Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need impressions from previous FFXI players...

Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Sup everyone!

Well, I will try to keep this short and sweet. Just like the title suggests, I am looking for people who had played FFXI for a while and would like to know their impressions of ARR. I have never played WoW so comparing this to WoW for me doesn't really help. I have played SWTOR but that was a long time ago and I haven't touch another MMO since. Plus I didn't like the game. I did have some high hopes for some titles but the one that I did play consistently was FFXI. Played for 4 years and it was an amazing experience! That being said, I am really curious to the impressions of this. I would like to pick up a MMO hobby and I want to feel the immersion that I did with FFXI. I should specify that I am not looking for FFXI and know FFXIV ARR will be different. Just curious if FFXIV ARR can do the same? I have read all of the impressions on MMORPG, Massively and the like but every article started to compare it to WoW. Which is fair. I know a lot of people played WoW but I have not. If you guys could provide me comparisons based on the below bullets would be greatly appreciated! HAPPY FRIDAY!

Rotoki

- Combat

- Scale of the World (Does it feel like you have a long way to go?)

- Crafting

- Overall feel

Comments

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Bump! Aww come on.. No on played FFXI then played FFXIV? I am very curious.

Thanks!

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712

I only have limited experience with FFXI, but to me the combat in FFXIV feels much better from what I did experience, it still needs a bit of work, but to me its a much better system, still not as fast as most themeparks, but with a few tweaks and limitbreaks it will be really interesting.

The world feels big, there is instancing between zones, but the zones are huge, and very beautiful, the graphics engine is simply the best ive ever seen in an MMO.

The crafting is very good, I made a post on these forums not long ago about crafting and gathering and why I think it might be the best in a themepark to date.

Overall I believe Yoshida and Square has performed a miracle with ARR, and I hope this is a sign of things to come.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Proximo521

Sup everyone!

***snip***

Rotoki

- Combat

- Crafting

- Overall feel

Combat:

This is probably where the game differs the most from FFXI. There are many similarities, but combat is a lot less micro based, it's simplified, and (so far) you don't need to discover new skills (you just get them from lvling up). Also, (and this is my biggest issue with combat atm) they removed the renkai system as far as i can tell. Limit breaks exist, but in a VERY dumbed down version. Atm there's only a couple limit breaks shared amongst the classes. Furthermore the meter is shared by the whole party, so if someone wastes it, its gone for the group.

Scale:

The scale of the world feels pretty large. The individual zones feel about the same (if not a little bigger) than they were in FFXI. The world atm def has less zones than FFXI, though. This is something that can definitely be expanded in the future, but atm each zone feels large, even though the world as a whole is a bit smaller.

Crafting:

This game removes the whole weather based mechanics from the game. In this way crafting is simplified from FFXI. However it's also more skill-based, and less RNG. I actually really enjoy the crafting, even though I feel like it needs an option to batch-craft. Trying to craft stacks of ingots 1by1 is very annoying.

Overall feel:

I'm really enjoying the game. It is a bit streamlined, but it's still a very fun experience. There are some things I hope they miss, but on the whole I think I will be buying this one. We'll see how I feel by phase 4, though.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Could you instantly teleport anywhere in the world that you had visited for a fee in FFXI? Because you can do that in FFXIV. It feels somewhat like GW2 if you have ever played that. You just pay a small fee and port from anywhere in the world to a crystal (usually one of them in each zone).

Edit: I just realized that I wasn't clear about referring to the scale of the world. To me, it doesn't feel very large. But I'm only level 22.

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73

This game pales in comparison to the original FFXI (Before it went casual mode.)

The adventure delivered from FFXI 2004-2007 was simply unparalled by any mmorpg to date.

Vanilla/BC WoW might be a slight contender.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by aesperus

Sup everyone!

***snip***

Rotoki

- Combat

- Crafting

- Overall feel

Combat:

This is probably where the game differs the most from FFXI. There are many similarities, but combat is a lot less micro based, it's simplified, and (so far) you don't need to discover new skills (you just get them from lvling up). Also, (and this is my biggest issue with combat atm) they removed the renkai system as far as i can tell. Limit breaks exist, but in a VERY dumbed down version. Atm there's only a couple limit breaks shared amongst the classes. Furthermore the meter is shared by the whole party, so if someone wastes it, its gone for the group.

