Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    So looking at the small drop, do you think this is because of Rift going free to play perhaps?
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It would take a total re-design from scratch, just like FFXIV:ARR did it.  EA would never do that, and they are better off just getting a new team to develop a new Star Wars MMO.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Nothing has changed, nothing will change.

Since early beta fanboys have remained blind and in denial...all through release with nothing big being added that wasn't in beta like they said would be, not after the massive drop off in players(wasn't happening) not after the first round of firing (its normal) not after even more players leaving (still wasn't happening) not after the second round of firing...not after the F2P announcement, not even after the CEO of EA being forced to step down for lying about the success of F2P and even then admitting publicly while walking away that they weren't honest...

I imagine that on the day the servers are shut down there will still be someone, somewhere saying that everything is fine and its only being closed due to corporate greed...like with CoH.

Anyway, as long as there are enough extremely vocal blind defenders of the game flooding SWTORs forums like there always is, the company stands no chance to ever really find out what the players that are leaving/have left, actually have to say about whats wrong with the game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Betaguy

It can't recover...you only get one shot at launch... 

It will go up and down like a yo-yo for a bit but eventually runs out of string to climb

You mean like: STO, AoC, LOTRO, EVE (Yes Eve had a "horrible launch" in MMO terms). All these games had horrible launches several years ago, but they are all going strong.

F2P System is far more flexible than people give it credit for. We "fans", you know the people who do not log on to MMORPG and spout vitriol about any SW game except SWG, have found ways around these minor limitations, and have enjoyed  the game quite nicely without the expenditure of cash.

Originally posted by simplius

4. the fans,,we all want the game to suit OUR needs,,and everybody else can F... off

even if swtor was the only mmo on the market, they would still be struggling

remember the prelaunch dreams?  100s of planets?  over 10 mio players?

they suits must have been high that day

Kind of funny, this seems to plauge the haters more than the "fans". We "fans" are tolerant of all people who wish to enjoy the game as they wish to enjoy the game. Now funny thing is many of the "haters" are SWG "Fans" so technically we are all "fans" of SW, but since SWG Fans are not tolerant of SWTOR Fans, we SWTOR fans can F... 0ff?

Originally posted by jtcgs

Anyway, as long as there are enough extremely vocal blind defenders of the game flooding SWTORs forums like there always is, the company stands no chance to ever really find out what the players that are leaving/have left, actually have to say about whats wrong with the game.

Can be said of most modern MMO's - They will all continue on the track of "soloMMO" play because that is what brings in money, the god of all choices.

Anyway, as long as there are enough extremely vocal haters of the game flooding SWTOR's forums like there always is, people will stand up for their choice the play what they want to play. Companies rarely look at obscure forums of haters to see the bottom line. They look to their own ledgers to see how much money the game is making to determine if it is a good game or not. Haters/defenders on some "obscure" forum does not change that.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by gervaise1

However there is now Starwars Battlefront.

Presumably this is is going to be a Star Wars skinned Battlefield 3. Good engine and maybe they can reuse SWTOR material:artwork,

What the hell? If you care about SWBF3 you should re-think that Idea. SWTOR looked like a stupid cartoon.

Yea and SWG which you love looked just SOOOOOO realistic LOL. /sarcasm off.

There Is Always Hope!

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by mrrshann618
    Originally posted by Betaguy

It can't recover...you only get one shot at launch... 

It will go up and down like a yo-yo for a bit but eventually runs out of string to climb

You mean like: STO, AoC, LOTRO, EVE (Yes Eve had a "horrible launch" in MMO terms). All these games had horrible launches several years ago, but they are all going strong.

F2P System is far more flexible than people give it credit for. We "fans", you know the people who do not log on to MMORPG and spout vitriol about any SW game except SWG, have found ways around these minor limitations, and have enjoyed  the game quite nicely without the expenditure of cash.

4. the fans,,we all want the game to suit OUR needs,,and everybody else can F... off

even if swtor was the only mmo on the market, they would still be struggling

remember the prelaunch dreams?  100s of planets?  over 10 mio players?

they suits must have been high that day

Kind of funny, this seems to plauge the haters more than the "fans". We "fans" are tolerant of all people who wish to enjoy the game as they wish to enjoy the game. Now funny thing is many of the "haters" are SWG "Fans" so technically we are all "fans" of SW, but since SWG Fans are not tolerant of SWTOR Fans, we SWTOR fans can F... 0ff?

Can be said of most modern MMO's - They will all continue on the track of "soloMMO" play because that is what brings in money, the god of all choices.

