Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So uhm, are people forgetting that...

cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142

This is a SOE developed game? Why are people hyping it? Because it has the EQ brand? Trust me, I would love to see a good sandboxy MMO.

I would be extremely careful, just because of that.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Comments

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by cyandk

This is a SOE developed game? Why are people hyping it? Because it has the EQ brand? Trust me, I would love to see a good sandboxy MMO.

*Sigh*

Here we go...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Welp, if you follow the threads here, you'll see that there are actually only a small handful of people foaming at the mouth over this.  They keep making hype threads, perpetuate and enhance the speculation, and take Smedley's word like it came from the lips of the Messiah. 

The rest of us are more realistic.  "Wait and See" seems to be the wiser choice of action if you are at all aware of SOE and Smed's reputation.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

You're thinking of the old SOE.  The one that killed SWG.

They may have turned a new leaf.  Certainly not holding my breath but, for now I am hopeful.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Entinerint

They may have turned a new leaf.  Certainly not holding my breath but, for now I am hopeful.

You abbreviated Lucas Arts wrong, its LA, Lucas had 100% final say, business speak or not to keep future franchise opportunities alive.  I do not like a lot of things they have done, but if anything, they can be blamed for not fighting for more control over SWG, so they wouldn't of had to totally change the game because LA wanted it to be done.  No I have no document to 'prove' it, but it was fairly common knowledge that Lucas had final creative say, and I had never seen a developer totally change a game like that before, making me think it wasn't a 'option'.

So SWG aside, I see no reason to not trust SoE, any more than I would trust anyone else, which means, I don't trust them....I will judge them on the final product.  I cannot play hype, reputation or anything else, but a game, so I will not condemn them or anything else, until I see the game.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Xthos

You abbreviated Lucas Arts wrong, its LA, Lucas had 100% final say, business speak or not to keep future franchise opportunities alive.  I do not like a lot of things they have done, but if anything, they can be blamed for not fighting for more control over SWG, so they wouldn't of had to totally change the game because LA wanted it to be done.  No I have no document to 'prove' it, but it was fairly common knowledge that Lucas had final creative say, and I had never seen a developer totally change a game like that before, making me think it wasn't a 'option'.

So SWG aside, I see no reason to not trust SoE, any more than I would trust anyone else, which means, I don't trust them....I will judge them on the final product.  I cannot play hype, reputation or anything else, but a game, so I will not condemn them or anything else, until I see the game.

Well said.

Normal people play games for fun and when it stops being fun they move on.

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

It is not so much about trusting SOE or Smedley it is looking at the landscape and seeing that themepark MMOs are dying, they are like Call of Duty now, they last a month or two and then everyone moves onto the next MMO. SWTOR emblazoned this into my brain. A 200 million dollar endeavor that has less than a million subscribers and had to go free to play. And yes I DO know the details such as their utter incompetence in such details as stating that they would absolutely not let anyone have a detailed combat log, ever, this is when the raiders left. But I digress.

Who is not free to play?

WoW and EVE and um I think that is it.

I have also played Aion, and Age of Wushu and the coming Arch Age is being published by Trion and I was in End of Nations beta and I simply do not think that their chances of translating the Asian MMO to Western standards is going to bring about anything other than an AION duplicate.

EQN is the only chance of a AAA company making a AAA full loot PVP sandbox title. The market is ripe with all of the themepark degradation including WoW losing nearly 1.5 million subscribers this last quarter alone.

Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree but I saw it coming a mile away and I am outside of the inside of MMO development. i saw ArchAge coming a mile away what with EVE's continual growth.

Maybe SOE will do it, or maybe they will try to please evryone and have a ton of themepark in it, we will have to see but all I can do is hope for a full EVE style sandbox in the world of Norrath with goblins and dwarves and wizards and druids.

That is also why the "hype" and discussions on these forums are so vital, they let us send our feedback, let the developers touch on the pulse of the genre and see if they are headed in the right direction. So far everyone is not even thinking in terms of EVE or Age of Wushu or even Darkfall or Shadowbane, it is all regurgitation of WoW type themeparks and what will work based on that paradigm, ignoring the fact that the paradigm is no longer working, everyone is sick of it.

Aug 2 cannot come soon enough.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Xthos

By killed SWG, I meant the NGE/CU not the actual execution.  That was all SOE.

