Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Skill & Trait Changes Coming Soon

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has updated the Guild Wars 2 blog with a new post by Jonathan Sharp that lays out the reasons and details behind upcoming changes to both skills and traits. According to the post, the changes are necessary to give each class has build diversity.

First off, we’ve got a ton of trait changes coming up. Many traits that were less than desirable have been brought up in effectiveness, while others have been shuffled around and merged together to make room for new traits to be introduced. In doing this, we’ve created several new grandmaster traits for quite a few trait lines. For example: elementalists have a new grandmaster Air trait that allows them to recharge their air attunement, necromancers now have access to the burning condition, and warriors will have an option to remove conditions when using burst abilities.

With these changes in mind, we are going to be making a few builds a little harder to achieve due to their extreme effectiveness. Some traits will go up in tier while increasing in potency to promote build variation.

Read more on the Guild Wars 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Thought they were going to give more weapon skills, and allow people to slot those like the utility skills.... /sigh

The biggest problem that still remains after this change, is at about level 40, there are no active abilities to look forward too, just passive this and passive that.

Well, that was the biggest issue for me, picturing 40 more levels with essentially the same stuff.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Definitely a step in the right direction! I normally run 3 or 4 builds on my ele that are viable for PvE but only one build for PvP. I hope this will change Tuesday. Now bring on slot able weapon skills.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I'm still holding out hope that one day they'll add in a bunch of new quests to track down and obtain special elites and other skills, like GW1.  Even if they're worried about PVP, just make them unusable in PVP, like some skills are unusable under water.

/shrug

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

Same here Bill, I enjoyed skill hunting on guild wars 1. it was challenging and fun... well sometimes it was fun, I had my moments :P

Nice to see a lot of content and changes just as I started playing again.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

meh still too vague. But it seems they going to improve condition builds, but still, with no new skills some classes still going to be underwelming, like condition guardian.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

havent touched the game much since they nerfed engineer a while back...

who was my main.

iam aware the game is huge and theres a lot for the devs to cove- so il revisit the game when they update what i like abt the game.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I can't believe people are complaining about this..lol...ANET has pumped out patch after patch, and these are QUALITY patches. More than any mmo I have ever played, yet every single time I log on here people are complaining because one of their concerns or complaints have not been addressed.  

People also seem to forget this game is F2P, the cash shop is basically null in terms of gameplay.  I spent 60$ a year ago on this game and that's it, how could you not be completely satisfied with this?

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022
    Originally posted by crysent

I can't believe people are complaining about this..lol...ANET has pumped out patch after patch, and these are QUALITY patches. More than any mmo I have ever played, yet every single time I log on here people are complaining because one of their concerns or complaints have not been addressed.  

People also seem to forget this game is F2P, the cash shop is basically null in terms of gameplay.  I spent 60$ a year ago on this game and that's it, how could you not be completely satisfied with this?

Because we love the game and want it to improve in areas that we REALLY think need attention?

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Yeh I don't understand people complaining about the amount of skills in the game.  Each weapon has it's own skills tied to it which can make for some interesting skill load outs that can compliment each other.  Granted not all weapon combinations are optimal, but that also depends on your build, how you play it, and what you are trying to accomplish.  Things will change up slightly once ANet does another tweak pass on these current skills and traits.  Most classes have access to around 10 weapon skills, a finisher, a heal, 3 utility and 1 elite skill.  Then if you didn't like your build you could possibly end up with 16 totally different skills to use.  If it takes more than 16 skills to kill a mob or an enemy player then maybe it's the player that has issues and not the game.  They don't need more skills in the game, just some tweaks which obviously they are doing.  They already said they are working on their core mechanics first before they add new ones. 

It's interesting to see how much people want GW2 to cease being GW2 and turn it into being just like all the other games.  Why don't they just play all those others games instead?  There are plenty to choose from.  I could understand if there were a ton of action combat games that had WvW, no quest hubs, no trinity, and no raids, but whatever.  In the Navy we used to say "a bitching sailor is a happy sailor".  If we applied that to gamers then I guess we would all be ecstatic.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I imagine that after they see how the new trait changes work out, then they'll work on the weapon skills. I would say that is my biggest gripe with the game, is how much disparity there is between the weapons. Some weapons are very fun and work well, while others are a series of clunky feeling skills.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

well ill be happy to see if the new changes work out- but to most of us, the ass boring combat and the pointless endgame is still there. 

For me a good mmo has a huge skillset- wich gw2 fails to deliver hardcore.

