Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FULL REVIEW...

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    you know whats funny limit breaks are in game already so wtf are you talking about op. and osme of the actull mobs do have apersonality just not the trash mobs
  • SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by legendair
    Originally posted by Khebeln
    Originally posted by Gurpslord
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Well, i think that people who played the game at its first release exactly know what he is talking about...

Getting intoo beta is as the OP said the only way to find out how you feel about the game.

I really really wanted to like this game... I digress... I just did not start to have the attachment I have with other games.  

See, that sentence right there would've been just fine.  Change the title to, My opinion of FFXIV ARR so far.  The say "I really really wanted to like this game.. etc etc.

Instead you faked a review full of crap you didn't like and thus here we are.  We're not posting here because we necesarily disagree with you.  We're posting here because we don't like your first post. 

Sorry as much as you might hate me at this point there is nothing really to review.  Let me explain at this point in my generation at least there was nothing new in the game that said to me "wow that is new and ingenious."  Everything in this game is... how should I put it..."been there done that."  They even have a system exactly from Guild Wars 2 calling it the fate system... now to some who are not familiar with that would be ignorant ( not trying to offend) to that fact that it has already been done.  I am too long in my prime to review anything that is already been implemented in other games.  It would be a waste of time...

If we would use your logic why play any new FPS since wolfenstein ? Its clearly the same stuff used over and over and over and over and over again. 

Its not what features are in, but if they are, and how are they implemented. Immersion plays a huge role to. And immersion you can expect in this title. Unlike most of the titles released recently that are shallow like Gw2, Neverwinter, Vindictus and a good deal more.

This days sadly 95% mmos are movie sets not a virtual worlds. And i dont talk here about sandbox. You can make a hybrid that feels like a virtual world. Rift is good example here.

Not to mention Gw2 copied (poorly, very poorly) the event system from Rift.

Well you just proved my point...

Oh FFS you're just bored and trolling.  What's worse is you haven't even really put your back into it, this is just laziness. 

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

legendair

What level did you get to?

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by PulsarMan
    Sorry as much as you might hate me at this point there is nothing really to review.  Let me explain at this point in my generation at least there was nothing new in the game that said to me "wow that is new and ingenious."  Everything in this game is... how should I put it..."been there done that."  They even have a system exactly from Guild Wars 2 calling it the fate system... now to some who are not familiar with that would be ignorant ( not trying to offend) to that fact that it has already been done.  I am too long in my prime to review anything that is already been implemented in other games.  It would be a waste of time...

FFXIV ARR will by no means reshape the MMO genre. Clearly, it's not attempting to. But it's a damn fine effort. One of the more well done games we've seen in a while. 

If you want something "new and ingenious" you'll probably want to hang around some of the smaller, indie games. They can afford to tinker around and try new ideas as they are often attempting to cater to niche crowds. 

In any case, your "review" is rather pointless. 

"Effort," does not justify me spending my precious time with that game...

For someone who keeps claiming their time is so gosh darned precious you do waste a lot of it here in this post.  Right from the get go actually.

Can't be that precious really...

all I'm sayin'.

Also, careful guys, if he doesn't like what you're saying you'll loose your privaleges.

• legendairlegendair Member CommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by danwest58

legendair

Level 11... at that point I just quit... I was very disappointed with the partying system which is allowed at level 10.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Coated
    Anyone else notice that this was 'not' a review, but another complaint about the game 'not' being F2P?

Duno, i gave up on reading all of it after 1/3 of it as it was clearly an opinion based on limited experience with the game. 

Had nothing to do with a review.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

legendair

Level 11... at that point I just quit... I was very disappointed with the partying system which is allowed at level 10.

Level 11!!

Clearly a Full review.

legendair

That means you saw maybe 0.1% of the game. I was to optimistic to say 1% Though you reached lv 15. Before lv 10 you dont have access to 99% of the game features.

You can get lv 6 with just running in town and never killing a mob.

Bah before lv 10 you cant even multiclass for different skills.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by Coated
    Anyone else notice that this was 'not' a review, but another complaint about the game 'not' being F2P?

