Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Gaming Consoles

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During E3, the MMO space was rocked by the announcement that several big MMO titles would be headed to next-gen consoles. What is the likelihood of success? We take a look at that today and hope you'll offer your thoughts in the comments after reading.

While MMORPG.com is so undoubtedly pro-PC that it has a bumper sticker to that effect on the company station wagon (editor, Billy Murphy, reportedly has several tattoos declaring love to Windows 8) there is a lure and attraction to talk about console online games. With the exception of oodles of CoDs, BFs, GoWs, and the odd DC Universe Online, there aren't many fantastical realms to explore with you and your level 72 buddy.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Tingle's Touchy Subjects: Gaming Consoles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Console mmos are about as social as the DMV.. 

and about as much fun.

people who play on consoles are casual players, they sit in the living room playing a game until dancing with the stars is on.

MMos are for dedicated pc players looking for a virtual word to escape into and be a part of a community, not sit on the couch half asleep while your wife complains that your hogging the tv.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Times they are a changing.

Like it or not, they are.

Soon the consoles will replace the DVR/DVP/Blu-Ray/cablebox/roku...all of that will be 1 device. The console. It will most likely fill the role of audio center as well.

I think that is what M$ is aiming for.  Better or worse, that is where I see it going.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Consoles...

• The console community make the PC-MMO community look like sophisticated and honest businessmen.
    • The console controller users, which make up virtually all of them, will never allow mouse and keyboard users to compete or play the same games. Thus, we will be limited to the basic controls of a controller.
    • I have never experienced a deep and complex Online game via console.
    • Kids, Kids, and more Kids.
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by WellzyC

and about as much fun.

people who play on consoles are casual players, they sit in the living room playing a game until dancing with the stars is on.

MMos are for dedicated pc players looking for a virtual word to escape into and be a part of a community, not sit on the couch half asleep while your wife complains that your hogging the tv.

Silly statement is silly..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94

and about as much fun.

What a narrow view. I have friends who I escape into virtual worlds with on a PC and friends that I can waste an entire night with on the console. Both are equally enjoyable for me. My wife actually gets into a lot of the storylines of the campaigns I play on the console. ** Warfighter Spoiler - I still laugh at the moment when Mother dies in Warfighter hearing her gasp and tell me to go get that Effer.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743
    When the console allows a valid mouse/keyboard option I will have one in my Mancave. Until then you can keep the disjointed thumb controls to the masses.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The ability to do voice on a console kind of removes most of the issues that the games had in the past (no keyboard).  Technically you could even have it be powerful enough to be given voice choices at menus and such so that if you conversed with an NPC you wouldn't need to hit the controller.

High Definition removed the other issue.  You can read text clearly on a TV as well.  Essentially the convergence has occurred and the main thing that PCs have over consoles is that they have more power to them.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

MMORPG's have been consistently evolving since the glory days of UO.

Every year, they become more "action oriented" and more "casual friendly". Nowadays, anyone can reach level-cap in an MMORPG with just a week or two of solo play. And that's how the vast majority of gamers play MMORPG's.

In most modern MMO's, "community" is something that is only discussed in forum threads, usually in posts titled something like: "Why is there no communty in this game ?"

And with the offerings available in many of the F2P Cash Shops, you can buy yourself the cool stuff if you don't have enough time to grind for it.

MMORPG's have evolved to the point where they are actually quite fun to play if you don't like MMORPG's...

I think MMO's on console will be very successfull, and will make lots of money for developers.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

and about as much fun.

That might be the most ignorant thing I've seen posted on this site. Ever.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    If the game REQUIRED a kb+m to play on the console... i would be fine with it being cross platform
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

What a load of crap.

First - the "facts" are wrong. FFXIV is releasing on the PS3 as well as PC on Aug 27th - it is releasing on PS4 in 2014 as well. A columnist writing for an MMO site should get their facts together before being published.

Second - both PS3 and PS4 and probably 360 and XB1 support USB keyboards, and both PS3 and XB360 have "texting pad" peripherals to enable easy text-based chat. Everyone over the age of 5 and under the age of 60 should be pretty damn good at thumb typing these days.

Third - if the comments in this forum, or the millions of dumb ass comments on internet boards across the 'verse and in the general chat of your favorite PC MMO are any indication, the ratio of immature dumb asses to "mature" players is the same on console as it is on PC.

About 10,000,000 to 1.

Fourth - the idea that having a dozen full hotbars = complexity has been dispelled a million and a half times over, so control scheme is about as valid of an argument as the grand "maturity" of the PC community.

Fifth - many, many MMOs are coming to the next gen consoles - you can either continue to bitch and moan like children, or accept the fact that gaming is changing. The kids will never get off your lawn, and no one cares that you walked uphill through the snow both ways.

