Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmm. Not so great.

Comments

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

No one likes to hear the, "It gets better later" argument. In fact, I won't make that argument since I think it's pretty good from the get go. 

But they do start you out on a rather low difficulty / complexity gradient. Along with that, there is a great deal of hand holding as opposed to the original where the just flopped you down and said, "Here ya go!" This is because they wish to make the game more accessible from the beginning. This makes sense. The stronger than average learning curve for XI and XIV 1.0 undoubtedly turned a number of people away. 

But, I'm just sharing with you what Yoshi has said. We'll have to see how it pans out. That all being said, if you're not in the market for tab targeting, hot bar, theme park experience....this will not be your cup of tea. 

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

I feel the same way as the OP. I got into beta and haven't played since. Graphics look great but the combat feels outdated.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

What I dont get is people posting about the combat that has not reach what level 11 maybe 15 and complaining about the combat.  Yet they only experienced a fraction of the combat.  At level 30 of your first class you start getting interesting abilities.  Once you get your second class to level 15 you will get your Job abilities.  As you level both classes up to 50 your abilities get stronger and more abilities.  At level 11 you have seen nothing just like all MMOs FFXIV starts off slow and builds you up, however people are going to be so critical of FFXIV why?  Because maybe they see it as a real threat to other MMOs that are coming out that really they want to do well however have very little content to the game. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Fraught

Graphics are A1. Character creation average. Combat (apart from archer) not so good.

So what's the big attraction? Just my thoughts after 3 beta weekends.

With me, the IP has a lot to do with it. I just really like Final Fantasy. I grew up with it. When it comes to the game, I find there is a lot to like as well. Such as the armoury system - I haven't really met anyone who can deny that this is a great system. I dig that you can make one character and experience all the game has to offer in terms of crafting, jobs, etc. It's also great for grouping and whatnot as you can make a group work. 

To each their own though. 

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Krimzin

I feel the same way as the OP. I got into beta and haven't played since. Graphics look great but the combat feels outdated.

Outdated to what?  FFXIV combat is the same as combat from FF, same combat style to WOW,  What combat is new?  Neverwinter?  Tera?  Both action combat systems are for the birds.  They should have been left in Single Player games where they belong.  Most of the time in both games you are just clicking a shoot button like a FPS thats real fun right?  Not!

Originally posted by Seilan
    Originally posted by Divona

I find the combat are fine. Responsive and faster than Rift. What attracted me about Final Fantasy XIV: ARR is the class system where you can mix and match different skills from each class together, just like in Final Fantasy XI (III and V as well). You can really build character to suit your playstyle. Final Fantasy also has reputation on story, and I'm looking forward to see how it will present in XIV.

Even though, it is a theme park, it doesn't feel rush like the other. The quest does lead you from one hub to another, but does not feel force to do so.

As a previous player from 1.0, this is the first where I see the game pull it body out from the coffin yell out "I'm not dead, yet!", and try to get it life back to normal. The face look the same, but this time it decided to stop taking drug and apply for a normal job like everyone else. I'm looking forward to see how it goes, and willing to help support it, if it decides to stay sober.

Yeah, I really like the class system too, but I worry that the versatility it offers won't really matter much when you get to the end game, group-oriented content. I mean, if jobs are essentially the more specialized version of the particular class you're using, would there ever be any room for said class in a group setting? That's what bothers me about this system. Even though I'll probably spend much more time playing a MAR with cure spells/etc through the leveling process, I have a feeling that I'll be expected to switch over to the warrior whenever I'm in a group, regardless of whether I want to or not.

To be fair, I haven't really played enough, or know enough about how the system plays out in the late game to make a fair assessment, but I still think that it might have been better if they had went with the same system XI used, regarding jobs. I liked that every job had it's own identity and could be played standalone. With the system they're using in FFXIV, I kind of expect classes to become the red-headed step children later on, at least when it comes to most of the end game content. I hope I'm wrong on that though.

If I'm completely off-base here, and anyone wants to educate me, I'd gladly welcome that.

I may be able to clear a few things up here. 

It works out like this. Your job is in addition to the class you're using. So if you're a marauder with the warrior job, you're still a marauder with all of the marauder skills. The job of warrior adds a few skills on top of that. 