Duno, i gave up on reading all of it after 1/3 of it as it was clearly an opinion based on limited experience with the game. 

Had nothing to do with a review.

Did you also notice he keeps editing his review to better suite his argument? lol. This guys is trolling yo.

legendair

So your writing your FULL REVIEW on level 1 - 11 and talking about how the abilities are meh when you only get part of your abilities at 30, you get another set when you level your 2nd class on the same character, and once that class is 15 you can get your job abilities?  Also the limit breaks are useless outside of FATES with large end bosses or instances.  You cannot start instances until level 15, that’s from the phase 2 which I did do some people said that this phase you have to be level 16. 

Also the limit breaks at level 11 are not the same as at level 50 which has been posted on the forums.  So how can you do your FULL REVIEW on 11 levels when you have to level to 50 twice to get the full abilities of your 2 classes and your job? 

O and FYI I made level 17 in Phase 2.  Combat yes was boring until I got to 15 in phase 2 then it was starting to get very interesting and I was enjoying it.  I will say they did Nerf TTD this phase though. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

When I read the title i was like DaFAQ ?! Right.

Full review before the game is even released as an open beta, with many features not turned on during the beta 3, only playing on dx9 engine (dx11 in work and will be out with PS4 release) and the fact that the beta is caped at lv 30. 

Great review, or not. You cant even call it preview . 

Not saying its perfect, but you are judging the game before you really played it. What level did you reach in beta 10-15 ?

Most game features are not even available before lv 30.

Enemies being easy early on ? In what game they aren't. Did you try some of the main quests ? Some of them will kick your ass at mere lv 15 making you run back several times before you start to think how to tackle the fight.

Basically you just didn't like the game at low lv. Fair enough. Go play whatever else you want. Just don't call it review, let alone full review. Jezzz people this days. and its not even weeekend yet.

I reviewed the game based on what will not be changed and can not be changed.  I refrained from reviewing gimmicks they added and copied from other games such as the "Fate" System.

Right...why bother reviewing the whole game? Just review the parts you don't like and call the rest a gimmick. Because questing wasn't copied from other games was it? or classes, or you know, magic and pointy ears.

Horrible "review". Next time just say you're giving an opinion or your first impressions.

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

No the developers are blowing this game out of proportion...  Again like I said in my review try it...

Been "trying it" since phase 2.  Your review just didn't make much sense to me.

legendair

That means you saw maybe 0.1% of the game. I was to optimistic to say 1% Though you reached lv 15. Before lv 10 you dont have access to 99% of the game features.

In all honesty that is pointless why continue playing a game that can not grab my attention at lower levels? I have to endure boredom... especially if I have to pay a sub?  How does that make sense... I am sorry the review was too short and you feel I do not have that right to review but in my generation we can tell already by the first few level's if the game is good or bad.  

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

FFXIV ARR will by no means reshape the MMO genre. Clearly, it's not attempting to. But it's a damn fine effort. One of the more well done games we've seen in a while. 

If you want something "new and ingenious" you'll probably want to hang around some of the smaller, indie games. They can afford to tinker around and try new ideas as they are often attempting to cater to niche crowds. 

"Effort," does not justify me spending my precious time with this game...

Who said you had to? If you're not up for taking a ride through a theme park, why would you try "..really really" hard to like it, then come here to deliver your "FULL REVIEW."

My point is not that you should appreciate the effort. Or that your opinion is wrong. But spouting that opinion as if it is an objective FULL REVIEW makes you look like a ranting fool. 

What did you want this game to be? XI-2? Or how about more "Immersive" and "Innovative?"

While we're at it, let's throw a few more vague meaningless terms on there. I honestly wish all games had more sheen. More oomph! A bit more flare! Originality and pazazz! 

legendair

In all honesty that is pointless why continue playing a game that can not grab my attention at lower levels? I have to endure boredom... especially if I have to pay a sub?  How does that make sense... I am sorry the review was too short and you feel I do not have that right to review but in my generation we can tell already by the first few level's if the game is good or bad.  

Also, just because you're older does not mean you have superior taste or opinions. An aged eye for quality, goodness me! 