But overall you're right, we can't play hype.  My faith in SOE was certainly bolstered after participating in the Planetside 2 Beta.  If the EQ3 devs are as conscientious and open as the PS2 devs, EQ3 will be a hell of a game.  If they get all wrapped up in their egos and start thinking that they know best, then it's in trouble.  And it's not just about listening to the community, it's all about HOW you listen to the community and how you react to community feedback, because often-times what a community says it wants might only be symptomatic of a bigger issue or desire.  The best MMO devs are the ones who can see that and read between the whines.

• DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112

SOE made SWG. SWG was my favorite MMO, nothing else comes close. For this reason alone SOE gets another chance in my book. 

Yes, EQN will probably fail since most new mmos suck. But so far this is the only game company around releasing a triple A sandbox that also has a history of making mmos that I enjoy. That's enough for me to jump in the hype wagon until at least August 2nd.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I know some of the people working for EQNext, from EQ and some other areas, which is pretty much why I'm interested a bit.

The main programmer for EQNext was the main programmer for EQ actually.

Here is his farewell message to the EQ community before he went off to EQNext, if anyone cares about stuff like that.

Also, he's a really nice guy.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

SOE has lost any good graces with me, I am sitting in the shadows on this one, with a wait and see attitude.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

SWG was all Lucas Arts. INCLUDING the final execution. They wanted ZERO competition with SWTOR so the license was ended for SWG. You can bitch and moan all you want but the downfall of SWG was Lucas Arts.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

john smedley

that is all

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by aleos

john smedley

that is all

I chortled... ;)

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by dejoblue
    SWG was all Lucas Arts. INCLUDING the final execution. They wanted ZERO competition with SWTOR so the license was ended for SWG. You can bitch and moan all you want but the downfall of SWG was Lucas Arts.

The reason why it wasnt a huge success in the first place was also LA-releasing it too soon.  Had they let SoE properly finish the game it might not have been so bad at launch (SWG had great ideas, but other than the crafting/housing the launch product was pathetic)

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

It was cool to hate SoE a few years ago , there are a few holdouts left. In my experience the SoE haters generally have very little reason for the bashing, besides SWG of course. That's ignoring that SoE makes quality games and life supports others which would have otherwise been shutdown.

/shrug

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

What makes this little hype-fanboy-hater war so utterly fascinating is just how many horses are going to be in this race.

SOE still supports EQ MAC for goodnes sake, less than 1000 players as well as Vanguard Saga of Heroes. cmon people SOE has heart FAR more than ANY other MMO company out there. haha, gimme a break Smedley is awesome and Dave Georgeson is the new messiah! just look at his linkedin account he has saved more games than a rat can wiggle a tail at!

mkmmmm

cheeese

Originally posted by Redemp

It was cool to hate SoE a few years ago , there are a few holdouts left. In my experience the SoE haters generally have very little reason for the bashing, besides SWG of course. That's ignoring that SoE makes quality games and life supports others which would have otherwise been shutdown.

/shrug

I think you've been out of the loop, or missed the boat.  There is an EQ2 European community that would like to tell you of a craptastic SOE+Smedley PR fiasco in the last 18 months.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Telondariel

/shrug

I think you've been out of the loop, or missed the boat.  There is an EQ2 European community that would like to tell you of a craptastic SOE+Smedley PR fiasco in the last 18 months.

Cliff notes?  I'm not familiar with this scandal.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

op is right you cannot hype this yet there is 0 info on it its insaine to do so.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I have no ill will towards SOE. Even if they changed the game I used to play in a direction I didn't like, I see it as futile to somehow hold a grudged against anyone over a videogame. They will either create a product I will be willing to spend money on, or they won't. I may be hyped for EQN, but I am an adult and will not breakdown in tears if it somehow disappoints me.
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Telondariel

/shrug

Cliff notes?  I'm not familiar with this scandal.

It started off January of last year.  A community announcement (amounting to a bomb) was dropped on the official forums: the EU community was going to be segregated from the rest of EQ2's community "so that they could benefit from better local services" in a deal with PSS1, a German TV company.   This is when the FIRST multi-thousand protesting post thread started (two more were to follow). 

Two months in, thousands of feedback replies, hundreds of account cancellations..and silence.  Smed and Dave didn't have the cahones to reply to their European customers: they sent in a CR rep and shortly thereafter a newly transferred Piestro to take the heat.  Smokescreens, non-answers, diffusions, and time delays went on and on for over half a year.  In that time, 2 other multi-thousand post threads were created and closed.  

Smed didn't address the community until after the 6 month mark.  This was last year.  

So..trust is not a high factor here with what he says and does.

This discussion has been closed.