This is all coming from a 25+ year PC AND console gaming veteran, and 13+ year MMO veteran who cut my virtual avatar teeth dodging PK's outside Brittania.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by WellzyC   Console mmos are about as social as the DMV..    and about as much fun.   people who play on consoles are casual players, they sit in the living room playing a game until dancing with the stars is on.  MMos are for dedicated pc players looking for a virtual word to escape into and be a part of a community, not sit on the couch half asleep while your wife complains that your hogging the tv.
    That might be the most ignorant thing I've seen posted on this site. Ever.

Give it time buddy, give it time.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Soon the consoles will replace the DVR/DVP/Blu-Ray/cablebox/roku...all of that will be 1 device. The console. It will most likely fill the role of audio center as well.

I think that is what M$ is aiming for.  Better or worse, that is where I see it going.

I have a friend who takes old computers he buys very cheap and makes them into entertainment centers, about the only thing he has to install in them is a cheap blueray player and sometimes a cheap graphics card if they have imbedded intel graphics.  They can do far more than any console can atm, probably more than the new ones and he sells them for far less than the cost of a console.

The only reason I have a console in the house is for the small kids, even the pre teens play their games on the PC.

Consoles are for the uneducated people who are too lazy to look for something better.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I don't know about Xbox or 360, but my old sea dream cast had a keyboard and mouse support. I played PSO with them

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think since FFXI was only a PS2 game and is a great game,the chance of success is 100% it all depends on the developer.

There is an added cost to developing for all platforms and in case of FFXi and FFXIV you need to balance between profit and loss.There was not enough Xbox players to do FFXI but eventually after years,i guess they broke down and did it anyhow.Once again Square is slow to bring Xbox on board.I believe it is all about numbers,not enough interest on that platform for the game.Simple reasoning is that they actually struggled more to do the PS3 port than the Xbox one on their other console titles,so the slow down is definitely nothing to do with ability to port ,it is all about lack of interest.

I might add that the over  all consensus is that the PS4 is user friendly for the developer where as PS3 was everything but.I am not sure yet weather the Xbox1 is as user friendly.not much word on that yet.

The talk about wondering and fiddling to get your game to work on PC,is a thing long in the past.I am still running a very old machine and have  not a single problem loading any game.I also am witnessing the second PS console to go by before my single PC purchase,so PC's are outlasting consoles now.

The original price of the Ps3 and assuming the new PS4,i would say that is 600-800 bucks spent on  both limited machines,where as my PC is just one purchase from about 7 years ago.2006 i got my AMD and Nvidia 8800 PC.Who knows there might be another PS console in two years and i might still be using this PC.I did not even need this one,i was playing EQ2 on my PC before that,i only bought the new one just because i was bored and had the extra cash.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• glitchhawkglitchhawk Member Posts: 9

I love that mmos are coming to consoles. is something I've wanted for a long time.  and consoles are NOT for casual players only. theres plenty of awesome hardcore console gamers. mobile games are for casual. ive heard enough of m+k beat controller to last a lifetime and its simply not true. whatever your more comfortable with is what wins. mmos like ffxi ffxiv and defiance all do controller mmos just fine. I play games on consoles and pc and I have a really good pc. but alot of times I prefer to just sit down and use a console.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by BadSpock

What a load of crap.

First - the "facts" are wrong. FFXIV is releasing on the PS3 as well as PC on Aug 27th - it is releasing on PS4 in 2014 as well. A columnist writing for an MMO site should get their facts together before being published.

Second - both PS3 and PS4 and probably 360 and XB1 support USB keyboards, and both PS3 and XB360 have "texting pad" peripherals to enable easy text-based chat. Everyone over the age of 5 and under the age of 60 should be pretty damn good at thumb typing these days.

Third - if the comments in this forum, or the millions of dumb ass comments on internet boards across the 'verse and in the general chat of your favorite PC MMO are any indication, the ratio of immature dumb asses to "mature" players is the same on console as it is on PC.

About 10,000,000 to 1.

Fourth - the idea that having a dozen full hotbars = complexity has been dispelled a million and a half times over, so control scheme is about as valid of an argument as the grand "maturity" of the PC community.

Fifth - many, many MMOs are coming to the next gen consoles - you can either continue to bitch and moan like children, or accept the fact that gaming is changing. The kids will never get off your lawn, and no one cares that you walked uphill through the snow both ways.

This is all coming from a 25+ year PC AND console gaming veteran, and 13+ year MMO veteran who cut my virtual avatar teeth dodging PK's outside Brittania.

Have to disagree.  People who buy consoles do not buy keyboards or mice to any extent.   Console people usually use voice, which is fine, but it really breaks any rpg elements of the game.

