Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A poor man's plea

CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151

Right.. I'm tired of the constantly goofy and cramped MMOs. I'm a crafter, I'd love a game that allows you to progress as a crafter and not just a killing machine. I played the first Darkfall game but my computer couldn't support it, and I had to give it up. Having acquired a much better machine I'm now looking for something different than the usual.. How is the new Darkfall? What can you do? What sets it apart from its predecessor? can I live off my crafting? Perchance any RP on the EU server?

I'm an insanely poor student who can't afford much.. I have to be a bit picky about games. So if anyone of you have any interesting information about the game, and can answer the above mentioned questions, please share away! 

And I don't mind the PvP.. It makes it much more interesting! ;)

Comments

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

If you like crafting, I reccomend Darkfall Unholy Wars.

You can do very well for yourself as a dedicated crafter, and many clans will welcome you. You can pick up as many crafting skills as you are willing to spend the time on. All items are destructable, so there is always need to make more.

Here is an video for crafting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bGr8IL5kl0

Also, they just added Cooking Mastery yesterday and a new boat, the Fishing Trawler, to help catch fish.
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    If your looking for a new and groundbreaking crafting, look elsewhere. Crafting in DFUW is EXTREMLY boring. Click the recipe you wanna do (all recipes are there from the get go, you can't find or make recipes of your own), have the mats you need. Hit "start crafting" and watch the wheel go 360 degrees and see if you made it. YAY!!! Then to raise your crafting skills, you will have to repeat this thousands of times. And there is no market in game yet, so you can't put anything out for sale. You'll have to shout in the town you are in, and hope some1 will need your stuff. Most people are in clans, and are supported through the clans, so a solo crafter will have a hard time selling anything as it is now. If your a poor student I would wait til the game goes f2p. That will happen soon. Don't put money into this game in the state it's in now. Wait til you can test it for free. And then decide. Also google the crafting system that they have, and watch some vids and find out if you think it looks exciting.
    This game is never going F2P.
    The crafting system is no different than any other game, except items decay, so there is always a demand for new items. Also true there are no rare or unique recipes, which is a good thing for a PvP game.
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

It is worse then what you might remeber from DF online original . All the more complex  bits has been taken out  line enchanting /bloodcrafting etc. Whats left cant really entertain a crafter type of gamer that is serious about it.   It was already blunt and shallow in DFO but they watered crafting even more down in DF:UW and it got more boring and more shallow.

Just play the game if you don't mind meaningless PvP thats all about in these arena style combat game.

For crafting try Ryzom, its half the prize and offers a complex crafting system worth to be called sandbox- free to play up to lvl 125 at that (max lvl is 250).

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by Lustmord
    The crafting system is no different than any other game, except items decay, so there is always a demand for new items. Also true there are no rare or unique recipes, which is a good thing for a PvP game.

lol. I'm gonna save this quote from you and come back to ya...

The crafting is boring and stale, and if your a guy that wanna focus on crafting in a MMO, look as far away as possible from DFUW. Your rly living in lalaland if you recomend ANY1 to start DFUW because of the crafting. I would rec. op to try Ryzom as Darth mentioned, and also Vanguard (f2p), Fallen Earth (f2p), EVE Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea (f2p) and Mortal Online (f2p) if your looking for fun and more complex crafting then the one that is being served in DFUW. If you lack the cash, I would rec. any of those f2p-games. Don't listen to Lustmord cause he will do anything to get people to waste money on DFUW. He even mentioned on DFUW forums that he is here to try to promote DFUW. So when he says that the crafting is good in DFUW, I would hesitate, and hold on to those student cash of yours.

• ZnarfZnarf Member UncommonPosts: 82

Lahuzer has evidently never played the game and has no hint as to what he is talking about...

crafting is good, but not super

comparing DFUW to Mortal Online or Failed earth is like comparing gold to shit!:)

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    You could also try looking at planeshift if you want rp and crafting.  Is 100% free so can't hurt to try it aswell.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I would say save your money for the time being and wait for ArcheAge if you want a craft-heavy mmorpg.
  • mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48
    You could try out Vanguard Saga of Heroes, it has a crafting system that I enjoy, and I enjoy the most of the many MMOs I have played. It's a mini game with differing results, and Vanguard is free to play, so you can have a look without paying. If you really enjoy, you can consider subscribing later.

Originally posted by Znarf

Lahuzer has evidently never played the game and has no hint as to what he is talking about...

comparing DFUW to Mortal Online or Failed earth is like comparing gold to shit!:)

I've played DFUW through the entire BETA period and one month after launch before unsubbing, and I can say that I didn't play it for the crafting...

And both Mortal Online, Fallen Earth and the other games I mentioned have better and more unique crafting then DFUW. And op wanted to know if you can play DFUW for the crafting, and the simple answer for any1 but for the DFUW fanbois, is a big nono. The game doesn't even have a market ffs!!! You have apperantly NOT played the games I mentioned, or tried the crafting in them, if you think DFUW crafting is better and more unique then the crafting in those games. To tell any1 that likes crafting to spend money, that the op is lacking, on DFUW is just not fair.

Edit. I would rec. peeps to try DFUW for the PVP when the lag/ping issues are fixed. But not for the crafting.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Originally posted by Znarf

Edit. I would rec. peeps to try DFUW for the PVP when the lag/ping issues are fixed. But not for the crafting.

