Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest Next is not going to have core loot gameplay of EQ1, EQ2 and other themeparks.

Comments

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

I don't know about you guys but I read that as "We will still have progression, but the primary focus is going to be on exploration and interaction."  I think he's referring to something more along the lines of a game like Skyrim.  Sure, you gain levels and equips in Skyrim but that's not the reason you're playing.  In most MMORPGs the world is just a backdrop there to transport you from level 1 to level 60.  In games like Skyrim the world is the primary gameplay aspect and the progression is the backdrop.

I think that's what Smedley is really referring to.

Actually...

'John Smedley says that Sony’s upcoming MMO Everquest Next will be more Minecraft than Warcraft.'

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/11/future-of-mmo-games/

"So we’re changing it, and the way we’re doing that is making the world a part of the game. Right now worlds are Hollywood facades, just a place you go to kill the thing. It’s pretty, it helps the mood and the story but it doesn’t take part in the story in a meaningful way and that’s what we’re changing.

You’ll be able to destroy, massive, massive parts of this world, almost all of it. You can light the forest on fire; we have ambition with this thing. We want it to be something where the world you log into, might not be the world you log into in five days. What you saw in WoW’s Cataclysm could take place because someone cast a spell that is powerful enough to do something major. We want it to be meaningful. And that’s what we’re building. It’s actually what we’ve built, because we’ve got this now. It just isn’t quite at the level where we’re OK [to reveal it to the public]. We have a story that we want to tell for the announcement of it, we want it that you’re seeing every aspect of the gameplay, we’re one aspect short of that until we’re ready to show, so we’re close now.”

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30916&storypage=2

That's exactly what I just said.

Couldn't tell with your reference to Skyrim.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

I don't know about you guys but I read that as "We will still have progression, but the primary focus is going to be on exploration and interaction."  I think he's referring to something more along the lines of a game like Skyrim.  Sure, you gain levels and equips in Skyrim but that's not the reason you're playing.  In most MMORPGs the world is just a backdrop there to transport you from level 1 to level 60.  In games like Skyrim the world is the primary gameplay aspect and the progression is the backdrop.

Actually...

'John Smedley says that Sony’s upcoming MMO Everquest Next will be more Minecraft than Warcraft.'

"So we’re changing it, and the way we’re doing that is making the world a part of the game. Right now worlds are Hollywood facades, just a place you go to kill the thing. It’s pretty, it helps the mood and the story but it doesn’t take part in the story in a meaningful way and that’s what we’re changing.

You’ll be able to destroy, massive, massive parts of this world, almost all of it. You can light the forest on fire; we have ambition with this thing. We want it to be something where the world you log into, might not be the world you log into in five days. What you saw in WoW’s Cataclysm could take place because someone cast a spell that is powerful enough to do something major. We want it to be meaningful. And that’s what we’re building. It’s actually what we’ve built, because we’ve got this now. It just isn’t quite at the level where we’re OK [to reveal it to the public]. We have a story that we want to tell for the announcement of it, we want it that you’re seeing every aspect of the gameplay, we’re one aspect short of that until we’re ready to show, so we’re close now.”

That's why I edited my post 4 minutes before you replied saying "I think that's what Smedley is really referring to.  Also, Skyrim is just used as an example for clarification.  I probably shouldn't need to say that but I think it's required."  I knew somebody would see Skyrim and instantly make false assumptions without truly understanding the point.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Smed talks a lot of shit. 

He talks nothing but. He said EQNext would have permadeath too. He's in China atm I believe, he just says random stuff to rile up the community.

they say anything for attention.

then later, all the morons on this site get angry at hard-working devs because they are stupid enough to believe the marketing ploys of the suits.

go figure.

Actually...

That's why I edited my post 4 minutes before you replied saying "I think that's what Smedley is really referring to.  Also, Skyrim is just used as an example for clarification.  I probably shouldn't need to say that but I think it's required."  I knew somebody would see Skyrim and instantly make false assumptions without truly understanding the point.

beacuse it is better to make a point and just leave out comparisons.

comparisons are a dead art... most people think cars and MCdonals are all you need to make a point these days. why not actually have a point to begin with instead of feebly grasping loose and grossly farfetched comparisons.

it IS possible to make a point based on fact alone....

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    Better not be time based level system

I heard you that level up by texting phone messages, the same way America Idol counts votes.

What?

If you search through the writings of Nostradamus with the intent to find proof for a prediction you've already made, you tend to find what you want to see. Cold readers have relied on it for centuries.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

ALL mmo's and games are about progression.   

From the earliest of days with Pacman, it was about score.  Gotta get higher.

Even puzzle games are about progression.

Every single game and every single part of life is about progression.

Right now we have tons of mmo's that are categorized as either PVP, PVE, themepark or sandbox.  So if we go by what he says, it will be none of those, except "the worlds largest sandbox game".