If you are in any kind of a pvp event and you are playing on a console with a controller and I am on a PC with mouse/keyboard, I will own you all the time.  If you notice most game servers do not mix the console people with the PC people for that reason.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Four0Six

I have a friend who takes old computers he buys very cheap and makes them into entertainment centers, about the only thing he has to install in them is a cheap blueray player and sometimes a cheap graphics card if they have imbedded intel graphics.  They can do far more than any console can atm, probably more than the new ones and he sells them for far less than the cost of a console.

The only reason I have a console in the house is for the small kids, even the pre teens play their games on the PC.

Consoles are for the uneducated people who are too lazy to look for something better.

Silly statement is silly.

Although your techy friend story is nice and everything. His end product doesnt just equate to a XBox, PS3, etc. Yeah "tech'-nically" it does but come on man.

All you did here was use some story of tech-mumbo jumbo that holds a bit of truth to support your end statement which is just plain ridiculous.

But it's your opinion and that's you, but man.. Ya'll PC guys really need to catch up to the times. It's you all that are the archaic children in this. Most times Console gamers don't even take the time to bash on PC like that. Maybe so on other forums but this is the one I frequent and it's a rarity.

But constantly with the PC crowd bashing on the console market. When clearly these are two seperate entities for gaming, they exist seperately although serviving a mutual purpose.

To game..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I already have FFXIV 1.0 so don't have to buy ARR for PC but after reading you can play the same characters regardless of platform I've pre-ordered it on PS3 also. I expect to do most of my gaming on the PC version but there are times when you just want to relax and being able to switch to the console will be ideal. If the tech works well with ARR I'd be happy to cross platform in the same way with other MMO's, I'm looking at you EQNext!
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

What a load of crap.

About 10,000,000 to 1.

Have to disagree.  People who buy consoles do not buy keyboards or mice to any extent.   Console people usually use voice, which is fine, but it really breaks any rpg elements of the game.

If you are in any kind of a pvp event and you are playing on a console with a controller and I am on a PC with mouse/keyboard, I will own you all the time.  If you notice most game servers do not mix the console people with the PC people for that reason.

False.

I am 100x better with shooters on console than on PC. Your theory has been disproven on these boards and many others a thousand times. 

It takes just as much skill to play COD or Halo etc. on console as it does to play CS or BF etc. on PC.

The reason you don't see mix now is because A) Microsoft has a generally completely closed off network structure through XBOX live, so no cross-play with PC/PS except in VERY rare cases (one of them being MMO) and B) PS3 was/is coded with crazy custom processor and unique architecture, hard to cross-platform and devs hated PS3 to PC or XB ports because of it.

Both XB1 and PS4 are x86 just like the PC gaming world, PS4 is opening realm of cross-platform play, XB1 might for some games, but is probably still going to be a b!tch and segregate themselves on a lot of titles.

I promise you there will be cross platform games between PC and the new consoles, and your theory is going to fly out the window each and every time some "console noob" beats you.

• dreadlordnafdreadlordnaf Member UncommonPosts: 88

Am I the only gamer over 30 who posts on these forums?  The potshots that "Tingle" takes on consoles are pathetic and devoid of any understanding on why many people prefer and enjoy consoles: its called real life.

Many of you reading are probably in your late teens or college.  Have fun during this time,, seriously.  I gamed like a madman then...  But for all respective purposes if your life were an RPG, you are basically still in the tutorial and have yet to venture out into the real game. Not dissing you, just pointing out a fact. 

Here is why consoles are going to become more popular and them bringing more sophisticated games to the console is a good thing.  Once many of you get a real job where you spend 8 hours a day in an office in front of a computer, tell me how it feels physically to go home and spend hours more in front of one just to enjoy your favorite game.  It sucks trust me and can lead to some severe health problems in your back, hands, and wrists.

Also once you get married and have a family the living room becomes a more essential part of your life.  Being able to game in an open area where you also have an easy view of any kids playing with their toys in the foreground is essential.   It also has a more social aspect to it if you are on the couch playing, while for example your wife or significant other is messing around on her tablet next to you.  While this seems like a very passive bonding experience, there is something very real to it over isolating yourself in another room hunkered over a PC. 

Most of my friends like me who started gaming at an early age have not given it up and see no reason to as we get older.  But it is necessary to adapt how you game to make it more compatible with real life around you.  Given grown up gamers have high disposable income it is hard to imagine game developers ignoring this aspect either.  It is unfortunate the author, Mr. Tingle doesnt even acknowledge this.  Though judging by his picture, it appears in the "RPG of life" he recently just finished character creation and so really has no first hand experience what mid and end-game content actually consists of. 

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by dreadlordnaf

Am I the only gamer over 30 who posts on these forums?  The potshots that "Tingle" takes on consoles are pathetic and devoid of any understanding on why many people prefer and enjoy consoles: its called real life.

