Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of PvP do you want in EQN

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Pick the option that sounds closest to what you are looking for. We all get that the core model can have things added and taken away from. Adding or removing a flag system as an eg. Please try and read them all before you vote.

1. Large open world continent for PvE and a large open world continent for PvP. Letting guilds build castles and keeps that can be sieged. Maybe a flag system depending on SoE. Some mixing of PvP and PvE. Lots of open world PvP and tends to feel sandboxish. Kinda like Archeage. 

2. Ever race plays together in one open world. You pick a faction and PvP for that faction on a PvP map set aside from the PvE area. With castles and keeps that can be sieged (maybe again build by guilds). When your done PvPing you come back to play with everyone from every faction. Something like Rift. 

3. GW2 Model: You play PvE with your server and no PvP takes place anywhere. Q up and fight 2 other servers in a battleground map thats so large it almost feels like open world but not really. Every few weeks you fight different servers. PvP and PvE never mix.

4. ESO model: 3 faction model done like DAoC with a twist. Castles and keeps that can be sieged, open world dungeons and a mega dungeon the winning side of the PvP battle gets to use that has phat loot. Has towns with quest hubs and crafting nodes for top level crafting on this battleground. Has so much PvE on the map it feels much more like open world but again not fully. No lowbe hunting. PvP and PvE never mix unless you want to PvE on the PvP map.

5. DAoC model: 3 factions fight on a battleground with castles and keeps that can be sieged. Instanced dungeon with wicked loot the 3 factions fight to control and own that has phat loot.The race you pick sets what faction you play with. PvP and PvE never mix and you play how you want. And you always fight the same group of guilds from the other factions. You get to know their tactics and this creates a real depth in the PvP but still not really open world.

6. FFA PvP, everywhere and any where. What else they add like castles and keeps that can be sieged, is up to SoE but its more about PvP can be anywhere. PvP and PvE mix allot and may or may not have a flag system. may or may not have factions and sometimes safe areas. Like SWG, EVE and Linage 2.

7. WoW model: PvE and PvP servers with contested zones on the PvP servers and more contested PvP zones the higher level you get. Even on PvE servers you must deal with the flag system and forced to PvP, there are some well known methods for doing that.

8. Other: Explain 

9. No PvP system at all, lets make it all about PvE so skills and classes never have to be balanced so we have pure PvE. 

Comments

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Instanced low risk safe zone hugging.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

PvE and PvP segregated servers is the best way to go. The open world PvPers get their playground and PvErs get to do their thing.

Games that force PvE players to PvP don't last long.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    a bit of everything arena, guild vs guild stuff everything but open non consensual pvp   leave that to the pvp servers/shards
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I voted for no PvP.  In my experience, PvP has NEVER been done well in pretty much any game and either ruins immersion or PvE balance.

In the "real world", any person can kill anyone else at any time.  In the "real world", there are consequences that result in 99% of the population never doing it.  Until such time as a developer can design a thorough enough consequence system to mimic this, it's just simpler to have no PvP at all.  

If there is to be PvP, i would like to have PvP skills, levels and gear be completely separate from PvE.  I hate seeing massive nerfs or adjustments to PvE combat just because someone found a way to exploit something in PvP.  In terms of open world vs. not, I am fully ok with open world pvp anytime, anywhere, so long as you can opt in/out of it (i.e. flag yourself). I'm sympathetic to people that want to kill each other anywhere they want for fun and I'm happy to live and let live.  They can PvP with those of like mind and leave me be to my PvE game.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Open PVP but regulated by law. Like in AoW

So who wants to PK, risks to be hunted down and put in prison for time.

I mean PKers love challenge, dont they ;)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

3 factions....24/7 persistent world, struggle for territorial control.Faction control of territory remains until retaken by enemy,keep sieges,design factors to minimize zerg.

No ffa pvp

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Let the players choose their alliances and have a flagging system.  Basically do it like swg did it.  
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

If a game has challenging PvE I would prefer that without any PvP. E.g. like EQ.

In case challenging PvE is not possible (for whatever reasons) or PvP is the focus of the game I prefer PvP which has a purpose beside the pure factor of killing others. Example for bad PvP without any purpose: EQ2. Examples for good PvP: EVE, DAoC.

