

OP's responses do nark me a little bit. They are written as if it's reviewing the game and offering insight as to why not to play this game. However, they are just observational opinions based around the BETA access. 

I shall give my thoughts on this also as that seems to be the trend at the moment...

1) Cut-scene is good, I enjoyed it. But then I've always enjoyed Squares CG work. No, it's not voiced presently but it will most likely be voiced later on. the voice 'part' is not something that needs to be 'tested' in a BETA IMO. But, considering 1.0 had the CG voiced with the opening scene voiced as well as many quests voiced it would be a-miss for them to not follow suit. 

Everything in the game will NOT be voiced, but I imagine important characters, events will be. Much like how WoW has important scenes and characters voiced. 

2) The animation of 'sliding' is a latency based issue. I had this happen to me at outset of Beta phase 2, but in honest I have not had a single animation issue since then. I understand that latency works different for individuals based on location etc etc. This, however has not been a problem for me since phase 2. 

Other than that the animations, imo actually feel quite wonderful and impressive and not just including my own, monster animations feel lovely too. 

3) As a note, I found no quest 'difficult' nor annoying all the way up to level 20. This is subjective I imagine and may vary between player to player. But, I played three classes (as I wanted to try the different starting locations) and I didn't struggle in the slightest. All I needed to be was intelligent about how I pulled and dealt with certain situations. 

Let me wrap this up by saying that I have this game fun, it has a lot of nice elements to it and I actually feel like I am playing a Final Fantasy game. In fact I feel that more with this game than I do with any of the FF13 games. 

How well will this game succeed? No idea, but the things in place are a VAST (and I do mean vast) improvement over 1.0 which for me was near unplayable for many 'personal' reasons. 

At the very least, it's worth your attention. 

• shal.ffxishal.ffxi Member Posts: 115
    I'm liking this game very much!! To the OP, did you even tried the main quest dungeon fights with 4 man party? Or even Ifrit? Ifrit fight was a blast...!!

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Well, this is all in my opinion, but this thread was hard to read and has little to no reasoning or facts.  Also lost credibility (with me personally) when saying it was similar to the first one.  In addition, did not appear to even bother going on the forums and reading the 700+ post of feedback responses and updates regarding the one coherent issue I managed to read (the so-called sliding with a few skills).

Thanks for your thoughts, but I have to disagree completely and give my own review of this thread (I.E. just this thread and not you personally):  It was a complete waste of time for me to read, while also performing the least amount of work necessary to accomplish:  Press "new thread", type words without looking up things to back up the few claims made.

Now one can dislike certain things and that's okay, as that's their personal style and preference. Though it just doesn't seem like any attempt at all was made to see if there is any information regarding the things (I'm still not 100% sure what the complains were about, so forgive me on that point) that were being complained about.  Also, the assertion that they weren't even trying is (in my opinion) also were the post took a turn for the worse as the simplest amount of research would've told exactly where they are and their stance.  The immense feedback they're taking in, responding too and enacting upon.  Even by talking to a first person source who has played in Alpha and understands all the changes due to feedback that have been made since then.  This just seems to be a "look at me" post more so than anything, as it doesn't show any evidence that any real care was put into the words (both in editing or in actually looking up to see if a subject has relevance tot he topic at hand).  These reasons are why I am in 100% disagree with the thread (how can we see care if we don't employ it ourselves?).  Hopefully you don't take my opinion as a personal attack, as my explanations of things sometimes are (though I would be a hypocrite if I didn't go into detail on why I believe my thoughts are correct or even show ample care in writing something long).

Also disagree with the starting of the game (though that's more of one's personal taste):  It best represents what the game is about.  If one doesn't like it, they likely won't like the game in general (or any final fantasy game if that's the case).

As a general statement and question to my fellows on this forum that may or may not be related to this thread... The trolls really aren't trying anymore are they?  On pretty much any game on any forum, that is.  Not just this one as a whole.  Oh well,  if that's how they get entertainment out of life, then I guess it's just a part of the internet to see people just provoking angry responses.

It may be a totally crazy idea, but I remember the days when playing a game was more fun than trying to make other people's night miserable with poorly written and researched rhetoric aimed at just stirring up trouble.  But again, that's just the internet and not just any one post to mention.

:3

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • poyozopoyozo Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by nottykid

More or less I agree with the original poster; the game IS final fantasy so the graphics were expected to be nothing less than substantial and the cut scenes delivered. Final Fantasy is known for compelling story lines and once again I found FF14 took a good shot at making an MMO have a compelling story line (really isn't easy with MMO's.)

HOWEVER!

The gameplay is what it boils down to and for me the combat was so very lack-luster. In a comparison I'd say playing FF14 was like playing Defiance, it feels like it's all been done before and it might have new "ideas" but the gameplay tasted old and a flavor anything but not new.