Scale:

The scale of the world feels pretty large. The individual zones feel about the same (if not a little bigger) than they were in FFXI. The world atm def has less zones than FFXI, though. This is something that can definitely be expanded in the future, but atm each zone feels large, even though the world as a whole is a bit smaller.

Crafting:

This game removes the whole weather based mechanics from the game. In this way crafting is simplified from FFXI. However it's also more skill-based, and less RNG. I actually really enjoy the crafting, even though I feel like it needs an option to batch-craft. Trying to craft stacks of ingots 1by1 is very annoying.

Overall feel:

I'm really enjoying the game. It is a bit streamlined, but it's still a very fun experience. There are some things I hope they miss, but on the whole I think I will be buying this one. We'll see how I feel by phase 4, though.

That was actually very insightful! 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Sup everyone!

Well, I will try to keep this short and sweet. Just like the title suggests, I am looking for people who had played FFXI for a while and would like to know their impressions of ARR. I have never played WoW so comparing this to WoW for me doesn't really help. I have played SWTOR but that was a long time ago and I haven't touch another MMO since. Plus I didn't like the game. I did have some high hopes for some titles but the one that I did play consistently was FFXI. Played for 4 years and it was an amazing experience! That being said, I am really curious to the impressions of this. I would like to pick up a MMO hobby and I want to feel the immersion that I did with FFXI. I should specify that I am not looking for FFXI and know FFXIV ARR will be different. Just curious if FFXIV ARR can do the same? I have read all of the impressions on MMORPG, Massively and the like but every article started to compare it to WoW. Which is fair. I know a lot of people played WoW but I have not. If you guys could provide me comparisons based on the below bullets would be greatly appreciated! HAPPY FRIDAY!

Rotoki

- Combat.     very dull, slow, worst mob ai ever 

- Scale of the World (Does it feel like you have a long way to go?) what world feeling? There was no npc interaction at all, the world felt like a death place, all zones where much to small with no cohesion

- Crafting sorry there, never even got to try it, 

- Overall feel see my sinature

While this is my opinion, it should probably have changed a lot when you hear current beta testers,  tough i am still angry at them for releasing it in such a bad state

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DarkVergilDarkVergil Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Sup everyone!

Rotoki

- Scale of the World (Does it feel like you have a long way to go?) what world feeling? There was no npc interaction at all, the world felt like a death place, all zones where much to small with no cohesion

While this is my opinion, it should probably have changed a lot when you hear current beta testers,  tough i am still angry at them for releasing it in such a bad state

He wants you to compare FFXI to FFXIV ARR not FFXIV 1.0 to FFXIV ARR

Sup everyone!

Rotoki

Im guessing you are refering to 1.0 there? If so I 100% agree with you.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Sup everyone!

Rotoki

Dude I didn't get ANY of the same insights as you.

It feels a lot like FFXI to me, but much, much easier to get into and actually enjoy.

It's Final Fantasy, so it's all about the stories, the characters, and the locations.

Thus far, from the very limited amount I've seen, the game just bleeds Final Fantasy.

Thus far I'd say this-

If WoW came in and removed a lot of the tedium and annoying time sinks from EQ-

FFXIV comes in and removes a lot of the tedium and annoying time sinks of FFXI.

That's the best I can put it.

I never played FFXIV before ARR.

It's certainly not WoW with a FF skin. It feels a lot more "old school" than WoW currently does, a lot like WoW did back in the Vanilla/BC days, but does contain many of the more "modern" conveniences.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Sup everyone!

Rotoki

Dude I didn't get ANY of the same insights as you.

It feels a lot like FFXI to me, but much, much easier to get into and actually enjoy.

It's Final Fantasy, so it's all about the stories, the characters, and the locations.

Thus far, from the very limited amount I've seen, the game just bleeds Final Fantasy.

Thus far I'd say this-

If WoW came in and removed a lot of the tedium and annoying time sinks from EQ-

FFXIV comes in and removes a lot of the tedium and annoying time sinks of FFXI.

