Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu: Weather System Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest developer blog has cropped up on the Age of Wushu site. In it, the team lays out the details for the weather system and have included a short video to show how weather effects will influence the game.

Currently under development, the active environmental system will first be available for Chinese servers and include a day/night cycle, seasons, weather, and much more. It’s more than just to look pretty though; weather will affect many aspects of the martial arts MMORPG, including certain skills and events.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"Currently under development, the active environmental system will first be available for Chinese servers and include a day/night cycle, seasons, weather, and much more. It’s more than just to look pretty though; weather will affect many aspects of the martial arts MMORPG, including certain skills and events."

From what i hear crops will grow differently, skills will be stronger/weaker depending on day/night, season and weather.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    So much wasted potential.. smh..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

Originally posted by Opapanax

you sound like the critics talking about labron james. The game aint perfect, but man has it broken the mold.  

From what I see Snail Games the developer is ingenious. Snail Usa, the host (5-10 people) on the other hand makes me believe at times that me and 7 of my friends could host a mmorpg.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Much like LBJ the criticism isn't about the game...

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Game just gets better and better.
  • HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Opapanax

you sound like the critics talking about labron james. The game aint perfect, but man has it broken the mold.  

From what I see Snail Games the developer is ingenious. Snail Usa, the host (5-10 people) on the other hand makes me believe at times that me and 7 of my friends could host a mmorpg.

What he means is the game is great, but the people hosting it, not so much. Snail China is doing a great job, while Snail USA is completely blowing it. 

We have issues from insane amount of hackers to botters taking parts of every event with teleport hacks. Snail USA also can't seem to get a working payment system. I myself have been stuck in limbo for 15 days now, they took my money, but have yet to give the gold purchase.

The translations are horrible, but slowly being fixed. VIP is basically a subscription for the game and very much needed if you want to take part of random encounters, which is a huge part of the game. The cash shop prices are about quadruple a normal F2P game's prices and almost nothing is a permanent purchase, all rentals except the newly released dragon scale costume and ferret.

The EU version, Age of Wulin, just went into beta, they already have good translations, better than age of wushu, a good support team, a working payment system, and MORE content then the american released version.

My prediction of Age of Wushu is that it will die very soon. I'm hoping gpotato will take over snail USA and just make an international version. I heard their latency isn't much different even though they are in the EU. Which is sad, because I live next to the snail servers and still get a 300 ping on good days.

Another good game running off the same lore of wuxia is Legend of Condor Hero: Zero. Check it out. I have higher hopes for it than wushu.

So in conclusion, I agree with what he said, it WOULD have been a great game, had snail USA had their act together. Sadly, they are completely understaffed and cannot properly handle the goldseller / botters :-/

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Great game, huge bot problem.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou

The EU version, Age of Wulin, just went into beta, they already have good translations, better than age of wushu, a good support team, a working payment system, and MORE content then the american released version.

My prediction of Age of Wushu is that it will die very soon. I'm hoping gpotato will take over snail USA and just make an international version. I heard their latency isn't much different even though they are in the EU. Which is sad, because I live next to the snail servers and still get a 300 ping on good days.

Whoa, are things really that bad over the pond? Because I'd honestly never wish gPotato on anyone if I could help it after that whole Allods Online debacle.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    Originally posted by Methos12

Whoa, are things really that bad over the pond? Because I'd honestly never wish gPotato on anyone if I could help it after that whole Allods Online debacle.

gpotato ain't no saint, but snailusa is a joke even for a f2p company.

There's a lot he said there that's been exaggerated quite a bit.

I think he's just trying to say come play Wulin!

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163

I didn't think I exaggerated that much at all O.o. Their support at least replies to people. The ping really is the same if not better for people across the ocean. EU has content usa ver does not, I will admit, this is what I'm told by those who switched over.  I never said gpotato was the best, but they at least get the job done -_-

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

no please stay on your NA servers

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I didn't think I exaggerated that much at all O.o. Their support at least replies to people. The ping really is the same if not better for people across the ocean. EU has content usa ver does not, I will admit, this is what I'm told by those who switched over.  I never said gpotato was the best, but they at least get the job done -_-

I agree, sorry but GPotato have out done SnailGames USA. I'm glad i can now play the European version, mmorpg should do a comparison review.

