Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmm. Not so great.

Comments

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    final fantasy were always more about slower more tactical combat, it will never be action based combat like we see in tera, gw, etc.

Funny that; the vanilla release WAS partially action based.  It required user input to attack, along with being able to dodge skills (near impossible unless you were in Japan) and had bonuses based on where you were positioned in around your tartget.  Might still have the latter two now, but I wouldn't know.

After the massive disaster and complete 180 by the dev team, FFXIV became FFXI-2.  The 1.19 patch (combat system overhaul) made me completely quit the game; I didn't enjoy playing anymore after that.

ARR is no different; thus I will not be playing it.  Hell, not like SE is even responding to my support inquiries anyway.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I for one am happy with the game and it's combat style.  I'm sick of the new mmo's being all "We have true action skill based combat!!"  Then all the game has is people spamming all their attacks as fast as they can while bunny hopping non stop and or rolling all over the ground.

This slow paced combat is what does it for me.  You guys can go play nightcrawlers in Tera or GW2 lol

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

So far my major gripe is the damn global cooldown.  I wish skills would simply take as long as their animation lasts, then you can move on to the next.  Would rather be able to choose between slower large weapons, faster weapons, etc etc.

Sigh.  Hoping it gets better.

Edit to add:  Keep in mind, this comes from a player who actually does not like the action combat of new games.  I still cannot stand the global cooldown.  Wish it were done better, more smoothly, so that each skill simply took some time to use..  Would seem less restrictive and more organic.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Dakeru

I'm starting to think people played a different game than I did. "Combat isn't everything - it's all about content"

What content? Those generic kill 10 rats / pick up 10 items / move quest item from A to B quests?

Hell even Scarlet Blade came up with more reasonable reasons to kill mobs than this game.

Wait until they fully drop the NDA and read some quest descriptions to see for yourself.

Personally I am unbelievable disappointed in Yoshi since I had faith in him. 

Now I'm only expecting a note of sepuku in one of his future letters.

What was it about the content that you didn't like? I understand that quests right outside of town may very well be generic, but what about the main scenario quests? I'm worried about ARR for two main reasons. #1 being if enough people will embrace this themepark game for the long haul. #2 being endgame content. If it ends up being too easy, I could see people dropping this game by the 6 month mark or earlier.

I played Version 1.0 up to patch 1.20. I did not play patches 1.21-1.23. I would have to say that up to 1.20 I only found 2 events to be challenging. That would be the Ifrit and Garuda fights. Sad thing is, I learned the Ifrit fight after my 2nd try. Garuda was a bit tougher. I know that there are a few endgame "hardcore" content like the Crystal Tower, Odin, and Behemoth (might be missing something else).

But how hardcore will those events actually be? He is even the process in obtaining relic weapons a bit easier. I mean if people clear all of that content within 3 months (except the Tower) then what is left?

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

But how hardcore will those events actually be? He is even the process in obtaining relic weapons a bit easier. I mean if people clear all of that content within 3 months (except the Tower) then what is left?

Other classes, crafting, leveling LS mates; there is more to a game than just end game raids/dungeons.

Originally posted by dreamscaper

It's a mixed bag. Compared to 1.0, ARR is polished and highly optimized. However, the gameplay is unbelievably generic. I will be very surprised if anyone coming from WoW, LotRO, EQ2, Aion, Tera, or Rift lasts more than a month or two with this game. ARR is well-done, but it's such a poster child for the "been there, done that" feeling that is currently plaguing the genre.

Yeah this is what worries me. Been playing since 2.0 alpha. The game is overall way better than 1.0 in almost every department. But it is the been-there-done-that feeling that worries me. I'm fine with it (to some extent) but I wonder how others will take it. Now I know I've been told that I shouldn't worry what others think, but in an MMORPG, it can have an impact. When 1.0 came out I was part of a network of 8 link shells ranging from 25-75 members per guild. By the end of 1.20 that was condensed to 1 link shell with 4 people before I bowed out. I hope that this so called "generic" feeling on top of how easy the game may end up being doesn't result in the same mass exodus that 1.0 had: and not for the same reasons.

This weekend they allowed us to play with our 1.0 characters. I have all of my DOW and DOM at level 50. Let’s see how combat plays out.

Originally posted by NetSage
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Other classes, crafting, leveling LS mates; there is more to a game than just end game raids/dungeons.

I already have all of my DOW and DOM at level 50. All of my crafts and land classes are in the early 20's. I could level those but it will depend on how the system works this time around. From the 8 link shells I was involved with (25-75 members per), I did end up pl'ing quite a few folks. The problem is that they all ended up quitting, except for 4 people... total. So personally it has to be more than those 3 reasons given. We’ll see!