Along with the skills you get from MAR and WAR, you're also able to make use of skills from GLD and one other that I am not specific on. Probably PUG or Archer or something. 

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by PulsarMan

I find the combat are fine. Responsive and faster than Rift. What attracted me about Final Fantasy XIV: ARR is the class system where you can mix and match different skills from each class together, just like in Final Fantasy XI (III and V as well). You can really build character to suit your playstyle. Final Fantasy also has reputation on story, and I'm looking forward to see how it will present in XIV.

Even though, it is a theme park, it doesn't feel rush like the other. The quest does lead you from one hub to another, but does not feel force to do so.

As a previous player from 1.0, this is the first where I see the game pull it body out from the coffin yell out "I'm not dead, yet!", and try to get it life back to normal. The face look the same, but this time it decided to stop taking drug and apply for a normal job like everyone else. I'm looking forward to see how it goes, and willing to help support it, if it decides to stay sober.

Yeah, I really like the class system too, but I worry that the versatility it offers won't really matter much when you get to the end game, group-oriented content. I mean, if jobs are essentially the more specialized version of the particular class you're using, would there ever be any room for said class in a group setting? That's what bothers me about this system. Even though I'll probably spend much more time playing a MAR with cure spells/etc through the leveling process, I have a feeling that I'll be expected to switch over to the warrior whenever I'm in a group, regardless of whether I want to or not.

To be fair, I haven't really played enough, or know enough about how the system plays out in the late game to make a fair assessment, but I still think that it might have been better if they had went with the same system XI used, regarding jobs. I liked that every job had it's own identity and could be played standalone. With the system they're using in FFXIV, I kind of expect classes to become the red-headed step children later on, at least when it comes to most of the end game content. I hope I'm wrong on that though.

If I'm completely off-base here, and anyone wants to educate me, I'd gladly welcome that.

It works out like this. Your job is in addition to the class you're using. So if you're a marauder with the warrior job, you're still a marauder with all of the marauder skills. The job of warrior adds a few skills on top of that. 

Along with the skills you get from MAR and WAR, you're also able to make use of skills from GLD and one other that I am not specific on. Probably PUG or Archer or something. 

Oh, I'm aware of that. It's just, with the class system, you're able to craft the specific type of character you actually want to play, whereas with the job, you're kind of pigeonholed into that one main role, and the supplementary class skills that go with it.

Considering how the jobs are more specialized for group roles, I fear that there won't be much room for individuality later on in the group game since the jobs lack the freedom and variety that the classes enjoy.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

iam glad SE does its own thing otherwise it would have been mmo #9081212319 with all the same shit we have seen past 10 years.
    it wont be a mmo for evryone, its a pure Final Fantasy mmo, dont like it ? tuff luck /goodbye

What is better is that SE doesnt need to listen to all those forum baby's to maintain high sub numbers.
    They can do it the way they want it without having the need worry about hitting 2 millions subs.

This is what makes me very happy, finaly an mmo that follows a strong developer with a vision instead of finance department screaming to change evrything for the $$$

10/10 SE job well done :)

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by danwest58

Outdated to what?  FFXIV combat is the same as combat from FF, same combat style to WOW,  What combat is new?  Neverwinter?  Tera?  Both action combat systems are for the birds.  They should have been left in Single Player games where they belong.  Most of the time in both games you are just clicking a shoot button like a FPS thats real fun right?  Not!

You sure love to masquerade your opinion as fact (which funnily enough, is what you accused me of, even thought I made it clear that they were my opinions). And yes, by the current trend (leaning toward action style combat) of upcoming MMORPGs, I think it's safe to say that traditional combat system like  FF XIV is outdated.

• ArkudelArkudel Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Originally posted by Mothanos

iam glad SE does its own thing otherwise it would have been mmo #9081212319 with all the same shit we have seen past 10 years.
    it wont be a mmo for evryone, its a pure Final Fantasy mmo, dont like it ? tuff luck /goodbye

What is better is that SE doesnt need to listen to all those forum baby's to maintain high sub numbers.
    They can do it the way they want it without having the need worry about hitting 2 millions subs.

