Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700

BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

These headphones (Audio Technica ATH-AD700) come very highly recommended for positional gaming.  Low bass with great mid to high ranges.  I can buy this for approximately $100 and was also thinking of buying the recommended Creative Z sound card.  I'm just wondering if anyone has these two products?

The headphones are ugly but I don't care as long as the sound is good.  I know they don't come with a mic, but that is easily rectified with a  Zalman ZM-MIC1 Microphone.

My concern is I'm a little hard on hearing (my wife would probably say a lot...but some of that is selective) and I was wondering if a good headphones perks would be lost on me.  Right now I use a creative fatality headset.  I know its crap.  The sound output is also not very loud in the main game I play (Darkfall).  I know the soundcard provides a good boost as one day I borrowed a friends for a minute.

So, what do you guys think?

Comments

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

for headphones with good quality/decent sound levels and great for gaming i use

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PC-3-Chat-Headset/dp/B005HWEYN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371566164&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+pc+3

Pound for Pound personally ive not found a better headset, obviously i cannot commend on their ability with hard of hearing but this are the boys i use

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

This is the site I read that gave the different recommendations.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1014902/ocns-most-recommended-audio-products

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

I have the Creative Z Soundcard with some lower range external logitech speakers (surround) and works well with the headset ive linked.

Sorry i cannot help with the orginal post :) but can only offer on what i have :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

Originally posted by w407309

I have the Creative Z Soundcard with some lower range external logitech speakers (surround) and works well with the headset ive linked.

Sorry i cannot help with the orginal post :) but can only offer on what i have :)

I appreciate your input. 

So I went ahead and upgraded and bought the creative Z soundcard accompanied with the Auido Technica AD-700 headphones. OMG are these things good. With my old headset, I would have it cranked and could hardly hear anything. Now I can hear the whisper of people running on grass from 50 feet away. It's almost like its cheating.

Three things about the headphones.
    1) They are ugly (Purple'ish)
    2) Not adjustable and could be a problem if you have a small head. I have a medium sized bean and it does not fit snug but it is comfortable. Big headphones but very light over the ear.
    3) No microphone (Which didnt matter because I got the beam microphone with the sound card and everyone seems to be able to hear me perfectly.)

These things are fantastic for positional sound.  These things are night and day difference from my old set up.  Like a blind man being able to see for the first time.  Sorry, I'm gushing. 

Anyways for anyone interested, I highly recommend it.