Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enjoyed this amazing game that is... until today

1789101113»

Comments

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Quiting over somthing you describe is typical of todays generation if its not going your way even as little as you describe you ragequit, rediculous but i think there is more to it then you saying here this is no reason to quit the game.

This has been done for years on forums, first praise something and then start trashing it down lol.

Hope you find what your looking for but pls dont be so demanding over such little things.

bump.

Add clue:  You may never find what you are looking for, because what you are looking for is inner peace, grasshopper.  They will all suck, eventually.  

Come to peace with that, and they are also all good if the company of friends you are playing with is good, and the game company isn't screwing you too badly (which, at least so far, isn't the case in GW2).

At least you aren't one of these people who buys a game, rushes to level cap, says it sucks and rushes to buy the next game immediately.  

But, uh, yeah.  The problem may not be with the game entirely...  See if it doesn't follow you, like you know, you see the same girlfriend issues can follow some of your friends from relationship to relationship...;)

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I might be in the minority, but I just don't like the Holy Trinity. I like games that let me build up my own template. That's part of the experience I'm after in an MMO. Otherwise, my character building skills would really just be me googling the (for example) "How To Tank in Game X" guide and following along. Rather boring. Just my opinion.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Vayman

I might be in the minority, but I just don't like the Holy Trinity. I like games that let me build up my own template. That's part of the experience I'm after in an MMO. Otherwise, my character building skills would really just be me googling the (for example) "How To Tank in Game X" guide and following along. Rather boring. Just my opinion.

You are not the only one. I like GW2s system better for the reasons described.

Plus, 90% of most PVE is played solo. This system allows you to have the entire holy trinity in each class. 

If GW2 had come out before EQ and WoW, it would be the norm, and the holy trinity system would seem odd.

@OP. The entire genre of players has slowly been slipping into action gaming. Play the game as an RPG and you will enjoy it much more. The weapon selection is what the GM has designed for the current game, play it to those rules. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I bought GW2 and rolled 3 classes to level 15ish before quiting due to absolutely no real diversity. Blame the whiners who flood the forums with their stupidity. Those few rather see every class do a little bit of everything instead of having diversity with their classes. For example, games like Everquest was legendary because of class diversity. When you chose your class, no one else could do most of the things you could. I played a druid,,, only wizards could teleport like us, no one could snare, only shamans and bards had speed buffs, no one else had evac, no other priest/mage class could wear leather and wield scimitars and shields, depending on shield, no one else could quad kite except bards, etc, etc, etc..

Basically what I'm saying is, GW 2 plays like an MMO designed for QQ, whiner casual mmo gaming children. I couldn't get into it AT ALL. The graphics are  very good, character models are good, the world is impressive looking, but the core mechanics are not for me.. I'm not trying to bash the game. Maybe If I was 12-18 I would respect and enjoy it more. But I'm a mmo gaming vet who started in 1998 with UO, followed by EQ, etc etc. I know a pew pew MMO when I see one, and GW2 is one of those games that caters to children and casual gamers more than hardcore gamers.. I mean, it's F2P, lol.

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• JoshNogJoshNog Member UncommonPosts: 18

I mean the inherent need to belong, the need to have a job, the feeling of being a necessary part of a cohort group of individuals. In my opinion this game lacks that feeling despite being such an immensely cooperative game. Everyone is a healer, everyone can do damage, everyone can essentially do everything.... that in turn makes me feel like anything I do has no purpose, no meaning, no real significance.

That, my friend, is the extension of real life. Indeed MMORPG are some kind of RL extension, since we share with a community many hours in which we have to cooperate, work together, have fun together, live together.

The mistake in GW2 as in many other MMOs is the intention to satisfy those new MMORPGs gamers who just want everything in about 2 weeks; who are completely casual and don't care at all about the whole game; just the quick rewards to show off. Those appeared in late WoW and ruined the game.

MMORPGs essence is to create a whole new vast world to create another life, your char's life. There are people behind those characters, people who have motivations, expectations, wishes and goals. Like in RL. If you don't feel important, relevant, meaningful,  you will end up tired, bored and discouraged. All we do, in a MMO or RL need to be satisfying, we need to feel our place in the world.

Some people have spent many hours trying to separate RL's feelings from those you feel in a MMO game and its community. Therefore, you arrive at this point, where people are not appealed anymore by MMOs or just stay some months in them.