Many of you reading are probably in your late teens or college.  Have fun during this time,, seriously.  I gamed like a madman then...  But for all respective purposes if your life were an RPG, you are basically still in the tutorial and have yet to venture out into the real game. Not dissing you, just pointing out a fact. 

Here is why consoles are going to become more popular and them bringing more sophisticated games to the console is a good thing.  Once many of you get a real job where you spend 8 hours a day in an office in front of a computer, tell me how it feels physically to go home and spend hours more in front of one just to enjoy your favorite game.  It sucks trust me and can lead to some severe health problems in your back, hands, and wrists.

Also once you get married and have a family the living room becomes a more essential part of your life.  Being able to game in an open area where you also have an easy view of any kids playing with their toys in the foreground is essential.   It also has a more social aspect to it if you are on the couch playing, while for example your wife or significant other is messing around on her tablet next to you.  While this seems like a very passive bonding experience, there is something very real to it over isolating yourself in another room hunkered over a PC. 

Most of my friends like me who started gaming at an early age have not given it up and see no reason to as we get older.  But it is necessary to adapt how you game to make it more compatible with real life around you.  Given grown up gamers have high disposable income it is hard to imagine game developers ignoring this aspect either.  It is unfortunate the author, Mr. Tingle doesnt even acknowledge this.  Though judging by his picture, it appears in the "RPG of life" he recently just finished character creation and so really has no first hand experience what mid and end-game content actually consists of. 

PCs do not have to be typical PCs shoved in another room

My PC is like a next gen games console already. I have my PC connected to my main TV and use a Xbox 360 controller for Windows. The only difference between Xbox 360 and my PC is the shape of the box, and playing GTA IV on the PC has far better graphics.

If more games come out on PC, you could get people creating their own designed games consoles - It could end up becoming quite interesting. I built my PC myself, and thinking about creating and selling PCs, but designed more as a games console that plugs into the TV, than a monitor

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

What a load of crap.

About 10,000,000 to 1.

False.

I am 100x better with shooters on console than on PC. Your theory has been disproven on these boards and many others a thousand times. 

It takes just as much skill to play COD or Halo etc. on console as it does to play CS or BF etc. on PC.

The reason you don't see mix now is because A) Microsoft has a generally completely closed off network structure through XBOX live, so no cross-play with PC/PS except in VERY rare cases (one of them being MMO) and B) PS3 was/is coded with crazy custom processor and unique architecture, hard to cross-platform and devs hated PS3 to PC or XB ports because of it.

Both XB1 and PS4 are x86 just like the PC gaming world, PS4 is opening realm of cross-platform play, XB1 might for some games, but is probably still going to be a b!tch and segregate themselves on a lot of titles.

I promise you there will be cross platform games between PC and the new consoles, and your theory is going to fly out the window each and every time some "console noob" beats you.

It has been proven repeatedly, that a mouse/keyboard combination in a FPS game is significantly faster/more accurate than a game pad, to such an extent that even a mediocre player can defeat an expert using a gamepad, i find it impossible to believe that you have not read this, as it is remarkably well documented. Microsoft even killed off a project after the huge disparity in gameplay between the two resulted in the console players being utterly devastated every single match. The only way to make a console more competitive in a FPS vs a PC's keyboard/mouse combo, is to have 'assisted' aim. Which most find pretty unnacceptable. image

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I think the idea of mmos on consoles are great but I think the real question will be can Zenimax make a good console mmo ? Consoles are more about being more comfortable playing your games. I can kick my feet up and relax while playing. The other thing is that I love that I do not need make 1000 macros and remember them all, just a few button presses and that is all it takes.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    I think the idea of mmos on consoles are great but I think the real question will be can Zenimax make a good console mmo ? Consoles are more about being more comfortable playing your games. I can kick my feet up and relax while playing. The other thing is that I love that I do not need make 1000 macros and remember them all, just a few button presses and that is all it takes.

The good thing about PCs nowadays is that they can be like consoles - you can have them at a desk as they normally have been or plug them into a TV, and be like a console and relax just the same on the couch with a controller.

Console games do not tend to be designed to be played like PC games though, and they do not get keyboard / mouse as official accessories, although used to, so consoles are more restricted to just controller.

I've got Defiance for PC, and I can either play using a keyboard/mouse or the Xbox controller, the game is configured for both

The PS4 and Xbox ONE will match the top PCs but soon they will become out of date. They are mainly built on PC hardware, and the Steam box is just a small PC that is console shaped, and can be upgraded.

I think official consoles will die out, and people will design up to date consoles more frequently with PC hardware. It is getting ridiculous getting new consoles and then can not play old games on them, but you can with PC

The Wii U and its controller is about the only console that could do MMOs well, and its screen controller will make good use of the hotbars in MMOs. I hope someone does a MMO on the Wii U as it is just wasting away the opportunity at the moment.