This is what makes me very happy, finaly an mmo that follows a strong developer with a vision instead of finance department screaming to change evrything for the $$$

Isn't the fact that Square Enix staunchly refuses to listen to feedback or criticism of any sort that caused the original FF14 to need this total revamp -- and they did it because the original wasn't making enough money? Because it was a bad game, with a bad interface that I never read a single review actually praising? Personally, I'm ticked that they invited me to the beta, let me download the client, and then promptly decided to region-lock me with no explanation provided at all -- this is classic Square Enix, customers be damned.

And as for you, I hate your stuck up attitude -- if you are any sample of the caliber of players whose sycophantic proselytizing Square Enix will be listening to, as has long been their MO, this remake is going to be as spectacular a failure as the first and rightfully so. In fact, I will do whatever little I can to make sure it dies that much swifter, just because I want to see you crying on the forums, like a baby.

0/10 Mothanos, way to fail.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by SnarkRitter
    Originally posted by danwest58

You sure love to masquerade your opinion as fact (which funnily enough, is what you accused me of, even thought I made it clear that they were my opinions). And yes, by the current trend (leaning toward action style combat) of upcoming MMORPGs, I think it's safe to say that traditional combat system like  FF XIV is outdated.

Wait, you just accused him of masquerading his opinion as fact and you turn around and do the same thing?  Who cares where the combat is leaning towards, it's what people prefer, doesn't make one or the other outdated.  There is nothing outdated with ARR's combat and that's my opinion.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

That's exactly what the game is. It is a typical themepark MMORPG with a couple of twists (like the class system and a FF universe). 

That's exactly what they have done with FF:ARR. They have listened to feedback and made the game far more palatable for the common user. In doing so, they have created a very standard MMORPG experience. And it was done on purpose to appeal to a larger audience.

Really? What you like about the game is that they had a strong vision and stuck with it? The entire reason they changed it was because not enough people were playing the game and therefor not providing them with enough money. You think they scrapped their old version in favor of the new because they had great vision? They had a failure and looked to other games for inspiration on how to build this thing to make it easier for the public to digest.

And there is nothing wrong with looking to other games for examples and ideas on how to build your MMORPG. Obviously there were a lot of people that weren't into their vision the first time. I was personally dumbfounded by their PC UI at the time. This game improves a lot on the old game in a lot of ways but it has also sacrificed a lot in order to try and cater to a larger audience.

I'm not sold on it yet at all but I'm hoping that it gets better at endgame. I have found the 1-20 experience completely average at best. But since people are apparently able to play their level 50's this weekend, I'm hoping for some solid feedback on what the game actually offers.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The game is really really old fashioned.

Graphic is quite good I guess. And it probably holds some value for fans of Final Fantasy.

Other than that , i dont see why anyone would be interested in it.

BTW this was fastest uninstalled MMO ever for me.

Played it for 20 minutes, and uninstalled. I am so fed up playing the same game over and over again ...

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

This type of attitude is exactly what led to version 1.0 and one of the worst financial years in SEs recent history.

The combat in this game is pressing 2, possibly 3 buttons for the first 15 levels which is around 4-5 hours of gameplay. A lot of people probably wont spend much more time than that in a 2 day beta, so its fairly obvious why there are skeptical people here.

The combat has absolutely 0 innovation for the genre. I was doing the exact same rotations in DAOC 12+ years ago.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

The game is really really old fashioned.

Graphic is quite good I guess. And it probably holds some value for fans of Final Fantasy.

Other than that , i dont see why anyone would be interested in it.

Why are you here then?

Originally posted by vandal5627

Wait, you just accused him of masquerading his opinion as fact and you turn around and do the same thing?  Who cares where the combat is leaning towards, it's what people prefer, doesn't make one or the other outdated.  There is nothing outdated with ARR's combat and that's my opinion.

"I think it's safe to say that traditional combat system like  FF XIV is outdated."

Apparently, it was not clear enough for you? Would you mind reading my posts a bit more thoroughly so I don't have to quote myself, again?

Why are you here then?

Because this is an open forum and he's free to express his opinion?
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Nihilist

This type of attitude is exactly what led to version 1.0 and one of the worst financial years in SEs recent history.

The combat in this game is pressing 2, possibly 3 buttons for the first 15 levels which is around 4-5 hours of gameplay. A lot of people probably wont spend much more time than that in a 2 day beta, so its fairly obvious why there are skeptical people here.

