Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The true Korean payment model inside! Will this affect Trion?

Informer80Informer80 Member Posts: 91

Finally a good report with all the features of the new "freemium" model:

AA-O.de payment report

How can this system affect our version?

Comments

• KeyhKeyh Member Posts: 140

It's almost certainly going to be different, the question becomes "how different".

Before it was announced that Rift was going F2P and AA was still sub based in Korea, I would've said that AA was definitely going to be sub based.

Now, I'm leaning towards a F2P model, but I'm sure it will be different from that one. Most likely some sort of cash shop with sub options or something.

• ProphecysProphecys Member UncommonPosts: 32

Trion worlds will of course develop their own F2P model which is probably what it will relase as. 

Probably very smiliar to Rift's F2P model.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Prophecys

Trion worlds will of course develop their own F2P model which is probably what it will relase as. 

There is no way they would release it has f2p sure it will go to that in few months. They would loose all the moneys from box sales, they would never let those go. 

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by inporylemQQ

There is no way they would release it has f2p sure it will go to that in few months. They would loose all the moneys from box sales, they would never let those go. 

Assuming there was going to be a lot of box sales for the latest entry into the niche market :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Assuming there was going to be a lot of box sales for the latest entry into the niche market :)

Well the amount of hype they can generate I'm sure there would be a lot of box sales. As you can see from reviews and such ArcheAge does look awesome on paper.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

As I said once, while Trion is working on westernizing this game, there are factors of the game that are still incredibly niche, forced pvp for example. I wouldn't doubt them to release it as f2p. I honestly think a hybrid model is the smartest choice, nothing as extreme as Korea's but still fair, like Tera's model.

People are already looking down on this game for going into f2p in Korea.. if it released as b2p/p2p and went f2p people will just say it failed. Put in a reasonable cash shop and the game would flourish.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

niche game, yet its top 5 of mmorpg's............... or so jake song claims. And has yet to hit EU or US. Don't think this is one of those niche games, more like a game that isn't following WOW and more people will want to play this than your typical wow clone cookie cutter.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    B2P + CS is my prediction. That seems to be the way most mmos are heading now. They get the nice influx of cash at launch from box sales, and money from the cash shop to sustain it. Expansions will need to be purchased but 'standard' content updates will be free......

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    If it does release f2p, or b2p with a cash shop I hope they offer a subscription option like they do with rift right now. 
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by stragen001
    B2P + CS is my prediction. That seems to be the way most mmos are heading now. They get the nice influx of cash at launch from box sales, and money from the cash shop to sustain it. Expansions will need to be purchased but 'standard' content updates will be free......

So P2W.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

All depends on how much autonomy Trion is given in the publishing contract.

But if AA does not make a similar profit in Korea and the western market, Trion may well be pressured to become more aggressive with their pricing.

At any rate, if AA launches in the west as a subscription game, I'll be holding off until it goes F2P. That shouldn't take very long...

Originally posted by Dihoru

So P2W.

Well yes. Its Korean.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

So P2W.

Well yes. Its Korean.

Well not really Korean.. you pretty much described Lotro's model lol.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Nah, pre-purchase founder packs sell just as well as boxes. That's been proven by almost every ftp release so far.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

I hope it is B2P or P2P. I would really love to get myself a collector's edition of this game. If it goes F2P I don't see that happening. Usually F2P games sell their CE version containing 100% virtual items. There are a few select exceptions, but I would rather want the box.

• ThePantsWizardThePantsWizard Member Posts: 3

If I was able to choose, I'd like to see a P2P-model. Certain money for the developer to produce content, a strong incentive for players to keep playing, weeding out the less 'mature' players,... Also, it has more appeal to play a game that's P2P than if it's F2P. I'd be comfortable with B2P as well of course, and I'll still play it they go a F2P-route. But P2P has my preference.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by ThePantsWizard

If I was able to choose, I'd like to see a P2P-model. Certain money for the developer to produce content, a strong incentive for players to keep playing, weeding out the less 'mature' players,... Also, it has more appeal to play a game that's P2P than if it's F2P. I'd be comfortable with B2P as well of course, and I'll still play it they go a F2P-route. But P2P has my preference.