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

I for one am happy with the game and it's combat style.  I'm sick of the new mmo's being all "We have true action skill based combat!!"  Then all the game has is people spamming all their attacks as fast as they can while bunny hopping non stop and or rolling all over the ground.

This slow paced combat is what does it for me.  You guys can go play nightcrawlers in Tera or GW2 lol

Ya I do have to say the action combat , was kinda lame sometimes, when it came to you being a range class and the mob being melee. you could do it but what was the point by the time you stuck them froze them or what not you could have hit one of your other 3 strong attack abilites while standing toe to toe, and then just kill the mob..:P

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

I'm starting to think people played a different game than I did. "Combat isn't everything - it's all about content"

What content? Those generic kill 10 rats / pick up 10 items / move quest item from A to B quests?

Hell even Scarlet Blade came up with more reasonable reasons to kill mobs than this game.

Wait until they fully drop the NDA and read some quest descriptions to see for yourself.

the quests descriptions...

why is all the npc dailoogue split up inot so many chat bubbles? they say 3-4 sentences, instead of it all being in one, each sentence is it s own bubble (sometimes just a couple of wors)

the game just feels like it s sifted through molasses.everything is slow. quest givers. combat. interacting with a quest 'clicky'. it takes more time to accept a quest than actually do it. takes 10 times longer to run to it than do it.  if the combat was actually tactical it would be fine to be slow.

but its not horrible, multi class system, graphics, the qorld, all very nice.  i dont want action combat, or instant gratification. i just dont want to feel like im slogging through mud all the time.  found myself scraming "yes i accept the f-ing quest!' more than once as npc's told me their story as to why they needed these poor creatures slaughtered.

i find myself wanting to like this game, but it just feels a chore to play it :/

the more i think, the game is just kinda boring...and without the FF logo on it probably would be treading water in the sea of mediocrity along with all the other 'asian' mmo's out their.

Agree about the quest dialogues.  It is tiresome after a minute.

Another gripe I have is the invisible walls everywhere.  For instance.. running across a bridge.. can't jump into the river.  You're bottlenecked over the river via the bridge only. 

Not sold on the game yet, but not giving up either.  Gonna keep playin.  It does seem quite polished, and has an excellent atmosphere with the visuals and music.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by AIMonster

I think the big difference is (and a Signet Warrior in GW2 is the only exception here - though that's a solo leveling build and ineffective in PvP and higher end PvE) is that all the abilities in GW2 you actively use.  Actually Warrior is probably the worst example of GW2's combat as they are the simplest class to play.  FFXIV may have plenty of abilities, but the jobs boil down to hitting the same rotations over and over again for effective play.  You'll use minute long+ cooldowns for buffs and such, and maybe occasionally a situational skill here and there, but for the most part it boils down to some boring rotations.  CNJ was pretty much just spam Cure up to level 25 with maybe a Medica every once in a while if I had to.  GLD was run in and spam Flash (or whatever the AoE enmity generation was) then get MP back up with Fast Blade + Riot Blade and repeat EVERY single pull with no variation whatsoever.  Sure I used the short term buffs like Rampart, but the GLD boiled down to that rotation.  Maybe other jobs are different, but that's my experience with those two.

Then again, perhaps my experience is an unfortunate one that left a bad taste in my mouth because I played the wrong class.

To me that's how the combat felt, and generally I like to play Melee toons... the warrior really looked like my sorta class from just glancing at it.  I am sorry if I miss represented the game based off my limited experience with the class I chose.

I agree with your analysis of the combat of FFXIV up to 25, however, is not most combat in most RPG's like that at level 25?

I remember in TERA I used but one healing spell as a mystic until level 60 when I finally got an AoE hot as well.  Sure I had other abilities but I only really used that one.

In WoW I was recently leveling a warlock... got it to level 40 a few days ago, really only use about 3-4 buttons in my DPS rotation at that point.

I guess what I'm saying is that from what I'm reading about the abilities at higher level it looks like FFXIV has a lot of the same depth to its combat the other games I really enjoy have too (like WoW or FFXI or even TERA)

Exactly, its the same old combat everyone has seen a million times before. Which is why they are bored of it.

Except there are many people that could care less about the combat, as long as it's functional.  No matter how innovative combat is in any MMO, after doing it over and over, it gets old.  It's all about the content, what other things the game has to offer, if that's not there, no matter how good the combat is, noone is going to play it.