The combat has absolutely 0 innovation for the genre. I was doing the exact same rotations in DAOC 12+ years ago.

It's funny to me how many people on these boards want something "more" in a game than combat, yet complain when combat isn't new and different, yet complain when combat is new and different (GW2, AoC, TERA, NW, etc.)

I'm reserving my judgement of FFXIV:ARR combat until I gain a few more levels and start playing with the cross-class abilities and such.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Omgz
    zones and loading screens everywhere... and porno looking characters. lackluster combat and ez mode transportation everywhere. cant beleive anyone would play this tbh. Happy for those that like though, gratz!

I agree with some of this,i don't like auto warping,FFXI did it better.Combat would have been better if straight out sub class liek FFXI instead this game does have less giving per level.

However loading zones??You should realize that NOBODY has a system to allow this game to be completely open ended and it is limited by the PS3 as well,there is going to be some price to pay for being multi platform,nobody else is doing it so,that tells you how above the rest Square Enix is.

Also when you have the high level of quality as in FFXIV you cannot load as much as the low end games.Also realize that unlike other games with static 2D buildings,these actually have insides with architecture and more objects to load.Really people in this day and age should realize what they are looking at in games,there is a big difference between low quality and high quality.

Being said yes there are a lot of areas that this game could improve and/or do differently,lots i don't like but on a whole the game is at least as good or the same as any other with two differences,it lacks pvp and looks better.The lacking in pvp is a huge plus for myself,i hope it never becomes a major part of the game or it will be ruined.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by PulsarMan

Oh, I'm aware of that. It's just, with the class system, you're able to craft the specific type of character you actually want to play, whereas with the job, you're kind of pigeonholed into that one main role, and the supplementary class skills that go with it.

Considering how the jobs are more specialized for group roles, I fear that there won't be much room for individuality later on in the group game since the jobs lack the freedom and variety that the classes enjoy.

Ahh I apologize. I misunderstood.

Yeah, the implemented the job system to give players roles to play in groups. 

Originally posted by SnarkRitter

"I think it's safe to say that traditional combat system like  FF XIV is outdated."

Apparently, it was not clear enough for you? Would you mind reading my posts a bit more thoroughly so I don't have to quote myself, again?

Why are you here then?

Because this is an open forum and he's free to express his opinion?

Going to a games forum in which you're not at all intrested in at all to say you're not interested, I see no point of it?

And my apologies for not reading your comment thoroughly.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The best part about any Final Fantasy mmo is by far the community. They are always so helpful and community is what drives mmos forward. I thought combat was fine. It will be 100% better than the previous version.
  • AsalzSyAsalzSy Member UncommonPosts: 230
    they need to put at least double tap dodge.. TSW did it in last beta & worked very well.. also the need to put a option to auto target in settings for those who want to face the target and hit..Rift did it i think in last beta too but dint work well..sometimes doesnt target anything..those 2 will make the combat much better.
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Originally posted by BadSpock

It's funny to me how many people on these boards want something "more" in a game than combat, yet complain when combat isn't new and different, yet complain when combat is new and different (GW2, AoC, TERA, NW, etc.)

I'm reserving my judgement of FFXIV:ARR combat until I gain a few more levels and start playing with the cross-class abilities and such.

AoC and GW2 are among my favorite MMOs because they have better combat than what was offered 10+ years ago.

90% of the combat is fighting 1 mob at a time pressing 2-3 buttons with a 3.5s GCD. Its not tactical, its 2 buttons.

What makes it semi-bearable is how easy it is. You just blast through mob after mob and can pretty much fight constantly with 0 downtime. Braindead, but bearable for those who like MMOs in general.

Going to a games forum in which you're not at all intrested in at all to say you're not interested, I see no point of it?

Many people sign up for betas because of the brand's name without knowing everything about the game, they got into the beta only to find out that the game doesn't have what interest them. Remember that this game belong to the Final Fantasy brand, a name that by itself brings up a lot of initial interests.

And my apologies for not reading your comment thoroughly.

Apologies accepted.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Its fun to see that negativevposts in general are never longer then 3 lines, and positive posts almost a full page...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)