3 Games that i always will remember: Shadowbane, Guildwars 1 and Ragnarok. Best experience on my entire life when it comes to *mmos*.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Endgame is mostly pointless because of RNG and is ruining the game for a lot of people. There is myriad of complaint threads about the RNG/gold grind but Anet doesnt seem to care as people are using the gem shop to convert gems to gold. Is a really interesting thread about a couple of guys farming for a legendary pre since almost release and a guy comes in , in a pickup guild group (he hasnt played in months) and ends up getting from the bonus chest a legendary pre on his first time in the fractals. Poor guys been at it putting in so much time and only get blues and greens , this guy comes in who hasnt put in any work at all and ends up with a legendary pre dusk... Thats how bad their RNG system is and why it makes this game feel so utterly unrewarding for anything you do. Im truly glad though they are giving warrior some new remove condition skills because thats really what a warrior lacks. Now if they could make hundred blades mobile like the greatsword guardian spin I would be very happy and play my 80 warrior again.
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

I'm still holding out hope that one day they'll add in a bunch of new quests to track down and obtain special elites and other skills, like GW1.  Even if they're worried about PVP, just make them unusable in PVP, like some skills are unusable under water.

/shrug

Unfortuantely PVP has ruined the "Unique build" in mmos. The only reason game companies care anything about "class balance" is to ensure fair fights in what is suppoe to be the sidenote to the game.  

GW2 lacks a lot of the difficutly and uniquness of Guild Wars 1. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    WvW needs a complete redesign....till thats done all of this means nothing  to me.
  • DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Meh. Won't even touch this game until they remember what made GW 1 a collosus of games. And that is slottable skills and, to a smaller extent, heroes. See, GW 1 was like totally directed towards ENTPs(INTPs, ENFPs and ENTJs as well). Meanwhile GW 2 is more of a...WoWified. You don't need to be a genius to realise that they catered to ISTJs and the like. They completely changed their direction and well...I am not sure that it worked for them. Sure they did receive OMG sales, but they could've had OMGWTFBBQHAX sales if they stayed true to themselves...

Maybe one day eh?

I think it's trying to communicate.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

IMO

Unless they add something that will make it possible to solo high level pve, then this game is over for me!

I have no interest in doing pvp/wvw or dungeons and have completed over 70% of the pve world. I find it both too easy to do the low lvl stuff and too hard to find someone to help cover the high level stuff!

As I said, it is IMO, so no need to comment on this post unless you have something constructive to add!

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

gief Pet Control UI for Necros already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I'm really hoping the Ranger sees some love. 
  • Kendah.kiKendah.ki Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Meh. Won't even touch this game until they remember what made GW 1 a collosus of games. And that is slottable skills and, to a smaller extent, heroes. See, GW 1 was like totally directed towards ENTPs(INTPs, ENFPs and ENTJs as well). Meanwhile GW 2 is more of a...WoWified. You don't need to be a genius to realise that they catered to ISTJs and the like. They completely changed their direction and well...I am not sure that it worked for them. Sure they did receive OMG sales, but they could've had OMGWTFBBQHAX sales if they stayed true to themselves...

Maybe one day eh?

+1

Its not GW anymore.

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    sigh... why anet needs to beat around the bush. If anet is going to implement abilities like force aggro, full heal mode, true crowd control, or just 1-button dps, just say so.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by bcbully

Thought they were going to give more weapon skills, and allow people to slot those like the utility skills.... /sigh

The biggest problem that still remains after this change, is at about level 40, there are no active abilities to look forward too, just passive this and passive that.

Well, that was the biggest issue for me, picturing 40 more levels with essentially the same stuff.

This is how i feel about GW2 myself. The fact that there is no character progression beyond lvl 30 is just so disappointing,  once you've reached that and unlocked your Elite skills, there's nothing new to look forward to and you have 50 more lvls to go to cap.

This aside, im glad they are doing changes to skills and such but a major problem with GW2 is content, and i mean end game content.  Running around through all maps for the 100% map completion is just not fun at all and quickly becomes tedious. The same as for the dungeon spamming. They need to add new systems and new things for people to do once they reach the cap. Its boring to just lvl up character after character just for the story, and then once you're at 80 you remember you have nothing else to do. WvW and PvP may be fun once but, for me, it doesnt keep me playing for long. 

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

While GW2 is a very solid mmo it just misses something.....

I loved doing old contend in WoW like solo dungeons or raids, you always get scaled down or up and it takes away something...

Its just 1 big pve easy mode farm fest from level 1 to 80.

WvW hasnt got love since its birth....

I wished some things would change a littlebit more like many already have said here.

Its still a very solid mmo, but you just get bored real fast by all that scaling -_-

• johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Ya,that's the reason i gave up on gw2 was the scaling,didn't feel like i was doing anything to level up since i stayed the same all the way through relative to the areas,making all the events made it that way.