Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Next Gen Game changer? Lets take a poll.

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

This game looks graphicly beautiful, and the most interactive I have ever seen a game in my entire life.  What do you guys think about this being the new benchmark for mmorpg's in the future?   I personaly think its going to set the bar for any future mmorpg ever created.

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it had the potential to be.  but the devs themselves have told us it more of a multi-player es game now than an mmo.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Honestly, I don't see it, or many games these days, as an MMO. Heavily instancing and never seeing your enemy open world besides in 1 zone? I don't understand that logic personally.

I love the fact that items in the world are intractable, as they are in all TES games.
    I like the direction that they are taking for combat.

I don't like the destruction of an open world to the KING of open world RPGs. It boggles my mind that it was the first thing to go and I am jaded by that move.

As it stands now, I won't be buying unless I can get into a beta. I am more than hoping to be proven wrong. I hope that this is the game changing MMO that everyone wants it to be. I just don't see it. GW2, Tera, Rift, FFXIV, Aion, Darkfall UW, were all suppose to make huge impacts and really define a new genre. The only thing I am seeing a repetition of is mediocrity and that is really disappointing. Some things these games did well but overall it is just another let down one after the other.

I don't see this title being any different.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

I think so.

As long as it keeps the Elder Scrolls feel it should do a lot better then most at the very least.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

This game is going to be a huge disappointment to ES fans. It's going to be an mmo and it will have mmo features but it's not going to be skyrim with multiplayer mode and that's what most fans really seemed to want. What they're getting is another themepark mmo with an ES name tacked onto it.

I picked no but wait and see because it is still in development and things can always change.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Yes it will be. The best mmo in last decade for sure.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    So far it seems to be revolving around PvP not Elder Scrolls as it should be. My personal prediction is high initial sales and sharp drop of players after couple of months.
  • rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    GW2 reskined with some slightly better  crafting?...yep thats NEXT GEN if i ever heard it ..It's sandbox..hell even sandpark or go home...EQN didn't swap their methods for nothing...Titan re-eclipsing?...it's a sign yo
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It might do well on console, although the competition there is probably going to damage it. The PC is almost certainly going to be a lost cause though, and wouldn't mind betting that its because of this that they are attempting to re-market the game by porting it to console, in a way, because its such a heavily instanced game, it does sort of suit consoles, but with so many F2P titles also heading to console, some of which are already out now, i would not at all be surprised if the game ended up being a 'stillborn'. The game has flaws that may prevent the game from gaining much, if any popularity. Niche games can work on the PC. Eve is a prime example of that, but can a console game survive with those kinds of numbers? I don't think there was ever a chance of this game becoming a 'next gen game changer' but it may be a case example for other games developers. While at the moment Sony has all the advantages in the console market, its unclear just how big that market will be, how fast it will grow, and in what direction. Either way, to me it looks like a huge gamble, whether it pays off at all, remains to be seen.image

wish i had the patience to be so eloquent...but alas lol...i.e. what he said :)

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by DamonVile

This game is going to be a huge disappointment to ES fans. It's going to be an mmo and it will have mmo features but it's not going to be skyrim with multiplayer mode and that's what most fans really seemed to want. What they're getting is another themepark mmo with an ES name tacked onto it.

I picked no but wait and see because it is still in development and things can always change.

The feedback out of E3 so far generally disagrees with you..and unlike you they tried it.

There Is Always Hope!

yes nothing innovative, same old bullshit in ESO form.....they could've done so much more...SOE and maybe since blizz pulled back since they are finally listening...i hate to see ES go down this road...but gl stoppin a hi speed train

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I picked no because all the cool kids told me to.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    nope, looks like a desperate attempt to cash in on the ES franchise; it's a pity, I was more than excited until they started revealing bits of game design....
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Graphically impressive, sure.  But I don't think that on its own is enough to make a game "next gen".

AOC was drool over graphics in its day.  Look how that worked out in the long term.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    no, no, NO! The only impact of this game on the market will be to show developers of how NOT to do it in the future. This will be the last game, hopefully, with huge budget, no originality and mind-numbing gameplay, relying solely on marketing, hype and fame game-world... ... oh who am I kidding..