That's the reason; to get satisfaction we need to feel the hard work. We are humans playing, so all our attitudes will be in a game as well. Trying to separate them, is a waste of time.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Vayman

No my friend you are not alone.  More and more people are realizing that the trinity is a tired mechanic that pigeon holes players to much.  A lot of players still like to be "told" how to the play a game by forcing them into one of three roles.  However all it does is take away choices.  More and more developers are starting to realize this and as a result we are starting to see more games that ditch the trinity trickle out to us consumers.  I think a lot of studios were waiting to see how GW2 did and now that they see it's a complete success they are willing to do the same.  I don't think devs want their games to be labeled WoW clones anymore which is what seems to happen with every single game that follows the trinity style of gameplay.   ANet has given me hope that studios are actually starting to listen gamers.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

More and more people are realizing that the trinity is a tired mechanic that pigeon holes players to much.  A lot of players still like to be "told" how to the play a game by forcing them into one of three roles. 

And here we go again. The endless, pointless and boring defense of a subjective point based on tastes and likes. Let's see it this way: having classes that do everything, isn't a way to force us to play "X" way? Why can't I have a full tank? Or maybe a full healer? Instead a support class? Why can't I choose what I want to play?

When you try to defend a point like this, based in what you like the most, you can only do it denying the other option, because you will never have solid and logic arguments to defend something subjective. 

If you want, we can stay here for hours trying to convince each other why X is better than Y, and we'll never agree because it's based on what you like or not. 

You criticize Holy Trinity by making a statement that is boring and old. You defend your point by stating it is a tired mechanic (subjective); so we need another way to do things. See? I could do the same, for example, telling you that Holy Trinity is the way that True MMOs are meant to be played, Am I right? No, I'm not. It's just my opinion.

So please, I respect and encourage everybody to show their opinion but do not sell it as a one, unique truth.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by JoshNog

More and more people are realizing that the trinity is a tired mechanic that pigeon holes players to much.  A lot of players still like to be "told" how to the play a game by forcing them into one of three roles. 

And here we go again. The endless, pointless and boring defense of a subjective point based on tastes and likes. Let's see it this way: having classes that do everything, isn't a way to force us to play "X" way? Why can't I have a full tank? Or maybe a full healer? Instead a support class? Why can't I choose what I want to play?

When you try to defend a point like this, based in what you like the most, you can only do it denying the other option, because you will never have solid and logic arguments to defend something subjective. 

If you want, we can stay here for hours trying to convince each other why X is better than Y, and we'll never agree because it's based on what you like or not. 

You criticize Holy Trinity by making a statement that is boring and old. You defend your point by stating it is a tired mechanic (subjective); so we need another way to do things. See? I could do the same, for example, telling you that Holy Trinity is the way that True MMOs are meant to be played, Am I right? No, I'm not. It's just my opinion.

So please, I respect and encourage everybody to show their opinion but do not sell it as a one, unique truth.

Hmmm, interesting that you didn't quote people making sweeping statements about how GW2 is terrible due to it's mechanics based off of their tastes and likes.  You are not hitting me up with a double standard are you?

But you are right, arguing about this nonsensical.   However my point was not trying to convince someone who doesn't agree with me, unlike 90% (yes pulled from my arse) of the posts on these forums.  My post was to agree with someone else who feels the same way as me.  See these forums are a two way street, but a lot of people seem to forget that.  Even I do sometimes.

By you hypothetically saying "the Holy Trinity is the way that true MMOs are meant to be played" would be you basically repeating what others in this thread have already said.  So it wouldn't be anything new to read. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by oakthornn

I bought GW2 and rolled 3 classes to level 15ish before quiting due to absolutely no real diversity. Blame the whiners who flood the forums with their stupidity. Those few rather see every class do a little bit of everything instead of having diversity with their classes. For example, games like Everquest was legendary because of class diversity. When you chose your class, no one else could do most of the things you could. I played a druid,,, only wizards could teleport like us, no one could snare, only shamans and bards had speed buffs, no one else had evac, no other priest/mage class could wear leather and wield scimitars and shields, depending on shield, no one else could quad kite except bards, etc, etc, etc..

Basically what I'm saying is, GW 2 plays like an MMO designed for QQ, whiner casual mmo gaming children. I couldn't get into it AT ALL. The graphics are  very good, character models are good, the world is impressive looking, but the core mechanics are not for me.. I'm not trying to bash the game. Maybe If I was 12-18 I would respect and enjoy it more. But I'm a mmo gaming vet who started in 1998 with UO, followed by EQ, etc etc. I know a pew pew MMO when I see one, and GW2 is one of those games that caters to children and casual gamers more than hardcore gamers.. I mean, it's F2P, lol.

You mean like in GW2 the Warrior is the only class that can dual wield maces?

Or maybe how mesmers are the only ones that can teleport other people?