That's the best I can put it.

I never played FFXIV before ARR.

It's certainly not WoW with a FF skin. It feels a lot more "old school" than WoW currently does, a lot like WoW did back in the Vanilla/BC days, but does contain many of the more "modern" conveniences.

+1 Extremely well articulated.  I completely agree but couldn't put my mind to it until you explained it the way you did.  I played FFXI for 2 years, Wow for 4 (on and off).

• MGPetersonMGPeterson Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Save your money.  Final Fantasy MMO titles always have and always will suck.

Originally posted by MGPeterson
    Save your money.  Final Fantasy MMO titles always have and always will suck.

Save your posts, they always have and always will suck.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I haven't done enough in the beta yet to make any valid comparisons, but you probably wouldn't want my opinion anyway as I don't have much good to say about FFXI :p  

I actually feel that the original FF14 failed largely because it continued to utilize some of FFXI's archaic systems, which, in this more modern era, proved simply unacceptable to most players.  They were at least *acceptable* back in 2003 (which is when I played, up until shortly after the release of Treasures of Aht Urghan in 2006), but just didn't cut it for an ever more homogenized MMO crowd in 2011.  

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Combat is not as good as FFXI but then neither is any other game.On your first class combat will feel very Wowish.bland but as you get more classes it will be a lot better.

World  oh yes it is big ,i have actually got nowhere yet in this my second Beta all because i am getting lost looking for things.

I have not done crafting,need some currency to be able to buy my tools.

Overall feel is they 100% got cold feet on losing money and have tried to make it a WOW/mainstream type game.Markers on NPC's quest xp easy combat.However after you get past the noob mobs,you run into some bigger cooler looking stuff like the Giant crabs.I think what i am saying is you  get relatively the same experience as other games but better visuals.If you understand FFXI entirely you will realize it is VERY hard to match that game's depth.

Also you should remember this game is not near finished,another 6-12 months you might see the real finished product before they begin expansions.I will go on a limb and predict Samurai in first expansion.

Also it is MUCH better than FFXI's recent crap like Abyssea and the newest xpac "Seekers of Adoulin" really turned me off.IMO that is not right either,no question they are leeching money from the loyal FFXI fan base to support FFXIV.

I am ready to support  this game,but mark my words if i see the same xpac as i see in Seekers ,i will run for the doors very quickly.A quick run down...Seekers no doors or insides on 95% of the buildings,FFXIV yes they are all done properly.Maps in seekers are blocked off to create time sinks and basically make it annoying,FFXIV the maps are more open than vanilla FFXI.City travel in FFXI is actually much easier,FFXIV city travel is cumbersome even with the warps.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Moodsor

Sup everyone!

Rotoki

Im guessing you are refering to 1.0 there? If so I 100% agree with you.

To much beer i guess, i really missread, i was referring to 1.0 and not to XI which was actually quite fun untill i got tired of the grind

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283

Seriously... Awesome stuff guys! I really really appreciate the efforts and the time you guys put into answering my questions. To be quite honest.. I bought the CE and I somehow convinced my old buddies from FFXI to buy it also. I mean come on when you get past Sky and get the Aht Urghan armor we were done. We played all the expansions up to when the Aht Urghan expansion came out. So, in short I had some pissed friends for a long time. We have been playing Battlefield and mainly have been staying away from MMO's but.. If you guys loved FFXI like we did it was hard to want to play anything else. First love syndrome? Possibly. In either case, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS!

Good luck and hope to you guys in game!

Rotoki/Proximo

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Best mmo released in the last 10 years. image
  • treelotreelo Member Posts: 70

First love syndrome?

Definitely.

XI was a great game hidden behind monotonous content with a cracking plot thrown in for good measure.  I didn't bother with 1.0 because it was obvious from the changes taking place in XI at the time that SE were going for a more mainstream, solo experience, and they suck at making games.  They know how to craft excellent combat systems though, and XIV appeared to lack even this, choosing to mimic other popular titles of the time.

I'll try the Open Beta when that kicks off, but I don't expect much.  I certainly don't expect it to match XI.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

FFXIV does not even belong in the same sentence as FFXI. I played XI for 5 years started at launch.