Oh I know, I never said it was bad. I am just pointing out why others are saying that it doesn't appeal to them. Laughing-man fails to understand it. The combat is functional, but offers nothing new or exciting. Its definitely the weakest aspect of ARR.

As I said previously, I will be playing the game. But combat isn't its strong point.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by tokini

why is all the npc dailoogue split up inot so many chat bubbles? they say 3-4 sentences, instead of it all being in one, each sentence is it s own bubble (sometimes just a couple of wors)

the game just feels like it s sifted through molasses.everything is slow. quest givers. combat. interacting with a quest 'clicky'. it takes more time to accept a quest than actually do it. takes 10 times longer to run to it than do it.  if the combat was actually tactical it would be fine to be slow.

but its not horrible, multi class system, graphics, the qorld, all very nice.  i dont want action combat, or instant gratification. i just dont want to feel like im slogging through mud all the time.  found myself scraming "yes i accept the f-ing quest!' more than once as npc's told me their story as to why they needed these poor creatures slaughtered.

i find myself wanting to like this game, but it just feels a chore to play it :/

the more i think, the game is just kinda boring...and without the FF logo on it probably would be treading water in the sea of mediocrity along with all the other 'asian' mmo's out their.

I'm guessing you don't like story or finding out about lore via quests. Just so you know you can skip dialog and cut scenes ,anyway sorry you didn't enjoy your time hope you find something to your liking.

You are assuming too much.

Story is something great, I can't speak for tokini but I always read quest descriptions enjoying the lore.

And this is where FF fails horribly.

Quest: Bla bla bla bla bla *endless dialogue of why squirrels are the devil and have to die*

Quest. Bla bla bla bla bla *endless dialogue of why bugs are the devil and have to die*

If it isn't those kill 10 rats quest then it's pick up 10 items lying around right next to the quest giver, who for really mysterious reason can't kneel down and pick them up himself.

Final Fantasy has always been about great dialogues and characterization. Now the characters just seem 2 dimensional and bore you to death with badly written lines.

Harbinger of Fools
  • jskeets916jskeets916 Member Posts: 154

I'm guessing you don't like story or finding out about lore via quests. Just so you know you can skip dialog and cut scenes ,anyway sorry you didn't enjoy your time hope you find something to your liking.

Story is something great, I can't speak for tokini but I always read quest descriptions enjoying the lore.

Quest: Bla bla bla bla bla *endless dialogue of why squirrels are the devil and have to die*

Quest. Bla bla bla bla bla *endless dialogue of why bugs are the devil and have to die*

If it isn't those kill 10 rats quest then it's pick up 10 items lying around right next to the quest giver, who for really mysterious reason can't kneel down and pick them up himself.

Final Fantasy has always been about great dialogues and characterization. Now the characters just seem 2 dimensional and bore you to death with badly written lines.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, as i am entitled to disagree entirely.

I've played FFXI for 5 years and 1.0 since launch, ignoring the story to push through gameplay for the most part., After testing phase 3 most of the weekend i have really come to enjoy the job Yoshi-P and his team have done.  The world is much more active and alive than the previous mmo's, and despite testing my lvl 50's this weekend and enjoying myself greatly, I have most enjoyed grinding my marauder to 10.

Again just my opinion but i find the story much more relative/intriguing in ARR

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Combat...clunky?  Everything has worked as it should have that I can tell.  I'm playing lancer so I don't know about your class but it has been fun and the controls are very rsponsive.  Just finished my third dungeon tonight and I have to say that I'm always aware of how I should be playing my class and the positional damage and status effects work without a hitch....
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    [mod edit]
  • nightowl79anightowl79a Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Fraught

Graphics are A1. Character creation average. Combat (apart from archer) not so good.

So what's the big attraction? Just my thoughts after 3 beta weekends.

What? I only know of a few games with more character creation options, Combat eh I give you that one its a bit repetitive. Graphics are pretty good, again only know a few mmorpgs(currently out at least) with as good of graphics. I think for my the big attraction is it's a final fantasy mmorpg and I still have fond memory of ff11. Not to mentions I have 3-4 irl friends excited about this game, witch means they rub some of their excitement off on me.  I actually got to play some of the beta this weekend, and I had a lot of fun. The game feels really final fantasy like. and left me with a pretty good feeling for the release. I'll defiantly be buying the game, hell its only $29.00. There's some really crappy games out there with a higher price tag. 

on the contrary, i like those things, like being sent on a quest where by i enter some cave, find some bit of lore on a scroll or statue, etc.   even just running around the world, finding some ruins that have no purpose beyiond adding flavor to the world, i enjoy those sort of things. as i said it just feels as though its all delivered in a very ponderous manner.

i actually do like this game somewhat, i intend to give it more time.

