Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of PvP do you want in EQN

Comments

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Open world PvP within the scope of a dynamic Faction based  system which determines love and admiration to hate and outrage in accordance to your actions from the day you were created and if you commit what would be considered a crime as determined by a certain race, creed, creature type there is bounty placed upon you and you are sought after for reward and if captured you pay the penalty in someway that really affects the player characters gameplay and decisions throughout the game.

Of course there will be cities where guards will respond according to faction and criminals/heros accordingly. Prices of wares being better for players with really good faction in a particular area and so on. Enemies and outlaws will be treated accordingly and often be unable to enter the city unless stealthed or in certain remote areas of the city (i.e. sewers, alleys) and at certain times. Really enjoyed the sewers in Qeynos and Freeport and they would actually have a more immersive feel to them.

Of course there will be tracking in the game and last known sightings of said criminal. Stealth, Pickpocketing, and Stealing will actually come into play. Camoflauge and Ambushing. Imagine the possibilities :)

Would give players the ability to capture and upgrade keeps as well as their own forts and camping areas. Traps could be created and laid out. Give players control of NPCs to guard keeps and forts and camping areas though at costs. Siege Weapons would definitely be a part of the game.

As it has been said there will be dynamic environmental and seasonal changes and with such certain areas would be more affected. Dark and foreboding forests, Caves and Caverns, Deserts, Mountains, Lakes and ponds, Rivers and Creeks, etc...would all have certain affects on the player character which could be mitigated with skills and abilities and spells. Lighting would be an issue for races without nightvision abilities. Terrain would be a determining factor for many to consider.

I would add encumberance to the game so players are limited as to what they can carry and their mounts could carry as it would affect everything. Item and Weapon damage would be a part of the game, as would repair and restoration. Players would have to eat and drink so foraging, hunting, fishing, etc...would be important as would being vigilant whilst doing the aforementioned.

Roleplaying would surely follow such a dynamic setting as everything would be truly immersive and realized by the player and affect every decision and every part of the gameplay experience.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

PVE Server, FFA Server, RP Server, and PvP Server with contested land/resources on good amount of map and consensual PvP everywhere else.

Classes (if present) built and balanced for PVE, PVP players better bring a friend and not cry about "fairness" of skills. Or classless to avoid this issue and have it come down to the player.

While I love PVP (especially DAoC) I don't want DAoC EQ edition (already ESO). EQ is a world of its own and I hope they are going a new original route with everything. Ive had enough mindless banging on castle doors and killing just because u picked a different race then me. The more options the better for all types of players.

Like I said I love PVP, my wife hates it, I would like a game that caters to both of us. Hardcore pvp or pve is not it for us or to the majority of players looking at what games do well. Either building a pretty house or burning it down, I'm guessing we will all have a way to stick our epeens out there.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Either SWG flagging/faction style, or specific servers set for just PvP. If they have open world PvP in ANY form that is not consensual on the main servers then I will walk away from the EQ franchise and never look back. If I wanted Darkfall, I'd be playing it. I do not want to be crafting an item, or harvesting resources and have some jack ass try to back stab me or grief me, Open World PvP allows greifers to be jerks and then makes it the norm. Whether I kill them or not, I don't want my play experience tainted by some random asshat.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Open world PvP within the scope of a dynamic Faction based  system which determines love and admiration to hate and outrage in accordance to your actions from the day you were created and if you commit what would be considered a crime as determined by a certain race, creed, creature type there is bounty placed upon you and you are sought after for reward and if captured you pay the penalty in someway that really affects the player characters gameplay and decisions throughout the game.

Of course there will be cities where guards will respond according to faction and criminals/heros accordingly. Prices of wares being better for players with really good faction in a particular area and so on. Enemies and outlaws will be treated accordingly and often be unable to enter the city unless stealthed or in certain remote areas of the city (i.e. sewers, alleys) and at certain times. Really enjoyed the sewers in Qeynos and Freeport and they would actually have a more immersive feel to them.

Of course there will be tracking in the game and last known sightings of said criminal. Stealth, Pickpocketing, and Stealing will actually come into play. Camoflauge and Ambushing. Imagine the possibilities :)

Would give players the ability to capture and upgrade keeps as well as their own forts and camping areas. Traps could be created and laid out. Give players control of NPCs to guard keeps and forts and camping areas though at costs. Siege Weapons would definitely be a part of the game.

As it has been said there will be dynamic environmental and seasonal changes and with such certain areas would be more affected. Dark and foreboding forests, Caves and Caverns, Deserts, Mountains, Lakes and ponds, Rivers and Creeks, etc...would all have certain affects on the player character which could be mitigated with skills and abilities and spells. Lighting would be an issue for races without nightvision abilities. Terrain would be a determining factor for many to consider.

I would add encumberance to the game so players are limited as to what they can carry and their mounts could carry as it would affect everything. Item and Weapon damage would be a part of the game, as would repair and restoration. Players would have to eat and drink so foraging, hunting, fishing, etc...would be important as would being vigilant whilst doing the aforementioned.