What made XI so great for me, was that when you accomplished something it felt like a real accomplishment, you had a proud feeling that you got something, or got something done. Stuff was not just given to you. I am sorry but I really like that. Easy things for me is not fun, I do not find going through the motions fun in anyway shape or form.

I met some great people in XI who I am still friends with and talk to, to this day. Over a decade later. which leads to my second point teamwork, you had to work with other people, and activly communicate. Where as now you are just playing solo with other people around you. With the occasional team up. 

I could write you a book on how much better XI was compared to XIV. Even though today they have changed XI even though I can not say I disagree with the devs for doing so because after about 6 or 7 years the game started to die and it was needed. But it is still going today and it is STILL p2p. where as everything post wow is shut down or a f2p mess within a couple years. I really can not understand developers these days, make a game for MMO players and not single players and you will have a game players playing for years and years. 

XI haters do not want to admit this but it was an overwhelming success SE. If you want to look at profit, XI is easy is around #4 or #5 of all time profit. XIV will do good just to break even.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95

I played FFXI for 5.5 years on Fenrir server.

I played FFXIV 1.0 for 1 month and hated it.

I have since played in 2 betas for ARR and so far it is very fun; however, if you compare it directly to FFXI it will not compete in many areas.

The combat is much flasher, but also much more mainstream. Instead of relaying on auto attacks to do the majority of your damage and peppering in skills here and there, skills now make up the overwhelming part of your DPS. 

To me that's good and bad. I miss the old FFXI style, but at the same time, times change and I do enjoy having a bit more to do during a fight. 

I loved only fighting one difficult mob at a time in FFXI, I'm not a big fan of pulling a bunch of small mob and wiping them out with one AOE. Luckily in ARR it isn't quite that bad, though you can easily solo most mobs.

The world feels roughly the same size as FFXI up to Sea. 

Animations are top notch and I'm loving all the little details in the game.

Traveling is about the same. Though no real time airship and ferry, which is good and bad.

My biggest hope is that by mid-late game grouping is much more beneficial than soloing and people will want to do it. I hate playing MMOs alone and I'm sure many FFXI vets feel the same way.

TL;DR  The game is very fun for what it is. A NEW FF game. If you compare it to XI I think you will be let down. As many others have stated, FFXI just had a magi about it that has not been replicated since. 

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Well i know this feels nothing like ffxi. I remember the 1st days of fffxi. I was fighting rabits and worms for awhile in west ron. The first days of ffxi, i spent alot of time, just trying to find a mob to kill.

I just started with phase 3, and the first days of ffxiv arr, there are a crapload of peaple everywere, lots of flashy visuall's from everyone. The thing with ffxiv arr is i'm not running around killing the same 2 mobs for over an hour before i slowly move farther out. There are tons of mobs and a huge viraity. Plus everyone can kill mobs together, no more running around trying to find a mob to kill like in ffxi.

The quest system in ffxi, you didn't know which npc's had quest, and which didn't. The information that ffxi gave us for quest, was very vauge, we had to use a wiki to figure out how to do um. FFXIV arr on the other hand there are huge exlamation marks over npcs heads, and checkmarks when you complete there quest. Even on the world map, they show you exlamation marks to quest npc's. Once you got a quest in ffxiv arr, you look at your journal and it really gives a good short story and tells you exactly what you need to do. Ther's even a map button, it will show you exactly where to go to do the quest.

FFXI had an auction house it looks alot diffrent then ffxiv arr's. FFxiv arr auction how, i think that's what it is, looks like the hunter board from ff 12. Well at least the one in ul'dah looks like that. Havn't been to the other cities.

FFXI had peaple who just stood around afk and bazaared stuff off. FFXIV ARR has a Contaner system, which is an npc that you put stuff on to sell your stuff. You can sell all your stuff without having to leave your computer on.

In ffxi you had a mog house in every city. Well i just discoverd something yesterday in ffxiv arr, there is an inn that you can go into for free. You end up in a nice room that has some shutters, and a storage box in the corner you can store stuff. Ther's also a bed in there, when you click on it, it shows your character laying down on the bed as you log out of the system. There is no moogle in there though, just a room with furnishings, a bed, and a storage chest.