Anyway, as long as there are enough extremely vocal haters of the game flooding SWTOR's forums like there always is, people will stand up for their choice the play what they want to play. Companies rarely look at obscure forums of haters to see the bottom line. They look to their own ledgers to see how much money the game is making to determine if it is a good game or not. Haters/defenders on some "obscure" forum does not change that.

im not a swg fan,,i never played it

and if you chose a Group to fund a big mmo, like this, wouldnt it be wise, to chose the BIGGEST Group?

going niche is okay too,,but expect severe cutbacks, and thats , what they did

lets see, when the next expansion is out,,considering, that makeb was in the Works, before launch

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by gervaise1

However there is now Starwars Battlefront.

Presumably this is is going to be a Star Wars skinned Battlefield 3. Good engine and maybe they can reuse SWTOR material:artwork,

What the hell? If you care about SWBF3 you should re-think that Idea. SWTOR looked like a stupid cartoon.

Compared to SWTOR, SWG looked like a photograph.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    Originally posted by keithian Originally posted by ignore_me Originally posted by gervaise1   However there is now Starwars Battlefront. Presumably this is is going to be a Star Wars skinned Battlefield 3. Good engine and maybe they can reuse SWTOR material:artwork,      
     Compared to SWTOR, SWG looked like a photograph.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Fruxy

Fleets that were once popular with 3 X 250 players are now populated with 1 X 150 players (sometimes 2 X), the downsize is because EAWare determined that, as everyone already knew, their engine sucks ass, so to make the game playable, smaller numbers of players are necessary in any zone.  EAWare capped zones at 150 players instead of 250.

I'm not sure where you are getting a 150 cap on shards. I've been on within the last couple weeks where fleet was over 150. I'm just wondering where you're getting your information from, because mine is first-hand. 

Also, populations aren't suffering to the degree you're thinking. There are other hubs now, since expansion, where people hang out as well, which relives stress on fleet as well. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I just tried to go back and play the game and i lasted 5/5/ and 10 minutes,it got real boring real fast.

A 200 million dollar game with one starting area per side?

Aggro/AI systems are just incredibly bad,3 grouped mobs all the time all linked on the same Ai/aggro.

weapon/combat systems,there are NONE at all,that is just incredible for a game of this magnitude.Where is the weapon choices and effectiveness and resistances?I realize it is not a typical Fantasy setting,but you need systems,otherwise every fight is incredibly generic and bland.

Linear,oh man as linear as it gets.It is so laid out in a linear fashion that your xp is pretty much tied exactly to your next quest and zone.

Replay value.You have to go through the exact same zones,exact same quests and exact same mobs /sigh.The mobs will also be in the exact same spot and don't move.

This really was a shallow effort by Bioware,imo this is not something you can blame EA for.Right from day 1 they hire system designers,guys that come up with in depth systems.i simply don't see how these system guys could be that bad,i just don't get it,unless the producer forced them to whip out systems really quickly to get the game done,i really don't understand it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    f2p conversion failed , so no....that was the last chance for swtor imo....
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

The answer to your question is a solid "NO".   They blew it from day 0.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149

It's nothing unusual that you have less activity near and in summer, unless you release a new game or big content patch.

It's called seasonal fluctuation.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by Fruxy
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    It's failing or you want it to be failing.

I just see the population falling.  I'd rather see if raising, not falling. but EAWare seems to want it decreasing by lowering the MMO scope, thus less people play - or less people want to log on with a smaller scope.

Bioware never fixed the engine anyways after 2 years?  what gives.

The engine is Hero Engine.  I believe the company was simutronics and they had had a game that they were going to release a couple years ago called Heros Journey.  That project fell apart supposedly because of the time required to support the engine (someone other than bioware is using it I believe) and thats that.  In order for BioWare to actually fix the engine would entail the removal, rewriting, then reconnecting a new engine.  Not gonna happen and probably (with what I have seen) not possible considering the poor coding procedures followed by BioWare.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

their only chance to make real profit is releasing their space sim expansion BEFORE  Eite and Star Citizen are out.

and they need to be better than the other two games.

otherwise, good night

• cgplayercgplayer Member Posts: 20

Will it recover and have as many players that it had at launch?  No and no MMO ever does.  All mmos go through ups and downs with player population and SWTOR is no different.  The population has been very steady since F2P conversion.  I understand a few on here will say the servers were full when Makeb was released and now they are only heavy, again if you know anything about MMO's that is normal.  They game has recovered since server merge and scattered players.