Whatever EQN does, if they do it right, be it with or without PvP, I will like it. If it is some half baked nonsense I will not like it.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    the EQ franchise is one that should have zero PVP....Having it in EQ1 was a pain in the ass and they even changed some PVE things because of the effect it had on PVP.......Make the game PVE from the ground up.....THe problem is that SOE usually tries to please everyone (and you know how vocal those PVP people can get), but almost every single MMO on the market has some form of PVP....For years many of us have been clamoring for a PVE only game yet every single one feels they have to have PVP.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I loved the DAoC model. By far the best PvP I have ever played. Its simple, it has depth you dont get unless you played it and pure PvEers never have to worry about PvP or getting flagged. PvPers have their space and have a blast doing so. Would like to see guild made keeps and castles added to this system as well but I dont think we will see this model in EQN.
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

None of those? How about EVE with Everquest lore and assets? In the regions around the main cities, you are a lot safer as long as you are apart of your race's faction. Guards are a lot more prevalent. The farther you get into the wilderness, the less guards there are and finally you reach a point where players can guild their own cities and they create their own factions.

I will throw my vote behind FFA since the rest of the options are just bad.

Originally posted by ice-vortex
    None of those? How about EVE with Everquest lore and assets? In the regions around the main cities, you are a lot safer as long as you are apart of your race's faction. Guards are a lot more prevalent. The farther you get into the wilderness, the less guards there are and finally you reach a point where players can guild their own cities and they create their own factions.

That would be other... sorry never played Eve and have no clue what its about. The little I read didnt appeal to me. Or would it fall under FFA PvP. Is it not?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Pick the option that sounds closest to what you are looking for. We all get that the core model can have things added and taken away from. Adding or removing a flag system as an eg. Please try and read them all before you vote.

1. Large open world continent for PvE and a large open world continent for PvP. Letting guilds build castles and keeps that can be sieged. Maybe a flag system depending on SoE. Some mixing of PvP and PvE. Lots of open world PvP and tends to feel sandboxish. Kinda like Archeage. 

2. Ever race plays together in one open world. You pick a faction and PvP for that faction on a PvP map set aside from the PvE area. With castles and keeps that can be sieged (maybe again build by guilds). When your done PvPing you come back to play with everyone from every faction. Something like Rift. 

3. GW2 Model: You play PvE with your server and no PvP takes place anywhere. Q up and fight 2 other servers in a battleground map thats so large it almost feels like open world but not really. Every few weeks you fight different servers. PvP and PvE never mix.

4. ESO model: 3 faction model done like DAoC with a twist. Castles and keeps that can be sieged, open world dungeons and a mega dungeon the winning side of the PvP battle gets to use that has phat loot. Has towns with quest hubs and crafting nodes for top level crafting on this battleground. Has so much PvE on the map it feels much more like open world but again not fully. No lowbe hunting. PvP and PvE never mix unless you want to PvE on the PvP map.

5. DAoC model: 3 factions fight on a battleground with castles and keeps that can be sieged. Instanced dungeon with wicked loot the 3 factions fight to control and own that has phat loot.The race you pick sets what faction you play with. PvP and PvE never mix and you play how you want. And you always fight the same group of guilds from the other factions. You get to know their tactics and this creates a real depth in the PvP but still not really open world.

6. FFA PvP, everywhere and any where. What else they add like castles and keeps that can be sieged, is up to SoE but its more about PvP can be anywhere. PvP and PvE mix allot and may or may not have a flag system.

7. WoW model: PvE and PvP servers with contested zones on the PvP servers and more contested PvP zones the higher level you get. Even on PvE servers you must deal with the flag system and forced to PvP, there are some well known methods for doing that.

9. No PvP system at all, lets make it all about PvE so skills and classes never have to be balanced so we have pure PvE. 

The EQ model.

PVP servers and non PVP servers.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Other.. SWG's pre-cu faction, merc/neutral system

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

That would be other... sorry never played Eve and have no clue what its about. The little I read didnt appeal to me. Or would it fall under FFA PvP. Is it not?

It would be FFA except that no one can reasonably try to PVP in highsec, though you still aren't 100% completely safe there.

Originally posted by DMKano

Intelligent PvP with real consequences. If you kill another innocent player, you should be treated as a murderer by all.