Roleplaying would surely follow such a dynamic setting as everything would be truly immersive and realized by the player and affect every decision and every part of the gameplay experience.

I heard SOE was hiring, please apply. 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I hope there is one ruleset so both PvP and PvE share the same space. The only cavet is that the PvP is consensual and it will benefit both sides due to having more players around.

If someone who would typically be on a PvE server sees someone being attacked they are more apt to jump in and enjoy that window of PvP, net gain for PvP folks. PvE folks would also benefit by simply having another environmental dynamic around and of course "wetting thier beak" when they feel like it.

My only wish is that there is no PvP gear. Fight for resources, fight for a gods favor, fight for ranks or just fight for fun but PvP gear is never a good idea IMO.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by exwin

PvE and PvP segregated servers is the best way to go. The open world PvPers get their playground and PvErs get to do their thing.

Games that force PvE players to PvP don't last long.

If they really want to do something different (along with the obvious different server types which is a MUST for any company with common sense...)...

Then create a complex pvp model.  No flag captures and childish pvp sillyness.  Siege warfare, real cultures, no paladins and orcs fighting together in the typical eq model...etc.

Something with ...DEPTH.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Makes me wonder if...

1. EQ fans are up for a shock as a sandbox type of PvP system comes to be with EQN.

2. PvP fans are upset as PvP is not a focus or even a reality. 

Both seem to be a reality that could happen.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Makes me wonder if...

1. EQ fans are up for a shock as a sandbox type of PvP system comes to be with EQN.

In either case, PVE players are seemingly going to be shocked when they realize there isn't the typical loot centric system of gameplay. I mean, if they don't have the ability to run raids and dungeons for items all day, they will just be shouting that there is no end game.

If I was a betting man I'd say each player could serve a god and have the friends and enemies in game according to the "cliques" of the gods. If you didn't want to PvP you'd either choose to be agnostic or there may be a clique that is neutral. Just a guess but it would really get people involved IMO, even those not apt to PvP because of the strong lore ties.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    PvP and PvE servers, with zones on PvE servers dedicated to optional large scale open world PvP if you'd like, as well as standard structured PvP like battlegrounds and arenas.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Makes me wonder if...

I'd say the "EQ fans" are potentially in for the biggest shock, if all the hype about EQN being "nothing that you've ever seen before" turns out to be actually true.

I don't recall EQ as ever having a huge PVP community or being renowned for it's amazing PVP. So I can't imagine EQ's "PVP community" being shocked if it doesn't deliver a groundbreaking PVP experience.

Even if there isn't an "end game" that doesn't mean it won't appeal to PvE players. The idea that endgame = PvE is just as silly as thinking sandbox = PvP. In fact I think having a sandbox-style (remember, they were very clear about the "style" part) will give everyone more options to play as they like. Georgson said a main design philosophy was to make it fun for everyone.

I have no doubt there will be plenty to do in EQN where PvE is concerned. I'm glad that SoE seems to be righting the ship on what PvE should be about without pigeonholing it into endgame.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Makes me wonder if...

Both teams are screaming "mine!" at the top of their lungs.

Don't think it matters; Smed's probably not reading (here) anyway.

At least we know BM's gonna be happy.  <--see what I did there ahr ahr

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

In either case, PVE players are seemingly going to be shocked when they realize there isn't the typical loot centric system of gameplay. I mean, if they don't have the ability to run raids and dungeons for items all day, they will just be shouting that there is no end game.

Pretty sure no one is going to care drama queen.

If EQNext is forced PVP, EQ players will still play EQ, EQ2 players will still play EQ2 and PVP players will wonder why their game has died like Darkfall has and gets no development support anymore.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

None period.You are never going to do pvp justice in a rpg,to try is just catering to more potential customers,you are not going to do the game any justice.PVp belongs infps's and/or separate it completely form the PVE game.That means separate everything,you cannot expect the same setup in PVE to carry over to pvp unless both are designed poorly.

PVE works best when NOT balanced and pvp needs to be balanced,so they cannot coincide.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

None period.You are never going to do pvp justice in a rpg,to try is just catering to more potential customers,you are not going to do the game any justice.PVp belongs infps's and/or separate it completely form the PVE game.That means separate everything,you cannot expect the same setup in PVE to carry over to pvp unless both are designed poorly.

PVE works best when NOT balanced and pvp needs to be balanced,so they cannot coincide.

Sure you can. Many MMOs have pulled it off very well. Sure PvPers cant get everything they want and same goes for PvEers but many a game has walked the line of keeping an active community of both type of players.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Waterlily

If EQNext is forced PVP, EQ players will still play EQ, EQ2 players will still play EQ2 and PVP players will wonder why their game has died like Darkfall has and gets no development support anymore.

True.

What is more likely to happen, is that they will use the exact same system they used in EQ1, there really isnt any need or demand to change it. The old, if it aint broke don't fix it, would in fact, be the ideal, at least for Everquest fans.image

Originally posted by Phry

True.