As for the Vid, it's a couple of weeks old.

>.> I'm gonna play age of wulin snailusa needs to die  and go out of business, freaking losers. The thing is they aren't even that greedy they're just extremely incompetent and terrible at their jobs, and who ever did the hiring for snailusa should be fired and never employed anywhere ever not even at mcdonalds.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I used to cringe at the thought of playing anything under gPotato after I tried out Allods.  However, now I cringe even more at the thought of going back to any game under the management of Snail USA.  Those guys are dragging a decent game into the mud a little bit each day.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Looks great, hope they change the sound of footsteps in the rain down the road though, that would drive me absolutely insane :p

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Final Fantasy XI has had weather that has done this since 2003. I don't understand why more MMOs haven't done this.
    Originally posted by Blazeyer
    Final Fantasy XI has had weather that has done this since 2003. I don't understand why more MMOs haven't done this.

Does the weather and seasons effect farming and skills in FF? Do the seasons effect the gathering of materials?

• NwyrveNwyrve Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Remember that gpotato now = Webzen. I know it's still not the best company, but hey, at least it's not the worst. :P
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Looks great, hope they change the sound of footsteps in the rain down the road though, that would drive me absolutely insane :p

My first thought. Loud footstep sounds are always awful.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

"Currently under development, the active environmental system will first be available for Chinese servers and include a day/night cycle, seasons, weather, and much more. It’s more than just to look pretty though; weather will affect many aspects of the martial arts MMORPG, including certain skills and events."

From what i here crops will grow differently, skills will be stronger/weaker depending on day/night, season and weather.

from what i heard it will change nothing

Originally posted by saurus123

From what i here crops will grow differently, skills will be stronger/weaker depending on day/night, season and weather.

Well perhaps you will be a good boy/girl and tell us where you heard the above, back up what you heard.

I'll tell you what i know about it shall i? ok

Age Of Wushu will also see a vastly upgraded weather, seasons and time system in the upcoming updates. There will be small rains, big rains, thunderstorms, sandstorms and more. For time wise, 1 month in the actual real world will be equivalent to a year in Age of Wushu.

Day system – Dawn, morning, noon, dusk, night (there is eclipse as well!)

Seasons and weather will affect other features as well, such as the type of plants growing in the wild, the growth rate of plants (slower in winter or none at all) and even cause fire skills to deal lesser damage during winter and other related skills to increase in damage.

There is more! With this active environment upgrade, powerful NPCs will make their appearances, sandstorms will reveal previously-hidden ancient ruins. These ruins are explorable! With all these unpredictable changes, a player might be the lucky one to obtain a miracle quest, learning some unique and awesome skills.

Source http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/04/age-of-wushu-new-unique-factions-coming-as-content-update/

mmorpg.com are seriously behind on anything Age Of Wushu lol.

Originally posted by CristianCeo
    Could have been something nice! Too bad the people that "manage" it are ONLY for the money and nothing else! I would have liked it...

Well that's why GPotato have out shinned and out done Snail Games USA, the European Age Of Wulin makes the US version look like a train wreck.

For once GPotato have really come through.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by saurus123

Well perhaps you will be a good boy/girl and tell us where you heard the above, back up what you heard.

Age Of Wushu will also see a vastly upgraded weather, seasons and time system in the upcoming updates. There will be small rains, big rains, thunderstorms, sandstorms and more. For time wise, 1 month in the actual real world will be equivalent to a year in Age of Wushu.

Seasons and weather will affect other features as well, such as the type of plants growing in the wild, the growth rate of plants (slower in winter or none at all) and even cause fire skills to deal lesser damage during winter and other related skills to increase in damage.

There is more! With this active environment upgrade, powerful NPCs will make their appearances, sandstorms will reveal previously-hidden ancient ruins. These ruins are explorable! With all these unpredictable changes, a player might be the lucky one to obtain a miracle quest, learning some unique and awesome skills.

Source http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/04/age-of-wushu-new-unique-factions-coming-as-content-update/

Is this a first, for any game? I sure as hell can't think of another.

Wushu is the best virtual world I've played. It's not even really close.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Is this a first, for any game? I sure as hell can't think of another.

Wushu is the best virtual world I've played. It's not even really close.

If I remember correctly Saga of Ryzom had this with the addition of animal herd migrations depending on the season.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.