It has to be meaningful, otherwise you have Dark fall, which has already be done to death.

Killing for the sake of killing is boring, it trivializes death and murder, and there are metric crapton of games like that already. Darkfalls PvP is not hardcore, its safe and familiar, death and killing have little meaning, as they happen a lot and players have extra armor sets, extra mounts..., its a safe predictable system in the end.

I hope EQN breaks the mold, and not have the same old tired PvP, that means nothing in the end.

Lol, Age Of Wushu/Wulin has already broken the mold, you just don't know it because you haven't played it.

1. http://uk.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/Crime_and_Punishment

2. http://uk.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/Imprisonment_System

The force is strong with no PvP system at all =-) That would be unique in this market as no one is doing a pure PvE MMO and that has a huge impact on classes and skills.
    The force is strong with no PvP system at all =-) That would be unique in this market as no one is doing a pure PvE MMO and that has a huge impact on classes and skills.

Did you really think it was going to be any different where the EQ ip is concerned, think you are underestimating how strong a pull PVE has where the EQ  ip is concerned.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Did you really think it was going to be any different where the EQ ip is concerned, think you are underestimating how strong a pull PVE has where the EQ  ip is concerned.

Not shocked... more interested in the numbers and tried to make the options as unbiased as I could.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    the EQ franchise is one that should have zero PVP....Having it in EQ1 was a pain in the ass and they even changed some PVE things because of the effect it had on PVP.......Make the game PVE from the ground up.....THe problem is that SOE usually tries to please everyone (and you know how vocal those PVP people can get), but almost every single MMO on the market has some form of PVP....For years many of us have been clamoring for a PVE only game yet every single one feels they have to have PVP.

how about removing pointless PvE/PVP seperation and make it PvAll.

I am sick of unrealistic player seperation.

Give us finally a triple A FFA PvAll sandbox with ONE WORLD.

no silly flags, no mode servers, no pandering.. for once!

Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Theocritus

how about removing pointless PvE/PVP seperation and make it PvAll.

I am sick of unrealistic player seperation.

Give us finally a triple A FFA PvAll sandbox with ONE WORLD.

no silly flags, no mode servers, no pandering.. for once!

My guess is there is a 0% chance of that happening with EQN.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

good poll OP.

The only problem i see is that it will reflect the wants of all posters here on mmorpg.com, not necessarily the ones who want to play EQNext.

Personally i would like to see this as a PVE game, When I want to play PVP I will play PVP games like PS2.

Originally posted by Zarriya

good poll OP.

The only problem i see is that it will reflect the wants of all posters here on mmorpg.com, not necessarily the ones who want to play EQNext.

Personally i would like to see this as a PVE game, When I want to play PVP I will play PVP games like PS2.

I think option 9 is what you are looking for.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

NO PVP AT ALL...tired of games thinking they HAVE to have pvp to be a good game.  I prefer pve and want a game that caters to that.  Screw the pvpers they have enough games out there to choose from.  Where are the AAA PVE ONLY games?

The only pvp I would condone in EQN is if they had a seperate server like they did in EQ1.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

6. FFA PvP, everywhere and any where. What else they add like castles and keeps that can be sieged, is up to SoE but its more about PvP can be anywhere. PvP and PvE mix allot and may or may not have a flag system.

The EQ model.

PVP servers and non PVP servers.

This pritty much, i wanna sea various team based PvP server like there were on EQ1, PvP Diety (good vs evil vs Nuetrals), PvP race teams (Elfs vs short races vs evil races vs humanoid races) and may aswell throw in a FFAPvP server like rallos zek for those Hardcore PvPers i think ill stick to a team one since it has some reason to PvP appart from gank feast u usualy find in FFA ones. I would also like to see some loot envolved in PvP for example u get to loot the coins in the enemies u kill i wouldnt say full loot just coins however full loot can work on game where gears easy to obtain im not sure what there gonna go for with EQN im gonna assume more standard with gear so the money looting the best option here.

So to sum up ill like to see muiltipal PvP server types along with PvE for those PvE crowds

I would also like to see some reward from PvP like looting coins the person has on him when he dies (of course money is bankable)

I would also like to see open world guild cities and other player made towns and cities.