Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Hex: E3 2013 - Defining the MMOTCG

2»

Comments

• SuperPanekiSuperPaneki Member Posts: 62
    Scrolls is awesome too, and you don't have to buy any cards. You buy the game, and get every card playing it. Instead of getting experience, you get gold, which is the currency to buy cards. Isn't it extremely addictive? I'm going to play one more match. Only one more match... xD
  • kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Dralon
    Perfect combination of gaming styles for my taste.  Great for gamers, who have reached the stage in life where 6 hrs at a card shop with people 25 years younger than you, isn't going to fly ver often.

This is what many don't understand.  This is their target audience.  I don't have time to drive 2hrs to compete in a PTQ anymore spending all day their.  Now in another 10yrs when the kids are in their teens, sure.  Or do I always have a night I can show up at 6-8pm and go for FNM.  I do get free at 9-12pm and can roll for the next 5 hrs some evenings.

As for the physical over digital, a lot of people sold their physical to pay for a digital package.  I sold a couple dual lands and did a 2x Pro Tier, sub to the game for $4.00 a month and in ten years my investment should be about 1k if the game last that long.  Looks like it is cheaper than a subbed MMO at that rate.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by redcapp

Also I have no idea why this game is dubbed an MMO.  The term means nothing apparently. 

Just because something has online interactivity does not mean its MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER.  *shrug*.  I guess the term just means something entirely different than it used to at this point.  According to today's standards, the original Diablo, Starcraft, Counter Strike.. etc.. would all have been MMOs.  As if any game that is online and multiplayer is an MMO.

Didn't you get the memo? the new definition for MMO is Massive Moneylaundering Operation.

Anyway, I love card games. Currently enjoying Confrontation. I saw this and hopes to see a real interaction between card gaming and online activity. I wish for a means that you can translate card stats into dynamic playing systems. example: a 2 /2 card - Maybe the 2 means attack speed / damage it inflicts. And 2 is the life it has. Well in a dynamic MMO, we would have a short gaming experience. But suppose you multiply these stats by 10 or 100 when it goes into dynamic real time mode?

I would love a system that branches online and casual card playing.  I will keep an eye on this game!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Ah a card game is NOT a MMO in any sense of the definition.  Trying to extend card games to the MMO realm means you have to include any card game out there, like poker, bridge....etc. which is ridiculous.

Massive Money Laundering Operation huh, that got a chuckle out of me, sadly it is becoming quite true and even the young are very susceptible to it.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Man, I wish I could play the SWG TCG again. It was quite fun!

i feel the same about L5R and Warhammer 40k cardgame.

oh,and some of my friends and me still play the old MTG.
  • zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    I'm personally waiting for Blizzard's Hearthstone CCG.  It's my # 1 most anticipated casual game.  It will be free to play but you can buy packs with money or earn them slowly over time.  It's interesting that some people complain that you can't be competitive with a cheap deck but it's not true.  The game with use an ELO rating similar to League of Legends.  So ultimately it doesn't matter if your deck is cheap or "top tier", you're going to be matched up to your skill level.
  • AkaishenAkaishen Member Posts: 12
    It's a MMOTCG, not an MMORPG. It's obviously going to have differences. The reason it's considered an MMO is because they add numerous MMO features, such as AH, dungeons, quests, raids. The whole thing is connected to thousands of players in constant tournaments. The game only exists online and is meant to be played with others. Don't like it? Then move on to the next game.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    To all who say "PvE is 100% free", The only point playing this game is to play against other players. So think again when you say its free. Its not
  • RapkannibaleRapkannibale Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Wizardry

The truth is the market is flooded but the truth is these guys have not learned what this genre needs to be a stellar hit.

SOE came the closest with Tactics,absolutely gorgeous animations and soem nice strategy.

However i will underline the two MAJOR flaws this genre has stayed in,which is sad because that tells me they are either too dumb to learn or simply can't afford to do it right,either way is not good for the customer.

Flaw1 :Trash cards,everyone can see through this scam,a huge disparity between cards so that consumers over spend and end up with a pile of useless trash that they can't do anything with.There are a few work a rounds,make ALL cards valuable with a very large database.IMO the BEST way to work around it is to ONLY make money via a sub fee and tournaments.Also there shoudl be a system to reimburse or trade off trash cards for some sort of monetary value.

However ,i will make this clear,yo ucan NEVER show the greed factor,it is always very obvious.Example what SOE did was make their tournaments operate too quickly,they favored the speedy player,all in favor of getting more tournaments in to make more money.That does NOT make for good solid game play only greed.

Flaw 2:Players don't just want another board and a bunch of cards,they want a GAME,a RPG game to be exact.If you do not break the mold and offer a game,then your  game ends up exactly like all the others in the genre.

Again Tactics had the right idea with objects but a 15x15 grid is not a game.That it why you have a sub fee to support operating a game map with a lot more objects and terrain to bring the game to life.

Bottom line is Tactics is miles the BEST entry level effort but far from the type of effort needed to bring this genre right to the fore front.If a developer could do as i mentioned,i would probably drop all other games and play this genre first.

Maybe you should do a bit of research into the game before posting all this judgement. It seems you have based all of this on the article here.

To the flaw 1:

First of all there is a crafting system that allows you to use all the cards you don't want to get stuff you want. Second of all, you should read a bit on game design and why bad cards have to exist in a TCG. First of all bad cards are what makes other cards good. They give context. Second of all, some cards may be bad now, but when a future card or cards is introduced or if the meta game shifts bad cards often become very powerful cards.

