Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your most deep and intricate mmorpg you ever played?

Comments

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I haven't been playing MMOs as long as most of you, but out of the newer ones I've played over the last six years, it would be:

1. Eve - (not sure this counts since never really got into it due to the learning curve)

2. The Secret World - it has the same basic mechanics as other MMOs but the quests are on a much higher difficulty scale, and the game has kicked my butt more than a few times.

3. Xsyon

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

I haven't been playing MMOs as long as most of you, but out of the newer ones I've played over the last six years, it would be:

1. Eve - (not sure this counts since never really got into it due to the learning curve)

2. The Secret World - it has the same basic mechanics as other MMOs but the quests are on a much higher difficulty scale, and the game has kicked my butt more than a few times.

3. Xsyon

What was your experience like on this game 'Xsyon'? 

Was going to step into that game a while back, just never got around to it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

TSW has depth of story but I don't think it was deep in any other area. I am an old AO player myself, the scripting was first rate, I used to run a nano databank for the guild. They could type in commands and see what we had then send me an ingame mail to send them what they wanted.

So AO was certainly a deep game, modern MMO's are not. But this is true of the gaming industry as a whole. As the Ex CEO of EA said, "We are going to make games so simple your mum could play them." They kicked him out, unfortunately the type of games he advocated are still very much with us.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

There is a couple of different ways a MMORPG can be considered complicated. One such way is through story, quests (or lack thereof), dungeon design, and the over all world setting. The other way a game can be complex is through its' mechanics such as: number of classes, skill set up, the complexity and variety of gear, group dynamic and class dependency, etc. Some old school games it took a bit of effort just to know what kind of gear to wear and the spreadsheet warriors would spend weeks or months analyzing it. These things considered is how I came up with the top most deep and intricate MMORPGs.

1. Star Wars Galaxies: Super complex sand box game. Jedi had to be unlocked and one had to risk perma death in doing so. Best crafting system ever too. Non-combat roleplay as entertainers and tavern owners. Bounty hunter system. Non-instanced player housing. This game just seems to have endless possibilities.

2. Everquest 1 and 2: Everquest 1 mostly for the huge world and no maps so nobody knew where anything was in t he beginning. Later on Everquest developed skill trees to accommodate thousands of Alternate Advancements. Included EQ2 in this because they launched with 24 different classes with each class having 40 to 60 abilities. For example before stat consolidation an Assassin could do poison damage with INT start while another Assassin could focus on direct melee through the STR stat. Melee mages and melee priests along with other weird builds were possible like scouts that could tank with the right buffs.

3. Lineage II: Had a huge world and tonns of complexities going for. To this day I still don't even know how the manor system works. Castle seiges and large scale PvP. There was also multi-classing which led to some rather unique character builds.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Without a doubt Asheron's Call.  There Is something special about your 1st MMO and seeing AC was my 1st I feel awfully special knowing I played 1 of the finest and most complex MMO's to ever grace this earth.  Wish Turbine or one/some of the original developers would crowd fund an identical game with modern graphics and combat system.

Me too, I'd love to play an updated Asheron's Call.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53

1:Tera (flawed enchanting system, weapon locked classes and no endgame killed what could have been the best mmorpg without any others close to it)

2:World of warcraft.

3:Rift

Any other mmorpg I've tried has been a massive clusterfuck of fail

• JakzyJakzy Member Posts: 68
    Neverwinter nights, I sure miss the feeling that game gave me :/
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by 7imelord
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1

3. Xsyon

What was your experience like on this game 'Xsyon'? 

Was going to step into that game a while back, just never got around to it.

It was ok, though I did not play it long. It kind of forces you to have to group into "tribes" in order to get anything done, or at least rely on trade with others to get tools to get resources you need to build and all that. This is fine for most people, but when I first start a game I prefer to do things solo as I learn the ropes and get a feel for the game. So I found the grouping thing to be a little off putting, especially since joining an established tribe meant that they had already built up their areas substantially, and I like to build on my own terms. The community is very friendly though, yet very small.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Swg
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    1. Star Wars Galaxies
    2. EVE Online
    3. Uhh... it kinda falls off quickly after that
    No other MMO I've tried do I consider that deep or intricate. LOTRO has a lot to do, so I'd consider that. PotBS had a nice economy. I'm hoping I get to add The Repopulation up there in the coming year; also EQN.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

SWG

AO

EVE

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

EVE

Star Wars Galaxies

Anarchy Online

Ultima Online

Fallen Earth

Ryzom

Mortal Online

Originally posted by aleos

EVE

Star Wars Galaxies

Anarchy Online

Ultima Online

Fallen Earth

Ryzom

Mortal Online

I forgot about that game Ryzom and only played it for a short while, I do remember that game being awkward at first, but very interesting to say the least. I wish I would have put more time into that game just to see where it lead me.

Fallen Earth I did however enjoy for months, I just burnout on the whole Apoc stuff, but definitely was a fun game for me before it went to F2P.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Asheron's Call

Star Wars Galaxies

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    In 1999 I had never played any MMORPG and by that fact alone Everquest was very complex and scary. I was so overwhelmed by everything and I was learning everyday playing it. Then perhaps Everquest 2 perhaps because of the tradeskill and various systems that made it deep.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Rikus25Rikus25 Member Posts: 82
    To me thats easy. It was Galaxies. Still looking for an SWG clone. :(
  • VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

1. Dark Age of Camelot. Playing a celt spear hero on Hib/Lance was the most fun I've ever had in gaming, especially knowing I was outnumbered almost 3-1 by albs and having about the same population as mids. It was great killing people in RvR and getting my realm ranks up. No other game has ever come close to DAoC.

2. Fallen Earth. It was fun to craft everything I used, and the world was huge.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

1. AO

2. EVE

3. SWG

4. Ultima Online

5. Secret World

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

Originally posted by Rikus25
    To me thats easy. It was Galaxies. Still looking for an SWG clone. :(

Aren't will all.

I believe 'The Repopulation' may have some similarities to our old SWG in it's golden era, however we won't be seeing any lightsabers and space missions.

I believe what made SWG magic was also the settings and locations you could visit and say, hey, I remember this location in the movie. Especially walking into the Mos Eisleys cantina for the very 1st time and the same music from the movie was now coming through your speakers as your character walks across the bar.

SWG did have immersion in it's game, at least to players that remembered the movies as kids. I personally miss riding my Dewback that I tamed and seeing Rancors off in the distant. Ahhh, the good ole days of mmorpgs (bugs and all).

• Jester135Jester135 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    They need to remake AO -.- I miss my atrox enforcer
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Club Penguin
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    UO
    Originally posted by Jester135
    They need to remake AO -.- I miss my atrox enforcer

Agreed.

I managed to get a email from Funcom just recently since it's been 12 years since the release of Anarchy Online. 

In their news they state that they condensed to 1 server and another update on their graphic update for their game.

I thought about resubbing for ole times sakes and see how much as changed.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    EvE, Shadowbane. Both because of player interactions and politis.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I thought Eve Online was the most complicated.  I quit after a few months because I felt like I was back at work working on excel spreadsheets.

;-)