If I imagine what kind of game it could be that has neither levels, or loot, and is vastly different than what we are used to, then I can't help but think of that weird mmo game that was all about crafting (had like an Egyptian theme to it or something).  Or Puzzle pirates. lol

Then if I go to the extreme, and envision how the most incredible experience one could have in Norrath, I think of a completely immersive virtual reality.  One where when I create a character, I start out in a little farm house, and can look around, and interact with everything in the tiny building, then open the door, and walk outside and just walk around and interact with more.  I could dig a hole with the shovel that's leaning against the house, and plant some seeds, and in a few days see some growth.  Or I could pick up the pitchfork over there and go out and spread hay.  Or if I felt like it I could stab one of the cows to death, or burn the house down. 

But I seriously doubt it would be something so detailed and interactive.  Sure it would be incredible, but it's not feasible with today's technology.

But maybe they are working on a mixture of Minecraft (not the building part, but the adventure/survival) and Everquest or something.  THAT would be awesome. :)

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I heard you that level up by texting phone messages, the same way America Idol counts votes.

What?

If you search through the writings of Nostradamus with the intent to find proof for a prediction you've already made, you tend to find what you want to see. Cold readers have relied on it for centuries.

EQNext will be the second coming and will bring peace and harmony to the virtual world eventually merging with the real world to bring about absolute utopia, as foretold by the Smedley Prophecies.

IT HAS BEEN FORETOLD!

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

It's just amazing that even after years of being a marketing spin guy and everything just short of being a outright liar,people still take Smeds at face value just coz he said Sandbox a few times.

I'll wait till there an actual game to see and try before making my judgements.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Ok, waiiiit!

He mentioned Eve as being different. Ok, what about SWG preCU/NGE? We had a "skill tree" level up system... So to speak... Not actual levels, just skillblocks that levelled up. What if they copied and modified that into EQN? That would be bloody AMAZING!

I really like that system, and since he didn't mention SWG at all, maybe there is a meaning to that? :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by AIMonster
    Originally posted by Icewhite

What?

EQNext will be the second coming and will bring peace and harmony to the virtual world eventually merging with the real world to bring about absolute utopia, as foretold by the Smedley Prophecies.

IT HAS BEEN FORETOLD!

“Nothing in the world can one imagine beforehand,not the least thing,everything is made up of so many unique particulars that cannot be forseen.”

? Nostradamus, El Talisman de Los Sueos

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

Ok, waiiiit!

He mentioned Eve as being different. Ok, what about SWG preCU/NGE? We had a "skill tree" level up system... So to speak... Not actual levels, just skillblocks that levelled up. What if they copied and modified that into EQN? That would be bloody AMAZING!

I really like that system, and since he didn't mention SWG at all, maybe there is a meaning to that? :)

you're right!

since he said nothing at all about it! that has to be it!!!

it is no surprise why so many crooks work in the mmo industry... just look at the easy pickings.....

Originally posted by Zairu

Ok, waiiiit!

you're right!

since he said nothing at all about it! that has to be it!!!

it is no surprise why so many crooks work in the mmo industry... just look at the easy pickings.....

I'm just gonna ignore this one...

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    well if large pvp focus in the game it will fail, most people dislike pvp.

Ok, waiiiit!

Replying to my own post, to add a link since most ppl are not familiar with the "level system" that was in SWG. Have a read... :)

http://www.mythor.net/blog/2011/12/star-wars-galaxies-best-skill-system-ever/

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Ok, waiiiit!

Replying to my own post, to add a link since most ppl are not familiar with the "level system" that was in SWG. Have a read... :)

Smed did say that SWG fans would love EQN x100000! on his Twitter feed. Seems nearly impossible with all the FFA PvP threads that have sprouted up lately doesn't it?

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

Originally posted by Trudge34

Ok, waiiiit!

Smed did say that SWG fans would love EQN x100000! on his Twitter feed. Seems nearly impossible with all the FFA PvP threads that have sprouted up lately doesn't it?

Not really... SWG was "kinda" FFA PvP... The ruleset changed many times though...

Their best system, in my opinion was the TEF... If you attacked the opposite faction, you would become flagged for pvp, for 5 minutes I think it was. This included NPCs. (rebels or imperial NPCs)

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

I'll believe Smed when I see the game and not until then. I find it terribly hard to believe that SOE can design a game that isnt about loot progression and raiding. People in DCUO still yell about the gear and raid treadmill , yet every DLC they add more tiers to raiding. Same with EQ2 and even EQ is all about quest rewards and raiding. This company made way more raid oriented games then it did sandbox style games.

Also this game might be a hybred between SWG and EQ but in the end even SWG was changed over to raiding and leveling progression. I hope you sandbox guys finally get your wish but if they add in full pvp across all servers this game is as good as dead as soon as it releases just like shadowbane darkfall mortal and the rest of this games that try to always force pvp down your throat. SWG had a good system back before the CU so hopefully they stick to a working system and dont listen to the few rapid hardcore pvpers on sites like this one.