REALITY CHECK

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

No it won't , Now is you asked EQ next from what i hear yes.

I know for a fact TESO is a no,  you will also if you get a chance to beta test

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by muffins89
    it had the potential to be.  but the devs themselves have told us it more of a multi-player es game now than an mmo.

When did they say this? because I remember him clearly stating that they came at the game wanting to make it a multiplayer ES then after they started to develop the game it turned into something more and they headed towards the mmo and it grow into something more.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Yes it will be. The best mmo in last decade for sure.

I like your enthusiasm.... +10

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

As much as I like a lot of the things ESO is doing and as much as I'm looking forward to it, there's nothing about ESO that says "Next Gen" to me.

What I see is some innovation on classes and character development that adds many other things that you can skill-up and which give you abilities you can use right along with class abilities: Mage's Guild, Companions, Weapons, Armor, etc. The AvA is a retro move that tries to bring back a unique and highly regarded (for good reason) form of PvP that current MMO players may not be familiar with. The minimalist and immersive UI is a tweak (a good one) on current MMO design. NPC quest givers may no longer have exclamation marks over their head but they're still there and they still need the same 20 rats killed forever and ever...

Make no mistake this is a themepark MMO with quests, instances, instanced changes to how you see the world change, etc. But then "themepark" is not a dirty word to me. There can be some very good ones and this might be one of those.

"Next Gen" to me would be an MMO where the world truly changes everyday and everyone sees the same changes and despite that, still has new dynamic content that is fun to be a part of. It has NPCs with realistic "lives" who maybe only need those 20 rats cleared from his basement once, gets married and moves to a different town across the continent... but may still be worth knowing and helping with whatever he needs help with today because he makes the best swords...

Maybe and that's a BIG MAYBE, "Next gen" will be something we see at SOE Live on August 2nd... but even that may be a lot of hype.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    I'm less inclined to say THE game changer and more so A game changer. Everything needs to step up to keep the appeal. I'm not exactly a fan of this game for a few reasons, but I'm not going to wish ill will on it's success if it's genuinely trying to bring something different to the genre.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The entire argument is not the graphical quality or the computing power of the next gen consoles.

The issue is the serious lack of "normal" MMO functionalities that CAN NOT EXIST on a console.  The Console version will for ever be dumbed down in comparison to the PC version due to these limitations.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    if they can get rid of boring tab targeting hotbar click fest traditional mmo combat and make combat feel and have the quality of a single player game in an mmo world than thats next gen for an mmo to me.  And the graphics are a sure plus on the side.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by azzamasin

The entire argument is not the graphical quality or the computing power of the next gen consoles.

The issue is the serious lack of "normal" MMO functionalities that CAN NOT EXIST on a console.  The Console version will for ever be dumbed down in comparison to the PC version due to these limitations.

Final Fantasy 14 proved that wrong already.  I can have up to 16 skills set on a single set on the hotbar and another 16 on the second set which i can alternate between with the click of a shoulder button.  And by the time your mid to high level and having unlocked a lot of class skills both from you main class/job and the other classes/jobs you will have so many skills to choose from.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Thillian
    no, no, NO! The only impact of this game on the market will be to show developers of how NOT to do it in the future. This will be the last game, hopefully, with huge budget, no originality and mind-numbing gameplay, relying solely on marketing, hype and fame game-world... ... oh who am I kidding..

If developers havn't learned from WAR, AoC, Rift, Tera, DCuO, LotRO, DDO, Aion, GW2, STO and SWTOR they sure as hell won't learn from TESO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by tkreep
    if they can get rid of boring tab targeting hotbar click fest traditional mmo combat and make combat feel and have the quality of a single player game in an mmo world than thats next gen for an mmo to me.  And the graphics are a sure plus on the side.

They've already said it will be ES style combat. Which is kind of sad because the Elder Scrolls series has some of the worst combat in any single player game ever. It's greatest strengths have been freedom and exploration, not combat.