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

In your generation?  I guess you guys are just that fucking good eh?  you didn't like the game at early levels...move on.  No need to defend your weak review.  Go play something else that your "generation" can tell is good in the first 11 levels.

legendair

So your writing your FULL REVIEW on level 1 - 11 and talking about how the abilities are meh when you only get part of your abilities at 30, you get another set when you level your 2nd class on the same character, and once that class is 15 you can get your job abilities?  Also the limit breaks are useless outside of FATES with large end bosses or instances.  You cannot start instances until level 15, that’s from the phase 2 which I did do some people said that this phase you have to be level 16. 

Also the limit breaks at level 11 are not the same as at level 50 which has been posted on the forums.  So how can you do your FULL REVIEW on 11 levels when you have to level to 50 twice to get the full abilities of your 2 classes and your job? 

You can look at current youtube videos of the games spells they show them all.  The only reason I searced for "FF ARR," because I felt something was amiss.  Upon further investigating around level 10 I noticed that the spells upon viewing the videos (higher level spells) in my opinion where mediocre and quite boring nothing amazing.  In other words there is absolutely no customization in spells or attacks it's the same all the time.  This is a okay for a game that last 10-60 hours of game play but you are talking about an mmorpg that people invest hours and hours.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

If you are hoping that the Golden Saucer will be introduced or that limit breaks will be available immediately well... sorry fans of FF they took what was suppose to be a simple revamping and just made it even more complicated.

What part of revamping a game is EVER simple?

Thanks for the full review, wish I could say it was well informed.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    i wonder what this ominous generation is, he is babbling about in every post o_0

Who said you had to? If you're not up for taking a ride through a theme park, why would you try "..really really" hard to like it, then come here to deliver your "FULL REVIEW."

My point is not that you should appreciate the effort. Or that your opinion is wrong. But spouting that opinion as if it is an objective FULL REVIEW makes you look like a ranting fool. 

What did you want this game to be? XI-2? Or how about more "Immersive" and "Innovative?"

While we're at it, let's throw a few more vague meaningless terms on there. I honestly wish all games had more sheen. More oomph! A bit more flare! Originality and pazazz! 

Sorry as a consumer I do not need to appreciate anything the developers are not paying my bills.  Not being rude just saying...

Originally posted by Skymourne

In your generation?  I guess you guys are just that fucking good eh?  you didn't like the game at early levels...move on.  No need to defend your weak review.  Go play something else that your "generation" can tell is good in the first 11 levels.

Oh come now. Clearly since he is an older gentlemen, he knows whats best. 

Yoshi should delete the whole game, and give us Pong A Paddle Reborn! I hope he can deliver some real innovation and immersion. Shucks!

legendair

Thats right because you need all your abilities  at level 1 because your generation needs instance gratification.  Dude sorry but you have no credibility  because ANY MMO is very slow and boring the first few levels, EVEN WOW.  I was not starting to have fun in WoW til I hit level 18 and ran Dead mines.  I also started playing 3 weeks after vanilla launched.  If you want slow and boring go play UO and fight in  grave yard for a few weeks until you have enough skills to move to something harder.  Getting to level 15 is not that hard in FFXIV like someone else said 6 levels is spent running around town just so you get the idea behind the setting of the game.  Yea that can be boring for some if you are going to judge on a vendor trying to give you a setting you can say the same about Rift because that starting was SO SO in my book.  

Sorry as a consumer I do not need to appreciate anything the developers are not paying my bills.  Not being rude just saying...

Once again, you miss my point. I'm glad your generation has superior opinions and all. But you could use a bit of help in the reading and comprehension department. 

legendair

Fair enough, i would not bother to even visiting this topic if you did not use word Review. Those where clearly opinions.

Point is, all games are what you expect of them till you actually spend some time trying it (a day or so for mmos, at the very least)

I would agree that 1-2h in to a single player or online game is enough to judge that. But mmo games are build for a long game, and they usually start slow to introduce you to the game, world etc. Just call it a long and boring tutorial if you wish.

