Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO soulds a lot like GW2

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    TESO is made by Daoc devs for PvPers, skinned in ES to sell it. Simple as that really. Similarities with GW2 are also obvious with no dedicated classes, guilds (you can be in 5 guilds at the same time) etc. I'm sure that the original ie GW2 is better than it's clone.
  • 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

I am not sure how ESO sounds like GW2 at all? The only similarity seems to be the 3 faction PvP. Even that is not the same at all, since you will have a LORE BASED RvR, rather than a pointless server vs server war with no real lore. 

Also, there will be a lot of features in ESO which GW2 doesn't have at all.

For example: 

1st person, 3rd person.

Every class can equip any type of armor and weapon.

There is actually a trinity-like system with templars being the main healers and dragonknights the tanks.

A world full of lore. (Don't get me wrong, GW2 has some lore in it, but nowhere near as much as The Elder Scrolls franchise)

Customizable Mounts.

Meaningful (hopefully) built-in Guilds, such as Warrior's Guild and Mage's Guild with their own skills and story unlike the pseudo-unique quest-line of GW2 with Order of whispers/Vigil/Priory.

Vampires and Werewolves.

No action house.

Fishing.

And many more features...

The most important though, ORCS! image

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    TESO is made by Daoc devs for PvPers, skinned in ES to sell it. Simple as that really. Similarities with GW2 are also obvious with no dedicated classes, guilds (you can be in 5 guilds at the same time) etc. I'm sure that the original ie GW2 is better than it's clone.

TESO does have a trinity system and dedicated classes though you can branch out. A hybrid Templar will not be as efficient at healing as a full class Templar.

It 's not like GW2.

Have you even read the article? Because she mentions a whole lot more than just PvP! ;)

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by 1vald2

Have you even read the article? Because she mentions a whole lot more than just PvP! ;)

One game is a bore and the other looks like it's going to be even more of a bore IMO.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

One game is a bore and the other looks like it's going to be even more of a bore IMO.

Well, to each his own. I will definitely give ESO a shot. I might like it or I won't, if I don't then I will just move on. Just like I did with GW2. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

GW2 is a ok pve game...crafting is a nightmare.... and a certified looser with its WvW.

ESOL started out with some great words  about what the game would be and not be.Those words are quickly turning to ash with the decisions being made  during it's development.

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Now, that the date has been pushed back  I can't say I will be purchasing this game.  If AA is all that it is cracked up to be .... I may never get around to TESO.  However, this game is not another GW2 and I think this game is going to be a lot more successful the GW2.  1st person, 3 factions, and being able to make your class your way is awesome.  TESO is going to be a awesome game.  I just may not get my hands on it. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    No. It's just like WOW because they both have Orcs image
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by LordSneerg
    Now, that the date has been pushed back  I can't say I will be purchasing this game.  If AA is all that it is cracked up to be .... I may never get around to TESO.  However, this game is not another GW2 and I think this game is going to be a lot more successful the GW2.  1st person, 3 factions, and being able to make your class your way is awesome.  TESO is going to be a awesome game.  I just may not get my hands on it. 

We're all keeping our eyes on several different games. Archage is one and EQ Next is another. Hard to say what I'll be doing when ESO is released. All I can say at this point is that it looks good and I'm interested.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PreythanPreythan Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

ESOL started out with some great words  about what the game would be and not be.Those words are quickly turning to ash with the decisions being made  during it's development.

I agree and will most likely wait until several reviews have posted to make my decision.  Although I do have a friend that is all geeked up about it and may just test the waters on his...

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Whats boring is certain folks *cough..posting the same general comments in every ESO thread. We get it, you're not interested. Millions of others will be. Sorry! Also, a lot of folks felt GW2 was a solid game. I thought it was. It didn't retain me past end level, but its one of the few games that kept me to end level.

There Is Always Hope!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I am not sure how ESO sounds like GW2 at all? The only similarity seems to be the 3 faction PvP. Even that is not the same at all, since you will have a LORE BASED RvR, rather than a pointless server vs server war with no real lore. 