What is more likely to happen, is that they will use the exact same system they used in EQ1, there really isnt any need or demand to change it. The old, if it aint broke don't fix it, would in fact, be the ideal, at least for Everquest fans.image

Or like they said this will be nothing like EQ1 or EQ2. Pure PvE game with some side PvP that has no impact on any class is all the former games fall under. Much like themepark vrs sandbox. Maybe SoE thinking is they keep their former games to keep that market and EQN to take a grab at sandbox and PvP gamers. 

Biggest hyped game on mmorpge.com and PvP seems to be the only active threads. I think its time for mmorpg.com to write up something about the topic and really let everyone hash this out before we get any solid info =-) lol My guess is SoE will be doing some type of PvP that will impact PvE, if nothing else in the class balance area. Druid could be a lot of fun in PvP. Not sure how well a Bard would do, would be a PvP king or they would really suck.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I honestly cannot pick one, not until I really see how the game is structured, some of the choices make more sense in different systems, and no sense in others for me.

I don't see FFA fitting EQ, I see some sort of factioned fitting it more, but will have to wait and see what they do.

Originally posted by Xthos

I honestly cannot pick one, not until I really see how the game is structured, some of the choices make more sense in different systems, and no sense in others for me.

I don't see FFA fitting EQ, I see some sort of factioned fitting it more, but will have to wait and see what they do.

Rifts system may work here. Where you pick a faction and PvP with your faction and come back to the PvE areas and team with every faction.

Sure you can. Many MMOs have pulled it off very well. Sure PvPers cant get everything they want and same goes for PvEers but many a game has walked the line of keeping an active community of both type of players.

And yet the Everquest games have managed to outlive many other games that do cater to the PVP community. EQ1 is still going, and for all its faults so is EQ2, the biggest problem with catering to the PVP community, is that its a relatively small one, that doesnt tend to stick with games long term, its always the next 'thrill'  - rather than the PVE community which oddly enough, is usually in it for the long haul. As has already been demonstrated. image

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Faction based open world PvP where you start out as a particular faction based on some combination of race/class/deity but give you the ability to change your faction via quests.

That being said, I played EQ1 for years and wouldn't mind no PvP at all.

And yet the Everquest games have managed to outlive many other games that do cater to the PVP community. EQ1 is still going, and for all its faults so is EQ2, the biggest problem with catering to the PVP community, is that its a relatively small one, that doesnt tend to stick with games long term, its always the next 'thrill'  - rather than the PVE community which oddly enough, is usually in it for the long haul. As has already been demonstrated. image

Thats a hard call to make when EQ1 and EQ2 were made before most MMOs. If WoW was made in 1999 would your comment hold any validity? If DAoC keep getting updated like EQ1 and not dumped by EA to make Warhammer would it still have solid numbers? I think it would as thats where I would have stayed.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

True.

This is exactly why people think the PVE crowd on this forum is unreasonable. Between posts like these, and threads on camping times, and experience loss, it's as if they have their head in the sand.

When Smedley says:

"I also said in there that it will still be very familiar to you, but what I meant by that statement is that we're changing what an MMO is. MMO means something now, and it means the same thing to everybody because it's the same game. EverQuest, WoW, SWTOR all use the same core loot gameplay, which is kill stuff, get reward, get loot, level up. Very few games have broken out of that mold. One or two have. EVE Online is a great example; it's not standard level-based gameplay, although I'm not saying we're going to a big skill-based system. You're still going to recognize the roleplaying game heritage in it. In EverQuest Next, the world itself is a part of the game. What is the world in these other games? It's a simple backdrop. It's nothing. We are changing that greatly. We're changing what AI is in these games to a degree that we're going to bring life to the world. That to us is the essence of the change that we're making."

...and people simply don't believe or accept it, is just the height of irrationality.

True.

Or like they said this will be nothing like EQ1 or EQ2. Pure PvE game with some side PvP that has no impact on any class is all the former games fall under. Much like themepark vrs sandbox. Maybe SoE thinking is they keep their former games to keep that market and EQN to take a grab at sandbox and PvP gamers. 

Biggest hyped game on mmorpge.com and PvP seems to be the only active threads. I think its time for mmorpg.com to write up something about the topic and really let everyone hash this out before we get any solid info =-) lol My guess is SoE will be doing some type of PvP that will impact PvE, if nothing else in the class balance area. Druid could be a lot of fun in PvP. Not sure how well a Bard would do, would be a PvP king or they would really suck.

I sincerely doubt that is the case, as for EQ1 etc there was PVP in the game, there were even arena's where you could fight tournaments if you were of a mind to. And there was a certain amount of faction combat, as a dark elf straying too close to a good many places was a recipe to get aggro'd by the guards.  In some ways it was much like the alliance v horde thing in WoW, and open world oddly enough. Its doubtful that SOE would feel any real need to change it, it worked.