Or how elementalists are the only ones that can conjure weapons?

Or how guardians and mesmers are the only ones that can create reflect bubbles?

Or how rangers are the only ones that have the swap pet mechanic?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

I'm really sorry if that's the impression my post gave. I just came to GW2 forum looking for new opinions about the state of the game and found this thread. I just answered the OP and then follow last posts.

Of course fora are full of threads based off of tastes and likes, as u say. I would quote them too but unfortunately the time I thought people could just be open-minded has passed. 

Re-reading my post it may sound a bit unpleasant according to yours. But you got my point. And by the way, I felt really disappointed with GW2 after being a victim of hype for months (my fault). I just couldn't find anything to stay on line and play for months. 

Pve was boring, easy, and I was missing some real challange, not just the huge farming to get X cool looking weapon. As I said, this is my opinion and the reason why I left GW2. I'm just looking forward to EQN, my last hope.

Sorry for all the grammatical and/or spelling mistakes. Non native speaker here.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Dont tell them that or heads will start exploding. 

• badbingo10badbingo10 Member Posts: 46

I thoroughly enjoyed the OP. Many newer games are taking things away we never really wanted taking away, and giving us things we really didn't want in return, I couldn't agree more.

• AuderlantAuderlant Member Posts: 3

Unless every MMO from here on out needs to cater to the Trinity fanbase, I think doing away with these rigid roles is refreshing for once. I know these are just games, but the formula of "healers heal people, tanks stand there and take punishment from everyone for extended periods of time, and dps blaze people down in seconds or die in the same vein" is unrealistic and bland.

That being said; Anet made some serious class design flaws, to include:

Elementalists, Thieves, Mesmers, and even Guardians teleporting (all 4 to other players)

Thieves and Mesmers having wide access to invisibility, and other classes accessing it through traits as well

7 out of 8 classes (not warrior) having access to auto-attacking A.I. (Mesmers being completely built around it)

5 classes use a sword, 4 classes use a greatsword (no 2 handed axe? ahhh)

About 3 classes have a.o.e. heals. About 3 classes have boon-stripping. (sprinkled in with not much thought or balance)

I could go on, but not to the point of asking for the trinity back. Maybe just some common sense balancing and diversity.

Also, the game is B2P

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Originally posted by Auderlant

Basically what I'm saying is, GW 2 plays like an MMO designed for QQ, whiner casual mmo gaming children. I couldn't get into it AT ALL. The graphics are  very good, character models are good, the world is impressive looking, but the core mechanics are not for me.. I'm not trying to bash the game. Maybe If I was 12-18 I would respect and enjoy it more. But I'm a mmo gaming vet who started in 1998 with UO, followed by EQ, etc etc. I know a pew pew MMO when I see one, and GW2 is one of those games that caters to children and casual gamers more than hardcore gamers.. I mean, it's F2P, lol

Unless every MMO from here on out needs to cater to the Trinity fanbase, I think doing away with these rigid roles is refreshing for once. I know these are just games, but the formula of "healers heal people, tanks stand there and take punishment from everyone for extended periods of time, and dps blaze people down in seconds or die in the same vein" is unrealistic and bland.

That being said; Anet made some serious class design flaws, to include:

Elementalists, Thieves, Mesmers, and even Guardians teleporting (all 4 to other players)

Thieves and Mesmers having wide access to invisibility, and other classes accessing it through traits as well

7 out of 8 classes (not warrior) having access to auto-attacking A.I. (Mesmers being completely built around it)

5 classes use a sword, 4 classes use a greatsword (no 2 handed axe? ahhh)

About 3 classes have a.o.e. heals. About 3 classes have boon-stripping. (sprinkled in with not much thought or balance)

I could go on, but not to the point of asking for the trinity back. Maybe just some common sense balancing and diversity.

Also, the game is B2P

EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING, THANK YOU!! This is what turned me off of the game, to many classes doing what everyone else can do. If you want to play a game like that, go play FPS games, stay away from MMORPG's! The reason why games like Everquest are a thing of the past is because, Devs are all about making as much money as possible. What do they do? Cater to casuals and fans of other types of genres like FPS games and incorporate those features in our MMORPG's to make more money.. But all they did was create theme park rollercoaster rides where the game gets hyped up, people flock to buy it, and half quit before the 30 day free trial is done, 30% quit after the first 3 months, and by 6 months the game is a wasteland...  This is what I'm talking about! I've literally played more than 20 MMORPG's, most of which are either on life support or have closed down... But people still try to defend these games because they just aren't true MMORPG gamers... It's sad.. :(

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)