Definitely this - it has some of the most boring and worst crafting of any MMO.  This is NOT the game to try if you enjoy crafting in a MMO. 

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Crafting in DF:UW is what I did when I had to go poop, or maybe eat a sandwich.  You just grab the mats, slow walk to the crafting station, hope you didn't forget anything and force another slow walk back to the bank, and start crafting 99 of whatever you want to craft.

As far as the game itself, if you've never played Darkfall, then I'd say give it a shot.  If you have, it's likely to be a severe disappointment.  It was for me.

• BroverpowerdBroverpowerd Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Play EVE online. Crafting is not only an awesome part of the game, but its literally a thriving part of the economy, and if your as dedicated as you say, you can use in game money you make to buy PLEX, which is game time, so eventually you can play for free. There's a thirty day trial if your interested. Let me know :-D
  • HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Harvesting and crafting in DFUW was great for me.  I have a second monitor and watched many seasons of Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy while I harvested and crafted in the safe zones.  I believe this to be the optimum method for enjoyment.

I would like to add that I think it is BS that a crafting mastery cost 10k prowess.  Certainly puts a dent in the solo factor.

~Hairysun

Originally posted by Lahuzer

lol. I'm gonna save this quote from you and come back to ya...

The crafting is boring and stale, and if your a guy that wanna focus on crafting in a MMO, look as far away as possible from DFUW. Your rly living in lalaland if you recomend ANY1 to start DFUW because of the crafting. I would rec. op to try Ryzom as Darth mentioned, and also Vanguard (f2p), Fallen Earth (f2p), EVE Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea (f2p) and Mortal Online (f2p) if your looking for fun and more complex crafting then the one that is being served in DFUW. If you lack the cash, I would rec. any of those f2p-games. Don't listen to Lustmord cause he will do anything to get people to waste money on DFUW. He even mentioned on DFUW forums that he is here to try to promote DFUW. So when he says that the crafting is good in DFUW, I would hesitate, and hold on to those student cash of yours.

The Darkfall hategroup here on MMORPG is really tiring.

Yes, I really like this game, and want to promote it. As I said previously, I recommend Darkfall for people who enjoy crafting, because there is always need for more crafters in clans. Also, with full loot and item decay, there is a constantly circulating economy.

There's lots of crafting skills, from armor and alchemy to boats and cities.

Don't listen to these haters. If you have the money to spend on Darkfall, and go at it with an open mind, I believe you will enjoy it and it's worth every penny.

That said, the other MMO's mentioned in Losers post- each has their own glaring flaws just like Darkfall.

For meaningful crafting as well as overall fun factor, I still think Darkfall is the best.

Fallen Earth is fun, but you need to subscribe if you want to craft vehicles. Crafting is set on a time queue, and while complex is not neccesarily more fun. There are also major sync issues with the game that are easily exploited.

Mortal Online is really cool, but also very buggy. I think Darkfall is an overall better product.

EVE is very complex but very boring, imo. Worth a try, you might like it.

Pirates of the Burning Sea is Ghetto EVE.

Ryzom is okay, I don't remember the crafting being anything special.. I know you can transmute abilities to make them somewhat unique, but I don't remember anything special about the crafting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Vanguard is a pve game without full loot and item decay, so what's the point? You can build boats, and that's pretty cool.

Overall, I think Darkfall is the best game for crafters.

Take my advise or don't. I don't care, I'm so tired of leading horses to water.

Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    I would say save your money for the time being and wait for ArcheAge if you want a craft-heavy mmorpg.

I think ArcheAge is gonna be awesome, and so will EverQuest Next.

But I don't recommend waiting for anything. Life is too short.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    You want crafting with in depth techniques and formulas, go to Istaria: Chronicals of the Gifted.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

You can do very well for yourself as a dedicated crafter, and many clans will welcome you. You can pick up as many crafting skills as you are willing to spend the time on. All items are destructable, so there is always need to make more.

Problem is, the economy in DFUW is so screwed up that youre lucky if you can sell most crafted items, especially armor, for even half of what it cost in mats to make it. Youre better off just selling raw mats you harvest, then buying the quipment. Everyone has a stockpile of armor already due to the massive prowess gains it gives, so its become pretty worthless. Weapons are a bit better, but not by much, sinc ethey dont have a lot of prowess feats. But theyre still very cheap to buy.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Like someone else said I'd wait for archeage or eqn. 
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Problem is, the economy in DFUW is so screwed up that youre lucky if you can sell most crafted items, especially armor, for even half of what it cost in mats to make it. Youre better off just selling raw mats you harvest, then buying the quipment. Everyone has a stockpile of armor already due to the massive prowess gains it gives, so its become pretty worthless. Weapons are a bit better, but not by much, sinc ethey dont have a lot of prowess feats. But theyre still very cheap to buy.

True weapons and armor may be harder to sell due to supply and demand, but if you tried I bet you could find somone to buy them.

You could probably more easily sell potions, battlespikes, repair shards, boats, and building mods.

Or you could join a clan and worry less about selling stuff and more about contributing to a cause.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    You can "level up" with crafting alone in Darkfall.  That includes adding combat skills if you wanted.  I know a ship building that has more prowess than me.  He loves to take us on fishing trips and owns one of the new trawlers.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.