There are moogles though, they act as mail boxes, they stand outside in the main city.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by toddze

FFXIV does not even belong in the same sentence as FFXI. I played XI for 5 years started at launch.

What made XI so great for me, was that when you accomplished something it felt like a real accomplishment, you had a proud feeling that you got something, or got something done. Stuff was not just given to you. I am sorry but I really like that. Easy things for me is not fun, I do not find going through the motions fun in anyway shape or form.

I met some great people in XI who I am still friends with and talk to, to this day. Over a decade later. which leads to my second point teamwork, you had to work with other people, and activly communicate. Where as now you are just playing solo with other people around you. With the occasional team up. 

I could write you a book on how much better XI was compared to XIV. Even though today they have changed XI even though I can not say I disagree with the devs for doing so because after about 6 or 7 years the game started to die and it was needed. But it is still going today and it is STILL p2p. where as everything post wow is shut down or a f2p mess within a couple years. I really can not understand developers these days, make a game for MMO players and not single players and you will have a game players playing for years and years. 

XI haters do not want to admit this but it was an overwhelming success SE. If you want to look at profit, XI is easy is around #4 or #5 of all time profit. XIV will do good just to break even.

This is exactly, and I mean exactly how my wife and I feel about XI. One thing I ll add to it is a big BUT. We don t have the time nor patience for a game like FFXI when it first came out. FFXIV gives us that little XI feel, with a lot more log in play a bit have fun and log out, to it. That said, when you want those long play sessions, XIV has that too. I would never say XIV is better then XI or even as good, but it fills the need we have, due to our busy lives.

I can play games like XI, and hopefully another one comes out eventually, we ll play it, but we most certainly won t be able to keep up with the norm.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

Compare any mmo to FFXI pre-abyssea and you're going to have a bad time.  Basically what I saw someone else say earlier in this thread - SE got cold feet or are simply ignoring their success with FFXI.  It boggles my mind to think that SE said FFXI is the most profitable thing they've made so far, and then stray so far from it with their next iteration of an mmo.

People who say FFXI wouldn't work today are absolutely wrong.  FFXI is a niche game.  It was niche when it released and is still niche.  there are still hundred of thousands of people who love FFXI style gameplay and would willingly pay for it, but certainly not millions of people which every mmo publisher is hung up on now.  If SE simplay made FFXI-2 they'd probably pull 500k subscribers again for another 10year cycle and make a solid income off it.  FFXIV is looking to be an outdated attempt at a modern mmo which will die off quickly because it doesn't introduce enough variables that make it complicated and addicting.

Don't hold your breath for FFXIV and wait another couple years.  SE will realize it eventually and make FFXI-2.

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by tollbooth

Compare any mmo to FFXI pre-abyssea and you're going to have a bad time.  Basically what I saw someone else say earlier in this thread - SE got cold feet or are simply ignoring their success with FFXI.  It boggles my mind to think that SE said FFXI is the most profitable thing they've made so far, and then stray so far from it with their next iteration of an mmo.

People who say FFXI wouldn't work today are absolutely wrong.  FFXI is a niche game.  It was niche when it released and is still niche.  there are still hundred of thousands of people who love FFXI style gameplay and would willingly pay for it, but certainly not millions of people which every mmo publisher is hung up on now.  If SE simplay made FFXI-2 they'd probably pull 500k subscribers again for another 10year cycle and make a solid income off it.  FFXIV is looking to be an outdated attempt at a modern mmo which will die off quickly because it doesn't introduce enough variables that make it complicated and addicting.

Don't hold your breath for FFXIV and wait another couple years.  SE will realize it eventually and make FFXI-2.

I disagree with all these opinions about 11 being better , its had its time, we're moving on now, 14 looks good, enough people already like it and more people will like it, getting real tired of these butt hurt people with the good old days syndrome. 

You wont have your way, dont care for 14? wont buy or play it? fine plenty will no loss there sorry, they made a quality game and it will last and make profit for years to come.