Ques for FP, ops, and WZ continue to be very low from my experience (I actually play and know what I am talking about unlike those who whine on here who have never played).  Guilds are recruiting, ops are being ran all the time and people actively looking for groups.  If you think the game is dead just look up the road map, they are continueing to add content and things are looking good in SWTOR.  Don't listen to those who whine, cry and spew the same garbage on every post.  Is the game perfect nope not by a long shot, but is any MMO?  

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Since early beta fanboys have remained blind and in denial...all through release with nothing big being added that wasn't in beta like they said would be, not after the massive drop off in players(wasn't happening) not after the first round of firing (its normal) not after even more players leaving (still wasn't happening) not after the second round of firing...not after the F2P announcement, not even after the CEO of EA being forced to step down for lying about the success of F2P and even then admitting publicly while walking away that they weren't honest...

I imagine that on the day the servers are shut down there will still be someone, somewhere saying that everything is fine and its only being closed due to corporate greed...like with CoH.

Yup, the devs didn't listen to anyone that wasn't bum kissing during beta. They turned a blind eye to all the problems, design flaws, dull worlds, loading screens, etc. etc. They deserved to fail.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by cgplayer

Will it recover and have as many players that it had at launch?  No and no MMO ever does.  All mmos go through ups and downs with player population and SWTOR is no different.  The population has been very steady since F2P conversion.  I understand a few on here will say the servers were full when Makeb was released and now they are only heavy, again if you know anything about MMO's that is normal.  They game has recovered since server merge and scattered players.

Ques for FP, ops, and WZ continue to be very low from my experience (I actually play and know what I am talking about unlike those who whine on here who have never played).  Guilds are recruiting, ops are being ran all the time and people actively looking for groups.  If you think the game is dead just look up the road map, they are continueing to add content and things are looking good in SWTOR.  Don't listen to those who whine, cry and spew the same garbage on every post.  Is the game perfect nope not by a long shot, but is any MMO?  

so, wow had over 8 mio players at launch?

the champ could do it,,and noone else

and thats why, wow is still the champ

soon, the big panda will go up against the third version of EQ

i doubt, that it will change much

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

Wonderful things have come from SWTOR -- it has become a case study in what NOT to do in the mmorpg world. Now any poor schmuck company can create a total flop yet find solace in the fact that at least they didn't create the apostate that is SWTOR. However, more importantly, bethesda / ZeniMax is creating the Elder Scrolls Online with a different philosophy and approach: they're actually learning from the past. Also ZeniMax isn't embittering their base.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

Wonderful things have come from SWTOR -- it has become a case study in what NOT to do in the mmorpg world. Now any poor schmuck company can create a total flop yet find solace in the fact that at least they didn't create the apostate that is SWTOR. However, more importantly, bethesda / ZeniMax is creating the Elder Scrolls Online with a different philosophy and approach: they're actually learning from the past. Also ZeniMax isn't embittering their base.

This is true. But the cost to fans of the IP was so heavy for this lesson.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

and furthermore: now ea has the rights to ALL SW games..yay

if it wasnt for the new movies coming, star wars would be in real trouble

warhammer online shows, what to expect in the future from ea

they just fire more staff, to fit with the shrinking income

i wonder, how many are currently working on warhammer online?

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    these I hope swtor fails posts are very silly, I do not like eve but there are people that do so I hope it thrives
  • NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

This is true. But the cost to fans of the IP was so heavy for this lesson.

It seems to me SoE will ultimately be the vindicated hero in all of this because they took a lot of flack over the years for LucasArts manipulation and dishonesty. I think we'll see alot more honest behavior in generally from mmo companies now.

Originally posted by eddieg50
    these I hope swtor fails posts are very silly, I do not like eve but there are people that do so I hope it thrives

how many game boxes did EVE sell?

how many EVE movies was a Blockbuster?

the fact, that a small, 9 year old niche game has roughly the same number of subs, as swtor , is mindblowing

i know some people like it..some people like to get spanked too

but that doesnt mean, that there should be SM shops on every corner

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by eddieg50

how many game boxes did EVE sell?

how many EVE movies was a Blockbuster?

the fact, that a small, 9 year old niche game has roughly the same number of subs, as swtor , is mindblowing

i know some people like it..some people like to get spanked too

but that doesnt mean, that there should be SM shops on every corner

Eve may have been a niche game when it first came out but no longer, anyone who plays mmo's has heard of Eve and understands the game play it has. What has that got to do with people who enjoy playing SWTOR and people who enjoy playing Eve? If you want to respond to my post that is ok, just respond to my post do not twist my post so it fits your response.

Spanking? SM shops? Ok are you sure you are on the right forum?

This discussion has been closed.