To your flaw 2:

There are enough RPGs out there. If you want an RPG you can find one. Second of all, Hex's PvE content is a whole game in itslef, with dungeons, raids, quests, a story line, etc. In addition, Cryptozoic knows exactly what TCG fans want, a proper complex trading card game that can be played at any time. Many of us are older player that don't have time anymore to go to stores and play in physical tournaments, so this game allows us to scratch that competitive TCG itch.

• Mr.FunsocksMr.Funsocks Member Posts: 1

Clearing up a couple of things:

1) Yes, it is an MMO. There are many people playing at once, and it's online. The only "key" factor it doesn't really have of an MMO is an open world where you can see other players' avatars, which wouldn't really make sense in a TCG. There are plenty of MMO-ey aspects, from dungeons/raids to leveling your champions, to keep raiding where you set up a deck and a prize pool and players can attempt to beat your (AI-controlled) deck to raid your keep.

2) No, it's not P2W. Or, at least, not to the extent of most TCGs are. The PvP-tournament side has drafts/sealed tournaments like most TCGs, where you come in with several unopened packs of cards and make a deck on the spot, so everyone's on a level playing field. The constructed tournaments are always going to be expensive, but there's a limit to it as you only need 60 cards, and because there's a limit to how expensive your deck needs to be, the next fact is very important...

3) You can earn currency to buy PvP cards (even boosters for draft tourneys) on the AH by playing PvE. Which is entirely free. You can beat some dungeons, earn some gold, and buy anything you like off the AH, without spending a cent. And with the number of boosters sold through the Kickstarter, Set 1 at least will likely be dirt cheap. You can play the entire PvE experience for free, and through that likely earn currency to buy PvP cards off the AH fast enough to keep up with most everyone. 

4) It's actually cheaper than offline TCGs. MtG booster prices are 4$, whereas Hex's are 2$, or 1$ if you use the 4-booster-a-month VIP program.

• LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Do you consider Urban Rivals as a MMOTCG? That game has been on market for years and more recently Fantasy Rivals which is on  beta ( pretty decent game by the way).
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by mazut
    To all who say "PvE is 100% free", The only point playing this game is to play against other players. So think again when you say its free. Its not

If the pve is as good as it seems to be, then many people will be playing and enjoying it.  The pve experience in Hex isn't just playing a game against the AI.  There's dungeons, raids, hero leveling, card leveling, keep defence, crafting, classes, factions, rpg elements, a storyline, lore etc.  Everything a "real" MMO has.  The major difference being that combat and encounters with enemies will be done through the mechanics of a card game.  The pve in Hex will probably attract the more casual players, easing them into how a TCG works which ma lead them to try the pvp game and enjoy that.  Thats exactly why Cryptozoic is providing the pve free of charge.  They come for the free pve, they stay for the paid pvp

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• bonabonannibonabonanni Member Posts: 1
    much rather play poxnora
  • NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

Only problem I see is the speed of the other player you're up against, 20 minutes to play one card. 

Dual dungeon fights would be neat, didn't see it mentioned.

Originally posted by Mr.Funsocks

Clearing up a couple of things:

1) Yes, it is an MMO. There are many people playing at once, and it's online. The only "key" factor it doesn't really have of an MMO is an open world where you can see other players' avatars, which wouldn't really make sense in a TCG. There are plenty of MMO-ey aspects, from dungeons/raids to leveling your champions, to keep raiding where you set up a deck and a prize pool and players can attempt to beat your (AI-controlled) deck to raid your keep.

Please explain to me how a card game is a MMO?  Next you are going to tell me poker and bridge are MMO's because using your criteria above indicates they are.  I think not.

• DralonDralon Member Posts: 38

How is whacking a boar with your sword an MMO?  For the PvE aspect of Hex, the card play is the main gameplay element that allows you to progress through the world, the various dungeons, level your champions, collect loot to trade with other players, and eventually open multiplayer raids where you and multiple players online battle.  That's what makes it an MMO.

No one says WOW isn't an MMO just because someone may spend all their time soloing in WOW, repeatedly whacking things with swords.  they are still in an MMO even if they don't participate in the massively multiplayer aspect of it.

How is whacking a boar with your sword an MMO?  For the PvE aspect of Hex, the card play is the main gameplay element that allows you to progress through the world, the various dungeons, level your champions, collect loot to trade with other players, and eventually open multiplayer raids where you and multiple players online battle.  That's what makes it an MMO.

No one says WOW isn't an MMO just because someone may spend all their time soloing in WOW, repeatedly whacking things with swords.  they are still in an MMO even if they don't participate in the massively multiplayer aspect of it.

So we are now classifying any onlinecard game as a MMO, just because it is online and massive?  Even the old text based games were more MMO than this game.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

So we are now classifying any onlinecard game as a MMO, just because it is online and massive?  Even the old text based games were more MMO than this game.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

You might want to actually read some details before you make declarations on how this isn't an MMO.  It has almost everything any other traditional MMO has.  The pve game has races, classes, dungeons, raids, loot, talents, gear, crafting, character progression, story, lore, factions etc etc.  The major difference between Hex and other MMOs, which is where you're having trouble grasping the concept, is that combat is done through traditional TCG mechanics. 

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ResertonReserton Member Posts: 52

For people talking about Subs there will be the option of a $4/month VIP account which will get you a booster every week.

That is $1 per booster which is a 50% discount on the normal $2 per booster rate.

All PVE cards are free and earned in game.