Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMOs at Expos

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As our coverage indicates, MMOs have a strong presence at ever gaming convention throughout any given year. What can we deduce from this attendance? In her latest column, Genese Davis offers her thoughts about the subject. Check out what she's got to say before heading to the comments to add your opinion.

The Electronic Entertainment Expo generates exciting video game news that often becomes the catalyst for weeklong discussions. That’s always a highlight for me when attending these events. While my group and I scoped out the convention center, the following questions started stirring up conversation: Is the aspect of an MMO displayed at conventions indicative of the focus of the developer? And can we speculate the success of that game based on that focus? 

Read more of Genese Davis's MMOs at Expos.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReznechekReznechek Member Posts: 11
    So what did the developers of eqn show off?
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

woah woah woah wait a minute here...

Your stock photo has you looking like your are near 40 but these photos you are looking more lower 20s...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Yeah, Genese, I would totally flip on the person who picked that picture for your articles (unless you picked it yourself).

Anyways, FFXIV really showed that it had improved a ton and it was a game that many were impressed by at the Expo. Still not sure why MMORPG.com didn't put it in it's top 5. It clearly deserved it.

Smile

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    She is like a great MMO...ageless. It's poetic really.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Also, I think they focus on whatever feature is the most finished. But likely, that does correlate to what their game's focus is. It's no secret that FFXIV is a PvE focused game.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    E3 is lame, GamesCom is where it's at and i'll be there as usual.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Just what all professional woman want....guys to talk about what they look like instead of what they said.

I don't know if pax is different than E3 but the mmos I've seen there do tend to focus on what the game is about. Fire fall, SWTOR GW2 all, kind of focused on the same things, just basic pve game play. I don't remember seeing any type of PVP from them at pax.

Even games that go with battlegrounds or arenas seem to focus more on game play. The only ones that really let you battle it out are games that focus almost 100% on pvp.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by DMKano

E3 is media-centric and pretty corporate. It's all about creating media-buzz and hype.

Pax and Gamescom are there for the fans, as they're open to the public, completely different feel of those shows.

IMO - stuff shown at E3 is a lot more on the hype side, stuff shown at Gamescom and PAX is a lot more closer to reality.

Yup.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Your stock photo has you looking like your are near 40 but these photos you are looking more lower 20s...

What the heck are you looking at? That pic is genuine and heavenly, don't put an age on it just enjoy.

At any rate - if the developers can decide what they show, then show me what makes the game so great that I would want to spend money on it. That's obviously what they did this time around. One thought the pvp was strong and the other thinks it's pve is the strong selling point.

If I get to pick, then show me:

1. What makes your game great (could be pvp,pve,endgame,....)

2. What makes it different?

3. What makes it a game that I feel is a good place to call home and worth building a community in? I don't want to build up a community just to watch it die because the game is no longer fun.

4. Why will I like it. Be specific, don't be wishy washy, be confident and be specific. If you think you know what I will like then show me. (I'm sure you do because of all the research you did before you created a video game right?)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Reznechek
    So what did the developers of eqn show off?

Sorry, just too obvious.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

and responses like this are the reason why so many females hide there gender online.

Originally posted by MyBoot

and responses like this are the reason why so many females hide there gender online.

Wut? I am not hitting on her or being sexist...I just thought she was around 40 years old and was shocked she may not be now...talk about jumping to extreme conclusions.

Hell, she is looking like Julie Benz in her stock photo...nothing wrong with that at all!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004748/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Ok push your glasses up and read my words. You dont want to guess a womans age and if your asked always always low ball it.

Now setting my rule aside. There is no way she is remotely close to 40. Not that 40 cant be that gorgeous but common man there is no way you could have looked at that pic and thought she was 40.
    Ok enough of pc geek education hour before my wife catches wind of this and shoots me. Haha!!

So you are saying older women cant look good?!? Now who is being extreme...click the link I posted, Julie Benz is hot and 40...and I never once said Genese looked bad in her stock pic, just older.

As for always low balling a womans age, sorry...I don't recall giving up my man card. Men do what they want, tell a woman she looks whatever age and then get in their face and say it doesn't mean a thing cause she is still hot...George Carlin was right...your name wouldn't be Kyle would it?

• ReznechekReznechek Member Posts: 11

Haha touche.

• larrypsylarrypsy Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Soooo many games, sooo little time......
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Good article.

2 things...

"With this in mind, we walked the floor comparing MMOs." that line made me giggle.

and second.

Love how this article has turned into a debate about your age. Jeezus /facepalm

On to the article....

I do think that developers put there best foot forward and try to show you what their game is about.  You should be able to leave a booth with a good understanding of what the MMO is about. If you didn't...they did a crappy job.

Now that said just because a developer doesn't show itself and have a grand booth doesn't mean how successful it will be I just think it means how much extra cash they have laying around. My example would be Wildstar, they didn't have the worlds largest booth but still showed up and showed a little off. I think that game will create alot of waves.

My question to you Ms. Davis. What was your game of the year at E3 2013?

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• yundayunda Member Posts: 5

E3 is media-centric and pretty corporate. It's all about creating media-buzz and hype.

Pax and Gamescom are there for the fans, as they're open to the public, completely different feel of those shows.

IMO - stuff shown at E3 is a lot more on the hype side, stuff shown at Gamescom and PAX is a lot more closer to reality.

Agreed to this.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Having been to all of the above I'd say they're all pretty much the same.  Devs/Publishers/etc. at all conventions are there to market their product regardless of whether the current target audience is consumers or media.

There's a ton of media and press at PAX and Gamescom btw.  Those with games on display are doing interviews all day.

Steam: Neph

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    Ok push your glasses up and read my words. You dont want to guess a womans age and if your asked always always low ball it.

Now setting my rule aside. There is no way she is remotely close to 40. Not that 40 cant be that gorgeous but common man there is no way you could have looked at that pic and thought she was 40.
    Ok enough of pc geek education hour before my wife catches wind of this and shoots me. Haha!!

I didn't think she was 40, but she defiantly looks way younger in her pictures in this article than her profile picture. It doesn't really matter though I suppose. Just read the article and enjoy I say! Also people saying I'm sexist for commenting on the pictures... Get a grip please. I'm all for female empowerment, plus I'm gay so I obviously have no interest in sexually objectifying the author of this article since she's a... well, girl.

Some people will try and turn everything into something negative though I suppose.

Smile

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    She is beautiful plain and simple regardless of age
  • neurojameneurojame Member Posts: 26

Being a PVE player I always enjoy seeing a variety of zones in the demonstrations from these conferences.

And by the way... She is gorgeous, smart, and a gamer.

Really there's nothing else you need to know :)

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

When you consider that E3 Demos are just that...a small engineered game meant to show a very small area and scripted encounter....it's called a dog and pony show.

And now that MMORPG and TTH have fell for the...."behind closed doors"...Was the door green?...

we are going to see more of the..."Private showings" to pump up the hype. Somebodies been watching Steve Jobs too much I think. I'm still grating that you guys fell for it and then rewarded it.

• Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 Member Posts: 1

There always vertical slice demos at these event, be it at PAX, comic con, Gamescom, TGS.  They can be unstable, the can  crash as I saw a few games crash on the show floor. What I liked the most at the expo MMO or not was the first 90 second or so of the xbox media briefing with the bay and grey in MGS 5. Lets say the animations kind of drop my jaw for little bit, the ears are often forgot about in the animations in the games.