I still though find it hard to believe that anything smed says is actual fact , the man is one of the largest attention whores in the business. I like the EQ series of games and I will probably play it regardless if its themepark or sandbox but I wont touch it if its some stupid pvp rule set like eq2 nagafen or eq1. Im way to old for all that garbage in games I enjoy and it really has no place in everquest and is why they only always had just a couple of pvp servers vs pve ones.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

It would be idiotic to do away with the PvE sphere of the game just because they're going to sandbox.

A lack of PvE and contested content was the primary reason the big sandbox MMOs became boring so quickly.  Without forms of progression, pvping for the sake of pvping is a complete bore.

SOE knows that fighting over territory and resources will only take their game so far without vibrant PvE progression.

Originally posted by Dullahan

It would be idiotic to do away with the PvE sphere of the game just because they're going to sandbox.

A lack of PvE and contested content was the primary reason the big sandbox MMOs became boring so quickly.  Without forms of progression, pvping for the sake of pvping is a complete bore.

SOE knows that fighting over territory and resources will only take their game so far without vibrant PvE progression.

I would, as much as you do, to keep the 2 things seperate. 1 server for each. But, the TEF system from SWG kinda did the same thing, until, you attacked the opposite faction. (Elf attack a Troll, etc) Was it a PC or npc.

Also, it was not forced PvP off the bat. You chose if you wanted be flagged for it at all times, or not flagged at all, unless you attacked the opposite faction. :)

They would have to do something for grouping etc. For instance, grouping will nullify the faction disputes so that ppl can group together for PvE content. For the duration of the group, or something like it. Hopefully with some rule so that it cannot be abused.

Like, PC just killed another PC and got flagged for pvp (5 mins). His friends are coming for him, so he joins a group, and is safe. (can easily be fixed by if you are flagged, you cannot join any grps. or something) lol

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Core loot gameplay will be in EQ Next like it should be. However, expect a dynamic system for resource gathering, housing and the like. Leveling up and gearing up drive gameplay; recent games allow for quick level-up and all gear-up at endgame. A good sandbox would make levelling up a long, slow process to keep you busy doing jobs along the way.  Master crafters, farmers, fishermen, adventurers, miners, etc. should had had to put alot of time and energy to get there.

I just think that the player-generated products made by a sandbox environment are going to be real important to buy and use in this game and that's about as far as it gets away from being a "core loot gameplay" kind of game.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Anything that would get rid of gold farming companies is cool with me

Anything that would remove ridiculious timesinks for players involved in mindless grinds for gold

Anything that would get rid of greed, envy, hate, corruption, etc...

Too bad this doesn't work in the real world...guess we have to start with how it would work in a game...

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Don't delude yourselves, Everquest Next is going to be a sandbox, not a themepark. What the vast majority of PVE players want and keep talking about on this forum is not going to be in this game. This game is not going to be Everquest 1 Next or Everquest 2 Next, but a radically different game as Smedley has made quite clear.

So in other words they are going to hope to be able to undo what they did with EQ 1...because it was EQ 1 that turned MMOs in to themepark loot fest garbage as well as grind based with massive camp spawn times.

EQ1s effect on the genre really makes me wish Microsoft had put some actual advertising muscle behind AC1 so EQ1 hadn't of dominated like it did...the genre wouldn't have all gone down the EQ route and would instead have been more diversified with AC1s sandbox influence.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

What is worrying for me, still, is that I still havent seen any concrete sandbox features. "...bring life to the world". Well that could mean anything and I am sure that there are ThemePark games who have made that claim.

What they need to do is to give us concrete features and aspects of the game. What seems to be clear, by this statement, that it is not going to be a skillbased game. So a level based sandbox? No, that wont work. Possibly a hybrid like Asheron's Call 1 but you cannot have an open ended sandbox type MMO with the restrictions that a level based MMO puts on a game.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Yamota

What is worrying for me, still, is that I still havent seen any concrete sandbox features. "...bring life to the world". Well that could mean anything and I am sure that there are ThemePark games who have made that claim.

What they need to do is to give us concrete features and aspects of the game. What seems to be clear, by this statement, that it is not going to be a skillbased game. So a level based sandbox? No, that wont work. Possibly a hybrid like Asheron's Call 1 but you cannot have an open ended sandbox type MMO with the restrictions that a level based MMO puts on a game.

What he wants is people to not pay attention to the man behind the curtain. 

Yes, he needs be start talking concrete specifics and not some pie in the sky mumbo jumbo.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628
    The big august reveal will be a teaser trailer, some manifesto hype video, and a bullet point list of features they have yet to implement but plan on having by launch.