I've seen quite a few videos that looked amazing in combat so I asked myself why do they tease with videos like these but then have you play a game that has your first hours of gameplay suck so bad. Here is how it goes;

Talk to npc, go talk to another npc, go talk to another npc, go kill 10 of these, go collect 5 of these, go talk to 10 more npcs....

You'd think MMO's had out grown this by now.

My major regret is I never did get to hit higher level gameplay so in a sense I am biased though to that regard; I dont see much sense in getting to late game content if I have to FORCE myself to play through the early-mid!

I gave it a good run but there's nothing "new" here and my attention couldn't stick any longer; truly disappointed considering how excited I was to play beta.

I would love to give this game another go around and maybe get more "action" this time and possibly be more "interested" yet at the same time from my experience so far I would only be about 25% likely to pay for it retail...no chance in paying a monthly which happens to be the case...

Again...didn't MMO's out grow this? (Free to play = OK; Pay to Win = Not OK; Retail = Best; Pay to Play = Worst!)

But that's a whole 'nother nut shell!

Please keep in mind that you are playing a BETA and have access to a miniscule amount of the game. In a recent letter, the producer addressed this concern saying that it is normal for MMORPG vets to find the game simple at first because the first 15-20 are aimed at MMO newbies that have not played an MMO before. Keep in mind that this is an FF title and as such may attract people unfamiliar with the genre and they need these noob friendly beginning. The parts you have played are the equivalent of a tutorial, and since you know your way around an MMO you will find it boring.

Yoshi-P stated in this same letter that the journey to lvl50 should be piece of cake for MMO vets, but it is intended. The game gets a LOT deeper after that when you get into multi classing and group content. Yoshi-P's suggestion for MMO vets is to enjoy other aspects of the game (such as story, exploration) until the game gets deeper for you.

Here, I suggest you read this post, it will throw a lot of light on your concerns about the game. Its a lot to read but well worth it.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/388196/yoshida-explanations.html

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by nottykid

I've seen quite a few videos that looked amazing in combat so I asked myself why do they tease with videos like these but then have you play a game that has your first hours of gameplay suck so bad.

My major regret is I never did get to hit higher level gameplay so in a sense I am biased though to that regard;

^^You answered your own question.

They're showing the higher level combat and skills in those videos. Just as they do for any other MMO on the market. No MMO is marketed by showing off the basic, beginning combat and content. That's the entry/beginner/tutorial content. That's not the "exciting stuff" by design and wouldn't make for very interesting marketing material.

But let me ask you this...

How many MMORPGs can you name where the first 1-20 levels aren't teaching you the basics of the game? Where the choice of skills at your level aren't limited? Where the gameplay isn't more guided, straight-forward and linear than it may be as you progress out of the beginner levels and get more into the "normal" game?

You'd think people would have grown out of expecting the early game in a MMO to be "action packed and complicated" and realize that no MMO is like that from day 1. They all start out very basic, only providing a few basic skills, providing very menial and elementary content to complete to ease new players into the game, (remember not everyone starting a MMO has played one before).

If you were to portray the skill progression of pretty much any MMO (with perhaps a few exceptions), you'd see a similar shape. It would look like an inverted cone, starting at level 1 and expanding upward as the abilities available increase in quantity, variety, utility and damage output.

MMOs start out basic and straight-forward like that quite deliberately... Not everyone coming to a given MMO is experienced in the genre. There are always people new to MMOs coming along. They are the players those early levels and tutorials and limited abilities are designed for. It's not for the experienced MMO players who know all that already and can charge through it within a couple hours.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    To those complaining about the early levels being the same old same old I highly recommend you read Yoshi P's producer post on the beta forum.
    Originally posted by NetSage
    To those complaining about the early levels being the same old same old I highly recommend you read Yoshi P's producer post on the beta forum.

Might be concerning that the director has to release a long list of reasonings of how things are before the game is even released.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Might be concerning that the director has to release a long list of reasonings of how things are before the game is even released.

As long as you are concerned for me I can sleep at night.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by bigbudz

So since a quest is difficult for most it is an issue? The posters on the forums was stating that they wanted a challenging experience. 

I was glad to see an actual challenge in the main storyline, even if it was a solo experience.  On the level 15 quest, I died once, regrouped and reformulated my strategy, and won the fight.  I'm so glad it wasn't a total faceroll fight.  Just like some of the earlier quests, they introduce you to mechanics where you need to move out of the way of a charged up attack, and if you don't, you'll just get owned.

Originally posted by Murugan

As long as you are concerned for me I can sleep at night.

Even you have to admit it looks like he was trying to get a jump on some bad PR

PS3