Also, there will be a lot of features in ESO which GW2 doesn't have at all.

For example: 

1st person, 3rd person.

Every class can equip any type of armor and weapon.

There is actually a trinity-like system with templars being the main healers and dragonknights the tanks.

A world full of lore. (Don't get me wrong, GW2 has some lore in it, but nowhere near as much as The Elder Scrolls franchise)

Customizable Mounts.

Meaningful (hopefully) built-in Guilds, such as Warrior's Guild and Mage's Guild with their own skills and story unlike the pseudo-unique quest-line of GW2 with Order of whispers/Vigil/Priory.

Vampires and Werewolves.

No action house.

Fishing.

And many more features...

The most important though, ORCS! image

Actually the tanking comes from Heavy Armor + Sword & Board skill lines.  And the healing comes from the Healing Staff skill line.  Class means nothing as any class will be able to tank or heal if they equip the proper tools.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

In some ways it does sound similar, and in other ways it's different.

• Public Dungeons (ala EQ style)
    • No raids (at least GW2 has open-world raids)
    • No gear stat progression
    • 3-faction pvp limited to a dedicated area (WvW in GW)
    • No Auction House (or Trading Post as it's called in GW2)
    • Shared mob tagging
    Calling it a GW2 clone is an exaggeration, but they both seem to share some mechanics.
  • DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517
    I still don't understand why is this game named after Elder Scrolls.
  • RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

This game will blow GW2 out of the water (for me, personally) simply because to it having action combat (Not boring tab target hot bar combat of gw) and having a more defined trinity set up, which will make group content so much more enjoyable and accomplished.

Add in the ES setting, and ESO will simply be a much better game.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Not true friend, it's nothing like DAoC. This is the most laughable statement ever.  Some DAoC Devs and 3 factions that is about all it will have similar. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Not true friend, it's nothing like DAoC. This is the most laughable statement ever.  Some DAoC Devs and 3 factions that is about all it will have similar. 

Well, the no OW PvP except in RvR zone struck me as very DAoC-ish.  As someone who was a bit too young to remember DAoC in it's prime I had always considered games without a full OW PvP option to be extreme outliers until gw2.

• LunsheaLunshea Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

GW2 is a ok pve game...crafting is a nightmare.... and a certified looser with its WvW.

GW2 is one of the most popular mmo's in todays market, and WvW is known as the most important part of the game that keeps the playerbase steady (and even growing). So why do you find WvW making GW2 a 'certified loser'? That *you* personally didn't like it? Have you ever played the game (for more than 3 minutes)? *sigh* 

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

There are no ridiculous manga midgets with guns in TESO.

Therefore it is already far better in terms of genre form than GW2.

GW2 has many good elements, but flavour isn't one of them IMO.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

This game will blow GW2 out of the water (for me, personally) simply because to it having action combat (Not boring tab target hot bar combat of gw) and having a more defined trinity set up, which will make group content so much more enjoyable and accomplished.

So it's not like GW2, but like TERA?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    To be honest i think Everquest Next has stolen most games thunder.
  • tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Also as any self-respect rpg ESO has gear which u can actually use in pvp while in gw2 u cant pvp with your gear since all have the same items. That maysound more fair in order only skill being accountable in pvp but sadly it eliminates the meaning of character progression since u cant wear what u actuallly managed to earn throught your time in the game which sucks.
  • tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

So it's not like GW2, but like TERA?

Nah i think he meant something closer to oblivion and skyrim combat style not Tera.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Draftbeer
    I still don't understand why is this game named after Elder Scrolls.

They can make a turnbased cardgame with pictures and heroes from Elder Scrolls and It's still a Elder Scrolls game.

Elder Scrolls Arena is very different from Skyrim, you see Elder Scrolls games from the first one Arena to the last one Skyrim are not much a like both games are set in the same world and lore both games have 1st person, In Arena it was forced first person same as in Daggerfall not in the last 3, a lot of things have change during the many years in those singleplayer titles, TESO is just another change.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.