I didint gave the game much of a chance in Beta 1 just gave up after 1h of running around and decided its crap. Only till beta 3 that i actually gave the game a real spin past lv 15 all the way up to lv 30 that it actually hooked me and didint let go. I could not even play any other game for a week, i was having withdrawal symptoms. 

I didint have that much fun for a while, and i played it all all the way back to Meridian 59 and UO. In the end the real gimmicks are the features. As long as the game makes you immersed and glued to the screen then its doing something right. 

Many games this days dont. To many if you ask me. Devs are being lazy and often to depending on new features forgetting about making a virtual world not an online coop game.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

If you are hoping that the Golden Saucer will be introduced or that limit breaks will be available immediately well... sorry fans of FF they took what was suppose to be a simple revamping and just made it even more complicated.

Let me first state the game is amazingly detailed with beautiful creatures.  Though this is overshadowed by the creatures and enemies having no personality.  The world is eye candy but at closer inspection you realize it's just that, because the game has absolutely no personality on itself.  You would expect an enormous turtle to hide in its shell upon getting attacked or approached or perhaps maybe predators chasing prey.   Enemies are hindered by the environment at times and some just stay there awkwardly in between the games props.  The location of enemy placement is extremely flawed and at times awkward.

One of the most interesting aspects of the FF series is the combat system but in this game be prepared for some will have headaches if you are not use to this system. Let me first start off by saying you can not dodge any attacks.  When you encounter an enemy you either stand there or run away with the understanding that you can not cast spells while running BUT the enemy can?  For me that's absolutely fine the game uses a system that derives from it's previous successors and is true to it's origins.  Though there is a major flaw, you can not use any type of limit break and the spells are at best mediocre in design.  FF series is known for their flashy animations but all that is toned down.  There is some complexity but not enough to keep you hooked. Let's move on to raiding or instancing with other players.

Now here things get interesting, when the game originally came out in closed beta encounter's in parties had a huge backlash.  The reason being the enemies where not as convincing or difficult.  They stood in the same area and extremely predictable.  In various interviews they said they made some adjustments, this time enemies move and have more powerful attacks that can decimate an entire party.  Though the same complain is heard over and over... the encounters are amusingly unsatisfying. 

Questing is nothing original, lost princess to an alchemist asking for ingredients.  Though the main story line is rather entertaining and some the characters are just too freaking adorable, fans of this series know whom which I speak about.  The problem with questing is the overall design of the main areas.  They are just huge mazes and the map is overly complicated.  Console players be forewarned it is a complete nightmare and really not worth your time.  Wait for the PS4 in all honest truth.  

The game is eye candy and brings back some nostalgia but in a toned down sort of way... did that make sense?  Do I feel the game warrant's a subscription absolutely but does is deserve your time and effort absolutely no.  Money is never an issue to gamer's that have the money and want to experience something their own way but to some gamer's time is precious which you can not get a refund for.  So the question is presented to me... how do I rate this game.  

I really can't but from what I have experienced the game does not garner much of my attention especially with so many other games right now that are free and that I am actually enjoying.  The game has a different taste and as sour as it tastes to me it might just be sweet to someone else... yes... that would be the best way to describe this game. Sweet and Sour...

If you are smart console gamer wait till the PS4 comes out and if you are a PC gamer try to get into the beta by signing up you might just like it or completely hate it.

Hat's off to Naoki Yoshida for bringing back the game and being brave enough to try... If anything is true his use of "fan's" in every question asked to him is a testament that he is paying close attention.

First of all that was the most confusing read I have ever come across. Please learn some proper grammar before you try to inform the masses on you opinions.

Secondly... and im going to say this as nice as possible. WTF ARE YOU???! When one does a review, its only credit and validation is the the writers name. If Hank Aaron gives a review of the 2013 NY Yankees, I read it and respect his views. If Bill Murphy writes a review, I know his name and I've seen his previous works, so I read and enjoy. You on the other hand dont even use your real name. You are a nobody. No one cares what your review might be. For all we know you could be a mail clerk for Blizzard.

See your poor grasp on the grammar and writing of the english language, I have no confidence that you are qualified to give a sound review on a video game.

Please stick to whatever it is you do other than writing.

This discussion has been closed.