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38

I feel bad for enjoying this game, since there are so many that don't... 

I also feel bad for enjoying nearly every mmorpg i've played besides GW2 and Elsword. I've played over 15+ mmorpgs at this point, and I've had a blast playing all of them. Even if I don't play them or stick to them for years, if I enjoyed playing it, it was worth it in my eyes, yet there is so much hate for some of the games I actually enjoyed playing.

Am I not supposed to like this game? Is there some flaw that i'm missing? I find the combat, the world, and the dialog pretty quirky and fun. There's a lot of complaints and people asking for change, but I actually like how it is. I'm conflicted, i'm not supposed to be having fun with this game right?

Is it really that awful? So far this has been one of my favorite mmorpgs I've played yet.

Maybe I just have bad taste... :(

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Two points - be sure not to be calling each other out, because people prefer different things and "Hey ________, you're wrong, because __________________" is way different than " ________________ doesn't have a clue/is stupid/has no life" etc.

And be sure not to go beyond the current NDA. Believe me, it's easier for us too when there is none in place.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

Another issue I'm having lately is the result of choosing Archer.  Seems to be a common theme amongst newer MMO's, where archers don't really feel like archers, but rather casters.

That applies pretty well in this case.  No arrows.  Weird sounds.  More like I'm casting spells with a bow than engaging in physical combat.

Originally posted by Calypsx

I feel bad for enjoying this game, since there are so many that don't... 

I also feel bad for enjoying nearly every mmorpg i've played besides GW2 and Elsword. I've played over 15+ mmorpgs at this point, and I've had a blast playing all of them. Even if I don't play them or stick to them for years, if I enjoyed playing it, it was worth it in my eyes, yet there is so much hate for some of the games I actually enjoyed playing.

Am I not supposed to like this game? Is there some flaw that i'm missing? I find the combat, the world, and the dialog pretty quirky and fun. There's a lot of complaints and people asking for change, but I actually like how it is. I'm conflicted, i'm not supposed to be having fun with this game right?

Is it really that awful? So far this has been one of my favorite mmorpgs I've played yet.

Maybe I just have bad taste... :(

that is always a possibility lol

i have to say that after a few more hours of play today, im getting more used to the games 'style', and enjoying it a lot more. i also switched from a thaumaturge (dont know why i picked that, i never am able to enjoy casters) to a marauder, which has been a lot more fun.

a agree with your statement about enjoying most mmo's, as well. even games like champions and SWTOR, which imho are deeply flawed in places, i have played for a few months at least. most games are just average, and as such may not hold long term attention. very few i consider awful (STO comes to mind quickly)

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by redcapp

Another issue I'm having lately is the result of choosing Archer.  Seems to be a common theme amongst newer MMO's, where archers don't really feel like archers, but rather casters.

That applies pretty well in this case.  No arrows.  Weird sounds.  More like I'm casting spells with a bow than engaging in physical combat.

OMG yes!  I love archers in fantasy settings, but like you said lately they dont have that T'Wang! :) . Im all for a bit of magic to enhance an archers abilities (Ala EarthDawn,P&P). Plus when Im playing an archer, I like to see my bow and Quiver ON my character as well. 

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    ive been playing the beta only upto lvl 12 to be fair the graphics are excellent but apart from that the games very average also I agree my Archer feels more like a mage with a bow to really change an mmo these days would love to see something like body shots with a bow by that I mean hit a mob in the leg to slow it down hit it in the chest and just bounce of armor or something guess im asking a lot but I can dream :)
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    to me a bow and arrow class will never feel like a bow and arrow class in any mmo until i can play it like a shooter game.
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

You have a selective memory of what Final Fantasy is. 

In reality, Final Fantasy (my favorite series of all time) is 70 percent grind, repeated killing the same monsters to level up, so you can be at the appropriate level to deal with the story elements. 

This game does some great story animations, and it really is sucking me in.  Sure you have the quests i loathe (kill this many x) but I notice that the story quests don't do that (and class quests). There are enemies that show up but you don't know how many or how long. There are even phases and cut scenes that really draw you in, ala final fantasy. This game actually feels more like a final fantasy than 13 (and more than likely 15) ever imagine to be. 

I hate the fetch quests and such, so i just roam around the land, kill random mobs and do FATE quests until I can continue the story and class quests.  

I have also not tried Guildleves yet but I hear there are quite different as well.