I feel the same way.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by faiyo

So P2W.

Well yes. Its Korean.

GW2 follows the same plan, doesn't it?  P2W there too?

Originally posted by jdlamson75

So P2W.

Well yes. Its Korean.

It all depends how its implemented. My comment stating Korean = p2w is not always 100% true but we all know the type of games I am talking about. Games like runes of magic, neverwinter, (or any other pwi game), etc that actually give you an advantage in game via the cash shop.

GW2 in my opinion is not P2W as the items in the cash shop are all fluff/convenience.

LOTRO is a completely different model - freemium - where you have to pay to unlock game content(and pay for expansions)

The model I hope AA uses is the same as GW2, TSW etc where you pay the box price and all game content us free, you pay for expansions, and cash shop is fluff/cosmetic/convenience items only. Don't know how much pull Trion has, but I'm afraid that the Koreans will do the usual trick if putting items that give advantage in the cash shop, as well as cosmetic etc, and charging reduculous prices for them. Hopefully Trion will talk them out of it

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

So P2W.

Well yes. Its Korean.

It all depends how its implemented. My comment stating Korean = p2w is not always 100% true but we all know the type of games I am talking about. Games like runes of magic, neverwinter, (or any other pwi game), etc that actually give you an advantage in game via the cash shop. GW2 in my opinion is not P2W as the items in the cash shop are all fluff/convenience. LOTRO is a completely different model - freemium - where you have to pay to unlock game content(and pay for expansions) The model I hope AA uses is the same as GW2, TSW etc where you pay the box price and all game content us free, you pay for expansions, and cash shop is fluff/cosmetic/convenience items only. Don't know how much pull Trion has, but I'm afraid that the Koreans will do the usual trick if putting items that give advantage in the cash shop, as well as cosmetic etc, and charging reduculous prices for them. Hopefully Trion will talk them out of it

The big, bad, Koreans! It's funny how you fail to mention Aion as a (popular) F2P Korean MMO done well. Granted, you did say that not all Korean MMOs are pay-to-win.

• rondericronderic Member Posts: 56

Well, I certainly hope it will be P2P. It would surely cut down on the gold farmers. Being able to gank gold farmers may actually be a good idea.

In Korea it is only playable 18+, not sure if Trion will be able to lower this unless they change (reprogram) some of the code - which of course will take longer before release.

So it will maybe end up being a niche game anyway - niche like EVE-Online, which can't be so bad..

You can please some MMO-players all of the time and you can please all MMO-players some of the time but you can't please all MMO-players all of the time.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

AA as a sandbox game is not for the masses, the asian theme combined with bad animations and steller quest progresion isnt going to be a block buster here in the western market.
    Add to the fact that it went free to ply in korea at an alarming rate and you have lots of people not even looking at it anymore.
    I can be bwrong offcourse, but AA with a sub will go flat on its face.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    At this point all we are doing is guessing,time will tell. But the lack of info from trion is starting to get old.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Onomas

niche game, yet its top 5 of mmorpg's............... or so jake song claims. And has yet to hit EU or US. Don't think this is one of those niche games, more like a game that isn't following WOW and more people will want to play this than your typical wow clone cookie cutter.

you have to consider how different our market is from the aisan market... Aion is in top 5 games there as well - here it's just another F2P game...

So games which are popular there, are mostly not that major here.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Onomas

you have to consider how different our market is from the aisan market... Aion is in top 5 games there as well - here it's just another F2P game...

So games which are popular there, are mostly not that major here.

The only eastern game to have moderate success in the west was FFXI, and that probably had a lot to do with the IP. 

Its certainly a niche game: eastern game with forced PvP.  And its going to release at a terrible time for it, because it will be overshadowed by the impending release of a major western sandbox (assuming the august reveal goes well).

It will do better than AoW because Trion is involved, but dont expect a hit.